Official Stock Market & Economy Thread

I am starting to think that buying into the banks might be a good idea. Has the gov not pretty much come out and said they will throw as much money at themthat it takes to save them?

All the balance sheets and financial indicators point to shorting banks, i agree. But....i am torn on the topic.

Originally Posted by keiththekid1

I am starting to think that buying into the banks might be a good idea. Has the gov not pretty much come out and said they will throw as much money at them that it takes to save them?

All the balance sheets and financial indicators point to shorting banks, i agree. But....i am torn on the topic.
When retail investors start getting in, that usually signals close to a top.

We may have a bit more to run but I'm being serious with the above assertion.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

I am starting to think that buying into the banks might be a good idea. Has the gov not pretty much come out and said they will throw as much money at them
that it takes to save them?

but how many retail investors are short? based on what i see in this thread, it seems everybody is short.

Originally Posted by CuriousGeorg3

I am starting to think that buying into the banks might be a good idea. Has the gov not pretty much come out and said they will throw as much money at them

but how many retail investors are short? based on what i see in this thread, it seems everybody is short.

idk who's short or who isn't. I'm not but when when you see retail investors clamoring to go long than that usually signals a top is near in theshort term.

Originally Posted by NostrandAve68

Christ DOW is closing in on +500 mark insane.

Yea I was shocked to see them react to Geithner's plan like that (short lived, but hey it's something)
pimp.gif

idk who's short or who isn't. I'm not but when when you see retail investors clamoring to go long than that usually signals a top is near in the short term.

On this board, most of the retail investors are short and are predicting the end of the world as we know it. Just look at all the posts on buying gold.

Classic buy high and sell(short) low.

I'm surprised the DOW had such an accepting mentality on this "plan".

When I read the CNN headline, I figured:

1) Gold goes up
2) Dollar gets ished on
3) Dow does ok, not great, not bad
4) Bank (i-banks) +

Now lets see what tomorrow brings.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

I'm surprised the DOW had such an accepting mentality on this "plan".

When I read the CNN headline, I figured:

1) Gold goes up
2) Dollar gets ished on
3) Dow does ok, not great, not bad
4) Bank (i-banks) +

Now lets see what tomorrow brings.
Tomorrow will probably be also a leftover rally, all depends on how some world markets perform. I say DOW will close up about 90-150pts.

Also this rally wasn't all reaction to Geithner's plan, it was also response to home sales increasing last month which is a good sign for thestabilization of the real estate market.

wheres DKY been? last time i saw him he was shorting GS again and talking up the gloom and doom , hes been way off lately

wheres DKY been? last time i saw him he was shorting GS again and talking up the gloom and doom , hes been way off lately
You sound surprised... why?
laugh.gif
Your acting as if DKY is someexpert trader, especially he's in the business of shorting, that's one the most complicated aspects of the stock market and it becomes even morecomplex when you have a volatile market. I will say that I do take some of his advice seriously but with anything you have to apply your own judgment and doyour own research.

Posted in the wrong thread earlier, but any new infos on GS and why they're doing better than predicted?? Any opinions on whether or not I should stillshort sell??

Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

I don't know but based on what reigndrop's statement:
My computer might be playing tricks on me, but checking futures before I head off to bed, we're down 91 points
eek.gif
Tomorrow will be quite they day. Especially with many derivatives expiring.

Okay maybe not, only down 54, but still tomorrow will very fun to watch
Seems like something bad (for the markets) might go down tomorrow--literally speaking...

If that's the case, I welcome it cause I need to recoup my losses in FAZ, SRS, and RFN...

I said this on Thursday talking about Friday, which to an extent turned out true, since financials got murked.

Seems like the PPT was in full action today trying to fire up this rally. Each time I saw a tip off point and selling, there was immediate buying action. I'm not disregarding institutional investors or anything, it just looked very fishy. As for all of you guys discounting DKY, rest assured his statementswill come true, sometime in the next 3-4 months, he was WAYYY early on that call. In the meantime, there will be a bear market rally, tread carefully, and aswawaweewa has said, don't overstay your welcome.

Originally Posted by cguy610

idk who's short or who isn't. I'm not but when when you see retail investors clamoring to go long than that usually signals a top is near in the short term.

On this board, most of the retail investors are short and are predicting the end of the world as we know it. Just look at all the posts on buying gold.

Classic buy high and sell(short) low.

It will come, patience with everything.

If it doesn't come, we will go up NOMINALLY, through printed dollars, and in that case, nothing is better off than gold and commodities, while in theprocess destroy everybody's savings.

And I when I mean doomed, I don't mean a fallen government and that NWO bs, just a stock market that has fallen off a cliff and has destroyedeverybody's retirement funds.

Originally Posted by shch

Posted in the wrong thread earlier, but any new infos on GS and why they're doing better than predicted?? Any opinions on whether or not I should still short sell??
Goldman has and will always manipulate their share price. They're doing better because of this "toxic asset plan." Don't goagainst the wave, go with it, don't short. BTW, it just broke out if it's channel to the upside.

So reigndrop, you don't believe this to be real, correct?

I'm a novice in all this, but it astonishes me how the market is buying on every single piece of news. No news is bad news right now, even if it isinherently bad. Positive spin is being placed on everything.

I regrettably bought FAZ at $25 this afternoon. That's twice now that I've been hosed.

I'm going long tomorrow, and hopefully can make some money on this stupid rally.

There's arbitrage on news though, that's partially why you see moves being made on both positive and negative, regardless of the substance.

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

So reigndrop, you don't believe this to be real, correct?

I'm a novice in all this, but it astonishes me how the market is buying on every single piece of news. No news is bad news right now, even if it is inherently bad. Positive spin is being placed on everything.

I regrettably bought FAZ at $25 this afternoon. That's twice now that I've been hosed.

I'm going long tomorrow, and hopefully can make some money on this stupid rally.
Who knows? I'm no day trader, and yes it isn't real. But we don't know what else the government has in store for us, maybe the wantto inflate the markets back up or drop it again, I'm not going to call it, but the long term idea is the same, we will go down, unless they have alreadyset a nominal bottom.

In addition, we already knew about the basics about toxic asset plan. Why was the announcement today greeted with such joy from the same group who hated itlast week?

The markets have never been propped up/manipulated to this extent.
I'm pretty sure what happened was the banks got what they wanted finally with today's toxic asset plan which creates a vehicle for the taxpayer toassume upwards of 90% of the risk holding these garbage assets and the banks in turn gave the feds what they wanted; higher equity prices for public relations.

However, like many are mentioning, do not try to fight the FED on this. It's pointless. If they want to drive the market up, let 'em do it. It'sgoing to crash again anyway. They are just buying time at this point.

there was a correction on gold today hopefully it drops more. copped a krugerrand for 900 today! gonna try to get more at this price

Back
Top Bottom