Official San Francisco 49ers Off-Season Thread (5-7): Let's get ready for the Draft!

laugh.gif
at trying to get TJ... I cant wait to see Hill start the season... I really havent heard or seen anything bad about him so far
pimp.gif

My P. Willis rookie jersey should be coming in soon also
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

tavaris jackson?...uhmm no...but id like to have aaron rodgers instead
pimp.gif
...oh wait we picked up alex smith as the 1st pick
sick.gif
here you go. for the lulz
Midway through his junior season at Cal, he seemed to be the odds-on favorite in many NFL quarters. But Smith's rise and a litany of questions about Rodgers' mechanics and pedigree (some executives were already wary of Jeff Tedford quarterbacks) began to create cracks in an otherwise superb résumé. It didn't help that negative stories began to leak out about Rodgers coming off as arrogant or cocky in some interview sessions. Even McCarthy noted the perception while he was serving as an offensive coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers and helping to hash out the Smith vs. Rodgers debate.

In spite of seeing what he now calls "maybe the best workout I've seen live," McCarthy said the mental makeup of Rodgers and Smith became one of the overriding factors in the 49ers' decision making.

"That was a concern for both of them - which one of these guys can handle being a No. 1 pick in the NFL draft?" McCarthy said. "There was a lot of conversation about that. … [Former 49ers coach] Mike Nolan and I, we got into a conversation and he says to me, 'OK, Rodgers is not a western [Pennsylvania] kid. He's a northern California kid. I know you can't relate to that.' We had a lot of conversations about that. But you know, the arm and talent was always there."

http://sports.yahoo.com/n...;prov=yhoo&type=lgns

roll.gif

coaches had a problem with him being from Chico, CA
laugh.gif

i knew i read somewhere once before that Nolan had issues with him not being a yes-man... but really?!
laugh.gif

The Oakland Raiders' offense did not have a bad practice session versus the San Francisco 49ers. They were abysmal!

San Francisco's pass defense toyed with the Raider offense; including five interceptions, four during run throughs in the red-zone and three of them that were picked off from JaMarcus Russell.

His response, "It's not the end of the world. If it is, then show me."

We all know by now how laid back the cannon armed passer can be. So this just may be how he emotes after a lackadaisical effort during practice. Russell may not let this affect him in the long run. But showing a little frustration and letting his teammates know that that was not an acceptable performance is something we should see out of the guy pegged to lead this team.

S&B journalist DeMarcus Davis said of the embarrassing practive, "All the Raiders could do was hold their heads down in shame. NOT ONE RAIDER got in the face of their tormentors. They would just walk back to the huddle and limp to another play. It was pathetic."

That's when Russell needs to show leadership. That's when he has to gather his troops and stop the bleeding. So far, we have not seen signs of this and eventually, he'll have to show some more fire if this team is going to turn the corner and avoid a seventh straight 11+ loss season.

Even his opponents see the immaturity. Cornerback Dre Bly stated, "He's kind of young. He's kind of learning to be a leader. I didn't notice anyone stepping up and saying, 'this is enough."

What should be troubling to Russell is how his teammate Jeff Garcia is showing more fire. It was the former 49er that huddled the team and gave them words of motivation.

"[Garcia] brought the guys up," Russell said. "You can see some of the guys haven't been in that situation to where a guy jumping on them like that. It's the big leagues. You going to get that. You never know who it's going to come from. You can have a kid in there say a few words but Jeff is a guy that's been in the NFL for quite some years. I think a lot of the young guys will take heed to that."

Yes JaMarcus…

Learn from that, because if you don't, Garcia will take your job. He is not there to baby-sit you. He may teach how to be a leader, - if that's something you can learn - but he'll do it knowing that he may be the best quarterback on the roster and deserving of the job if Russell cannot show progress.
Link
grin.gif

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by yonex mp 88

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

tavaris jackson?...uhmm no...but id like to have aaron rodgers instead
pimp.gif
...oh wait we picked up alex smith as the 1st pick
sick.gif
here you go. for the lulz
Midway through his junior season at Cal, he seemed to be the odds-on favorite in many NFL quarters. But Smith's rise and a litany of questions about Rodgers' mechanics and pedigree (some executives were already wary of Jeff Tedford quarterbacks) began to create cracks in an otherwise superb résumé. It didn't help that negative stories began to leak out about Rodgers coming off as arrogant or cocky in some interview sessions. Even McCarthy noted the perception while he was serving as an offensive coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers and helping to hash out the Smith vs. Rodgers debate.

In spite of seeing what he now calls "maybe the best workout I've seen live," McCarthy said the mental makeup of Rodgers and Smith became one of the overriding factors in the 49ers' decision making.

"That was a concern for both of them - which one of these guys can handle being a No. 1 pick in the NFL draft?" McCarthy said. "There was a lot of conversation about that. … [Former 49ers coach] Mike Nolan and I, we got into a conversation and he says to me, 'OK, Rodgers is not a western [Pennsylvania] kid. He's a northern California kid. I know you can't relate to that.' We had a lot of conversations about that. But you know, the arm and talent was always there."
http://sports.yahoo.com/n...;prov=yhoo&type=lgns

roll.gif

coaches had a problem with him being from Chico, CA
laugh.gif

i knew i read somewhere once before that Nolan had issues with him not being a yes-man... but really?!
laugh.gif

wow............never knew that...nolans an idiot

It did not take long for Eric Green to find new work. Hours after the veteran cornerback had his contract terminated by the Miami Dolphins, he agreed to terms on a one-year contract with the San Francisco 49ers, a league source said.

Green has familiarity with the Niners having played iin Arizona previously, and the belief is he will have an opportunity to make the team. San Francisco already added veteran Dre Bly after losing Walt Harris for the season.

Michael Crabtree might not rate too high with San Francisco 49ers fans right now, but that's not stopping the masses from putting his name and No. 15 on their backs.

-michael-crabtree7.jpg
APMichael Crabtree

As the first-round draft pick's contract impasse goes into its fourth week, his jersey is one of the hottest sellers out there. Crabtree jersey sales ranked eighth in the league from April 1 to Aug. 7. Considering he wasn't drafted until April 25 and jerseys didn't go into production until after that, Crabtree jerseys have been moving fast. We'll see how sales go in the next quarter, however, if the 49ers still struggle to get him to put his name on the dotted line.

The only rookie with more jersey sales was New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez, who checked in at No. 5. The No. 1 overall pick, Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford, is nowhere to be found in the top 25, not even with the new jerseys the franchise rolled out. Hey, it's Detroit.

Not surprisingly, Chicago quarterback Jay Cutler topped the list. He was traded from Denver on April 2. Don't be surprised if a couple of other quarterbacks not in the top 25 vault into the top 10 next time. Purple Brett Favre jerseys are a hot fall item already, and Michael Vick jerseys have been selling in Philadelphia.

laugh.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by LB510

Originally Posted by bright nikes

Originally Posted by BEAST MODE

MattMaiocco Pass-rush drill...caught glimpse of Manny Lawson getting nowhere vs. Raiders OT Seth Wand.

smh.gif

If this is true
tired.gif
. Who the +%%@ is Seth Wand?
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif

some bum from the texans, he was one of the dudes that let david carr get hit on almost every pass play

Originally Posted by DontStepOnMyShoes

MattMaiocco Pass-rush drill...caught glimpse of Manny Lawson getting nowhere vs. Raiders OT Seth Wand.

smh.gif

If this is true
tired.gif
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif

some bum from the texans, he was one of the dudes that let david carr get hit on almost every pass play

smh.gif
Thats a sad case for Lawson.. Get a veteran or somebody to help this kid...

[h1]Niners scoop up Eric Green[/h1]
Posted by Mike Florio on August 19, 2009 10:29 PM ET
On the same day that the Dolphins cut cornerback Eric Green, the four-year veteran returned to the division from whence he came.

Per Brad Biggs of NFP, Green agreed to terms with the 49ers. Biggs reports that the Bears also inquired about Green.

Because Green has four years of service, he was not required to pass through waivers.

Green spent four years with the Cardinals before signing with Miami in March. He'll keep any signing bonus and/or previously-paid roster bonuses.

Green appeared in 13 games for the Cardinals last season, starting nine. Rookie Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie thereafter supplanted Green in November.

And a rookie bounced Green for a second straight year, albeit more decisively this time around. Per Edgar Thompson of the Palm Beach Post, cornerback Sean Smith vaulted into the starting lineup during the second week of camp, and Green was sent to the bench -- not long before being sent packing.

Originally Posted by xDOEBOIx

Originally Posted by DontStepOnMyShoes

smh.gif

If this is true
tired.gif
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif

smh.gif
Thats a sad case for Lawson.. Get a veteran or somebody to help this kid...

i really hope manny gets back into form like he did before he got hurt
frown.gif

Back
Top Bottom