Official Warriors Season Thread

GREAT WIN for the Warriors. We held another team less than 100 pts.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Final record in Dec: 11-6
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

koolaid5b.jpg

[table][tr][td]Wed 02[/td] [td] @ Dallas [/td] [td] 5:30pm[/td] [td] FSBay[/td] [td] NBATVHIGHDEF, RTV[/td] [td] 1050[/td] [/tr][tr][td] Fri 04[/td] [td] vs New Orleans [/td] [td] 7:30pm[/td] [td] FSBayHD[/td] [td]
broadcast_NBALP.gif
[/td] [td] 680[/td] [/tr][tr][td] Mon 07[/td] [td] vs San Antonio [/td] [td] 7:30pm[/td] [td] FSBayHD[/td] [td] NBATVHIGHDEF, RTV[/td] [td] 680[/td] [/tr][tr][td] Wed 09[/td] [td] @ Portland [/td] [td] 7:00pm[/td] [td] FSBay[/td] [td]
broadcast_NBALP.gif
[/td] [td] 680[/td] [/tr][/table]
Gonna be tough games ahead.

pimp.gif
yup, what a way to close out 2007. that 4th quarter was crazy, if we're hitting the 3s we're a team that's very tough to beat. Hella kept ourcomposure after the lame refs tried to turn things around in the 2nd qtr.

yeah, i dont know if it would work money wise, but it would be nice to trade hudson and pietrus for white chocolate and then pick up rod benson from dleague
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

highly unlikely but whatever

[table][tr][td]Belinelli To See Time At Point Guard?[/td] [/tr][tr][td]December 31, 2007 - 8:15 pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Belinelli_Marco_gsw.jpg
Contra Costa Times -
Rookie guard Marco Belinelli said he would welcome minutes at the point, but acknowledged the team would be best if it were just a handful at a time.

"About 10 minutes," Belinelli said. "Coming up, playing in Italy, I always played point guard. But I need work."

He said the coaches have told him they like him at point because he has their desired size. At 6-foot-5, 192 pounds, Belinelli can see and shoot over most opposing point guards.

I've been saying this for a while now, it would be a good move for the Warriors if he played some point guard.
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Great way to close out the year. The refs were terrible, but we played through it and were able to come out on top. It shows how much this team has grown.Baron, Jax, and Al won us the 4th quarter, and the game. Great to see a good record ending the year. Much different from years past.

Happy New Years guys!

Warriors need a point guard to spell Davis down the road

Contra Costa Times

Article Launched: 12/31/2007 02:57:42 AM PST

The Warriors, once again, are in need of a reserve point guard now that they've learned Troy Hudson is possibly out for the season after unavoidable hip surgery.
In Hudson, the Warriors hoped to address one of their notable weaknesses -- a backup for starting point guard Baron Davis, who has a history of injury and is playing a lot of minutes already this season. That need has suddenly resurfaced now that Hudson is expected to go under the knife in the coming days.

So, how can the Warriors refill this hole? Glad you asked. Here are some feasible options:

Carlos Arroyo, Orlando Magic: He's a pretty good playmaker and, with seven NBA seasons on his resume, has a fair amount of experience. His outside shot is sketchy, but he's a solid passer and floor general. Also, Arroyo's used to life as a backup having played behind Chauncey Billups in Detroit and Jameer Nelson in Orlando.

He's making $4.1 million this year, the final year of his contract. So he should be motivated. The Magic, with Nelson and Keyon Dooling (wouldn't mind him, either), can afford to trade Arroyo and might be willing to do so for Golden State swingman Mickael Pietrus, perhaps the Warrior most likely to be offered.

The drawbacks? Arroyo has a history of run-ins with coaches, and Don Nelson has a history of clashing with guys who have attitude problems. There is some risk such a move would effect the Warriors' chemistry. Plus, Orlando might want more than Pietrus, which could be too much.

Earl Boykins, free agent: The former Warrior is there for the taking and he would have no problem fitting into the Warriors offense. He is instant offense off the bench, fits into the uptempo system and he can shoot. Plus the fans loved him last time he played in Oakland.

The drawbacks? He wants way too much money. He's sitting out now because he reportedly won't sign for less than the midlevel exception (around $5 million a year) and he wants a multiyear contract. He walked away from a $3 million option with Milwaukee. Another obstacle is his size. At 5-foot-5, he might even be too small for the gimmicky Nellie, who likes his guards big.

Smush Parker, Miami Heat: Coach Pat Riley is through with Parker and admitted he's been trying to trade the former Los Angeles Laker. Remember, Miami almost had Pietrus and wanted him (and Pietrus would love to go there) this offseason. So Parker for Pietrus is reasonable. Parker is fast enough to fit in the Warriors' style of play, and his defense pressure would come in handy. At 6-foot-4, 190 pounds, he has all right size. He's athletic and he's cheap, making just $2.2 million this year.

The drawbacks? He's clashed with Phil Jackson and Riley, so he could bring some attitude problems. He's not a good shooter (currently shooting 31.5 percent from the floor, 25 percent from 3-point range), which doesn't work with the Warriors offense. Also, he has a $2.4 million player option for next season, so he'll be on the books for 2008-09.

Tyronn Lue, Atlanta Hawks: He's shooting 45 percent from 3-point range this year. He's perfect for the Warriors. He has experience (this is his 10th season) and he's low risk (getting $3.5 million, will be a free agent at season's end). The Hawks have four point guards not counting combo guard Joe Johnson -- Lue, Anthony Johnson, rookie Acie Law, Salim Stoudamire -- so they can afford to move Lue. They'd probably like Pietrus, as they are always looking to add to their swingman collection. They might even take Warriors center Patrick O'Bryant.

The drawbacks? Lue is not a true point guard. He's more of a guy who plays next to a shooting guard who operates as a point guard while Lue defends the opposing point guard.

Steve Francis, Houston Rockets: Sounds crazy, huh? Let's start with the drawbacks, since that's what comes to mind immediately. He's one of the league's most notorious head cases. He's often injured. He has steadily declined in production over the last few years. He can't even get playing time in Houston.

So why would he be an option?

Imagine a playmaker with Francis' athletic ability coming off the bench in Nelson's system. Imagine if he's healthy and motivated by a chip on his shoulder. The Warriors could catch lightning in a bottle. He only has a one-year deal for $2.3 million, so he's low risk.

OK, so the last one is a little out there. But only a certain kind of player is going to walk in and get minutes for Nelson. He has to be able to shoot, create offense and keep up with Golden State's high-octane pace.

The Warriors could end up standing pat and going with what they have. Stephen Jackson and Matt Barnes could do the point-forward thing for which Nellie is known. Rookie Marco Belinelli could get some minutes at the point or the Warriors can keep force-feeding point guard duties to Monta Ellis.

Either way, most agree, Davis just can't keep playing 40 minutes a night.

Contact Marcus Thompson II at [email protected].

Damn didn't even know there was a game today, usually I just check the guide at around 7-8 to see if there's a game. good thing I caught it in the 1stquarter. So far the road trip has been good, they've won games they knew they could win and lost some close ones.

as far as PG, maybe Marco could run it but everytime I see him get some PT this season he seems to have trouble handling the ball and seems hurried trying tomake moves all the time just to get down the court.

those FA PGs seem fine just as long as their sole purpose is to back up BD, Arroyo looks to be a good backup but I see him kinda like Monta, good ball handlerand puts offense first, which isn't bad for Nellie's system but he'd need to knock down some jumpers or at least some 3 pt shots.

Boykins again would be the same case, dude can shoot it up from anywhere and can get to the hoop, but again more of an offensive PG that anything else and weall know the offense kinda slows down with BD sitting so they need someone who can distribute and create. and he probably won't come in for the price wecan afford

the others mentioned can't even do both, Smush.. 'nuff said. Lue, like it's been mentioned in the article doesn't play much of a PG.

probably one of the best things that could happen is that GP comes back and does a good job at backup, and maybe for the vet minimum too hopefully. if notI'd say trade Pietrus for Eric Snow or something.

I wouldn't want Earl simply because he would demand the ball majority of the time. And with the money he's demanding, the W's can pass with that. Iwouldn't mind ruling out Gary Payton...I think he can still play at a high level and be productive off the bench. Smush Parker...I don't know...thatwould be a risk the W's would take...But the W's took a risk for Stack Jack and look how that landed.

about our next game, i think the warriors win EZ thanks to jackson returning as that defensive threat

Baron Davis routinely delivers in clutch

Warriors go long with 'short game'

By Marcus Thompson II, STAFF WRITER

Article Last Updated: 01/02/2008 06:32:18 AM PST

Warriors point guard Baron Davis has a new nickname.
In addition to Boom Dizzle, B. Diddy and Too Easy - monikers that celebrate his ubercool nature - assistant coach Keith Smart revealed another handle for Davis. Short Game.

No, it has nothing to do with his golf game. The nickname references Davis' ability to take over down the stretch. In those situations, the Warriors go to their condensed game plan.

Forward Stephen Jackson described it best: "Get the ball to Baron and get out the way."

Because when victory is at stake, especially on the road, that's when Davis has been at his best.

"When the fourth quarter is on the line, you get the ball tohim," Smart said. "He plays below the foul line, he can make plays on (the perimeter). He's a willing passer if he's doubled, and he can take advantage of (shooting guards) and (small forwards), let alone (point guards). Baron just understands the game."

Tonight, Davis plays against the Dallas Mavericks, a team that knows how clutch he can be. Davis hit big shot after big shot in the Warriors' upset of the Mavericks in the first round of last season's playoffs.

Short Game is the main reason the Warriors have a chance to sweep their first three-game road trip in 15 years. In Sunday's win at Denver and Monday's win at Houston, Davis totaled 20 points and seven assists in the fourth quarters. The Warriors outscored the Nuggets 30-23 and the Rockets 37-15.

Davis' numbers only begin to illustrate his importance. They don't detail how much he opens up for others as opposing defenses have to focus on him. They don't quantify the confidence-boost the Warriors' supporting cast gets in the final minutes when he has the ball in his hands.

"He does everything," forward Matt Barnes said. "He plays defense. He can guard the other team's best player. He passes with the best, always hits big shots. What else can you do as a player? When it's crunch time, there's no one else you'd rather have on the floor, offensively or defensively."

If you listen to those in the Warriors' locker room, there's no better point guard in the fourth quarter. No one presents such a mismatch on offense and is such a factor on defense.

After what he did to Dallas in the postseason, and how he's come up big in the clutch this season, his teammates are numb to his late-game antics.

"I don't get amazed because that's what I expect from him," Jackson said. "I know he can do it. If y'all seen some of the stuff he does in practice, you wouldn't be amazed. Baron has an imagination out of this world. So when he does something you don't expect, we expect it because we're around him every day."

Davis has been in position to take over down the stretch because the Warriors have made a habit of giving Davis a break. It may not show up in the minutes played, though he has seen a tiny bit more rest. Earlier this season, he was third in the league in minutes played. Now he's 16th and second on the Warriors behind Jackson.

At the very least, the Warriors have been sitting him out at the end of the third quarter, and sometimes the start of the fourth quarter. They also allow Jackson and guard Monta Ellis to take some of the grueling point-guard duties on occasion, giving Davis easier minutes at the shooting guard spot.

"Because he's not always involved in the pick and roll," Smart said, "he doesn't wear out by the fourth quarter."

With relatively fresh legs under him, Davis said his mind-set shifts in the fourth quarter into a takeover mode, especially when the coaches tell him it's time to be aggressive.

"Now or never," Davis said. "Barbeque or mildew. That's my mentality."

Have you guys read this?

[h3][/h3]
[h3]Stackhouse firm on Stephen Jackson[/h3]
When the Mavs beat the Warriors 120-115 back in November at their place, only one thing was missing -- Stephen Jackson. He was serving a seven-game suspension to start the season so he missed out on guarding Dirk Nowitzki, a job he did pretty well in the first round.

With the Warriors in Dallas Wednesday night, I'll have an article that morning looking at the matchup between Dirk and Jackson and the Mavs and Warriors.

While Jackson seemed to really irritate Nowitzki in that series, Jerry Stackhouse was adamant on Monday that it wasn't so much what Jackson did to Nowitzki, but rather what Nowitzki and the Mavs did to themselves.

Here's Stackhouse's take on Jackson's defensive role in the playoffs:

"I just think we didn't take advantage of some of the things that we should have. We weren't aggressive in our moves. We allowed him to play; up until that series, nobody had ever thought of Stephen Jackson as no hell of a defensive player. He was just a guy that could shoot the basketball. He made some big shots for San Antonio when they won the championship that year [2003]. But, he's not no defensive stopper or anything. I think it was moreso what we allowed to happen to us. Like anything basketball is a game of confidence. When they come out and for a game and tell him that he did a good job on Dirk, now all of a sudden he's looking for him. It's up to Dirk to get that back. What's a better opportunity to do that than Wednesday night?"

-- Jeff Caplan

smh.gif
Who does Stackhouse think he is?

Back
Top Bottom