* Offiical NBA Off-Season Thread: I'll give one of my damn kidney's for these Melo rumors to stop *

C's should just blow up the team. It's being reported he can land a 4 year 93ishM type deal with the C's, and a 4 year type deal with other clubs. You bring back PP at 4 years 93M, you gotta bring back Ray too, or it's all for naught.

Can't really blame PP for opting out. He's 33 so he wants one last contract. It's nice to get 21M this year, but one serious injury and he ain't even seeing anything close to that after next year.

who the hell would pay a 33 year old injury prone dude like pierce 23 mill a year for 4 years though? thats bad buisness....

It's sorta like what BDiddy did when he opted. Won't get the max he can get, but will end up getting more long term security. He'll get at least 10-12M per from some team.

Good move by Pierece. He could get some good money in a contract... He knows it might be his last shot at some big money, so why not take advantage.

Noblekane...did you forget what league this is? Brian freaking Cardinal got big money, so Paul Pierce (Who deserves it) can too.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Originally Posted by CP1708

To sit back and watch a 25 year old go in his prime at the top of his game, FOR NOTHING, is NOT how you run a business. 
Basically... I don't care how you wanna look at it... Letting an asset like LeBron James just walk away and get NOTHING out of it because you don't 't want to do him any favors is bad business.

If he's gonna leave, you're screwed regardless. Might as well do yourself the favor of getting out of one or two of those contracts and acquiring future assets (young player, picks?) on the way out.

I wouldn't take on Luol Deng or Michael Beasley. No reason to. Just as an example because it's the easiest one off hand, the Mavericks could damn near take on Boobie, Andy, and Mo with a combination of Dampier, Caron, Stevenson, trade exception, Barea and Roddy Beaubois... Throw in two draft picks and the Cavs are in SIGNIFICANTLY better shape than they'd be with those guys AND no LeBron... Not saying that's an easy decision or something you absolutely jump at, but it's something you have to at least think about if you concede that you're just not going to be able to keep LBJ around, isn't it?

Kidd/Mo
Terry/Boobie
Bron
Dirk/Marion
Andy V/Damp/Haywood?

Eh, not bad.
laugh.gif

Look, either you let Bron walk if that's what he decides to, and then say you AT LEAST take back a pick or two, or whatever. You take back some young, cheap talent, maybe an expiring good role player (like a Caron Butler), and just fill out what you need to with the trade.

WHY WOULDN'T you? What are the disadvantages?

Bron leaves happy, you get something when you could have had nothing, there, cheer up champ.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd like to think some owners would like to treat their ex-stars nicely once they leave (like if Dirk wanted to leave this year, try and work out a S+T, just let him go, get something in return).

Originally Posted by franchise3

Ok, Lebron says he's leaving, and Cleveland says, let's work out a S&T so we can recoup SOMETHING at least. A piece or two here, or, unload some contracts on the other team.

The question is...why? Bron has the option to sign to said team outright, thus preserving his new team's cap space/pieces that would go via trade, or, work out a S&T, and then bring over dudes like AV, Mo, whoever to his new team. Why would Bron decide to leave these dudes, only for them to be bunched up to his new team?

It looks great for Cleveland, Lebron leaves, hey, we want stuff back, or, take some bad contracts off our hands, but why would Lebron buy into all that?

Kobe was about to be a Bull, but once he found out Deng wasn't going to be there, it wasn't as appealing. Same thing here with Bron. Why mess up his new team's cap landscape, when he can just peace out, albeit, take 30M less over the course of the deal.

Finally, you have to take into account what pieces do these gutted teams even have to offer the Cavs? Unless Bron wants to go to Dallas or something, there's not much to take back to begin with.

THIS THIS AND THIS

about time my boy post something smart LOL

and everyone that can opt out and get more money will this offseason and everyone that can sign a max extension(like melo and KD) will this offseason because of the new CBA that will come in and lower everything

Man, I would love Paul Pierce on the Hornets.

Knowing that it would take a ton of reshuffling to afford him and the voids trades would create, my best-case scenario for the Hornets this off-season is Matt Barnes and Ian Mahinmi.

Okafor/Gray/Mahinmi
West/Posey, unfortunately/Brackins
Stojakovic/Pondexter
Barnes/Thornton
Paul/Collison

*Songaila and Wright traded

That's a two playoff series-win team, at best. Probably one.
ohwell.gif

Collison and Posey have to be traded if a big splash is going to be made. Have to.

[h1]Stoudemire, Suns make progress[/h1]
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 52 minutes ago

Amar’e Stoudemire(notes) and his agent met for several hours with Phoenix Suns owner Robert Sarver on Tuesday night and gathered momentum on a possible contract extension, team sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Sarver and Suns coach Alvin Gentry met with Stoudemire and his agent Happy Walters in Los Angeles, and made a case for the All-Star forward to stay with the Suns.

Sources say the two sides are expected to resume talks on Wednesday, and Stoudemire is holding off opting out of the final $17.6 million season of his deal to make him a free agent. Free agency begins at midnight ET, and sources say it’s still possible Stoudemire will opt out of his contract and continue negotiations with the Suns while also meeting with other teams.

Stoudemire is considered one of the elite free agents on the market. He’s a target of several teams with salary-cap space, including the New York Knicks, New Jersey Nets, Miami Heat and several more capped-out teams that will try to engineer sign-and-trade deals with Phoenix.

Stoudemire, 27, averaged 23.1 points and 8.9 rebounds for the Suns last season. Along with Steve Nash(notes), he helped lead the Suns to the Western Conference finals, where they lost in six games to the Los Angeles Lakers. Despite a history of knee and eye injuries, Stoudemire didn’t miss a game last season.

Stoudemire was drafted out of high school with the ninth overall pick in 2002, and spent eight seasons with the Suns.

[h1]Raptors look at Bosh sign-and-trade options[/h1]
By Marc J. Spears, Yahoo! Sports Staff 3 hours, 28 minutes ago

The Toronto Raptors have begun to assess which players they would try to obtain in potential sign-and-trade transactions involving free-agent forward Chris Bosh(notes).

Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo told a Toronto radio station he thinks Bosh “likely

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

My main question is why so many of you think that these cats will walk away from 30 million GUARANTEED.

lebron is the only one that will do it because he would make it up so easy off the court. and if by some luck wade bounce he could make it up all off the court

everyone else cant make what those guys do off the court. this why bosh has already been on record saying he wants a S&T and if Amare left he would be asking for one also.

im not sure why its so hard to figure out why bron could leave the money on the table and be ok. but then again your trying to force the bron to the mavs issue on everyone so not a shock

It's not that we think they'll leave 30M on the table.

The root of it is, that's the only thing the Cavs can hold over Lebron's head.

Leave, and leave 30M on the table, because we're not interested in a S&T

Whether they actually follow through if push comes to shove, we'll see.

Until then, they can't say anything but that, and pray.

I can't picture any marquee free agent signing with the Nets. They have always been in the shadow of the Knicks, even during the J.Kidd/Jefferson/K.Mart era. Aside from Brook Lopez, the other guys on the team are all blah. Now maybe if they got John Wall, it would have made them more attractive. But fragile ol' Devin Harris ain't enticing anybody to want to come to the Nyets.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

My main question is why so many of you think that these cats will walk away from 30 million GUARANTEED.

lebron is the only one that will do it because he would make it up so easy off the court. and if by some luck wade bounce he could make it up all off the court

everyone else cant make what those guys do off the court. this why bosh has already been on record saying he wants a S&T and if Amare left he would be asking for one also.

im not sure why its so hard to figure out why bron could leave the money on the table and be ok. but then again your trying to force the bron to the mavs issue on everyone so not a shock
When has any max player of his caliber ever taken less money then he could have gotten?

I'll wait.

Originally Posted by PapaPrem

Shaquille no? When he left Orlando for the Lakers.
121/7 years?

I don't know how it works, but I do know he made 23 million in 03, almost 25 in 04, and almost 28 million in 05.

It's possible, it rounds out to be ~17 million a year, I don't know his max contract could have been.

Back
Top Bottom