* Offiical NBA Off-Season Thread: I'll give one of my damn kidney's for these Melo rumors to stop *

[h1]Financial issues may slow Barnes deal[/h1]

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Veteran swingman Matt Barnes, one of the most coveted free agents left on the open market, announced Monday night that he is headed to the Toronto Raptors.

But the limited sign-and-trade options available to Orlando -- Barnes' last team -- could scuttle the deal, according to sources close to the situation.

1765.jpg

Barnes

Under the impression that he would be receiving a two-year contract in the $10 million range, Barnes thanked Magic fans via his Twitter feed and said that he'll be "playing for the Toronto Raptors" next season.

Sources told ESPN.com that the teams will resume discussions Tuesday, as planned all along, with the intent of landing Barnes with the Raptors via sign-and-trade.

Yet no such deal could be assured as of midnight, raising the possibility that Barnes would have to accept new terms to sign with the Raptors or that other teams that have been chasing Barnes will get another shot at him if the deal collapses.

Since Toronto recently spent the bulk of its $5.8 million mid-level exception to sign Linas Kleiza, it doesn't have the available funds to sign Barnes outright to a deal that starts in the neighborhood of $4 million.

The Magic, though, are prevented by salary-cap rules from starting a sign-and-trade deal for Barnes at higher than $2 million, because Orlando doesn't have Barnes' full Bird rights after employing him for only one season. A sign-and-trade deal would also have to span at least three years, although only the first year is required to be guaranteed.

Barnes was initially believed to be on the verge of signing with a title contender late last week -- such as Miami, Boston or the Los Angeles Lakers -- when the Raptors made an aggressive late rush to join the bidding.

Barnes also gave serious consideration in recent days to the Cleveland Cavaliers before talks with Toronto got serious.

Barnes started 58 games last year for Orlando in his only season with the Magic after a hard recruiting push from center Dwight Howard.

The 30-year-old averaged 8.8 points and 5.5 rebounds per game in Orlando and had originally signed a two-year deal with the team. But Barnes exercised his option to become a free agent after playing for $1.6 million in 2009-10.

With salary-cap rules limiting the raise the Magic could offer unless it cut into its own mid-level exception, Magic general manager Otis Smith said last week that matching Chicago's offer sheet to sharpshooter J.J. Redick and signing Quentin Richardson were budget priorities.

If Toronto does not become Barnes' eighth stop in a career that began with the Los Angeles Clippers in 2003, it will be the second high-profile deal to unravel unexpectedly at the Raptors' expense this offseason.
Earlier this month, Charlotte agreed to participate in a trade originally hatched by Toronto and the Phoenix Suns, which would have brought Tyson Chandler and Boris Diaw to the Raptors. But the Bobcats pulled out and traded Chandler to Dallas one day later

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

The Raptors are going to be terrible next year.
I hope you're right. I want ownership to fire Colangelo and Triano and bring in competent management that know what the heck they're doing. This is Colangelo's 5th year in charge of the team and the 4th time he's completely overhauled the roster. He brings players in and then trades them away months later...then when we get off to a slow start every season the team says they need time for all the new players to build some chemistry. Our idiot GM fired Sam Mitchell for an 8-8 start in 2008, but then gave Triano an extension after he went 25-41 in 08/09 and then 40-42 in 09/10 with a roster that Colangelo called the best he had ever assembled as Raptor GM.

This team is a joke from top to bottom. We have consistently been one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA for the last 4-5 years and yet Colangelo has failed to add any significant defensive pieces to our team.

If the Raptors finish 7th or 8th in the East next season it'll be spun as a major achievement by management seeing as how we've missed the playoffs 2-years in a row and we just lost our best player. Mediocrity FTL
smh.gif

Originally Posted by henz0

I think with Bosh gone Bargnani's gonna put up better stats

He showed some promise last year but if he keeps floating around outside he'll still be the same old player.

[table][tr][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td][table][tr][td][table][tr][td]http://
track

[img]http://extras.mnginteractive.c..._055350_button_reprint_license_this.gif[/img]Reprint Print   [img]http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/std/icon-email.gif[/img]Email  
normal.gif
large.gif
largest.gif
Font Resize
[h1]Golden State Warriors to trade C.J. Watson to Chicago Bulls[/h1]
By Marcus Thompson II

[email protected]

Posted: 07/19/2010 09:08:52 PM PDT

Updated: 07/19/2010 11:33:21 PM PDT

The Warriors have agreed to send point guard C.J. Watson to the Chicago Bulls for a 2011 second-round pick, multiple team sources told the Bay Area News Group on Tuesday.

The deal was not complete as of press time.

Watson, a restricted free agent, signed a three-year, $10.2 million deal with the Warriors, who then traded him to the Bulls, a source said. Watson is expected to back up Bulls All-Star point guard Derrick Rose.

Watson is the sixth player from last year's Warriors roster to be traded this offseason. As part of the deal, the Warriors are likely to get a trade exception worth half of the amount Watson earns in his first season.

Either way it is one more chip the Warriors have stored for later use. They already have a trade exception they received after trading guard Anthony Morrow to the New Jersey Nets, and they have expiring contracts for forward Vladimir Radmanovic ($6.9 million), center Dan Gadzuric ($7.2 million) and forward Brandan Wright ($3.4 million).

The Warriors now are in the market for a point guard behind starter Stephen Curry.

Watson is coming off a career season in which he averaged 10.3 points, on 46.8 percent shooting, and 2.8 assists. He averaged 27.5 minutes and started 15 games.

But, according to a source, Warriors general manager Larry Riley was hesitant to pay Watson as much as $3 million a season.
[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]

Rudy Fernandez Tells Portland To Send Him Home

Rudy Fernandez wants to go home. In a case of receiving too much, too soon, the Portland shooting guard told El Mundo Deportivo, “If I could reach an agreement with Portland, so that they would not trade me to another NBA team and they would accept my return to Europe, I’d be pleased.

Portland was loaded at the wing position the last few seasons with people like Brandon Roy, Travis Outlaw, Martell Webster and Nicolas Batum. There just wasn’t enough PT to go around. And it’s tough to get burn when the team’s best player mans the same position as you.

laugh.gif
  loaded.  Yeah, sure.  Didn't Roy miss a few games?  Didn't Martell miss like a whole season?  Didn't Outlaw also miss half a season?  Didn't Batum miss half a season?  But kid couldn't get any playing time? 
ohwell.gif

Dude is pure vag, stays behind the 3 point line at all costs, he wants no part of the paint whatsoever, and the fact he wants to play for D'Antoni is even more proof. 

Great move by Pritchard getting him though.  And hyping him up to no end. 

roll.gif
roll.gif

I wonder what Bayless thinks of Wes Mathews deal. 
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

The Raptors are going to be terrible next year.
I hope you're right. I want ownership to fire Colangelo and Triano and bring in competent management that know what the heck they're doing. This is Colangelo's 5th year in charge of the team and the 4th time he's completely overhauled the roster. He brings players in and then trades them away months later...then when we get off to a slow start every season the team says they need time for all the new players to build some chemistry. Our idiot GM fired Sam Mitchell for an 8-8 start in 2008, but then gave Triano an extension after he went 25-41 in 08/09 and then 40-42 in 09/10 with a roster that Colangelo called the best he had ever assembled as Raptor GM.

This team is a joke from top to bottom. We have consistently been one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA for the last 4-5 years and yet Colangelo has failed to add any significant defensive pieces to our team.

If the Raptors finish 7th or 8th in the East next season it'll be spun as a major achievement by management seeing as how we've missed the playoffs 2-years in a row and we just lost our best player. Mediocrity FTL
smh.gif
Yeah I thought Detroit's off-season last year was bad, but Toronto has far exceeded all expectations. It seems like each move is a huge overreaction to other teams' signings or just done with no rhyme or reason.

Amare's punk *%* decided he no longer cares about his country and decided not to play for team USA this summer
smh.gif
.........ok actually it had something to do with the insurance on his 100 mil but still...

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Amare's punk *%* decided he no longer cares about his country and decided not to play for team USA this summer
smh.gif
.........ok actually it had something to do with the insurance on his 100 mil but still...
They musta asked him to rebound and play defense.......

^
No sir, Amare gets to be the butt of CP's Amare jokes.  Ya'll are straight. 

I predict that by Christmas you will enter the season thread and say "CP, you were right, Amare loves to dunk, he loves to throw his shoulders back, and that's about it" 

I'll say, "see Pro, I don't hate you guys or anything, just speakin on his game is all" 

Then we'll move on to making fun of Dallas or something fun like that. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

smh.gif

so why dont you bash everyone else that pulled out for no reason(which would be 90% of the 08 team)

Back
Top Bottom