Official Warriors Offseason Thread --> PLEASE LOCK.

Yesterday was "David Lee day".
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by chr1scross

Originally Posted by acidicality

Yesterday was "David Lee day".
ohwell.gif

?

[h1]Warriors' Lee hits the ground running[/h1]

Rusty Simmons, Chronicle Staff Writer
San Francisco Chronicle July 29, 2010 04:00 AM Copyright San Francisco Chronicle. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Prod

Thursday, July 29, 2010

New Warriors power forward David Lee spent much of Wednesday, his first full day in the Bay Area since being traded here last month, shaking hands despite the splint on his dislocated right middle finger.

With each hand he properly and firmly shook, Lee sent a message to Warriors fans that he plans to be fully healthy in advance of training camp in September. More importantly, he made it clear that he's going to do all the right things for the entirety of his six-year, $80 million stay in Golden State.

The 6-foot-9, 250-pounder visited El Dorado Elementary School, located on a hill above Visitacion Valley in San Francisco. Lee joined the Warriors and the Good Tidings Foundation in an agreement to refurbish the outdoor basketball court at the school, which has one dilapidated hoop and some metal scraps where the other should be standing.

"Part of what you play for is the franchise and your teammates, but you also play for the community and the city you live in," said Lee, whose local blacktop had metal nets. "What better way to start that off than to do something for the kids of the community?"

Lee's grandfather, E. Desmond Lee, reportedly donated $70 million to St. Louis causes when he died in January at age 92. Even after he was traded from New York this summer, Lee went to the funeral of a Knicks security guard, so the team would be represented.

When he injured his finger on the first day of U.S. training camp last week, Lee quickly rushed to a Bay Area doctor and back to Las Vegas to be with his teammates.

Dozens of children raised their hands when Warriors radio announcer Tim Roye asked who was excited to play on the court once its remake is completed with Plexiglas backboards. Lee was the biggest kid to quickly raise his hand.

"We've never had an athlete come in and want to do a community project his first day in the Bay Area," Good Tidings Foundation executive director Larry Harper said. "For a guy to step foot off a plane and the first thing he is doing is one of these projects, that really says a lot."

Lee didn't start or stop there.

He began the day at San Francisco City Hall, where Mayor Gavin Newsom proclaimed it "David Lee Day." Lee later watched as the first segment of the Bay Bridge's suspension span was lifted into place.

Eventually, he'll get back to the court. In fact, it doesn't sound like he'll be waiting the expected six weeks before his finger is removed from the splint.

As a sophomore in high school, Lee had his dominant left arm broken, so he played right-handed while in a cast. Still today, it's sometimes unclear whether Lee is right- or left-handed because he is so adept at finishing with his right.

He said the finger injury will give him a chance to improve his left, with which he has never dunked in a game. Each summer, he has added something to his skill set, moving from a role player as a rookie to a 2010 NBA All-Star.

"I've had doubters along the way who I've proven wrong," said Lee, one of three players in the league to average at least 20 points and 10 rebounds a game last season. "This is another step. In situations like this, I know I can fall back on the fact that I outwork everybody.

"I've had to make a gradual climb and haven't been given anything. It breeds confidence in knowing that I've put the work in and, at that point, I feel like I deserve to go out there and play well."

While in New York, Lee saw 49 teammates come and go. He played for three distinctly different coaches and two general managers in five seasons of losing there.

He's hoping that he can change that trend with the Warriors. Lee met with new owner Joe Lacob this week and came away impressed that transformation for the better is coming.

"I've accomplished a lot of the individual things, having had a chance to be an All-Star, a 20-10 guy and MVP of the Rookie-Sophomore game," Lee said, "but it's safe to say that how I'm judged over these next six years will be on how much I can help this team.

"My entire focus has nothing to do with my individual performance. I'm confident that I'm going to work hard and I'm going to play well, but it's a matter of what I can do to help this team get to a new level and become a playoff team."

Curry advances with U.S. roster: Warriors point guard Stephen Curry is among 15 finalists for 12 spots on the team that will represent the United States at the World Championships, USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo announced.

Colangelo cut Tyreke Evans, O.J. Mayo, JaVale McGee and Gerald Wallace, and will trim three more players before the team plays Aug. 28 in Turkey. Curry is one of five point guards in contention for a roster spot.

"I thought his on-ball defense was very good, as well as his knowledge of the game," U.S coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "He's an outstanding passer and stretches the defense as probably our longest-range shooter.

"He's obviously one of the best shooters in the NBA."

Globe-trotting: Warriors rookie guard Jeremy Lin was in Taipei to play in a charity game that benefited the Yao Ming Foundation. Lin was on a roster of NBA players that challenged the Shanghai Sharks Chinese National Team.

damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn....I saw a David Lee B-Ball court poster at El Dorado on Tuesday.
Figured he just  donated some money. Had I known he was going to be there on Wed, I would have taken my niece to the school (she's about to start kinder there) since we live about 2 blocks away from el dorado.

Anyway, props to Lee for doing this type of work from the start, and in vis valley too!

Before we signed Pargo, I thought the W's had an excellent chance of aquiring acid's version of Miami Thrice - Lin, Quinn, George
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

Before we signed Pargo, I thought the W's had an excellent chance of aquiring acid's version of Miami Thrice - Lin, Quinn, George
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Put them all together you have an 82-0 season and a guaranteed NBA title.
pimp.gif

3 months until the season starts. If this season is even half as bad as last year, I might go crazy. This should be a great season even if the Warriors suck.

This is probably the most anticipated season (for me at least) in a long time, because of Jeremy Lin.
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
Now, I have incentive to watch every Warrior game, even when we're losing big.

Honestly, even if Lin were on the Fakers, I'd be watching Faker games so I could see him play.
smh.gif

Holy !*%@%** $!*@ Acid with a new .gif!
eek.gif

Voted as well, but to be honest, I think Tina looks better.

I voted for Michelle cause she was the best dancer and had the best interview, but NONE of them said they were Warriors fans...

If Michelle doesn't win the vote, please let her know that I am in need of a personal assistant. She has all the qualities I am looking for: hot, nice hair, hot, flexible, and entertains the crowd. She's a shoo-in. I provide a competitive retirement/benefits package and a package of a different sort.

voted. best looking girl out of the three.

finally joined the ffball league after receiving the invite days ago. thanks again NTL. just got around to it after i came back from SoCal.

Back
Top Bottom