* Offiical NBA Off-Season Thread: I'll give one of my damn kidney's for these Melo rumors to stop *

That's a good point. But wouldn't Wade be making the same amount, since he's resigning with his own team/getting that extra year? Definitely make more than Bron though.

I'm posting this is all of the FA threads, just to help people who are confused or choose to ignore the cap info.
http://espn.go.com/nba/da...-100629/cap-room-summary
We're in the midst of an arms race. Teams have spent as much as two years preparing for this week -- for example, Knicks president of basketball operations Donnie Walsh's first order of business upon taking the reins in 2008 was to circle Thursday, July 1, 2010 on his calendar. Every move he's made since then has been with an eye on this week.

With this year's banner crop of free agents about to hit the open market, teams are racing to get as lean as possible -- trying to shed any extra salary in order to wave a maximum offer at LeBron James, Dwyane Wade or Chris Bosh. Perhaps two of them. Dare they hope for all three?

The race picked up at the February trade deadline. The Knicks sacrificed Jordan Hill and future draft considerations for the chance to remove Jared Jeffries' expensive contract from their books. With a deal that extended through the 2010-11 season, Jeffries was a liability. The Clippers moved Al Thornton for Drew Gooden's ending contract. The Bulls did the same with John Salmons, acquiring the ending contracts of Hakim Warrick and Joe Alexander.

This month's draft saw a final flurry of activity before the free-agent gates open. The Heat gave away the 18th pick -- point guard Eric Bledsoe -- and Daequan Cook to the Thunder. The Bulls dumped Kirk Hinrich and first-round pick Kevin Seraphin for a future second-round pick from the Wizards.

These teams are now lean and mean, and ready to go shopping.

No fewer than eight teams are within striking distance of having the ability to offer a maximum free-agent contract. Four of them are imagining life with two new superstars in their fold. But some of these teams still have work to do if they want to see their plans come to fruition.

We'll adopt a new unit of measure for this review -- the MC. Just as "grand" is common parlance for $1,000, an MC refers to a specific dollar amount. In fact, a very specific amount -- $16,568,908. This is the maximum salary to which LeBron James, Chris Bosh or Dwyane Wade can be signed. One MC equals $16,568,908; two MCs equal $33,137,816. When we refer to a team having two MCs, it means it has enough cap room to sign two of the premier free agents to maximum salary contracts.

But this science is inexact -- for one, players have different maximum salaries. A player can sign for up to 105 percent of his previous salary, even if it's above the league-wide maximum. This is how the $16,568,908 value of the MC was derived -- James, Bosh and Wade each made $15,779,912 in 2009-10. But some players like Amare Stoudemire had higher salaries in 2009-10, so their 2010-11 maximum salary is also higher. Stoudemire's maximum salary is $18,770,405, so a franchise hoping to land the former Sun might need to clear extra cap room. Dirk Nowitzki and Paul Pierce have a maximum of $20,785,500; Yao Ming's is $17,197,241.

Teams in the hunt for two maximum free agents are helped a little bit by the cap holds associated with empty roster spots. If a team has fewer than 12 roster spots accounted for by a player, an unsigned first-round draft pick or free-agent Bird rights, then it incurs a cap hold equivalent to the rookie minimum salary -- $473,604 -- for each spot fewer than 12. If a team has two MCs -- $33,137,816 -- then it actually has slightly more than enough to sign two maximum free agents. One cap hold is released when the team signs its first free agent, freeing $473,604 from its cap and giving it a little extra spending power.

With all that said, here are the players in this summer's free-agent hunt.

New York Knicks
Maximum cap room: 2.06 MCs

What needs to happen to get to this amount? Renounce all free agents. The Knicks also have the ability to hang on to David Lee's Bird rights, which would leave them with about 1.5 MCs -- they can't sign two maximum free agents and keep Lee.

What can they do to get more? As expected, Eddy Curry invoked his contract option and his $11.3 million salary remains on the Knicks' books. There isn't much hope of getting to three MCs.

New Jersey Nets
Maximum cap room: 2.00 MCs

What needs to happen to get to this amount? Kris Humphries must decline his contract option and become a free agent. The Nets also need to renounce all free agents.

What can they do to get more? The Nets were about $3.33 million short of two MCs, and needed to find a taker for Yi Jianlian. They did exactly that on Tuesday, sending Yi to the Wizards for Quinton Ross. Mikhail Prokhorov's team now has the wherewithal to land two maximum free agents -- potentially upstaging the neighboring Knicks.

Chicago Bulls
Maximum cap room: 1.76 MCs

What needs to happen to get to this amount? The Bulls did most of the hard work in February and June. All that's left is to renounce their own free agents, such as Brad Miller.

What can they do to get more? Contrary to recent reports, the Bulls do not have enough cap room to sign two maximum free agents. To get to the elusive two-MC threshold the Bulls would have to clear another $3.5 million from their books. Their best -- albeit unlikely -- bet would be to try to find a taker for Luol Deng's enormous contract, hoping to slide LeBron James into his vacated spot.

Dumping James Johnson, Taj Gibson, Chris Richard and Rob Kurz would not generate the needed cap room -- the cap holds associated with the four vacated roster spots would consume much of the cap room that would be freed by their departure.

Miami Heat
Maximum cap room: 1.67 MCs (with Wade re-signed); 2.64 MCs (if Wade leaves)

What needs to happen to get to this amount?: This may be counterintuitive, but the Heat gain more cap room if Wade becomes a free agent than if he invokes the option in his contract to stay with the team through 2010-11. Wade needs to become a free agent. The Heat already have declined the team option on Kenny Hasbrouck. They also released James Jones, whose $4.65 million salary was guaranteed for just $1.86 million -- clearing an additional $2.79 million from the team's books.

What can they do to get more? There's not much left to trim from their roster. To keep Wade and go after both James and Bosh, they'd need to convince at least one of the free agents to take less. Even moving Michael Beasley and Mario Chalmers for nothing wouldn't create enough cap room to sign all three star free agents at the full maximum.

Los Angeles Clippers
Maximum cap room: 1.02 MCs

What needs to happen to get to this amount? The Clippers did most of their work at the February trade deadline, and have just enough cap room to sign one maximum free agent (but not a player with a higher maximum such as Amare Stoudemire). But will players come?

What can they do to get more? It's no secret that the Clippers aren't enamored with Baron Davis' contributions over the last two seasons, and would welcome a reasonable deal to unload his expensive contract. But even dumping Davis for nothing wouldn't be enough to get the Clippers to two MCs.

Sacramento Kings
Maximum cap room: 0.93 MCs

What needs to happen to get to this amount? Renounce all free agents.

What can they do to get more? The Kings lost their ability to sign a maximum free agent when they traded for Samuel Dalembert earlier this month. Another $1.21 million needs to come off the books to clear enough cap room. This could be accomplished by removing Omri Casspi's $1.25 million salary.

Milwaukee Bucks
Maximum cap room: 0.92 MCs

What needs to happen to get to this amount? Renounce all free agents.

What can they do to get more? To get to one MC the Bucks need to trim another $1.37 million from the payroll. Waiving Carlos Delfino -- signed for $3.5 million but guaranteed for just $500,000 -- would get the job done.

Washington Wizards
Maximum cap room: 0.45 MCs

What needs to happen to get to this amount? Decline Josh Howard's team option, renounce all free agents.

What can they do to get more? By acquiring Kirk Hinrich and the rights to first-round pick Kevin Seraphin from the Bulls, the Wizards took themselves off the market for a maximum free agent. Trading Quinton Ross for Yi Jianlian further cemented their role as a team that will not be swinging for the fences this summer.

That meeting ESPNot reported NEVER happened in Miami this weekend.

Source: Wade, James and Bosh have talked of splitting Heat cash

MIAMI —
A source close to Miami Heat free-agent guard Dwyane Wade has confirmed that in recent days Wade not only has addressed the possibility of playing alongside Cleveland Cavaliers forward LeBron James and Toronto Raptors forward Chris Bosh, but has discussed the financial machinations.

The Sun Sentinel has learned that the three star free agents have gone as far as to acknowledge that it might not be possible for the Heat to clear the needed space to start each of the three at the $16.6 million maximum salary that they would be eligible for in the first year of new contracts.

According to the source, the three have agreed to consider to "split the money up," if need be.

However, an ESPN report of the three prime free agents meeting this past weekend in South Florida has been widely disputed, with agent Henry Thomas, who represents both Wade and Bosh, saying that Wade was not in South Florida this past weekend.

"Dwyane was not in Miami this weekend," Thomas said. "That is untrue."

As for a possible meeting last week at a players union meeting in Las Vegas, of the three, only Wade attended those sessions.

"I said when it first broke about that, that the guys would undoubtedly talk with each other, which they have. That's not a surprise to anyone," Thomas said. "But this meeting this weekend in Miami just did not take place. Dwyane was not in Miami this weekend."

By unloading the $4.96 million 2010-11 salary on the contract of forward Michael Beasley, as well as potentially minimizing the cap hit of the buyout of forward James Jones, the Heat would be on the cusp of being able to extend maximum offers to Wade, James and Bosh.

With Cleveland not appearing receptive to working with James on a sign-and-trade transaction, it would limit the forward to a five-year contract, should he sign outright with the Heat. Wade, by re-signing with his own team, could receive a six-year contract instead. Bosh, however, is seeking such a six-year package.

Bosh could be accommodated in such a scenario by the Heat either sending Beasley to the Raptors or including him in a multiple-team trade that involves Toronto. The Heat also could send draft picks to Toronto, including the Raptors' future first-round pick the Heat currently holds, as a means of Bosh receiving his maximum contract length.

According to the source, a strong sense that the three might play together next season in South Florida came together only in recent days, although it had been discussed previously by the three.

Originally Posted by franchise3

That's a good point. But wouldn't Wade be making the same amount, since he's resigning with his own team/getting that extra year? Definitely make more than Bron though.
yea Bosh and Wade would be making the same amount but Bron would be making less, idk if he cares about that or not
ohwell.gif

I dont like what's going on in Miami one bit though
tired.gif

I might be in the minority, but i really hope bosh, wade, and james don't ALL play in miami next season. It just would'nt be right for the rest of the league. Its nice to see superstars thru out the league as durant in OKC, D-12 in O-town, Kobe in LA, Nash in PHX, and so on........If all 3 of those marquee players end up with 1 team then its a wrap for the other 29 teams in the NBA. We talking a dynasty in the making

Originally Posted by franchise3

Lebatard is reporting the Heat will try to S&T Beasley, Chalmers, and Joel Anthony for Bosh.

Moving Beasley and Chalmers will give the Heat the room to throw 3 max deals.

smh.gif

Um is that three max deals and then sign Wade? That's scary. If they were serious about it then can't they just find a team to absorb Beas/Chalmers as long as that team has cap space? Then sign three?And it is three max deals plus Wade right? Instead of going for max guys like Amare I think they'd be better off trying to lure David Lee and Ray Allen instead of one Max guy. Wade. Jesus. Lebron. Bosh.Lee.
sick.gif
. I am assuming this right though aren't I? Three max deals plus Wade? Or just three max deals?They could resign JO too if they really wanted or needed to. What other centers and shooting guards are available that could get ~10 mill a yr?

I thought moving Beasley alone would give the Heat room for 3 max deals. But the article Big J posted states otherwise. So I dunno.

Originally Posted by CP1708

"Would you be willing to take less to join Dream Team?" 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
What a douche. 

As for JJ, he might be able to play SF for a few minutes here or there, but for 82 games, 38 minutes a night?  Naw, I think he would wear down in that scenario. 
Taking less money only works when the stars lead by example like TD.  And for JJ, he'd probably like playing Point before moving to SF.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

No, Wade has a cap hold with the team...so it would be two (near?) max contracts with Wade.

Meaning? Can't you override the cap if you're resigning with your previous team? They can't sign three then Wade eh? Cap hold? Since he was on the team previously does it restrict them somehow? What's cap hold? :?

Isn't it something like him resigning would count 200% against the cap? Not sure but I think it's along those lines.

Anyway, if I'm Bosh I need to make more money on a contract that Bron or Wade. Like Mike said, Bron can make up any lost money easily and so can Wade. What does Bosh promote or endorse for him to make up taking less than the max?

I think Miami is going to end up screwing themselves after FA is over.

Anything short of "the big 2" (Wade/Lebron) is going to be a massive failure.

If they dont get both of those guys, that roster has a chance of looking awful next year.

[h2]
[h2]Nuggets Might Be Willing To Trade Carmelohttp://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67597/20100630/nuggets_might_be_willing_to_trade_carmelo/[/h2]
Anthony_Carmelo_den_091203.jpg

Jun 30, 2010 3:26 AM EST

den_40.gif
Despite discussing a contract extension with Carmelo Anthony, sources close to the situation indicate the Nuggets would rather trade him than risk losing him in free agency for nothing.

The Nuggets are attempting to be proactive by securing Anthony to an extension this summer. He will become a free agent on July 1, 2011 if he doesn't sign an extension.
[/h2]

Interesting. Seems like a bluff move on Denver's part... basically saying that if you don't cooperate we could ship you off to some crap team.  Melo is a max player though, so I don't know why they're unwilling to just pay the man.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

No, Wade has a cap hold with the team...so it would be two (near?) max contracts with Wade.
Meaning? Can't you override the cap if you're resigning with your previous team? They can't sign three then Wade eh? Cap hold? Since he was on the team previously does it restrict them somehow? What's cap hold? :?
A "cap hold" is the calculated salary slot that a team must reserve for a free agent if they want to retain that free agent's "Bird rights". That is, if they want to be able to exceed the cap to resign the free agent. In order for a team to not be charged a cap hold, they must renounce that free agent, which means they cannot resign them. Oftentimes, the cap hold is bigger than the actual salary that the player is likely to get. If a free agent is quickly resigned, then the player's new salary becomes the cap figure and the cap hold is no longer calculated.
Source

I'd laugh my +!@ off if the summer of 07? 08? Happened with baron/brand happens where they all swap teams in hopes to come to one team but it all gets messed up
laugh.gif

regardless there are a ton of free agents who have to find a home. I have a feeling the nets and knicks may have roster full of bums if they miss out on bron Wade and bosh.

Even with all the rumors of meetings, discussions, playdates at Dave and Busters, or whatever the media has said, I've never believed Lebron and Wade would player together. While I think the Lebron to Chicago and playing in MJ's shadow is completely overblown, I definitely think going to Wade's team, which is what it is and always will be, is too much for Lebron. Both of them want to take the last shot, both want to be alpha dog, both want the glory. Citing the Olympics as proof isn't enough, Wade came off the bench and that was a rare time when EVERYONE wanted the same thing for a short time.

Resign Wade, lock up Bosh, then use your remaining money to get players better than the minimum. Ray Allen, Korver, resign Haslem, go after some big guys, etc. That works and makes more sense than Lebron and Wade sharing the same stage.

Probably just a bluff by Denver. Saying basically "if you don't cooperate, we'll ship you off to some bad team". That was huge contract they offered him man... dude might see what's going on with Lebron, Bosh, Wade, etc. right now and be interested in doing it himself next year.

what ever happened with that deng to orlando rumor..

let's say bosh ends up in miami.. how do you guys think david lee would work in chicago with lebron?

you then can have a lineup of:
rose
whoever they can find who can make open 3s (reddick would be good.. and they would have money left over since lee wouldn't need to max)
lebron
lee
noah

then you have gibson and deng on the bench (if deng isn't traded)

I'd laugh my ##+ off if the summer of 07? 08? Happened with baron/brand happens where they all swap teams in hopes to come to one team but it all gets messed up
laugh.gif

regardless there are a ton of free agents who have to find a home. I have a feeling the nets and knicks may have roster full of bums if they miss out on bron Wade and bosh.

I'd laugh my #!+ off if the summer of 07? 08? Happened with baron/brand happens where they all swap teams in hopes to come to one team but it all gets messed up
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Even with all the rumors of meetings, discussions, playdates at Dave and Busters, or whatever the media has said, I've never believed Lebron and Wade would player together. While I think the Lebron to Chicago and playing in MJ's shadow is completely overblown, I definitely think going to Wade's team, which is what it is and always will be, is too much for Lebron. Both of them want to take the last shot, both want to be alpha dog, both want the glory. Citing the Olympics as proof isn't enough, Wade came off the bench and that was a rare time when EVERYONE wanted the same thing for a short time.

Resign Wade, lock up Bosh, then use your remaining money to get players better than the minimum. Ray Allen, Korver, resign Haslem, go after some big guys, etc. That works and makes more sense than Lebron and Wade sharing the same stage.
Just look at this past season's ASG when both were gunning for MVP. LeBron looked salty while Wade accepted the MVP.
laugh.gif

Okay that really wasn't a serious example.

Exactly... Lebron is one of my favorite players in the league, and he looked beyond pissed.... that was plain as day.

itsaboutthattime, I agree, Lee could be a great value at less than the max and give teams more flexibility... but that's going to be people's backup plans, they want a big name and "superstar".

Originally Posted by Durden7

I think Miami is going to end up screwing themselves after FA is over.

Anything short of "the big 2" (Wade/Lebron) is going to be a massive failure.

If they dont get both of those guys, that roster has a chance of looking awful next year.

laugh.gif
 Bruh , you don't know what you're talking about.

Back
Top Bottom