* Offiical NBA Off-Season Thread: I'll give one of my damn kidney's for these Melo rumors to stop *

Originally Posted by nicedudewithnicedreams

Rudy Gay should not be getting franchise player money anyways. He's stayed consistently the same since his second year in the league. I doubt he will ever turn into a complete max player. $8-12 million/year should be reasonable for him.
8-12 per year when guys like John Salmons are about to make 8per???  This market was messed up the second Drew Gooden got 32 mil from the Bucks......Nah bro....he's gonna be getting something close to 100 mil over 6-7 seasons.....

These GMs have been so pent up waiting for 2010 that now they've lost their minds.

I rather the bulls strike out then over pay for bums like some of these teams are doing

All that money for Rudy gay eh

Gay's starting salary will be the maximum allowed aplayer with his experience...
smh.gif

Why?

Financially this was kind of dumb on Memphis' part.

They could have waited until he visited Minny (or somewhere else) andwas offered a contract. That contract would have been less than what hegot (no other team could have offered Gay that much money because when you're restricted your own team can offer you the most $). Then theycould have matched that contract, kept Gay, and saved millions ofdollars.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by nicedudewithnicedreams

Rudy Gay should not be getting franchise player money anyways. He's stayed consistently the same since his second year in the league. I doubt he will ever turn into a complete max player. $8-12 million/year should be reasonable for him.
8-12 per year when guys like John Salmons are about to make 8per???  This market was messed up the second Drew Gooden got 32 mil from the Bucks......Nah bro....he's gonna be getting something close to 100 mil over 6-7 seasons.....
As I pointed out, Gay has not improved enough since his second year to warrant a bigger contract than $8-12 million/year for me. I know he is young so he still has potential to turn into a legit franchise player, but I doubt it. Also, similar players from a couple years back like Kevin Martin ($55 million/5 year) and Danny Granger ($60 million/5 year) got contracts around that range.

John Salmons played better than his $25 million/5 year deal when given the chance. $8 million might be high for his age, but he can put up numbers similar to Gay to be honest if he was the focal point.  

Originally Posted by h3at23

chrisbosh

About to head in the first meeting. Looking forward to seeing what Miami has to offer. #staytuned
whys he acting like he doesnt know what they got to offer. Hes signing there to play with Wade unless he doesnt plan on ever accomplishing anything in his NBA career.

Originally Posted by JPZx

They could have waited until he visited Minny (or somewhere else) andwas offered a contract. That contract would have been less than what hegot (no other team could have offered Gay that much money because when you're restricted your own team can offer you the most $). Then theycould have matched that contract, kept Gay, and saved millions ofdollars.
I'm guessing management didn't want to deal with a front loaded contract or trade kickers.

src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385">

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Originally Posted by JPZx

I'm guessing management didn't want to deal with a front loaded contract or trade kickers.
Just like I had thought.
@WojYahooNBA Grizz worried of Rudy Gay signing a frontloaded offersheet of $20 mill in 1st year and made a preemptive strike with max
Still crazy how he got the max off the bat.

with all the free agents signing back with their teams the big winners will be teh teams that dont over spend on lesser talents

No way rudy gay is worth that much money

Yeah, the Blazers signed Millsap to a front loaded contract last year. So, the Grizzlies wanted to avoid that. Rudy Gay as a max dude though, is another story.

The Knicks are offering a big 3 package themselves. They're trying to convince guys to sign a 5 year 15.7M type deal, in which they can opt out after 3 years. That's when they'll own their Bird rights and then can give them more $. And then they still have Curry's contract that comes off the books next year, to entice another big name 2011 FA.

And the Suns are offering Frye a 5 year 25M deal.

Originally Posted by franchise3

Yeah, the Blazers signed Millsap to a front loaded contract last year. So, the Grizzlies wanted to avoid that. Rudy Gay as a max dude though, is another story.

The Knicks are offering a big 3 package themselves. They're trying to convince guys to sign a 5 year 15.7M type deal, in which they can opt out after 3 years. That's when they'll own their Bird rights and then can give them more $. And then they still have Curry's contract that comes off the books next year, to entice another big name 2011 FA.

And the Suns are offering Frye a 5 year 25M deal.

I would take that if I were Frye, but I'm sure like many other FA's, he's looking at the obvious situations going on before he makes a final decision.

[h3]Teams still pursuing CP3[/h3]
Last week Chris Paul trade talk hit a frenzy before the Hornets went public and stated they had no intention of trading Paul.

This week a league source told me that the Blazers actually made some progress toward landing Paul.

According to the source, the Blazers got close to a deal with the Hornets last week that would’ve sent Andre Miller, Joel Przybilla, Nicolas Batum, Jerryd Bayless and the 22nd pick to New Orelans for Paul and Emeka Okafor before Hornets GM Jeff Bower pulled out of the deal claiming that their owner wasn’t ready to trade Paul.

The Hornets no longer need to trade Paul for financial reasons. The trade they made on draft night with the Oklahoma City Thunder got them out of the luxury tax, so that’s no longer the issue.

The issue is whether Paul is now unhappy enough to force a trade. The Blazers believe he is and will continue to pursue a Paul deal. They won't be alone.

Both the Knicks and Nets are planning to step up pressure on the Hornets if they don't land LeBron. Both teams can offer massive cap relief to the Hornets if they take Paul and Okafor off their hands. The Knicks could also offer Danilo Gallinari. The Nets can offer Derrick Favors and Devin Harris.

Back
Top Bottom