Official Warriors Season Thread

got a whole bunch of home games now; hopefully the warriors can capitalize on them after that loss to the twolves. they gotta start picking it up at home andmake a strong push for the playoffs.

[h1]LIVING ON THE EDGE: FUN AND DANGEROUS[/h1] [h2]Everyone's entitled to an off-game[/h2]

Scott Ostler, Chronicle Staff Writer

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

(01-21) 18:07 PST OAKLAND -- The Warriors blew Game 43 of the NBA regular season Monday. Lost by a point, at home, to the woebegone Minnesota Timberwolves. Afterward, a disconsolate Don Nelson declined, for the first time this season, to take postgame questions from the media.

But we can pick up the slack right here. We're open for business. Fire away:

Q: Whose fault was the loss?

A: There is a debate. Nelson said it was his fault, because he failed in his repeated attempts during the game to "get blood (passion) out of a turnip (his team)." Nelson grew up on a farm, so if he can't get blood out of a turnip, no one can.

Baron Davis disagreed with Nelson. Davis said the loss was his fault because "I'm supposed to be doing that (squeezing blood out of the turnip)."

Stephen Jackson said it was a no-fault loss.

"(Bleep) happens," Jackson said, winding up for a triple negative. "Ain't nobody gonna lose no sleep over this game. ... It's the league, man, ups and downs."

Best answer: Jackson.

Q: Could it be that the turnip was sucked dry during the team's impressive first half of the season, including the recent 3-for-4 trip?

A: Could be. Over the past year, the Warriors have been the NBA's poster team for overachieving. On Monday, they got a total 34 productive minutes from three players who spent most of last season in the NBA Development League, where the star players have little statues of Saint Don Nelson mounted on their car dashboards.

The Warriors, on a per-game basis, get more from their collective talent than any team in the league. Playing at that high of a level can either wear down a team or fire it up (see: last season).

Q: But where was the passion Monday?

A: That was the burning question for the entire last decade. Coach after Warriors' coach would throw up his hands, and his lunch, over his inability to ignite that elusive flame. Then, a year ago, it got lit.

So the Warriors maybe lacked turnip juice for one lousy game. Who can complain about that?

In those old days, the lack of passion typically would result in a 10-point (or worse) loss. On Monday, it resulted in a one-point loss, on a blown layup and missed tip at the buzzer.

Q: Fine, but don't the Warriors rely too much on their three-point shooting?

A: Yes, and Nelson probably would agree with you. But hey, this is what they do. The Warriors love to jack up the three.

On Monday, against a team that doesn't have an imposing interior defense, the Warriors fired up 32 long balls, making 10. The Timberwolves took 20 three-point attempts, making nine.

For the season the Warriors average 28 three-point attempts; their opponents average 19. Monta Ellis is the only Warrior who doesn't treat an open 17-foot jump shot like it's a radioactive cowflop. A team that relies on the three-pointer that heavily is going to be a bit streaky.

Q: Why don't the Warriors throw the ball inside more? Minnesota center Al Jefferson is averaging 20 points a game. He got 21 Monday. Why not feed Andris Biedrins like the T'wolves feed Jefferson?

A: Because Biedrins doesn't have the post moves Jefferson has. Or the weight to throw around like Jefferson has.

Q: How can Biedrins develop moves and confidence if his teammates don't throw him the ball?

A: Good point. But this isn't the D-League. The Warriors never throw the ball into Biedrins. He gets pick-and-roll action, and put-back action, and that's it. The Warriors say they're working with Biedrins to develop that inside game, but so far, no sign of it.

Q: Was Davis tired Monday? He missed that layup, and he shot horribly all day.

A: Davis says he's not tired. But if he was, I'm probably not the guy he would tell.

One thing is sure: Nelson knows he's riding his lead horse too hard, but it's not like the Warriors have a playoff spot clinched. On Monday, Davis played a team-high 39 minutes, 35 seconds. He plays with at least three injured body parts bandaged.

It would be nice for Davis if he were selected for the All-Star Game, but I'm guessing Nelson and the fellahs would rather see Davis spend the All-Star break cryogenically frozen, or at least in a hammock.

Q: Will the Warriors make any changes in the next couple of weeks?

A: Nelson has guaranteed that the team will make some type of move or moves. Gary Payton is still at large. But the Warriors aren't going to land a superstar, and they're not going to get a quality big man. So it's going to be more of the same: Over- achieve or die.

Q: Sounds like a tough row to!$+@, eh?

A: Good farm expression, Clem. It's going to be tough, sure. You just have to have faith in Farmer Boy and his Flying Turnips.

Got this from RealGM, Warriors might cut Watson and sign Payton?

Awkward moment of the week had to belong to Golden State's C.J. Watson, who was honored before last week's game against the Pacers for being the 100th all-time NBA call-up from the Developmental League. Warriors executive and former Boyd Anderson star Mitch Richmond did the presenting. Watson soon is expected to be released in favor of former Heat guard Gary Payton.
Heres the link

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/sfl-flspiralane20sbjan20,0,3363440.column

Originally Posted by Enlightened Thought

the hell is a triple negative?

Did you even read the article?
"(Bleep) happens," Jackson said, winding up for a triple negative. "Ain't nobody gonna lose no sleep over this game. ... It's the league, man, ups and downs."

Watson is okay...but Payton is definitely better for the short-term, IMO. Watson did make a couple small mistakes down the stretch in the Minny game (drawing acharge in the restricted area)...but his play has been okay. It'd be nice to bring in a veteran like that

Originally Posted by acidicality

Watson is okay...but Payton is definitely better for the short-term, IMO. Watson did make a couple small mistakes down the stretch in the Minny game (drawing a charge in the restricted area)...but his play has been okay. It'd be nice to bring in a veteran like that

Nit-picking. If anything, the kid is too unselfish.

No one knows what kind of shape Payton is in right now. Everyone needs to get over themselves with this Gary Payton being back in Oakland fetish.

Cool lets waive Watson for a player that can't score or play defense
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
. Hudson all over again.

Nice to see 'Buikie using the money from last year on a new whip-

http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_8052847?source=most_viewed
Warrior Azubuike takes it easy before a game
By Marcus Thompson II

STAFF WRITER
Article Launched: 01/23/2008 05:39:23 AM PST

Click photo to enlarge
The Golden State Warriors' Kelenna Azubuike drives to the morning "shoot-around" in Oakland,...

* «
* »

Links

* Discuss the Warriors
* Inside the NBA Blog
* Warriors official site
* More Warriors coverage

Related

* Jan 23:
* T'wolves depart, questions remain

OAKLAND -- The life of an NBA player is worthy of envy.

Millions of dollars. Celebrity access. Plenty of free time.

It's a life of itch-scratching and thrill-seeking. It's a life of luxury and abundance. Most people would do anything to be in a player's shoes forjust one day.

Well, if Warriors guard Kelenna Azubuike is a typical NBA player, game day would be the wrong day to do so.

Earlier this month, on a day when the Warriors were to host the Memphis Grizzlies, Azubuike allowed a reporter and a photographer a glimpse at his dailyroutine.

For Azubuike, game days are all about relaxing. Call it the calm before the storm. He purposely keeps his life tranquil in the hours before tipoff.

The goal is to preserve every
Multimedia

* Video: Saving it all for the game

ounce of energy before the real fun starts at 7:30 p.m.

10:07 a.m.: A pearl blue BMW 750Li, rolling on 22-inch rims, creeps out of the basement parking lot of an apartment overlooking Lake Merritt. Azubuike, sleepstill painted on his face, peers through the windshield from behind the steering wheel. Shootaround, game day's version of practice, starts at 11 a.m., butAzubuike needs to be there by 10:30 for some pre-practice drills and treatment. He usually leaves by 9:45, but his slumber was just too deep. He isn'tworried.

"I'll get there in plenty of time," he says, "with the way I drive."

10:26 a.m.: He arrives on schedule but without time for breakfast. (The Warriors provide a chef who whips up made-to-order breakfast before
Advertisement
practices and lunch after practices.) Azubuike quickly changes out of his smoke-gray hooded sweatsuit and into his practice uniform, grabs a quick bite andheads to the court.

He starts with shooting drills, taking up to five consecutive shots from various spots on the floor. After that comes a minipractice, in which the Warriors goover the scheme for that game's opponent. The practice ends with a review of the scouting report and free throw shooting.

12:25 p.m.: Traffic is heavy on the streets of downtown Oakland. Azubuike, an ice pack under his sweats strapped to his right knee, maneuvers his car throughthe lunch crowd heading back to his apartment. He can hardly wait. The most important part of game day other than the game is just minutes away. Nap time.

"Sleep is everything," Azubuike says. "It means being alert and ready for the game. It means being very relaxed. ... You want to try to stay offyour legs, save your energy."

12:37 p.m.: Azubuike opens the door to his apartment, which is a reflection of his minimalist personality. His yellow corduroy couch stands out against thehospital-white walls. The highlights of the apartment are a new dining room set and a Nintendo Wii. That, and a patio with a scenic view.

"I like to keep it simple," Azubuike says. "I don't need too much."

Of course, that's not surprising for a second-year player yet to make his first million. Azubuike, called up from the NBA Development League just over ayear ago, signed a two-year contract this offseason after his play persuaded the Warriors to keep him around. He has the ability to become a free agent nextseason, which is likely to happen. Still, don't expect Azubuike to be indulging in many luxuries.

3:30 p.m.: The alarm clock screams into Azubuike's ear, concluding some 21/2 hours of sleep. He's a little hungry -- all he's had since breakfastwas a couple slices of store-bought banana bread -- so he devours some leftover chicken parmesan his uncle made the day before.

4:58 p.m.: Azubuike parks in Lot F at Oracle Arena, amid a sea of BMWs, Mercedes Benzes and Range Rovers in the players' lot. Almost immediately, he headsto the training room tucked away in the back of the Warriors locker room. He needs to get taped, have treatment on his knee and stretch before engaging inpregame drills.

6:30 p.m.: Azubuike's schedule is thrown off by a meeting with the Warriors' team doctor. Normally, he would be heading to a small room just outsidethe locker room where interested players participate in a Bible study known as chapel. Among the regulars who attend are forwards Al Harrington, StephenJackson and Brandan Wright. But Azubuike needs a stretching session with strength coach John Murray. The tendinitis in his right knee has bothered him lately.

8:06 p.m.: Azubuike enters the game to start the second quarter, his first action of the night. Coach Don Nelson goes the first 11 minutes with the starters,using only six players in the opening period. By the time Azubuike checks into the game, the Warriors are down 33-27.

8:35 p.m.: Warriors point guard Baron Davis keeps an eye on Azubuike as they race down the court on a fast break. At just the right time, he lobs a soft passthat Azubuike snatches in mid-air and slams home with two hands. It is his first basket of the game after missing two shots and drawing an offensive foul. Thenext Warriors possession, Azubuike nails a pull-up jumper from just left of the free-throw line. Then he finds rookie guard C.J. Watson wide open for a3-pointer with two seconds left in the half. In a span of one minute, 17 seconds, Azubuike totals four points and an assist.

8:48 p.m.: Just before the second half starts, Azubuike has one more duty. He takes part in a check presentation from Verizon Wireless to the Alameda CountyFamily Justice Center -- a $57,500 grant to bring awareness to domestic violence health care.

It seems trivial, posing with a display check and a corporate representative. But it shows just how far Azubuike has come in his brief NBA career. NewYear's Day 2007, Azubuike was a member of the Fort Worth Flyers. Now, he is an NBA player and a spokesperson for a community-relations promotion -- thekind of duty usually assigned to players such as Davis, Monta Ellis and Jackson.

9:47 p.m.: Azubuike hustles down court, trailing an Ellis-led fast break. With the crowd roaring, Ellis races to the basket, but his layup rolls off the rim..Azubuike comes out of nowhere to dunk it home with 1:48 left in the game, capping a 9-2 run that puts the Warriors ahead by 13 en route to a 116-104 win.

10:18 p.m.: Azubuike, wrapped in a towel, shuffles slowly to the shower as if he'd just finished a long day at a construction site. In reality, he played18 minutes, totaling nine points and four rebounds. With his playing time uncertain, he has to go all out every time.

"I always have to have the attitude of bringing energy," Azubuike says. "You want to do whatever you can to help your team. Like a lot of guysin here, I never know when I'm going to get in or how long I'm going to be out there, so I have to be ready."

10:37 p.m.: Fully dressed, Azubuike heads out of the locker room, ready to unwind. Jackson invites his teammates over to his apartment after the game for somefood and movies. Never one to pass up free food and relaxation, Azubuike joins in. It's the perfect way to end his perfect game day.

Watson is good, yeah it's a little nitpicking for me to pick on that charge call, but GP is clearly more experienced which is more of my point.......and inthe playoffs i'd take someone with more experience.

I'm cool with keeping Watson as well, but would not mind having GP either. It's not even about the whole Oakland thing. It's about experience. Andfor the short term, GP may be better. Watson isn't bad and I'd love to keep him but if they cut him and add GP I wouldn't be opposed to it.

I just think that Payton is a step slow and rusty. This team is about pushing the ball up the court and I'd hate to have our point-guard finish alongsideAl Harrington.

That was a cool article about a day in the life of Kelenna. Also, it's pretty weird that Baron resides in the city and everyone else just has apartments inthe Lake Merritt area. That commute must suck.

Will Webber Return?

Word on the street says Golden State Warriors coach Don Nelson has been seen at Chris Webber's Natomas restaurant, Center Court with C-Webb, twice recently. That only could mean Webber and Nelson are considering the completion of the ultimate full circle and a Webber return to Golden State.

With agent Aaron Goodwin representing Gary Payton as well as Webber, could the former Skyline High School (Oakland) guard be far behind? Baron Davis, one of the league's best point guards, needs rest, and Payton surely could fill that backup role. -- Sacramento Bee

I'm a big Payton fan, but I doubt he has much left in the tank. Anyone know when this deal is expected to be finalized?

I think while the stories would be great, getting either Webber or Payton won't do much to help us. These guys are seriously run down and only teams i cansee them helping are half court teams. Our style is too run and gun for them. They wouldn't be able to keep up. I think instead of helping us,they'd hinder us.

Hey I live 10 minutes away from that restaurant. Anyway, I highly doubt Webber would be any help for the W's. He can't keep up with the pace, we ranhim off the court last year when we played the Pistons. Anyway, as far as the rumor of waiving Watson for Payton...I'm not sure about that...How great ofshape is Payton really in? If Webber does come back to Oakland...Wow. I would be surprised.

Back
Top Bottom