OFFICIAL THE WIRE THREAD.. ''The game is the game"

I feel like the last season progressed slowly, then in the last couple episodes, rushed through everyone's individual story. Still loved it though.

Budget for the last season only allowed for 10 episodes, which definitely contributed to the perception it was rushed...which I also felt it was. It's probably my least favorite season mainly because of that, but also of some other things such as Omar living after diving head-first out of Monk's balcony, living to tell about it, and successfully wages guerilla war against the Stansfield organization :lol:

Also, regarding the kids I wonder if some of you saw some parallels to their stories with some of the established characters as I did:

Kennard - WeeBay / Chris: Just cold blooded with a killer's mentality...starting with lighting cats on fire to blasting Omar.

Michael - Omar: He robs drug dealers, but he's heterosexual.

Randy - Cheese: The series of unfortunate events he went through could have young Randy be a clone of his absentee father. A hustler, toughened by the system, but having snitching/betraying tendencies.

Dookie - Bubbles

Naymond - Sgt. Carver: Remember, Carver grew up on the eastside of B-More. Maybe under the Colvins' upbringing, Naymond has a future in law enforcement?

Last edited:
I hated the focus on the journalists. Now that was a struggle. Just not good imo. People talk about S2 for w/e reason but the focus on the journalists on S5 almost tanked the season
Also, regarding the kids I wonder if some of you saw some parallels to their stories with some of the established characters as I did:

Kennard - WeeBay / Chris: Just cold blooded with a killer's mentality...starting with lighting cats on fire to blasting Omar.

Michael - Omar: He robs drug dealers, but he's heterosexual.

Randy - Cheese: The series of unfortunate events he went through could have young Randy be a clone of his absentee father. A hustler, toughened by the system, but having snitching/betraying tendencies.

Dookie - Bubbles

Naymond - Sgt. Carver: Remember, Carver grew up on the eastside of B-More. Maybe under the Colvins' upbringing, Naymond has a future in law enforcement?

Nice parallel with Randy and Cheese but I dunno there's a chance he really learns from the whole snitching thing. He might become the next D'Angelo.

That little bastard Kennard would've definitely ended up doing a life bid.

The rest was pretty obvious except for Namond. Colvin said he wanted something better for him, that he could actually be somebody and get out of Bmore. He don't strike me as a cop type. Maybe a lawyer.

Last edited:
I hated the focus on the journalists. Now that was a struggle. Just not good imo. People talk about S2 for w/e reason but the focus on the journalists on S5 almost tanked the season
Nice parallel with Randy and Cheese but I dunno there's a chance he really learns from the whole snitching thing. He might become the next D'Angelo.

The rest was pretty obvious except for Namond. Colvin said he wanted something better for him, that he could actually be somebody and get out of Bmore. He don't strike me as a cop type. Maybe a lawyer..

Good point. I tend to agree with you, I think D'Angelo is a better parallel than Cheese.

The rest was pretty obvious except for Namond. Colvin said he wanted something better for him, that he could actually be somebody and get out of Bmore. He don't strike me as a cop type. Maybe a lawyer..
Good point. I tend to agree with you, I think D'Angelo is a better parallel than Cheese.
i don't try to make it any parallel with randy

i just see randy as a kid who got lost in the system--

though smart and capable, he ends up as a product of his environment.

namond is the opposite, he's the story of a kid making it.

had comparable characteristics to randy, but just dealt a better hand.

also on weebey, that's the reality of life.

he was a great character and he almost always stole the scene.

but the only thing guaranteed about life in the game is that it'll end when you don't expect it. 

sure i wish he was more prominent in the story, but his character was delivered accurately IMO

yea the focus on the journalist was wack but seeing how they covered all parts, I respect it.

Definitely the least favorable aspect of the Wire

I enjoyed moments of it, but it felt rushed and squeezed in.

I think it had potential if it was covered over a longer period time

Last edited:
i don't try to make it any parallel with randy

i just see randy as a kid who got lost in the system--
though smart and capable, he ends up as a product of his environment.

namond is the opposite, he's the story of a kid making it.
had comparable characteristics to randy, but just dealt a better hand.

also on weebey, that's the reality of life.
he was a great character and he almost always stole the scene.
but the only thing guaranteed about life in the game is that it'll end when you don't expect it. 
sure i wish he was more prominent in the story, but his character was delivered accurately IMO

I liked Bey's character as well. As bad of a person as he is, he partially redeemed himself when he let Namond go, basically saving his son's life.

Your statement that I bolded is what I thought after they killed off Omar.

I'll try to find it, but I read somewhere that David Simon planned for the 6th season of the Wire to focus on the influx of Latinos in Baltimore and how this would have affected the city especially the street. Too bad, that would've been a much better way to end the series.

Edit:
I think this is the article I read

It's a good one, and I guess someone really did dive out of a 6th story window in a shootout :lol:

Last edited:

I'll try to find it, but I read somewhere that David Simon planned for the 6th season of the Wire to focus on the influx of Latinos in Baltimore and how this would have affected the city especially the street. Too bad, that would've been a much better way to end the series.

Edit:
I think this is the article I read

It's a good one, and I guess someone really did dive out of a 6th story window in a shootout
laugh.gif
Yeah I'm reading now how they thought about going with that theme (immigration) but between the long delay of renewal's with HBO kinda threw them off.

Also noted had they went that route, it would have started Season 4 and developed moving forward

Makes sense, Season 5's new themes just didnt have enough time to develop into something worthwhile.

Good read though overall

- Walan, who supports Bubbles in NA, sings the theme song for Season 5, and also sang the end of season 2 montage "I Feel Alright"

- On Frank Sobotka's dartboard is Bob Irsay, then-owner of the Colts, who moved the Colts from Baltimore to Indianapolis in the 1960's.

- No officer in the Wire is seen shooting their weapon, except for Prez.

- Dominic West, who played McNulty, almost didn't take the job, but his agent convinced him the series would only last for one season.

- D'Angelo forecasts his own death when he says he "can't breathe" with his life of crime. He was later strangled.

- Dominic West, who played McNulty, almost didn't take the job, but his agent convinced him the series would only last for one season. :smh:

Last edited:

Colvin would probably talk Naymond out of being a cop.

Gerard and Sapper were underrated characters, they provided many laughs. :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom