Official Warriors Off Season Thread

Alright so listening to the radio today and we must use that 10 million Trade Exemption we have 4 days after the draft, and bang Fitz had the perfect tradescenario with it.

Trade Exemption #14 pick and Harrington

Earl Watson and Chris Wilcox

Chris Wilcox is a better PF to fit inside with Biedrens and can really help us out. If he doesn't pan out next year his contract is only for 1 year.
Earl Watson would be the perfect back up pg for us. Him and Baron also go back to their UCLA days.

Originally Posted by OwensStr8Clownin

Alright so listening to the radio today and we must use that 10 million Trade Exemption we have 4 days after the draft, and bang Fitz had the perfect trade scenario with it.

Chris Wilcox is a better PF to fit inside with Biedrens and can really help us out. If he doesn't pan out next year his contract is only for 1 year.
Earl Watson would be the perfect back up pg for us. Him and Baron also go back to their UCLA days.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
was this dude serious?

Alright so listening to the radio today and we must use that 10 million Trade Exemption we have 4 days after the draft, and bang Fitz had the perfect trade scenario with it.

Wouldn't do that trade. Seattle would get yet another 1st round pick
ohwell.gif

Both are players that could without a doubt help us though, without question. But if that could be tweaked so that we don't have to give up the 1stround pick and any other untouchable assets, maybe.

i heard the interview too-i think bob brought watson up to baron only cuz he's a UCLA dude.

b7dc847e15be55de72f50684b7466158-getty-80391826ab033_spurs_lakers.jpg

LOS ANGELES - MAY 29: Baron Davis (L) of the Golden State Warriors and actor Adam Sandler attend Game Five of the Western Conference Finals between the SanAntonio Spurs and the Los Angeles Lakers during the 2008 NBA Playoffs at Staples Center May 29, 2008 in Los Angeles, California. NOTE TO USER: User expresslyacknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and/or using this Photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images LicenseAgreement. Mandatory Copyright Notice: Copyright 2008 NBAE (Photo by Andrew D. Bernstein/NBAE via Getty Images)

I was watching the game at work and I was like . . . Baron's a fool
laugh.gif
As for the trade, I doubt Seattle would do it and I wouldn't do it. Wilcox has the potential to be a beast (fooling everyone with that 20 and 20 game), buthe just isn't consistent. Watson is ok, but we could get a good backup in Duhon since he's a FA and he is a good defender.

Wilcox isn't consistent? I thought he was. 14/7 isn't bad for 28 minutes a game. He shot above 52%. I mean you won't get 20/20 every night, but inthe Warriors system he wouldn't need to score, primarily to rebound and bang down low. Watson is as good as Duhon in my book as well. #14/Harrington forthose two sounds fair.

I don't think that trade makes sense even though it's fair.
Duhon would come much cheaper, and we can likely find a poor man's Millsap in the draft, or at least, someone who can attempt to serve that purpose.

You CAN, but will you? who knows what's going through their minds on draft day. It's optimistic to think needs will be filled that easily. Most timesit's difficult. Duhon has never tasted any other money than that of Chicago's, he could be asking for a lot.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

You CAN, but will you? who knows what's going through their minds on draft day. It's optimistic to think needs will be filled that easily. Most times it's difficult. Duhon has never tasted any other money than that of Chicago's, he could be asking for a lot.

the draft is unpredictable, but you'd have to think they would go after someone like that, arthur would fit that bill. Wilcox is good, but I'lltake my chances in the draft. we could also use another swingman, but i guess we won't know til it gets closer to draft day.

Duhon can't possibly be asking for that much, I mean, a lot of teams could use him, but he's not getting anywhere close to elite point guardmoney.

But the biggest downside of that trade is we lose our 2nd best player. and we don't even get Seattle's 2nd best player back
tired.gif

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by acidicality

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

You CAN, but will you? who knows what's going through their minds on draft day. It's optimistic to think needs will be filled that easily. Most times it's difficult. Duhon has never tasted any other money than that of Chicago's, he could be asking for a lot.

the draft is unpredictable, but you'd have to think they would go after someone like that, arthur would fit that bill. Wilcox is good, but I'll take my chances in the draft. we could also use another swingman, but i guess we won't know til it gets closer to draft day.

Duhon can't possibly be asking for that much, I mean, a lot of teams could use him, but he's not getting anywhere close to elite point guard money.

But the biggest downside of that trade is we lose our 2nd best player. and we don't even get Seattle's 2nd best player back
tired.gif

laugh.gif

Oh hell naw... I won't allow it!! Dammit y'all, Harrington is vital to our team's success... VITAL!
Originally Posted by Enlightened Thought

yup, hughes was supposed to be the "savior" but homie couldn't make a jumpshot if his life depended on it.

we traded an over the hill, low percentage shooter in Starks for a guy who couldn't even throw the ball in the ocean if he were standing in a boat in Hughes.
Dude, I remember a game where we played the Lakers and Fitz made such a big deal of the Kobe vs Hughes matchup saying it was going to be one ofthe best matchups in the west for years to come and blah blah blah... funny how things turned out
mad.gif

Originally Posted by Luong1209

Paul, I know what you mean, I'm not a fan of college basketball either, so I have no say in the conversations
laugh.gif

Yeah... I'm going to make it a goal to catch a few college b-ball games next season. I need to broaden my horizons
laugh.gif

Oh and by the way... RealGM finally accepted me. I'm ecstatic
happy.gif
. I listened to JapanAir21's advice andmessaged the dudes over there and it worked. Thanks JapanAir21
happy.gif
sx0k0y.png

laugh.gif
congrats on finally joining realGM.

i don't like posting there because there are some...personalities there. haha
i usually just read the threads, since sometimes there's interesting stuff.

I'd like Earl Watson to be our backup. He's a quality guard in the league. But then again, a lot of people expect/want us to make a move for Duhon andhe's a good guard too. Knowing that Watson is more expensive, I'll take Duhon. But it'd be nice for Watson to be on the Warriors because he andBaron go back to their UCLA days. It'd be an incentive for Baron to stay, though it isn't the most important thing on his list when thinking aboutleaving or staying in Golden State
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by 22 Deuces 22

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
was this dude serious?

Yes serious. I dont remember if our pick was in the trade but why wouldn't YOU do this trade? We already know we can't win with harrington playingour PF. It's time for a change.
If I didn't hear it correctly, without our pick that trade would be even better for us,

Watson would be better than CJ Watson was as a back-up PG, and Wilcox is a big body we need downn in the paint.

[h1]Kawakami: A couple of big men for Warriors to target: Kevin Love, Shawn Marion[/h1]
Tim Kawakami
Mercury News Columnist

Article Launched: 05/29/2008 01:37:45 AM PDT

Click photo to enlarge

UCLA's Russell Westbrook, left, Kevin Love (42) and Josh Shipp react during... ( Mark J. Terrill )

20080529__kawakami29~1_Viewer.JPG
20080529__kawakami29~2_Viewer.JPG

This is not a target-rich environment, but I have two bull's-eyes for the Warriors: UCLA's Kevin Love in the draft or the Miami Heat's Shawn Marion by trade.
That's my practical either/or off-season plan for solving the Warriors' immediate and eternal need for a versatile big forward.

As a bonus, if the Warriors find that rare forward, then every other major irritant, including the Baron Davis contract situation and the Don Nelson lame-duck situation, sort of fades into semi-irrelevance.

Get a forward who can shoot and pass. Plug him into a three-man front-line rotation with Brandan Wright and Andris Biedrins.

Assume that somebody like Marion can cover up Monta Ellis' defensive liabilities or somebody like Love can pass it perfectly to Ellis and blend nicely with Biedrins and Wright.

Do any of that, and there's your future core, with or without Davis and Nelson beyond this coming season.

But if the Warriors, picking 14th overall, just draft another project big man who doesn't fit Nellie's system, like Ike Diogu or Patrick O'Bryant, they gain almost nothing.

So it's Love in the June 26 draft, which means the Warriors have to figure out if he will fall to their 14th pick (unlikely) or if they can trade up to get him.

Or it's Marion from Miami by trade, which means it would have to be for Davis, whether or not both players exercise their June 30 opt-out clauses. (I doubt either will, so you can trade them straight up.)

I've

tried to come up with hundreds of alternatives, but Love and Marion are the best and brightest options that can survive plausible reality checks.
For instance: I think the Clippers are going to make it nearly impossible to land Elton Brand; Kansas State's Michael Beasley is not attainable for the Warriors; Seattle's Chris Wilcox is no improvement over Al Harrington; and I'd guess that, as always, quality restricted free agents (Josh Smith, Emeka Okafor, among others) are staying put.

So let's break down the two possibilities . . .

Why Love could work: There's a slight chance Love's lack of athleticism might cause him to slip to 14, in which case the Warriors' front office would be enormously pleased. My guess is that Love is their guy and has been their guy for months.

Interestingly, Davis played with Love in some UCLA pickup games and I'm told that Davis' inner circle, which can be brutal on young players, thinks that Love's game is very translatable to the NBA.

Love might measure much shorter than his listed 6-foot-9 at this week's Orlando pre-draft camp and he'll never be explosive, but he has lost some weight and has shown superb passing skills and a developing outside shot, which is perfect for the Warriors' style.

I doubt the Warriors want to choose from the expected big-man/athlete grab bag at picks 12-20: JaVale McGee, Darrell Arthur, Robin Lopez, Marreese Speights. I don't think Nellie would play any of those guys next season, especially since he has Wright and Biedrins.

But Love also could go as high as No. 3 to Minnesota, No. 5 to Memphis or, more likely, anywhere from Nos. 9 through 12 (Charlotte, New Jersey, Indiana, Sacramento).

So the Warriors should target Milwaukee and the eighth spot. Would the Bucks flop picks if the Warriors offered to use their $9.9 million trade exception to take on Bobby Simmons' terrible contract? How about the exception plus next year's No. 1?

I'd go as far as offering Wright in the deal - since he duplicates Biedrins in Nelson's system - but I hear that the Warriors will not be trading Wright.

If none of that works on draft night, on to Plan B . . .

Why Marion could work: This possibility opened up when Miami got the No. 2 pick instead of No. 1, because Chicago might grab point guard Derrick Rose first. That would leave Miami with Beasley at No. 2, which might not work smoothly with Marion.

Hmm, Miami could have an instant Eastern Conference playoff-ready roster with Beasley and Dwyane Wade . . . if Pat Riley could just import a proven point guard.

Assuming they don't opt out, Marion and Davis would have almost identical monster one-year contracts remaining. Marion loves to play fast and might get big money from the Warriors over three or four seasons. Davis needs a new team to pay him big money.

The Warriors could draft a point guard at 14 to pair with Ellis - D.J. Augustin or Russell Westbrook - or draft a project big man (easier to do if you have Marion) and try to trade for a big point guard to replace Baron.

Hey, these two options are at least as realistic for the Warriors as Kevin Garnett was last summer - and for about two minutes last draft night, the Warriors thought they had KG.

You never know what Chris Mullin will do, but you know he's searching for a versatile forward. Love and Marion are in the crosshairs. The hunt continues.

any thoughts? I honestly think we should draft DJ Augustin at #14 if he's there. I'm not too crazy about drafting another project. By the way I hate that Wilcox/watson deal for Harrington and #14. I want Harrington out, but not for Wilcox. I hope Mullin can shake things up, but I don't see us making any kind of deal moving up in the draft. It would be nice to have Love but it ain't happening.

Originally Posted by NothingToL0se

lol @ losing our 2nd best player in that trade.
laugh.gif

are you guys serious? 2nd best player?
Give me Baron, Monta, Jack, heck even Bidrens before Harrington. We can't win with him playing PF..

it's only a joke. JapanAir21 once stated Al was our 2nd best player so we never let him forget that.

There's a slight chance Love's lack of athleticism might cause him to slip to 14
After seeing that, no way should I see the following ...

which is perfect for the Warriors' style
No matter how well Love passes and shoots, his lack of athleticism hinders the Warriors style of play.

Back
Top Bottom