OFFICIAL THE WIRE THREAD.. ''The game is the game"

Yes and no. They did a good job capturing the police system, schools and politicians, but they could've done a WAY better job of actually capturing the people and culture of in inner city Baltimore. Most people from Inner city Baltimore don't even watch the wire b/c they feel it only half represents us.

First off, People in Baltimore sound nothing like Webay, Avon, Marlo, Bodie, Namond, Michael, Randy, Chris, Cheese etc. We sound like Prop Joe, Snoop, Lor Kevin, Donut, Kenard and Fruit. The Main Street characters on the Wire have unapologetic NY accents. Like imagine a dude from Atl playing someone from BK, and making no effort to look or sound like an NY dude. The problem I have with urban films and TV...is outside of NY or Boston, there really is no effort to learn the local culture. Like you see actors learning a Boston or NY accent, but in 2015...TI with his southern accent can play a gangbabger from LA. It's like we're all the same regardless of geography and our respective culture. The Wardobe annoyed a lot of us too. Like street dudes in Baltimore aren't going around wearing durags, timbs, enyce, air forces and G-unit from 04-08. I mean, half the movies set in the hood in 2015 have people still dressing like this lol. It might seem little, but when you talk about authenticity, it's lacking in that department.

Other than that, they did a good job.

I agree with a lot of the points you made.

I went to college, NCAT, with a good amount of ppl from Bmore and DMV area so I know excatly what you mean about the accents. Prop Joe, Snoop, and Spyder all had the authentic accents.

and the wardrobes.. LMAO.. They could have done a lot better with that. 

Man the dmv/bmore was deep at NCAT ...they make up the majority of out of state students :lol:

What were street dudes in B-more wearing from 04-08? I went up there in 06 and saw a lot of tall t's and 1's. Maybe it was the "lames" that were rocking them, but I definitely saw attire similar to what was popping across the nation at the time.

What were street dudes in B-more wearing from 04-08? I went up there in 06 and saw a lot of tall t's and 1's. Maybe it was the "lames" that were rocking them, but I definitely saw attire similar to what was popping across the nation at the time.

04-06 was the baggy era. And we wore Capris [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]. No denim or cargo shorts. But dudes were mainly rocking our own street wear brands. The two most popular ones were "Mosions" mainly worn on the Eastside, and "Samos" mainly on the West side.

Every now and then, you'd see somebody from the wire in Mosions, Samos, Hohfs, Cashland or even We-R-One if you paid close attention. But it was rare simply because they were so expensive. An average t - shirt like the one below could run you $40-$50. Hoodies like $100. That's why the dope boys loved Em and they made sweat suits to match foamposites and retro nikes back then. I always thought it was run by OG dope boys who had some bread. Examples below:

Then in '06 everyone got on the small shirt, true religion, seven jeans, Abercrombie American eagle and rockstar wave. By 08, an expensive Lacoste or polo shirt, seven jeans and foamposites, pumas, Nike boots or new balances was the standard look.

04-06 was the baggy era. And we wore Capris [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]. No denim or cargo shorts. But dudes were mainly rocking our own street wear brands. The two most popular ones were "Mosions" mainly worn on the Eastside, and "Samos" mainly on the West side.

Every now and then, you'd see somebody from the wire in Mosions, Samos, Hohfs, Cashland or even We-R-One if you paid close attention. But it was rare simply because they were so expensive. An average t - shirt like the one below could run you $40-$50. Hoodies like $100. That's why the dope boys loved Em and they made sweat suits to match foamposites and retro nikes back then. I always thought it was run by OG dope boys who had some bread. Examples below:

Then in '06 everyone got on the small shirt, true religion, seven jeans, Abercrombie American eagle and rockstar wave. By 08, an expensive Lacoste or polo shirt, seven jeans and foamposites, pumas, Nike boots or new balances was the standard look.

Sounds just like NY TBH but replace "Samos" and "Mosions" with different brands. 04 we might have still been rocking jersey i think that was the tail end of it tho i cant really remember exactly.

Starting my first re watch now.....Even better the second time....The nostalgia is almost equivalent to the artistry 

You can also buy a Prime membership, which is $100 for a year, stream "The Wire" in HD for free (through Prime), and have all the other perks of Amazon Prime.

So... $100 to have the Wire in stream quality "HD" for a year.

or

86$ to have The Wire in highest quality Blu Ray HD (Plus a digital version) for life.

or

86$ to have The Wire in highest quality Blu Ray HD (Plus a digital version) for life.

Or, $100 to have pretty much the entire HBO (and Cinemax) collection in HD at your fingertips. Along with tons of other shows and movies. But whatever.

or

what do you mean "HD". Its the same HD you'll get on blu ray. Its all upconverted anyway. 

I still remember watching the first episode of the wire back in 02'. I must have been around 12 I believe. The first episode was like nothing I had ever seen before, it was great television with BLACK characters, and it made quite an impression on me for a variety of reasons. I still remember The first time I tuned into season 2 episode 1, and I was so disappointed. I was so pissed that I never gave that season a chance staying loyal through season 5 but never having the curiosity to even go back and give it a look...Now that I am rewatching for the first time I feel so ignorant for that move. It's def close to the 4th season as far as my fav goes, just got through episode 6 the prologue.  Watching D's death on screen hit me, even knowing it happened from later seasons, especially with the depth of the Scott Fitzgerald and "how no matter how hard one tries our experiences carry with us" analysis and everything. 

Last edited:
"I'm just a gangsta I suppose"

I am just wondering your guys thoughts on when exactly String and Avon decided to turn on each other? I think it was when String told Avon he killed Deangelo.But for String, I don't know.

I am just wondering your guys thoughts on when exactly String and Avon decided to turn on each other? I think it was when String told Avon he killed Deangelo.But for String, I don't know.

There wasn't an exact moment. It was the culmination of a lot of things.

For String I think it was when he saw that Avon street mentality was gonna mess up his money. Avon was ready to regain his corners and String wasn't even about that anymore which tore them apart.

For String, I think it was after his attempts to make Avon see things his way about going straight and staying out of the street, not caring about his rep and little names on the come up.

I forget exactly when but w/e made Avon decide to really go hard against Marlow, String was like **** it I can't get dude to act right. He gonna ruin **** for me and my plans so let him go do another bid.

The best part about that is when String finds out his whole dealings with Davis is a con and then he wants to go back to his street roots and kill him :lol:

If only these dudes stuck together and remained loyal.

For Avon, killing D was when he was more willing to give String up but it wasn't decided yet, only when he was put in the situation where it was either get killed by Omar and especially Brother Mouzone that he was like he gotta do it.

Last edited:
String killed himself, Avon didn't give him up.
What are you talking about? :lol:

Avon let Mouzone and Omar know about String's building he owned downtown and what time he was going to be there. Remember at this time String was rolling with goons as bodyguards and he conveniently had none when he went there since nobody knew about it except a few select ppl.

That was the whole thematic conclusion that ended that season. Avon gave String up and String gave Avon up. String dies, Avon in prison for good.

What are you talking about? :lol:

Avon let Mouzone and Omar know about String's building he owned downtown and what time he was going to be there. Remember at this time String was rolling with goons as bodyguards and he conveniently had none when he went there since nobody knew about it except a few select ppl.

That was the whole thematic conclusion that ended that season. Avon gave String up and String gave Avon up. String dies, Avon in prison for good.

I think he meant String did himself in thru his actions, like setting Brother Mouzone and Omar up, etc.

Which in a way is true, Stringer did some foul ****.

Last edited:
That's only in the macro sense.

In the factual sense as in what we saw happen, Avon gave String up. It's pretty much there for all to see that if he didn't String doesn't die that way or by those two and maybe not at all.

The way I saw it, String did himself in by telling Avon's sensitive *** that he put the hit out on D. He should've just never told him. String made the mistake in thinking his bond with Avon was strong enough that he could tell him he made a decision that'd benefit both of them and Avon would understand despite that those actions would cause a family member to be sacrificed.

So Avon got a bit emotional off that and flipped it and saw things as only business when he got pressed by Omar and Mouzone. Going off his talk before String told him, Avon most likely dies without giving up String.

Back
Top Bottom