* Offiical NBA Off-Season Thread: I'll give one of my damn kidney's for these Melo rumors to stop *

[h1]Buyer's Guide: David Lee[/h1][h3]For a team on a budget, Lee could be a better option than big men with bigger names[/h3]

By Tom Haberstroh
Special to ESPN Insider
Archive

insider_g_dlee1_576.jpg
Barry Gossage/NBAE/Getty ImagesLee's consistent motor could elevate him over pricier bigs in the eyes of some GMs.

ESPN Insider is analyzing NBA free agents not named LeBron James (we covered him pretty extensively a few weeks ago, and there's even more coming every day on the LeBron Tracker) to determine what they're really worth to the teams chasing them this summer. To follow the entire series, click here. We continue Tuesday with David Lee.
[h3]OVERALL ASSESSMENT[/h3]
Even though it comes a year later than he intended, David Lee finally will get his big payday this summer. The 27-year-old failed to land a multiyear contract as a restricted free agent last offseason, but after a season in which he averaged 20 points and 10 rebounds, that might have been a blessing in disguise.

With Carlos Boozer and Amare Stoudemire, Lee completes the free-agent triumvirate of scoring power forwards who can't play defense. However, Lee distinguishes himself from Boozer and Stoudemire with his will to improve his game and all-out effort that enamored the New York Knicks' fans.

Behind Lee's hustle, though, there's also a player who has made himself into an impressively skilled scorer and one of the most efficient big men in the league.

In his first three seasons in New York, Lee developed a reputation as a cleanup artist on the block without a complementary midrange game. That all changed this past season, when he shot nearly 400 jumpers between 16 and 23 feet -- more than his first three seasons combined -- and ranked among the league leaders with a 43.4 percent conversion rate, according to Hoopdata.com.

Lee unlocked his scoring potential just in time for free agency, which should allow teams with elite point guards to target him as a versatile screen counterpart and not just a glorified rebounder. According to Synergy Sports Technology, Lee is already one of the best pick-and-roll big men in the business, averaging 1.31 points after receiving the ball on a pick-and-roll, better than any of his counterparts in free agency. (That efficiency rate helps refute arguments that his stats are inflated by Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni's system.)

But even with his new scoring arsenal, Lee hasn't lost his touch on the boards. The former slam dunk contest winner at the McDonald's All-American game uses his underrated athleticism to position himself well for rebounding opportunities. At that point, it's all about effort -- something Lee rarely lacks. Only Dwight Howard collected more defensive rebounds than Lee this past season, and the Florida alumnus consistently finds himself among the league leaders in rebounding rate (the percentage of missed shots a player rebounds while on the floor).

Up to this point, Lee sounds as though he's worth a max contract. However, as is the case with Boozer and Stoudemire, Lee's defensive liabilities eclipse much of his offensive firepower.

Teams make it a nightly priority to abuse Lee on the block. In fact, according to Synergy, he faced more post-up situations per game than any other player in the NBA this past season -- and with good reason. More often than not, on 51.1 percent of post-ups, in fact, Lee either fails to stop his man on the block or sends him to the line, ranking him as one of the worst defending big men in the league among those who play big minutes.

Lee does have one advantage on D over the guys he'll be competing against for free agency dollars. "I think Lee has a better motor than [Stoudemire and Boozer]," one league exec said. "So he probably overcomes more of his deficiencies with his energy, athleticism and hustle."

But as much as Lee's work ethic has fueled the development of his midrange jumper, it has yet to transform his defensive game. As much as teams like effort, they pay for results. And for that reason, it's hard to see a team offering Lee near max money despite his great offensive efficiency.

One league exec put it this way: "I really don't feel confident that if you sign David Lee, your fans are going to say, 'Oh wow -- this two-year period of absolute futility was worth it.'"

But after considering the splash premium that Stoudemire likely will receive, Lee could be a real bargain this summer. By many measures, including John Hollinger's player efficiency rating, Lee even ranks as the better player of the two. And that's before one considers Lee's spotless injury record.
[h3]FINDING THE RIGHT FIT[/h3]
Whereas Boozer and Stoudemire have played on the playoff stage year after year, Lee has never had that opportunity nor the personnel to propel him there. But that inexperience actually could be a draw for some teams.

"Lee didn't play with anyone who made him better, so that's intriguing," one league source said. "He's one of those guys who may have some latent upside just because you've never seen him play with a really good player."

Lee didn't play with anyone who made him better, so that's intriguing. He's one of those guys who may have some latent upside just because you've never seen him play with a really good player.

^^ Redd will never be 100% again most likely. SMH.

I wanted the Cavs to get MR for so long.

Looks like a good trade for the Bucks though.

Salmons opted out so he most likely is leaving. good trade for bucks even though magg is a cancer/headcase

Originally Posted by Ballinsam23

Salmons opted out so he most likely is leaving. good trade for bucks even though magg is a cancer/headcase
Maggs a cancer/headcase?  Since when?  I've watched him play pretty much his whole career with the Clips, the only concern with him is injuries.  Good pick up by the Bucks.

Adrian Wojnarowski has been $#$@! slapped.

Both Kahn and Favors' agent seemed to rip Adrian Wojnarowski.

Derrick Favors' agent says he has no problem with Minnesota: "We won't be unhappy at all. Derrick is prepared to play for whoever takes him"

Both Minnesota and Favors' camp say that that the article mentioning David Kahn questioning Favors' conditioning was "completely overblown."

Wallace Prather: "Writer was trying to make something out of nothing. Spoke to David Kahn about it, he was extremely positive about Derrick"

I guess we can officially conclude Woj blows a lot of smoke in very overdramatic fashion.

Originally Posted by HOOD17

Scalebrine top priority this off season?
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

If Miami ends up with Wade, Lebron, and Bosh. I think L.A. or Boston
eyes.gif
can defeat that team because it will be bron,wade, bosh and a bunch of bums.

Mo to Portland
laugh.gif

I don't care if the other players are D-3 players who ride the bench, that team would not lose a series in a playoffs man. LeBron & Wade enough will get you a ring but adding down low? Those 3 will defeat any Kobe lead L.A. team unless Kobe adds Paul or another supper star.  You could have Darko & kwame Brown start at opposite of Bosh downlow and it'll make them look like they were good draft picks
laugh.gif

Adrian Wojnarowski has been $#$@! slapped.

That clown showed his true colors years ago actually, dude knows because he is a Yahoo writer he needs to help his pub therefor he throws constant crap out there that rarely is true. And look what it gets him....kids on chat boards jumping all over his "rumors" and clicking on his links. Personally I can't wait to go back and review his nuggets once the draft is over.

Originally Posted by Wisconsin 4 Life

Greatest day in Milwaukee Bucks history, no more Dan Gadzuric!  Good riddance Bell you little *****.

You wont be saying that after you watch Maggette disappear for half of your games, make a ton of stupid mistakes, commit idiotic and unnecessary fouls and play no defense.....all while making more than 10 mil a season.
He does a great job of getting to the line and getting his team in the bonus though.  

Originally Posted by Div1LBC

Maggs a cancer/headcase?  Since when?  I've watched him play pretty much his whole career with the Clips, the only concern with him is injuries.  Good pick up by the Bucks.
laugh.gif
You sure? Dude a 1st ballot headcase man.

Originally Posted by RoOk

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

eyes.gif

Mo to Portland
laugh.gif

I don't care if the other players are D-3 players who ride the bench, that team would not lose a series in a playoffs man. LeBron & Wade enough will get you a ring but adding down low? Those 3 will defeat any Kobe lead L.A. team unless Kobe adds Paul or another supper star.  You could have Darko & kwame Brown start at opposite of Bosh downlow and it'll make them look like they were good draft picks
laugh.gif
Thats not true.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by JPZx

[h2]http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67347/20100622/blazers_calling_cavs_on_mo_williams/[/h2]
[h2]Blazers Calling Cavs On Mo Williams[/h2]
Jun 22, 2010 9:44 AM EST

por_40.gif
The Blazers have expressed interest in trading for Mo Williams.

Cleveland may make Williams available if they are unable to retain LeBron James.

CHESSSSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Proshares

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Originally Posted by Proshares

Would Chicago and NO be open for a CP3 for Rose trade? Or would they need more pieces to be thrown in?

why would the bulls do that?

Just throwing it out there since they say CP3 and Bron would be paired together.  You think a trio of Rose/Bron/Noah > Paul/Bron/Noah?
Rose/Bron/Noah is probably the best combo. I know I will probably catch some heat but Rose >>> Paul. Paul is a defensive liability. Rose defense is nothing to scream about either but he's improved in that aspect & it's better than Paul's. Plus it's not like they are really getting a better PG.

Originally Posted by Div1LBC

laugh.gif
You sure? Dude a 1st ballot headcase man.
Yup. His style of play is pretty selfish, however in the right system he could be dangerous. With Skiles as HC I think this could work.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Bucks acquire Maggette for Bell, Gadzuric

The Bucks completed a trade late Tuesday afternoon to acquire forward Corey Maggette from the Golden State Warriors in exchange for guard Charlie Bell and center Dan Gadzuric, according to basketball sources.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/96920999.html

Good insurance policy in case Salmons leaves and Redd isn't 100%.

no7mh2.jpg

Maggette doesn't know how to pass, he's pretty much a black hole on offense. He'd be great as a sixth man on a decent team though. And his contract is ridiculous (%+%% you Robert Rowell)

Originally Posted by Durden7

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

eyes.gif

Mo to Portland
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Thats not true.
I'm not even fans of any of these players with the exception of Wade but are you kidding me? If you have (Using Heat roster right now):

Chalmers
Wade
LeBron
Beasley
Bosh

That's a championship team. No question.

Corey was selfish as a Clipper, so I'm not surprised he still has that tag. All he did was lower his head and barrel his body to the basket to get a layup or draw a foul. The one time the Clippers were winning games (2006) he complained that he wasn't starting and constantly butted heads with Dunleavy.

Originally Posted by Durden7

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

eyes.gif

Mo to Portland
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Thats not true.
I'm not even fans of any of these players with the exception of Wade but are you kidding me? If you have (Using Heat roster right now):

Chalmers
Wade
LeBron
Beasley
Bosh

That's a championship team. No question.
They dont have the money for all 3.

Beasley has to go in some form of a sign/trade for Bosh or LeBron.

Back
Top Bottom