Official Warriors Season Thread

Golden State Warriors
Some NBA front office people think that to succeed in this league, you need five real deal NBA big men you can trust.

Unless you count light-duty rookie Brandan Wright, or dubious talent Patrick O'Bryant, the Warriors have one: Andres Biedrins. Sure, times in the NBA are a changin', but that's ridiculous. The Portland Trail Blazers are the worst team in the league at scoring in the paint, but against the Warriors this season, they have had a field day by feeding offensively challenged Joel Przybilla for easy buckets over smaller defenders.

This is a team with some players in their prime (Baron Davis, Stephen Jackson) that could use some heft to reinforce their mission in the playoffs, and the Warriors seem be designed to make some deals sooner rather than later. The team is $9.1 million under the luxury tax line, and even has room to operate under the salary cap thanks to a whopping $9.99 million trade exception resulting from the Jason Richardson trade. The team also has a $2.13 million trade exception, courtesy of Ike Diogu's traded contract, which expires this Thursday. On top of all that, Mickael Pietrus, the injured Troy Hudson, and O'Bryant are all ready to be desirable throw-ins: each is unlikely to be with the team for the long-term, and will be a free agent this summer.

[h3]Different Team Next Year?[/h3]The Warriors are in no danger of going into the luxury-tax bracket and have only about $45 million in committed payroll next season. But almost their entire rotation is up for a new contract, including Baron Davis, Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins, and keeping them all will take almost all of Golden State's available cap space.
Then there are backups Matt Barnes and Mickael Pietrus, who both will be entering unrestricted free agency, and the prospect of rebuilding a bench that has been precariously thin to date.

In other words, it could be a very different looking team this time next year.

"Absolutely," vice president Chris Mullin said. -- San Francisco Chronicle

Ellis and Pietrus for Arenas.....

happy.gif

Baron
Gilbert
Jackson
Al
Biedrins

=

eek.gif

That's the way Mullin and Nellie designed it though. They both wanted the flexibility of the payroll when 2008 rolls around for the FAs out there. I'mnot totally sure, but isn't the 2009 FA pool loaded too? As long as we sign our important guys like Baron, Monta, and Andris, we can replace the rest ofthe guys. We all pretty much agree that Pietrus is disposable
laugh.gif
right? Barnes' level of play has really been a disappointment from a year ago. Idon't know why, but I still think that POB can be a backup center who can contribute when given the opportunity. I don't know why Nellie doesn'tgive him more playing time. He sees him everyday in practice and sees what he can do... I don't know...

Originally Posted by JordanXI45

Ellis and Pietrus for Arenas.....

happy.gif

Baron
Gilbert
Jackson
Al
Biedrins

=

eek.gif

No need to make a trade for Arenas. What's the point? He's opting out of his contract regardless in the offseason. We can make an offer to him thenif we so choose. But remember, he gave Washington his word that he'll re-sign with them.

the only player we can be sure won't go anywhere next year are the rookies and SJax, from the way things are looking. I just hope Monta/Andris are bothre-signed and Baron stays. Outside of the starting 5, all the role players are replaceable from Pietrus, Barnes, etc.

Croshere and Pietrus are giving the Warriors good production off the bench... I've always liked Croshere ever since his Indiana days for some reason...
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
@ CJ Watson's award. I bet they just got a plate from one of the luxury suites and used it as an award because that doesn't even have anyengraving or anything it looks like a regular plate. After he received that I saw him just give it to one of the refs, I bet he didn't even keep that
laugh.gif

We're playing good, just keep it up.

Would you resign Ellis if the W's were able to land Arenas though? I think it's all talk IMO...Arenas would want to be the main guy in Oakland and weall know that Baron has made himself the main man in Oakland...But to see #0 back in a Warrior uniform would be great. Bedriens is a key signing the W'shave to do, along with an additional big man...Why not give Rod Benson a try.

Back
Top Bottom