OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

Originally Posted by andycrazn

well said kicksfiend. when lilchico says to "look" at stock xyz some people would probably misunderstood that as a buy xyz and probably lost some money doing so. like i read a couple of posts on zecco how this one dude lost around 30k because everyone told him to get on a etf and i think it was FAZ or FAS but dude lost alot of money because he didnt know what he was doing and just went by other peoples assumptions.

i started to get into stocks about a year ago and i suffered a years worth of losses and i just recently started profiting on it. greed got the best of me followed by fear and because of it, huge losses occurred. if you guys cant handle losses, especially huge ones. i suggest you guys go a safer route or invest for the long term.
Wow. if you don't mind me asking how much did you lose?

Originally Posted by NikeFlightposite

well said kicksfiend. when lilchico says to "look" at stock xyz some people would probably misunderstood that as a buy xyz and probably lost some money doing so. like i read a couple of posts on zecco how this one dude lost around 30k because everyone told him to get on a etf and i think it was FAZ or FAS but dude lost alot of money because he didnt know what he was doing and just went by other peoples assumptions.

i started to get into stocks about a year ago and i suffered a years worth of losses and i just recently started profiting on it. greed got the best of me followed by fear and because of it, huge losses occurred. if you guys cant handle losses, especially huge ones. i suggest you guys go a safer route or invest for the long term.
Wow. if you don't mind me asking how much did you lose?
a few thousand. its alot to me considering i have no stable income coming in and im a college student. the reasons why i lost was because of a fewreasons. i wanted to invest and not trade at the time before the whole economic crisis. so i wanted to invest for the long haul. it all back fired on me. so istarted becoming a trader. majority of my picks were good, but once i seen that there was a 20-40% increase, greed got ahold of me and i started thinking longterm again. a part of me wanted to take the profit and get out, but it was the greed that made me stay. once it dropped i wanted to leave but my greedy sidekept thinking it was gonna go up again. greed eventually turned to fear when it dropped below 50%. it was an expensive lesson but it taught me alot. imthinking that if i started getting into stocks later in life with more money, i wouldve probably made the same mistakes that i did now but alot worse.

Oh man, I can't believe I missed SVNT. It popped up on my radar the other day. oh well...

Watch CRXX also fellas...

Here is a pretty safe play...ETFC

Please do not just buy these when I say to watch them. Do your own DD and wait for a dip then buy in.

was bound to happen. thats why i said spng is going to either drop on friday or monday i just didnt know how strong it was.

it looks like the sellers pushed the price down.

Yeah SPNG had it coming. Everything on the charts is too high. Of course folks are going to take profit that have been riding it for a while.

Maybe not too quick though
laugh.gif

Any thoughts on it bouncing back?

went down all the way to .008 today....

not a bad company really, the financials are decent and they are actually making money. Costco is about to sell their products so i hope it gets a bump.

truth. hopefully people aren't relying on this board to make them money, gotta do your own research and figure it out. i lost about 60% of myportfolio at the end of last year and beginning of this year and am slowly making my money back. it's tough, especially the way the market is beingmanipulated daily, but im sure ill be back. im just glad i dont have all my money in the market.

i personally broke even on FAZ and FAS. I want to get back into FAZ, thinking the market will go back down, but I think I'm done with those horses.

Originally Posted by iEternalv

truth. hopefully people aren't relying on this board to make them money, gotta do your own research and figure it out. i lost about 60% of my portfolio at the end of last year and beginning of this year and am slowly making my money back. it's tough, especially the way the market is being manipulated daily, but im sure ill be back. im just glad i dont have all my money in the market.

i personally broke even on FAZ and FAS. I want to get back into FAZ, thinking the market will go back down, but I think I'm done with those horses.
i think etfs are done for. the gains on it arent worth the risk anymore. look at FAZ, they only gained a few cents here and there and lost a fewcents as well. well its understandable why majority of people that held in 08 lost and how greed and fear made us lose even more. but its cool though cause allthis taught me alot.

Originally Posted by kicksfiend

I think in the next couple of days I'll put up some posts about getting into investing/trading.
This would be greatly appreciate and I agree with your post. People get into big trouble by just listening to tips. I'll be checking foryour posts. If you could tell us some things you look for in your picks rather then just post your picks that would be
pimp.gif
. Like that old proverb, give a guy some fish you provide him with dinner. Teach him how to fish and you provide him with dinner for life.

IMO, FAS and FAZ are done. I don't even mess with them anymore. They're not as volatile as they used to be. Even if you do decide to play them, DO NOThold these overnight. They're just good for trading. I lost $$$ on FAZ when I first got in and will never make that mistake of holding these overnight.

ok andre if you want advice on picking stocks. be prepared to read these.

http://investopedia.com/articles/fundamental-analysis/09/value-investing.asp

if you have an etrade account. watch the market guys technical analysis 101 or read this:

http://www.investopedia.com/university/technical/default.asp

there are some other good articles but i think these would do for now. note: if you focus on one factor of a company it will give you an idea how itsperforming but not the whole picture. so you have to combine technical analysis with fundamental analysis. doing so would decrease risk and give you a clearerpicture on where the stock is heading for the short or long term. there are some other ones but these will do for now.

Did anyone get in spng on the drop to .075? I was kinda listening to advice people in another forum where saying during the drop. I hesitated to drop some cashin spng at .08 cause of there advice of waiting for it to settle at a safe price on the up.

the longer you wait to get in after a drop, the less risk and less profit there is. heres a chart of what i mean taken from investopedia

Panic2.gif

Notice that a variety of indicators are used to confirm that the trend has changed. As a trader, you may choose how many confirmation indicators you wish to use. The fewer confirmation indicators used, the higher the risk and the higher the reward (in the sense that, the longer you wait for confirmation, the less potential gain there will be for you to capture), and vice versa.

The rules to using the ESM are as follows:
  1. The stock price must first rapidly decline on high volume.
  2. A volume spike will occur, creating a new low, and appear to reverse the trend. Look for candlestick patterns showing a struggle between buyers and sellers here (i.e. cross patterns or engulfings).
  3. A higher low wave must occur.
  4. A break of the predominant downward trendline must occur.
  5. The 40 and/or 50-day moving averages must be broken.
  6. The 40 and/or 50-day moving average must then be retested and hold.
Note that you may use other moving averages - ideally, ones that connects highs or lows. Typically, a break of a larger moving average is more indicative of a trend break than smaller moving averages.

As you can see, the ESM combines several techniques to ensure that the trend has changed for the long term.

ok andre if you want advice on picking stocks. be prepared to read these.

http://investopedia.com/a...s/09/value-investing.asp

if you have an etrade account. watch the market guys technical analysis 101 or read this:

http://www.investopedia.c...ty/technical/default.asp

there are some other good articles but i think these would do for now. note: if you focus on one factor of a company it will give you an idea how its performing but not the whole picture. so you have to combine technical analysis with fundamental analysis. doing so would decrease risk and give you a clearer picture on where the stock is heading for the short or long term. there are some other ones but these will do for now.

Excellent stuff man. Same with the chart below and the detailed breakdown. I'm gonna get at some of those articles this weekend and look at some plays.

Where do you guys find some of your picks? I mean some of these companies (actually most of the ones I see on here) I have never even heard of. Are youlooking at stock forums and finding some of these?

Back
Top Bottom