Official Warriors Season Thread

i'd love it if we can get 'buike some more playing time... and matt barnes less.

also, i think GP would demand too much money even if it is just a "gesture" season for him to play out his career in his hometown.
but if he did, man that jersey would be copped so fast.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Baron Davis' big Hollywood night is coming up Sunday

By John Ryan
Tuesday, January 15th, 2008 at 4:50 pm in Warriors/NBA, General news.

Much talk lately has focused on whether Baron Davis will/should make the All-Star Game, but he's going to have his eye on some other opinions next week.

"Made in America," the documentary on gang life in South Central L.A., premieres Sunday night at the Sundance Film Festival. Davis' production company, Verso Entertainment, is equal partners in the film with Balance Vector, a company formed by former Silicon Valley tech executive Steve Luczo that looks for socially responsible projects.

(The official debut is 8:30 p.m. at the Library Center Theater in Park City, Utah. If you score one of the 448 seats, lemme know how it went.)

I'm looking forward to seeing this movie, and not just because of Davis' involvement. The director is Stacy Peralta, whose previous documentaries looked at skateboarding ("Dogtown and Z-Boys") and surfing ("Riding Giants"). The narrator is Oscar winner Forest Whitaker. Those guys don't attach themselves to middling projects.

Davis and Co. are definitely in the investor/supporter role, as there's no doubt Peralta is running the point. He's drumming up some early buzz too. The Wall Street Journal recently reported that it will be quite a seller's market at the nine-day festival as studios try to line up inventory in case the writers' strike continues. Documentaries always have a tough time getting distribution, but it sounds like this movie has timed the market perfectly.

Davis is enough of a film buff that he has an NBA.com blog exclusively on the subject. In the advance materials for "Made In America," he's quoted saying he backed the project because "I grew up in South Central L.A. Unfortunately, not much has changed in the past few decades. The pitfalls of gang life still exist and it's a growing problem. This is a really important film that I felt needed to be made."

With games Saturday night in Milwaukee and Monday afternoon in Oakland, he might have a hard time attending the premiere. But perhaps his coach can find it in his heart to let Boom Dizzle get to Utah on Tuesday night, Jan. 22. The Warriors won't be playing again until the night of Jan. 24.

Besides, Nellie loves those big movie shindigs. Maybe he can even go with.

http://www.mercextra.com/blogs/buzz/2008/01/15/baron-davis-big-hollywood-night-is-coming-up-sunday/

sorry if already posted

Sig check... Tough loss...Baron Davis is doing a lot of sinning with these steals in games. Warriors need to play strong against the Bulls. They need to learnhow to continue to push the ball to the rack instead of choosing to shoot jumpers when they have a lead.

[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]Good to see Watson got extended.
[/font]
[table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td] West's advice helps Davis on, off court

Scott Ostler, San Francisco Chronicle
[/td] [td]
clear.gif
[/td] [td]Thursday, January 17, 2008
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif](01-16) 18:43 PST -- Baron Davis carries himself with the regal and assured bearing of a baron, but one day last summer, he was taken out of his game.[/font]

[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]Davis was leaving a rehab clinic in Los Angeles when he spotted Jerry West on the sidewalk. West also was leaving the clinic, where he was rehabbing from a shoulder injury.[/font]

[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]Davis was star-stuck. The NBA logo is a silhouette of Jerry West dribbling. West was chosen as the logo more or less by chance, but many NBA people see the logo as artistic validation of West's aura. West is commonly referred to as The Logo, or simply Logo.[/font]

[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]West's playing credentials are mythical. As an executive, his skills were considered magical. Davis had seen West play many times, on ESPN Classic, and West had seen Davis play at UCLA, but they hadn't met.[/font]

[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]"I was nervous," Davis said. "I was real nervous. There he is, here's an opportunity to finally have a conversation with the man."[/font]

[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]Davis introduced himself and told West how much he admired his game and everything he has accomplished in basketball. West smiled, but cringed.[/font]

[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]West was the ultimate spotlight player, "Mr. Clutch," but he shuns the spotlight and is uncomfortable with flattery. The first bit of advice he gave Davis was not to call him "Mr. West."[/font]

[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]Davis is 28 and very much the modern superstar. West is 69 and played in the ancient era of tiny pants and tiny paychecks. It was Old School (West retired as a player in '74) meets New School, but they hit it off immediately. And their friendship has had a large impact on the Warriors.[/font]

[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]Davis and West talked for half an hour. Over the next few weeks, they talked during their rehab workouts. They talked hoops and life. Davis sought West's advice, and West obliged.[/font]

[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]Davis had a chip on his shoulder. He had just gone public with his semi-demand that the Warriors extend his contract, which ends after next season. He said if the Warriors did not do so, he would play out this season and most likely walk away from the final year of the contract. Davis was setting the stage to arrive in camp as an unhappy camper, on a team where chemistry is everything.[/font]

[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]Talking to West, Davis talked tough, said he was going to let the Warriors know he was unhappy. Davis expected that West, who had his contract squabbles as a player, would lend a sympathetic ear. He did not.[/font]

[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]"That's the wrong approach," West told Davis, quietly.[/font]

[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]Davis said, "He gave me a lot of Basketball Business 101. Did it cause a shift in my thinking? Yeah."[/font]

[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]West told Davis he would look bad, alienate everyone, ruin his image. He told Davis not to take the contract situation personally. He told Davis, "The most important thing is that you're in a good place, playing for a coach who lets you play your game, uninhibited. You're in a perfect position with the Warriors. Be positive. Just go up there, shut up and play."[/font]

[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]West's honesty took Davis by surprise.[/font]

[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]"He never told me what I wanted to hear," Davis said. "He always told me what was right. It was a satisfying feeling to not hear somebody sugarcoat something. ... Sometimes when you're (famous), or you're the star player on a team, a lot of people don't want to put a dent in your ego. ... Constructive criticism for me is a must and a need. That's why I think I have been able to play so well under coach Nellie, because he's like that.[/font]

[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]"Mr. West in the summer, it was just incredible, because not only did he tell me what was right, he gave me pointers on how to be a better leader, how to be a better player, everything from making moves to just talking about the game."[/font]

[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]The artist who designed the logo picked the right model. West has basketball in his marrow. He's friendly with a lot of players and he's very close with a few, including Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal.[/font]

[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]"I love players," said West, who retired last year as president of the Memphis Grizzlies, "particularly players who I think play the game at a high level.[/font]

[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]"If you play the game just because you want to get paid, I'm not much of a fan, OK? Baron does (play at a high competitive level), and he's had some spectacular games, and late in games, he's been a real force for them. He's been playing the game at a really high level, and he's the driving force for them to win, the catalyst."[/font]

[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]West tried to impress on Davis that he was part of something special, that many NBA teams are essentially failed experiments in chemistry, and that it's rare to see a team like the Warriors.[/font]

[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]"The Warriors are really fun to watch play," West said. "Really fun. And they play so damn hard that it's a joke."[/font]

[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]Had Davis hit camp whining and pouting about his contract, the team magic would have faded. But Davis listened to West, and got it.[/font]

[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]"He's The Logo," Davis said. "There's a reason he's the NBA sign. ... For me, it was an amazing experience, to be a young guy and to be around Jerry West twice a week and be able to talk to him. I seized that opportunity because I knew it would benefit me, I could gain enough knowledge that maybe I could pass it down to some of the younger guys on my team."[/font]

[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]Davis, thinking about his chance meeting with West, said, "I hit the lotto. He's got a great personality, great energy, great love for the game, great love for people. He's the type of role model you want to be. And hey, he's had an impact on this league that every player wants to have. To follow in his footsteps, I know I have to be on my Ps and Qs."[/font]

[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]Davis reported to camp in a determinedly upbeat, positive frame of mind. He has been playing great ball. He's the team leader. The Warriors are winning.[/font]

[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]Assist, Logo.[/font]

uhhh i don't think i would do that..i can see how it makes sense, but i'd rather keep POB with the promise he has shown.

Guess Jackson lost a toe nail and Nellie said he'll be out - thats what I heard on the radio this morning.

* I heard Nelson say on KNBR this morning that Stephen Jackson had a toe problem and might miss several games, so that's not good. But the Warriors had been fairly healthy so far-if SJax gets some rest and it's not a serious injury, that's not a killer.

And I'd guess SJax doesn't miss more than one full game, especially if he sits out Friday and the Warriors lose. Then I'm thinking he'll be back for the Milwaukee game to try to stop a possible losing streak. Just a guess.

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Jackson has had a toe problem since his arrival to Oakland last season. I think it was an injury that he's been hush about. Maybe this could be a reasonwhy his shooting isn't as great as it was in November. Anyway, if this allows him to be smarter with his shot selection, then I am all for it. And losing atoe nail is gross...I just remembered the episode of Bam Margera when Don Vito's toe nail came off. Gross.

Warriors walking thin line between playoffs and lottery

By Marcus Thompson II
STAFF WRITER

Article Launched: 01/18/2008 03:01:04 AM PST

It would be an understatement to say the Warriors play like an acrobat walks a tightrope.
Better yet, imagine someone moonwalking 30 feet above ground ... blindfolded ... across a strip of used dental floss. That's more like Warriors basketball -- equal parts breathtaking and heartstopping; dazzling and dangerous.

Golden State's high-risk, high-reward style of play, while captivating, has its playoff chances looking precarious. The Warriors have the talent to compete with the league's elite, but they have the mood swings of a team headed for the draft lottery.

With the loaded Western Conference decreasing the margin for error, that's not a good thing.

"We can play better," Warriors guard Monta Ellis said, "and we're going to start playing better."

The Warriors enter tonight's game at Chicago in a close fight for the seventh and eighth seeds in the West with Denver, Utah and Houston. But they're also within striking distance of a Pacific Division title and a top seed.

The Los Angeles Lakers, four games ahead of the Warriors in the Pacific, suffered a significant blow Sunday when center Andrew Bynum was lost for at least two months because of a dislocated kneecap. How did Golden State respond? By allowing Minnesota, owner of the league's worst record, to stay in Tuesday's game late into the fourth quarter and then gift-wrapping a victory for Indiana on Wednesday.

"We've been winning games like this," Warriors coach Don Nelson said. "Maybe we've been fooling people for a long time (into thinking) that it's going to happen all year. But, of course, you know it's not. And you can't keep digging a hole for yourselves and always climb out of it."

Living on the edge has been a way of life for the Warriors this season. If it's not a foul-plagued Baron Davis committing reach-in infractions, it's forward Stephen Jackson launching questionable 3-pointers. If it's not forward Matt Barnes attempting a daring pass, it's Nelson waiting until his team flatlines before calling a timeout.

What must frustrate their coaches is that the Warriors are pretty formidable when they stick to what they do best: scrap on defense, run the floor and use their athleticism to break down opposing defenses.

The Warriors are 12-0 when they hold opponents below 100 points, but they routinely suffer defensive lapses. They lead the NBA in points in the paint and fast-break points but can't resist the lure of the 3-pointer, which sometimes allows opponents to get back in the game.

One would think the Warriors' sense of urgency would increase with Davis playing through a sore left shoulder and left knee and with Jackson and center Andris Biedrins struggling on offense. Instead, they can be found bickering at the refs, arguing with each other and having fits of basketball ADD.

"We're old enough," Jackson said. "We don't have time to still be learning from stuff like this."

To be sure, it's still early. Even with the intense competition in the West, things don't really heat up until after the All-Star break a month from now.

Some say the Warriors aren't good enough to play at a high level consistently. Nelson said recently that his team has been in midseason form for most of the season and that he isn't sure if it can play any better.

But maybe the Warriors, to borrow a poker term, need to be "all in" to sustain a peak level of play. Maybe they like to feel their backs against the wall in order to step it up a level.

Maybe the simple tightrope maneuver just doesn't do it for them.

cj watsons blog. its a good read

Our team keeps dwindling down from players leaving to go overseas, which is a good thing for them. I can't knock them for it. We are no longer the Rio Grande Valley Vipers. We are the self proclaimed '8 deep'. We gave ourselves the name because we only have 8 players now and we are a scrappy team, since we are smaller than everyone else. While being '8 deep' we won two tough road games and lost two heart breakers on the road to Austin. One of our games went to double overtime and was a thriller. We had the game won until we missed some free throws and missed some shots at the end of regulation and overtime to win it. But the game was exciting and fun to play.

Some hours after our last game at Austin I received word that I was soon to be getting a "Gatorade call up" and my dream of finally playing in the NBA would come true. I would be going to the fast paced Golden State Warriors. I can't lie, I was excited, I don't think I slept that whole night after finding out. I was just up thinking about having my dream of playing in the NBA really come true. I'm so close to accomplishing some of my goals, and still, I have many more that I want accomplish.

I have been getting calls from all my family and friends. I hope I don't let them down. I know I have a lot riding on my back, but no pressure right? I just have to go out there and perform the same way I have been in the D-League. Which I know I can do. I know I belong in the NBA, and this is my opportunity to prove all the naysayers wrong. I'll let my play speak for itself on that aspect. But I'm overjoyed and blessed for the opportunity. I was kind of sad leaving my teammates and coaches from the D-League, though. The bond that we had the month I was there was unique and unforgettable, but I got to go fellas, sorry.

When I arrived in Golden State, the players welcomed me with open arms. The coaches just told me to do the same thing I have been doing in the D-League-- they don't want me to come here and be passive. They want me to be aggressive, because that's what got me here. I get to watch and play behind one of the best point guards in the league in Baron Davis. Some of the stuff he does is unbelievable. I was already a fan, but now I'm a believer, haha. I have already learned a lot from him just by watching for the seven games that I have been here for. He's an all-star on and off the court.

The first game I got here he handed me some bundled up twenty dollar bills and said "hey you new guy, make sure you get me two green teas in the morning before shoot-around and don't be late." Yes of course I got them, I ain't no punk though don't get it twisted, it's just all a part of the things they make rookies do. I got an extra $40 out of the deal because he let me keep the change.

I have to say, the NBA life is something I can get used to. The charter flights, the chef before and after practice, the per diem every road trip, the traveling seeing different cities and meeting different people, and oh yeah, the basketball-- the best part of all.

In my first NBA debut against the red hot Portland Trailblazers, I was excited. I finally made it to this big stage, and when the coach called me to go in, I was shocked and overzealous at the same time. I didn't know any plays, but in Coach Nelson's system you don't have to. They don't run any plays. They just get the ball and go. My first shot I missed-- I wasn't used to coming off the bench, so I didn't have my legs under me, but hey, no excuses.

One thing that shocked me was during a timeout Coach Nelson doesn't say nothing. He just sits there and rubs his head and will occasionally draw up a play every now and then. When you have been in the league as long as he has, and accomplished the things he has at a high level, you shouldn't have to. I asked one of the players "why he doesn't talk during timeouts?" They said he just doesn't. They were like "if that shocks you about this team, then you are in for a bunch more surprises and weird things." And I have come to experience some of those things in the week I have been here.

The 2nd half rolls around, and he calls me in again, and I make the most out of if it. We were getting beat by maybe 15 or 20 points. But I had 9 points in the 2nd half. I finished with 11 points for the game and like 4 assists. I was happy to come out and play like that my very first NBA game. I didn't think I was going to play 30 minutes, but it was good to get my feet wet against a team like that.

All I have been hearing about the next day after our game against Portland was: "are you ready to play at Oracle Arena? We have the best fans in the league, it's exciting to play at home." I remember watching the playoffs last year when they beat the Dallas Mavericks and I knew just from TV that the fans were crazy. In person I knew it had to be an even better experience. So I was anxious to see for myself, and oh did they not disappoint…. The fans were loud and enthusiastic the entire game.

My phone hasn't stopped ringing for like the past week-- people congratulating me, making ticket requests already, and other stuff. But it's been a rollercoaster ride, and I'm glad it all paid off. I still have a lot of work to do. I'm not finished just yet, though, stay tuned for more from the Quiet Storm!!!

^nice read.
pimp.gif
we can beat the Bulls today probably...but just have to learn from the last game that you gotta play all 48 mins

Back
Top Bottom