* Offiical NBA Off-Season Thread: I'll give one of my damn kidney's for these Melo rumors to stop *

Updated: July 3, 2010, 10:07 PM ET

[h1]David Lee pays visit to Wolves[/h1]
MINNEAPOLIS -- Unlike Rudy Gay, free-agent forward David Lee kept his word and visited the Minnesota Timberwolves on Saturday. His agent says it was worth the trip.

Mark Bartelstein said his client "had a great visit" and was "really impressed" by the pitch put on by team president David Kahn, coach Kurt Rambis and the rest of the Timberwolves.

"You have to give David Kahn and Kurt a tremendous amount of credit," Bartelstein said. "They had an impressive proposal and really showed a lot of enthusiasm."

2772.jpg

Lee

Lee spent about nine hours in the Twin Cities, catching some of the Rays-Twins game with Kahn and Rambis before grabbing an evening flight home and Bartelstein said the two would talk things over. He declined to say if the Timberwolves made an offer.

Lee averaged 20.3 points and 11.7 rebounds for the New York Knicks last season and has been one of the most productive players in the league over the last three seasons.

"We had a very good meeting with David Lee today," Kahn said in a statement issued by the team. "We enjoyed getting to know David and providing him an opportunity to hear our vision for our team, and his potential role with us. This was the first step in the process and we will be in contact with his representatives later this week."

If the Timberwolves are to do a deal with Lee, it likely will require a sign and trade to make it happen. Agreeing to deals with Darko Milicic and Nikola Pekovic has eaten a big chunk of their cap space, which means the Wolves will almost assuredly have to deal Al Jefferson and his $13 million salary to create enough room for Lee.

The Wolves, whose 15 wins were the second-fewest in the league last season, had to be somewhat encouraged just when Lee showed up. In the opening minutes of free agency early Thursday morning, Kahn also secured a visit from Gay. But the small forward canceled the meeting at the last minute and agreed to a five-year contract worth more than $80 million to stay with the Memphis Grizzlies.

It appears that Gay was simply using the Timberwolves, and a few other teams, as leverage to get the best possible deal out of Memphis and underscored the uphill battle the Timberwolves face in this extremely competitive free-agent summer.

Minnesota is a smaller media market than Chicago, Miami or New York and the Wolves do not have near as much cap space as any of those teams. Lee has already met with the Heat and Bulls and Bartelstein said he still might visit with the Nets as well.

"Realistically it is a little bit of a different sales pitch," Bartelstein said. "Other teams like the Bulls, Miami, New Jersey, they've got the ability to add a star player and David. They're in a little different position in terms of being able to compete right away."

Kahn said last week that he thought it was important to get free agents to make visits to Minnesota in order to get a better idea of what the Twin Cities, and the Timberwolves, have to offer.

"I very much want people to come here and see the upgraded facilities, to meet Glen, to have a feel for the entire organization," Kahn said. "I think there are a lot of quality people that work here and are connected to this organization. The more they can meet those people during this process, I think, the better."

Kahn didn't think that the Timberwolves would have to get past any preconceived notions about snowy Minnesota, but he was aware of the incredible competition on the market this summer, competition that has already yielded enormous deals for the likes of Gay, Drew Gooden and Amir Johnson.

"The more teams that are competing for the services of one player, that tends to drive the price northward," Kahn said.

The Timberwolves love Lee's productivity and think he would be an ideal fit for their up-tempo offense. The hard part will be convincing Lee, or any other big-time free agent, to join the rebuilding effort.

"I think David [Kahn] is doing it the right way," Bartelstein said. "They probably have to make a heck of a pitch. But that's why they're there. David [Lee] is a really bright guy. He's got an open mind and we'll see what happens."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

Link

Originally Posted by TheGift23

Originally Posted by h3at23

sign up at http://lebronjames.com/ to find out 1st where he's going. That's how he's announcing his choice

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

what he needs to do is hold a press confrence at St.Vincents St Marys and have a hat of all the teams on a table. Then he needs to put on the team in which he picks. thats the best possible way
laugh.gif

hits to his website=$$$$$

so of course hes gonna let the fans know, millions of people hitting up his site and refreshing.

I can't see DLee going to Minnesota

KLove is plugged in at the 4, and DLee is NOT a center

why would he want to go to another *$%@%* team after dealing with the Knicks failures for 5 years

sucks to see him go anywhere..one of my favorite players
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif

Originally Posted by Steve Cash

hits to his website=$$$$$

so of course hes gonna let the fans know, millions of people hitting up his site and refreshing.

wont it crash tho

Originally Posted by hole in the earth

Originally Posted by Master Zik

Dirk is getting less money to continue to be ringless? Dude is just not smart. The Mavs window closed years ago. You getting older Dirk you should've put yourself in play this summer. If you really was okay with getting less money you could've went to Maimi or NY and help attract Bron, Wade, and Bosh.

This nice owner just keeps selling you his pipe dreams.
nah man I think you're just mad your Knicks didnt get him....
Not even. I like Dirk's game a lot and I actually want to see him when cuz dude been wasting away in Dallas. Cuban is a joke at this point. Just an owner that says he wants to win but has continued to fail with coaches and GMs and anything else. He'll probably get more fines than the Mavs win playoff games next season. I feel sorry for Dirk. Yeah  I would've liked him on the Knicks but I didn't think we ever has any chance to land him at all so it's not like i'm he's not on our team. I'm mad he's decided to continue to waste away on Dallas.

If anything, KG has shown me that the loyalty shtick aint cutting it if you are seriously competing in this league for championships.
Not everybody wants to chase a ring and ride someone else's coattails...
You call it chasing rings when the player is old and is on his way out and is getting a vet minimum contract and is most likely coming off the bench. This aint no Gary Payton scenario. You call it smart and being competitive when you decide to change teams with a fresh start and win. Dirk is a #1 option and doesn't ride coattails. He's a starter dropping 20 per game. If he had teamed up with Wade or gone to the Knicks and attracted LeBron there nobody would be saying "Oh Dirk is just banking on Wade/Bron to get him a ring." Who in the hell would really see Dirk deciding to team up with Bron or Wade as him riding their coattails? Besides that yall think Dirk got that type of ego in the first place where he as to be the #1 guy and can't share the spotlight?

I mean seriously the Mavs are just a team that fills a spot in the playoffs. Maybe make it to the conference finals to get dominated by the Lakers.

Zik

First off, Dallas was 2 seed in the West last year with a roster that was completely revamped in the middle of the season. They can be even better next year not even counting the extra cap flexibility created by Dirk's move. Who in the West is getting better right now? All I see East teams taking West stars (Amare, Boozer, etc.) Nobody in the West is making moves at all. Mavs will be top-4 in the West no doubt next year.
How can you say Cuban just "says" he wants to win when all he does is make moves. He pulled off one of the bigger trades last year and two years before that. It didn't fully work but at least he tried. Plus, it's widely known that he treats his players the best with creature comforts and all that. No way you can dismiss Cuban as a bad owner. I would love for any team I root for to have an owner like Cuban. Dirk probably just has too much locked up in Dallas, through just the community and friends he's built for all these years plus he probably trusts Cuban when he says that they will make a move. Will they? I don't know. However, I wouldn't bet against it.

There is a lot of uncertainty (in regards to rings) in any decision he makes but more comfort in staying in Dallas.

My main point is Cuban hasn't been cutting it in the past 7 years and imo it would make more sense for Dirk to make the move and try to succeed with another team. Not waste away on Dallas but hey maybe Dirk's that loyal or that cautious and needs 100% assurance before he would seriously think of jumping ship. If he's staying cuz he's comfortable guess it makes no difference and there's no helping his situation.

Also I never said Cuban was a bad owner once. I don't think that at all. I think dude has overconfidence in his non finals teams.

WojYahooNBA

With final touches nearly complete to $119 million maximum contract, Joe Johnson on brink of officially accepting Hawks deal, sources tell Y

Johnson's been focused on completing Atlanta deal and sides have been working out various terms. Bulls and Knicks have long since moved on.

I don't like the phrase on Lebron's website where it says "Find out why it's always been about more than just basketball" or something to that effect. That doesn't bode well for his title hopes.

Originally Posted by Mitchellicious

I don't like the phrase on Lebron's website where it says "Find out why it's always been about more than just basketball" or something to that effect. That doesn't bode well for his title hopes.

Thank you for this insightful analysis. ugh. Reading into a website posting? Let's not overanalyze this. "More than just basketball" could mean anything and everything.

Originally Posted by bijald0331

Originally Posted by Mitchellicious

Thank you for this insightful analysis. ugh. Reading into a website posting? Let's not overanalyze this. "More than just basketball" could mean anything and everything.
Or it could mean "I'm the next Karl Malone". I'm juss sayin'.

Originally Posted by Doe Or Die 22

Everybody givin' Dirk props. Pierce left more on the table than Dirk.

I love Pierce but hes on the decline, do you honestly think the Celtics offered him the max? if so then slap yourself. No one would have offered him 96 mill over 4 years. Dirk would get the max from anyone and was offered it by the Mavs but took less. It wouldnt surprise me if Dirk was averaging 20ppg at 35-36. he doesnt rely on his athleticism at all. hes 32 now and playing better than ever.

"More than just basketball" is open to interpretation. I know Knicks fan could see that as a pro for them. I see what you saying as far as it being about loyalty though.

Yup, that's why I think Dirk still has plenty of opportunities left to get a ring legitimately. He's got 4 years with the Mavs as their #1 option and I honestly don't see him hitting a huge decline in his skills. By the end of his deal w/ Dallas, he'll be 35 and I can see him still averaging at least 18 ppg. Then if they fail and he still doesn't have a ring, I can see him just signing w/ whatever team would give him the best chance to win (LeBron, Durant, Tyreke and Cousins, etc.) and be the 3rd option for 2 years to try to get that ring in one last push.

Originally Posted by LiL Stevie728

Yup, that's why I think Dirk still has plenty of opportunities left to get a ring legitimately. He's got 4 years with the Mavs as their #1 option and I honestly don't see him hitting a huge decline in his skills. By the end of his deal w/ Dallas, he'll be 35 and I can see him still averaging at least 18 ppg. Then if they fail and he still doesn't have a ring, I can see him just signing w/ whatever team would give him the best chance to win (LeBron, Durant, Tyreke and Cousins, etc.) and be the 3rd option for 2 years to try to get that ring in one last push.
So keep trying for 4 years in Dallas and if they fail then become a ring chaser.

so Amare is going to go to new york and just have his career rot? they arent a playoff team with him and scrubs so they better get another guy who can create....

Back
Top Bottom