* Offiical NBA Off-Season Thread: I'll give one of my damn kidney's for these Melo rumors to stop *

I can see where JDiddy is coming from.

I'm predicting Portland has a big year as well (though no where near title contention).

They won 50 games last year despite having their players miss 300+ games combined. I can see them putting on a serious run. They certainly have the talent, coaching, style and home court to do damage. Just a matter of health and gaining experience.

Originally Posted by h3at23

It's the Thunder & lakers out west
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
 The Thunder? 

They have yet to PROVE anything.
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Do Be Doo

Originally Posted by h3at23

It's the Thunder & lakers out west
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
 The Thunder? 

They have yet to PROVE anything.
30t6p3b.gif

Okay, then who?

I believe OKC matured a LOT as a team last season & will be the 2nd best team in the west imo. Ask any LAL fan who gave them the must trouble in the playoffs besides BOS & must, if not all will tell you OKC

The team Dallas currently has suited up is MADE to try and beat the Lakers.

No hate on any other team in the West, but we've made personnel moves to try and beat the Lakers, if you don't see it, you're blind.

I don't know if we'll be 2 seed, 3 seed, 4 seed, whatever, but we have a team to try and beat the Lakers. Last year we split the season series with them last year, and I know that doesn't relate to post-season match-ups, but right now, this team is built to try and contend with the Lakers. We're extremely long at each position.

Kidd is big for a PG while Beaubois is long.
Caron at shooting guard gives us more size.
Marion at SF
Dirk at PF
Chandler, Haywood to battle with the Pau's/Bynum's.

The Mavericks will be close to the top of the West again.

I really don't understand all the hype with the Thunder. EVERYONE talks about their expecting them to be one of the top 2-3 teams in the West this year, when they were an 8 seed last year. An 8th seed with 50 wins, but an 8th seed none-the-less. I don't really see them being better than Dallas. San Antonio injected themselves with youth and now they have a secondary big three to compliment their original big three with Blair, Hill, and Splitter (without even mentioning James). Utah tweaked their roster and are looking to make a push this year.

To me, the Thunder are in the group WITH Portland, with Phoenix (I really think they have a good shot of being in the 4-6 range again this year, I like the moves they made), and with Denver.

Both the Thunder and the Blazers need to make some noise in the Playoffs or get a 55+ win season before we start talking about them being a threat to the Lakers.

Dallas is a deep-!@+ team with very long, athletic players. Dallas needs to stop messing around and put Chandler as their starting Center.. He'd work so well with Kidd it's not even funny. Haywood's hands aren't nearly as good as Chandlers, and Chandler's not as good of a one-on-one defender as Haywood is IMO, but Chandler is a very good help-defender, which the Mavericks haven't really had, ever. Dampier? Nope, Bradley? LaFrentz? When was the last time the Mavericks had a really good help-defender in the paint?

Dirk can hold his own on the one-on-one defense if they were playing the Lakers, but we'd need to have a help-defender in the paint to help control things, Chandler would be better fit at doing that IMO.

But Haywood would be good playing for us when Bynum's in the game. Haywood was very effective in the last game against the Lakers last year, 11/9/5 blocks, which helped Dallas turn into a win that night. That was also Haywood's 6th game with the Mavericks.

The key to beating the Lakers IMO is having decent wings to TRY and contend Kobe, and then having a front-court that can try and stop them. Having a PG like Tony Parker or Chris Paul won't cut it when trying to beat the Lakers. Sure that'll happen if the Hornets or Spurs face the Mavericks, but if you want to stop the Lakers? TP and CP3 can do whatever they want, they won't sniff the Lakers. The key to beating the Lakers is trying to match their length, and keep up with Kobe.

Look at the Finals, I think we can all say that Kobe wasn't the sole reason why the Lakers beat the Celtics. In undoubtedly Kobe's worst two games of the Finals, the Lakers ended up winning; who were key contributors to those wins? Pau, Odom, Artest.

You have no shot at beating the Lakers unless you have a formidable front-court, why the hell do you think Boston tooled up with JO and Shaq?

I can't wait to see the Heat and the Lakers play, it'll be so damn interesting to see what LeBron and Wade do as they sit and watch Bosh and Big Z try to contain Odom, Pau, and Bynum.

The Mavericks and Cuban ain't dummies, they know they have to build their roster around what other teams they have to contend with are doing right now. That's why the Mavericks lost to the Heat in the Finals in 06. Dallas has ALWAYS had problems with quick guards. They just can't match up (they hope that Dominique Jones will turn that around, but that's a work in progress).

You can go back as many years as you want, at least the past five, you go and see who the Mavericks have lost to in the Playoffs.

2010 Playoffs- Tony Parker/George Hill.
2009 Playoffs- This is the exception where we lost to the Nuggets.
2008 Playoffs- Chris Paul
2007 Playoffs- Entire damn W's team is small.
2006 Playoffs- Dwyane Wade
2005 Playoffs- Steve Nash and his crafty !@+.

Right now, if we ran into a team like San Antonio again, we'd probably struggle because we just don't have the personnel in the back-court to try and keep up with PG's.

I'm not saying we can beat the Lakers, but we have a team put together to TRY and beat them. The reason we made it so far in 06 is because we were MADE to try and beat the Spurs, and we did, barely, but then we ran into something we weren't prepared for.

That's my opinion & I'm sticking with it. Last yr was a huge step forward for that team.

I did overlook Dal though. My bad

I'm not going to say you're wrong, it's your opinion, I just personally don't think they're at that level yet.

Sign a good FA, and I'd be ready to call them contenders.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

The team Dallas currently has suited up is MADE to try and beat the Lakers.

No hate on any other team in the West, but we've made personnel moves to try and beat the Lakers, if you don't see it, you're blind.

I don't know if we'll be 2 seed, 3 seed, 4 seed, whatever, but we have a team to try and beat the Lakers. Last year we split the season series with them last year, and I know that doesn't relate to post-season match-ups, but right now, this team is built to try and contend with the Lakers. We're extremely long at each position.

it's crazy how the two teams haven't met in the playoffs at all since Dallas became relevant again in 2000-01,   had kobe not hit the game winning 3 to give the Lakers the pacific division title in portland on the last day of the 03-04 season it woulda been Lakers vs Dallas as the 4 vs 5 seed matchup that year,  it coulda been Lakers Dallas in 2006-07 and i'm sure Mavs fans woulda prefered that instead of Golden State but the Lakers had the tie breaker over the Warriors so they got the 7 seed that year instead of the 8 seed.

thunder are gonna end up doing the same thing as the blazers and kings. hype you up but not make it over the hump. i hope i'm wrong though

It's the Lakers and the Lakers in the West... Nobody else matters right now.

And
laugh.gif
@ the Blazers nonsense still...

NBATV is giving every team a 30-minute season preview show. Just had the OKC Thunder on a little bit ago.

Originally Posted by DubA169

thunder are gonna end up doing the same thing as the blazers and kings. hype you up but not make it over the hump. i hope i'm wrong though
This.

The way I SEE it in the west

LA
everyone else

The Host said on NBA tv that OKC will get the 2 seed. Yeah okay buddy.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Why is that ridiculous, they'll have one of the best home courts in basketball this year, it could easily happen.  It's not like they were even that far off klast year with how bunched up the west was 2-8

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

It's the Lakers and the Lakers in the West... Nobody else matters right now.
This. Nobody in the West is seeing the Lakers right now.

With that said, I think the Mavericks are the closest right now, but can't beat them. I could see OKC stretching out another 7 game series with them, with all of the match-up problems they present on the offensive end, but they're going to need to learn how to win on the road & get a better interior defensive presence.

Obviously Ibaka and Aldrich are defensive player of the year candidates.
laugh.gif

I could see OKC doing more this year if they would've attempted to move Green for a true PF. I think they won't do it because of his bond with Durant. I wouldn't be surprised if they kept that exact team around forever and not look for a drastic upgrade in their frontline because of this. If they do that, they will always be the team that COULD have. 

ya because both those teams had an elite superstar on there team like KD

I could see OKC doing more this year if they would've attempted to move Green for a true PF. I think they won't do it because of his bond with Durant. I wouldn't be surprised if they kept that exact team around forever and not look for a drastic upgrade in their frontline because of this
ya because drafting a true center and not giving green his extension shows that they will go that route.

Not sure how you can compare the future success of the Thunder with the Kings, but ok...

Acquiring Al Jefferson would have really been a big help to the Thunder. Still very young. Would have given them a scoring post who grabs a nice share of rebounds as well. Maybe they made a proposal, but the public will never know.

Jake Voskuhl and Jon Scheyer both cut from the Clippers
laugh.gif

This.

The way I SEE it in the west

LA
everyone else

laugh.gif

indifferent.gif

they can easily contend for the 2 seed. dude, they were one of the best defensive teams last season and with how things are looking they most likely improved on defense. you guys need to stop hating on the thunder, they are title contenders but they are good. let them play anyone other than lakers in the first round and they will advance.

DeMarcus Cousins Takes a Shot at Favors

Cuz’s personality is as big as his game. And he’s out to show that he’s the most skilled, physical (and motivated) big man in this crop of rookies. From Marc Spears: “‘I believe everything happens for a reason,’ Cousins said. ‘But I can’t wait to play them because I’m going at their necks, especially the big that got picked before me.’ That ‘big’ is Georgia Tech power forward Derrick Favors(notes), who was selected by the Nets third overall. Favors was the only post player selected among the top four picks. Considering the Nets’ most heralded player is center Brook Lopez, drafting another true center like Cousins didn’t make sense for the team’s needs. After Cousins scored 16 points and grabbed 16 rebounds in his preseason debut against Phoenix, he couldn’t help but chuckle to himself when he learned Favors had four points and one rebound in 13 minutes against Philadelphia earlier that night. ‘I’m trying to see what’s so special,’ Cousins said of Favors. ‘…I guess that’s what they really needed on their team. I really don’t know. I feel I was the best big to come out of college. For another big to get picked before me, I have a problem with that.

via Slamonline

Back
Top Bottom