OFFICIAL THE WIRE THREAD.. ''The game is the game"

Just finished the series.....not gonna give any spoilers for those who might be watching it but Idk kind of disappointing I wasn't expecting that

Just finished the series.....not gonna give any spoilers for those who might be watching it but Idk kind of disappointing I wasn't expecting that

What were you expecting that made it so disappointing when you finished it?

My wife and I are watching the show again and right now we're rewatching the fourth season. We noticed there's a girl in Namond's class that looks just like a younger Snoop. She never says anything though but she does up in a lot of the classroom scenes. Does anybody know if that's Snoop's sister that Namond was taking about? He did say she was in his class

I have been watching the Wire for the fifth time. This time, I have been watching it with my mother. My mother speaks five languages and yet she needs me to act as an interpreter for a number of scenes. In some cases, it is as simple as translating from "jive" to Standard English. One of the best moments was when Chris and Snoop rolled up on Broadie's corner in Season 4. I rendered Snoop and Chris' declaration thus "Our boss, Marlo Stanfield, hopes to obtain your shop. May we propose a merger, management shall remain intact but your inventory and your security shall be subsumed to Stanfield Inc. If you do not consent, we shall be forced to enact a hostile takeover of your firm."

In most cases, the difficultly in understanding on the part pf my mother and my friends comes not from the translation of Ebonics to standard English. Rather, the difficulty comes from a lack of context on the part of the first time viewer. The local Baltimore terms, the police acronyms, the political acronyms and the general desire to mumble on the part of the people of Baltimore make the show hard to approach for many people.

In addition to all of these impediments, in order to enjoy The Wire, it is best that one be well versed in Greek Tragedy as well as the fine contours of American political and social forces. Even among folks with a good education, I can see how one would not be able to optimally enjoy the show unless one is steeped in the Classics, one is a policy wonk and one grew up with hip-hop and a basic knowledge of how the drug game operates.

On a side note, when I taught micro econ to freshmen, I invariably had to include Stringer Bell's Print and Copy Scene. If the distinction between elastic and inelastic demand was lost on my students, Idris Elba made sure to hammer home the point.

My wife and I are watching the show again and right now we're rewatching the fourth season. We noticed there's a girl in Namond's class that looks just like a younger Snoop. She never says anything though but she does up in a lot of the classroom scenes. Does anybody know if that's Snoop's sister that Namond was taking about? He did say she was in his class

You know, I've watched this series over and over again and always thought about her significance in that class. They showed her plenty of times and I knew it wasn't just for no reason. So I had a little theory:

Remember when Marlo found out that Randy was snitching to his principle about what happened to little Kevin? Well, he told Chris and Snoop to put it out there that he was telling, and I always thought "how the hell would they just go around talking to kids?" And then after a while it just clicked, Snoop more than likely said something to her sister about Randy and then her sister spread the rumor to all the kids at school. And then that was that.

It seems like such a small part of the story but it had a HUGE effect. Little stuff like that makes this show so dope :pimp:

What were you expecting that made it so disappointing when you finished it?

I didn't like the character development for Michael Lee. He became one of my favorite characters in the show but his back story was very small I felt they should've showed why and how he became the savage he was. Actually showing him being a kid having fun until making that dramatic change

I didn't like the character development for Michael Lee. He became one of my favorite characters in the show but his back story was very small I felt they should've showed why and how he became the savage he was. Actually showing him being a kid having fun until making that dramatic change

They did. The first 4 episodes or so of season four gave you an idea of who these kids were, as kids. But the whole point of that season was to demonstrate why those kids in those positions had to grow up fast.

-Michael had a drug addict mother, and his step father sexually abused him. Basically took care of his brother.

-Dookie's whole entire family wasn't ****

-Randy was in foster care and had a nice situation, until he got caught in between Marlo and his mess

-Namond had the best situation out of all of them, but his mother wanted him to be like his dad and he wasn't built like that

When you break it all down, none of them (with the exception of Namond, maybe) had the time to be kids. They were thrusted into that life on the street and had to adapt. Most of all Michael because of how he ended up getting involved with Marlo at the end. This young dude was killing people in middle school :x

They did. The first 4 episodes or so of season four gave you an idea of who these kids were, as kids. But the whole point of that season was to demonstrate why those kids in those positions had to grow up fast.

-Michael had a drug addict mother, and his step father sexually abused him. Basically took care of his brother.

-Dookie's whole entire family wasn't ****

-Randy was in foster care and had a nice situation, until he got caught in between Marlo and his mess

-Namond had the best situation out of all of them, but his mother wanted him to be like his dad and he wasn't built like that

When you break it all down, none of them (with the exception of Namond, maybe) had the time to be kids. They were thrusted into that life on the street and had to adapt. Most of all Michael because of how he ended up getting involved with Marlo at the end. This young dude was killing people in middle school :x

Your right I didn't think of it like that I felt season 5 was kinda rushed

You know, I've watched this series over and over again and always thought about her significance in that class. They showed her plenty of times and I knew it wasn't just for no reason. So I had a little theory:

Remember when Marlo found out that Randy was snitching to his principle about what happened to little Kevin? Well, he told Chris and Snoop to put it out there that he was telling, and I always thought "how the hell would they just go around talking to kids?" And then after a while it just clicked, Snoop more than likely said something to her sister about Randy and then her sister spread the rumor to all the kids at school. And then that was that.

It seems like such a small part of the story but it had a HUGE effect. Little stuff like that makes this show so dope :pimp:

:wow: I never even thought about that! It makes so much sense

Speaking of season 5 being rushed. I remember when it actually was airing somethin happened with the script being leaked does anyone know what really happened?

Maaaaan i love this show
Goat to me
The story telling
The characters
Just everything about it was so damn REAL

Just finished the series this week. Took me a month to complete.

I enjoyed each episode. I think season 2 was the worse and I cant really pick the best season imo.

For those that grew up in Bmore or in inner cities. Did this show do a good job portraying life in those environments?

I am a little tight at the way Omar went out lol 

For those that grew up in Bmore or in inner cities. Did this show do a good job portraying life in those environments?

Yes and no. They did a good job capturing the police system, schools and politicians, but they could've done a WAY better job of actually capturing the people and culture of in inner city Baltimore. Most people from Inner city Baltimore don't even watch the wire b/c they feel it only half represents us.

First off, People in Baltimore sound nothing like Webay, Avon, Marlo, Bodie, Namond, Michael, Randy, Chris, Cheese etc. We sound like Prop Joe, Snoop, Lor Kevin, Donut, Kenard and Fruit. The Main Street characters on the Wire have unapologetic NY accents. Like imagine a dude from Atl playing someone from BK, and making no effort to look or sound like an NY dude. The problem I have with urban films and TV...is outside of NY or Boston, there really is no effort to learn the local culture. Like you see actors learning a Boston or NY accent, but in 2015...TI with his southern accent can play a gangbabger from LA. It's like we're all the same regardless of geography and our respective culture. The Wardobe annoyed a lot of us too. Like street dudes in Baltimore aren't going around wearing durags, timbs, enyce, air forces and G-unit from 04-08. I mean, half the movies set in the hood in 2015 have people still dressing like this lol. It might seem little, but when you talk about authenticity, it's lacking in that department.

Other than that, they did a good job.

That Baltimore accent is heavy bruh. :lol:

Toooo

yuoooo

Hot dug instead of dog.

Exactly man.

If your from here, you can't escape it. Like it's very distinctive. We only realize it when we go outta town and people tell us we talk different.

All in all, they did a good job in capturing inner city life on the east coast, it just felt like it captured every city at times, and not particularly Baltimore.

Yes and no. They did a good job capturing the police system, schools and politicians, but they could've done a WAY better job of actually capturing the people and culture of in inner city Baltimore. Most people from Inner city Baltimore don't even watch the wire b/c they feel it only half represents us.

First off, People in Baltimore sound nothing like Webay, Avon, Marlo, Bodie, Namond, Michael, Randy, Chris, Cheese etc. We sound like Prop Joe, Snoop, Lor Kevin, Donut, Kenard and Fruit. The Main Street characters on the Wire have unapologetic NY accents. Like imagine a dude from Atl playing someone from BK, and making no effort to look or sound like an NY dude. The problem I have with urban films and TV...is outside of NY or Boston, there really is no effort to learn the local culture. Like you see actors learning a Boston or NY accent, but in 2015...TI with his southern accent can play a gangbabger from LA. It's like we're all the same regardless of geography and our respective culture. The Wardobe annoyed a lot of us too. Like street dudes in Baltimore aren't going around wearing durags, timbs, enyce, air forces and G-unit from 04-08. I mean, half the movies set in the hood in 2015 have people still dressing like this lol. It might seem little, but when you talk about authenticity, it's lacking in that department.

I agree with a lot of the points you made.

I went to college, NCAT, with a good amount of ppl from Bmore and DMV area so I know excatly what you mean about the accents. Prop Joe, Snoop, and Spyder all had the authentic accents.

and the wardrobes.. LMAO.. They could have done a lot better with that. 

Omar irked the living **** outta me when he tried to throw the Bmore accent in there, sounded so forced.

Back
Top Bottom