:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

Is this leather part on my Jordan IV Rare airs thats cracking repairable in some way? Or atleast make it less noticeable? Appreciate the help:

You know what? I did about 3 midsole restorations for the III's and not once did I consider painting the entire midsole white then putting the color on top of it. Not bad. And with the angelus liquid, get the shiny finish, dab a little on a cotton ball and slowly go around the midsole.

Yeah, funny you mention that. I did this becuase when I was removing the paint as I scratched it away I saw that under the factory fire red was white, and I have heard that painting over a base coat of white helps the over layer of colour bond and kind of look better than just slapping it onto the midsole directly.

With the matte finish, I think before i do my next shoes I will mix the matte finish in with whatever i am painting with, I saw someone say when younbuy the angelus duller you need to mix it with whatever you're applying. I dont know though.

The duller is to make any glossy paint look matte without painting over it. The acrylic finisher is to coat the angelus paint for protection. 

The duller is to make any glossy paint look matte without painting over it. The acrylic finisher is to coat the angelus paint for protection. 

Oh ok, its just i've brushed this matte finisher on and iTs not looking any less glossy after drying.

can someone give me tips on how to restore
chipped midsoles
yellowed soles
heel tabs on the 3's

Alot of cracking going on, on the bottom of my Mars Blackmon's. Wondering what I can do to repair that? I've read something about angelus paint, just wondering if I can get a quick cliff note/step-step of how to fix these. Thanks

Also, Wondering whats the best way to store sneakers? Especially one's with clear bottoms to prevent yellowing.

Copped some Jasson Markk and it does very well with stains/dirt. Got a white paint smudge off some blk/gold patent 1's

Got the white residue from the water repellent off of my BCIV's.. They literally turned grey... Optimusp517 suggested Jason Markk and it cleared right up.. Posting this in case anyone else runs into that problem

can someone give me tips on how to restore
chipped midsoles
yellowed soles
heel tabs on the 3's

Depending on how bad the cracking. Strip the midsole of its paint and get angelus paint and paint the midsoles as before. As for heel tabs, also depending on what your issue with then is. I know my FR3's as pictured above have a little yellowing on the tabs, so I could have repainted then white but it wasn't bothering me.

Yellow soles I will leave to someone else to help you, but im sure it's been mentioned in this thread before

^never used e6000 before, just barge cement. I believe both are the same strength and will help with the midsole separation on xi's. my snakeskin xi's had this same issue when I purchased them off eBay. They were used and I was aware they were "projects". But for $50 you just can't beat that. Either glue will work. Just use a clamp to secure the areas after gluing. If no clamp is available, use some extra shoe strings. Glue the areas and tie them tight to secure the position. Leave them to dry for a day or two.

Can I really do it on the spots and not seperate the whole thing?

Barge Cement.

Separate the entire sole, reglue it on with barge cement. You'll be good for life.

Ok, barge cement. BUT, clear barge cement or regular? I heard regular barge cement turns brown after a while. Do I really have to seperate the entire thing? It only seperated on a small spot, that might be a drastic move.

You know what? I did about 3 midsole restorations for the III's and not once did I consider painting the entire midsole white then putting the color on top of it. Not bad. And with the angelus liquid, get the shiny finish, dab a little on a cotton ball and slowly go around the midsole.

Yeah, funny you mention that. I did this becuase when I was removing the paint as I scratched it away I saw that under the factory fire red was white, and I have heard that painting over a base coat of white helps the over layer of colour bond and kind of look better than just slapping it onto the midsole directly.

With the matte finish, I think before i do my next shoes I will mix the matte finish in with whatever i am painting with, I saw someone say when younbuy the angelus duller you need to mix it with whatever you're applying. I dont know though.

You are making me want to redo my '03 cements again with that base.

Can I really do it on the spots and not seperate the whole thing?
Ok, barge cement. BUT, clear barge cement or regular? I heard regular barge cement turns brown after a while. Do I really have to seperate the entire thing? It only seperated on a small spot, that might be a drastic move.

It's a lot easier to separate the whole thing. Separation will keep occurring in different spots without it.

EDIT: I have only used BC on a pair of 06 militaries. S I couldn't tell you about color

Last edited:
Going to start a jordan 7 Olympic (2004) restoration soon. Pics later tonight.

Last edited:
^ you should just buy a pair of xi I.e.'s for a sole swap. The shoe looks good so it would be a waste not to do anything with them. Just find a pair in the white/ argon blue/ zen grey colorway from '03. That's what I used on my sole swap of my og Concords.
-beh235, you can either remove the soles and reglue or just glue the areas where the separation has occurred. If the soles are solid, just do the gluing in the areas only. I did this approach on my snakeskins and haven't had issues since. If the spot glue job doesn't hold, then do the midsole reglue.

^ you should just buy a pair of xi I.e.'s for a sole swap. The shoe looks good so it would be a waste not to do anything with them. Just find a pair in the white/ argon blue/ zen grey colorway from '03. That's what I used on my sole swap of my og Concords.
-beh235, you can either remove the soles and reglue or just glue the areas where the separation has occurred. If the soles are solid, just do the gluing in the areas only. I did this approach on my snakeskins and haven't had issues since. If the spot glue job doesn't hold, then do the midsole reglue.

The bottoms of those are blue.

These aren't done but I already released the pic on instagram and my facebook so it's only fair. They still need touchups, more coats of green and red on the lining and nike check but I couldn't hold it in any longer and had to share....

The base shoe was a 2003 flightposite 3 (the old kevin garnetts). Some people might be upset the customer used this shoe as a base as there were only about 2,800 made but he got them pretty cheap as they were pretty worn/beaten. So to answer your question, know I did not do this to a brand new shoe, it was probably a 6/10 condition.

no one likes :frown:

Have you tried to retrobrite yet? Quote:
no one likes
frown.gif
They're dope. The Nurf custom is great. there are some things that could be improved on.  I would just tone down on the speckles. Some are a bit big.There also doesnt seem to be enough black in the middle of the two colors. Overall, the colors match nicely

glockwork i just dont care for that shoe in general but the work is good and cool, i personally would like a more gradual shift between colors but its very nice

1998 Black and Red 13's Restoration update: I combed the suede fraying, decreased the toe box, cleaned the 3m mesh, bottom sole and the red suede, reglued the midsole to the upper, and reglued the bottom sole to the midsole.

As you can see, the previous owner tried to reglue the soles himself and failed. Glad I could get my hands on a pair of the original 13's to see the quality before they retro them next here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom