* Offiical NBA Off-Season Thread: I'll give one of my damn kidney's for these Melo rumors to stop *

You must really want to see that lineup.

However, i dont think that team would be that great.

Everyone knew this was coming haha

Sources: Lin near deal with Warriors

* Email
* Print
* Comments49

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive

The Golden State Warriors are closing in on signing summer-league sensation Jeremy Lin, according to sources with knowledge of the talks.

Sources told ESPN.com on Tuesday that the Warriors, by offering to guarantee more than half of Lin's potential first-year salary of nearly $500,000, have reached an agreement in principle with the point guard from Harvard.

[+] EnlargeJeremy Lin
Garrett W. Ellwood/NBAE/Getty ImagesA scout said of Jeremy Lin's play in Las Vegas: "He showed that he can be an NBA point guard. He showed us he can finish, defend and has above-average athleticism."

Lin is expected to receive a multiyear deal, sources said.

Lin's Bay Area roots and consistently strong performance with the Dallas Mavericks' squad in Las Vegas prompted the Warriors to chase Lin hard and ultimately outbid a handful of teams that have been pursuing him since summer-league play ended Sunday.

The Mavericks and Los Angeles Lakers were among the first teams to try to sign the 6-foot-3 guard for next season, but agent Roger Montgomery told ESPNDallas.com on Monday that the publicity Lin attracted for outplaying prized Mavs youngster Roddy Beaubois -- while routinely flashing better-than-expected athleticism in the process -- generated a clutch of new offers.

The Warriors have a need for a guard depth behind stars Monta Ellis and Stephen Curry after restricted free agent C.J. Watson signed an offer sheet Monday with the Chicago Bulls that resulted in Watson joining the Bulls via sign-and-trade.

A Western Conference scout said of Lin's play in Las Vegas: "He showed that he can be an NBA point guard. He showed us he can finish, defend and has above-average athleticism."

Lin is a lifelong Warriors fan and his signing, sources said, was fully endorsed by Golden State's incoming new ownership tandem of Boston Celtics minority partner Joe Lacob and Mandalay Entertainment CEO Peter Guber, whose purchase of the Warriors from longtime owner Chris Cohan won't be finalized for 60 to 90 days.

Mavericks president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson was the only NBA executive to offer Lin a roster spot for summer league and had hopes of developing Lin's game with the Texas Legends, which is the Mavericks D-League affiliate in Frisco that Nelson co-owns.

Originally Posted by itsaboutthattime

here is the team i would send to the WC:

PG: billups, rose, curry

SG: Durant, Iggy

SF: Granger, Gay, Green

PF: Love, Lee, Odum

C: B. Lopez
This has 2004 Olympics written all over it.

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

here is the team i would send to the WC:

PG: billups, rose, curry

SG: Durant, Iggy

SF: Granger, Gay, Green

PF: Love, Lee, Odum

C: B. Lopez
This has 2004 Olympics written all over it.
2004 team:
Tim Duncan, Stephon Marbury, Allen Iverson,Lebron James, Richard Jefferson, Amare Stoudemire, Shawn Marion,Dwayne Wade, Lamar Odom, Carmelo Anthony, Carlos Boozer and Emeka Okafor

no real point guards.. no real shooters.. and larry brown was the coach soo the young guys barely got any time (lebron, carmelo and wade)

sooo how would it be 2004 again?

and the reason i like this - curry, iggy, durant, love and lopez - lineup, is because you would have two shooters with unlimited range in curry and durant.. iggy is a top notch defender, plus a good distributor sooo you have iggy and curry who can handle and distribute the ball.. love is a good rebounder, shooter and passer.. lopez is just there by default since he actually periods low post scoring (unlike chandler.. the only other real option at center.. robin lopez is hurt and amare's contract isn't insured)

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

actually.. i would love to see this lineup:

curry

iggy

durant

love

lopez
That team would be a disaster.
why?

you would have two excellent shooters (especially from the closer 3pt) in curry and durant.. hell even love would be a good shooter from the shorter 3pt line

a lockdown defender, good rebounder and good distributor in iggy.. plus the only guy who really is an actual SG that is trying out

love is an excellent rebounder, passer and shooter.. and would have good 3pt range with the short 3pt shot

and lopez is there by default.. his brother is hurt and amare's contract issues.. and bascially only him and chandler are the only real centers left

Although the talent won't be as great as the 08 squad, I think just having arguably one of the best basketball coaches/minds at the helm in Coach K and his crew we'll be set. Sure you could point out that we lost in 06, but to be fair the international game is a whole different ball game and Coach K and the players were still adjusting to that style. Now we have players that have been gelling and learning this new game for the last 3 years, we have Jay Triano in as a consultant as well as Jason Kidd to teach the players how to deal with different styles of play. All in all, I think we will be a-ok. In all honesty, I think had we had a more capable coach and not a headcase in Larry Brown (see 2002 WC) we would have be fine.

My line-up would be (flame suit on
laugh.gif
)
PG: Rose/Billups/Curry/Rondo(or Westbrook)
SG: Durant/Evans
SF: Granger/Gay
PF: Lee/Love
C: Lopez/Chandler

We take 4 PGs cuz Curry/Rose could slip into the 2 spot and I think with our weakness in the front court we will have to resort to small ball and running the other squad outta the gym. Im assuming Durant will play most of the 40 mins. And our bigs will have to rotate especially well on D or we will get burned everytime
smh.gif
if Lee is hurt and can't play we are pretty much #!*%%@ in the front court IMO.

^I 100% agree. But I have no clue what other big guys we have, Odom? McGee? Seriously I think those are the only 2 bigs we have
smh.gif
laugh.gif
I mean we have Granger, Green and Wallace who could slide over to the PF, but thats it.

^no you are correct. Tyreke needs the ball in his hands too much to be effective. If Durant and Granger are on the team we aren't gonna need any other ball dominators on the squad.

rondo, tyreke and wallace are terrible for international ball (chandler too.. but he prob goes since there is a lack of depth for centers.. especially if something is wrong with lee's finger)

NBA Western Conference Playoff Race: Odd Teams Out

By
Andrew Pierluissi
(Contributor) on July 21, 2010

The 2009-2010 Western Conference playoff race went down to the wire for seeding two through eight.

Expect the same this year.

E xpect a few teams to shockingly be left out of the picture.

Let’s start with the teams that will likely make it past the regular season. Although it is too early to start predicting possible seeding arrangement come playoff time… wait, no it isn’t.

Here is what the playoff seeding arrangement will likely look like come the 2011 playoffs.

1.Los Angeles Lakers
2.Oklahoma City Thunder
3.Houston Rockets
4.Dallas Mavericks
5.Portland Trail Blazers
6.Denver Nuggets
7.Utah Jazz
8.Phoenix Suns
For more on this take a look at the following slide show.

[url=http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...s-of-2010-2011]http://bleacherreport.com...icles/4...s-of-2010-2011[/url]

Let’s take a good look at the teams that did not make it to that list, focusing on New Orleans, Memphis, and San Antonio.

New Orleans will have a healthy Chris Paul back next year along with arguably the same roster of last year. This team will win its share of games and like come close to a 50 win season. I n order to make the Western Conference playoffs, it will take more than that.

Chris Paul and David West will anchor the team’s offense along sophomores Darren Collison and Marcus Thornton. T hey will fall just short of a playoff seed and closer to an inevitable life without Chris Paul.

The Memphis Grizzlies have the same team back after re-signing of Rudy Gay. This team gave playoff teams a run for their money with a healthy roster. Once injuries attacked the team, their mediocre bench, to say the least, showed how this team does not have much potential out of the starting five.

After making no significant upgrades to their bench, you can expect this team to once again go on promising runs. Ultimately, another .500 season and no playoff berth.

The surprise of the day, and the reason for plenty of hateful comments to come:

T he San Antonio Spurs will likely miss out on the 2011 NBA Playoffs.

Not only that, they will probably also miss a few more playoffs to come once the Duncan era is over.

It is time for San Antonio to hand the gloves, trade their veteran potential for young potential, and start executing a rebuilding plan.

But it will not happen this season.

This team will come out with a mission.

A mission that will ultimately fail.

The Spurs will go down as one of the best sports dynasties of all time.

All great things come to an end. This is the year it ends for San Antonio.

[url=http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...ams-likely-out]http://bleacherreport.com...icles/4...ams-likely-out[/url]

Is this how everyone feels about next season in the WEST? 

^
Yes.

I said earlier in the thread, Houston, Portland, Denver, Dallas in that 3-4-5 range, I have talked here and there about putting OKC at the 2 spot, but I need to see a little more of the off season first, but I am leaning that way, and then I dunno between Utah/Phoenix/SA/NO.  They will fight obviously for the last 2 spots.  And Memphis could too, but as they said, we dunno about their bench.  But for the most part, I agree with that article, the one team I could see slide is Phoenix, but they are a pretty deep team, not unlike the Rockets imo. 

I'd have it like this:

Lakers
Mavs
Nuggets
Blazers
Thunder
Jazz
Suns
Rockets

v I'd think the Spurs, Grizzlies and Rockets will fight it out for the 8th seed.

The only thing I want to know is how everyone says SA is "done"?
I mean even in the article the author didn't give any reasons as to why the SPURS wouldn't make the playoffs.

If CP3 is healthy, i dont see how Phoenix gets a higher seed.

I dont see the Blazers that high either, and the Spurs are definitely making the playoffs.

So did Shaun Livingston really sign a 2 year 17M contract? Is that right? That's 8.5M a year.

How did this guy get paid more than a Luke Ridnour and some other dudes?

CP1708 wrote:
Doo, I been sayin it for 2 years now, I don't know what more I can tell you. 
I always thought you meant them not WINNING a chip anytime soon. My fault if you meant that not making the playoffs=done.

Reports expect the SPURS to re-sign RJ today. RJ having one year under his belt and working with POP during the summer should help his game ALOT this year.

People need to come to grips with the fact that guys like Manu and Tim and Dyess, are not getting better/healthier as they get older.  Those days are done. 

Parker has even started to wear, though I think he can still play, if the Spurs see the light, they may move him and start anew. 

Hill, Blair, Splitter, those guys are nice starts, but they aren't going to keep it going. 

So can they battle for 8?  Yes, sure.  But locks for the postseason?  Uh, no way.  Not anymore.  And even IF they make it, unless they play Dallas, they lookin to get busted early in the postseason. 

Back
Top Bottom