Official San Francisco 49ers Off-Season Thread (5-7): Let's get ready for the Draft!

Originally Posted by dland24

^
smh.gif

Since when has Michael Crabtree demanded "top 10 money?" If his demand was "top 10 money" he would have been signed already. Probably right when negotiations started. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Go post in the Raider thread.
eyes.gif
laugh.gif

92 just stay in the Radier thread already because you clearly have no clue about anything 49er related.

Originally Posted by Andrew630

Hill is going to get the start, I think I saw enough from the two throws that he made last night. Besides the sack he took, he looked so much more poised when delivering those two passes to VD. Smith is too hesitant; his own conscious is bringing an extra defender and it makes him think twice before throwing the ball. Hill might not look pretty like Tom Brady and he might not have an arm like Brees, but he is a gamer. It's pretty unfair for me to make a judgment after one preseason game, but being an Smith-supporter, it was enough to make me come to a realization. Smith-haters still need to understand that he was never put into an ideal situation when he was starting for the 49ers. Well, it's too little too late now, and I just want to see us winning football games!
I'm glad you've seen the light. The funny thing is, I was pleasantly surprised by Smith's tight spiral passes, and overallperformance. I really think he is starting QB material, but not for us, at least not now. Hill fits our offense more, and has obviously gelled with the wholeteam. All I needed to see was that first play when he looks at his number 1, see's he's open but notices that he made the DB jump towards the receiverso quickly finds his number 2 option for a better gain. Those little look offs that come so natural for him is what makes me such a believer in his ability.More than anything I want this guy to really come to the forefront as a premier QB in this league. It's a far fetch thing to hope for considering he has todo twice as much as most QB's to get any attention from a national audience, but if he becomes a Pro Bowler, it would be one heck of a underdog story.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by aastatic

We need a better pass rush

I agree.. I thought with Singletary as coach we would see more blitzing. Like the D he played with the Bears.. I don't like
sitting back and just try to not let the big play happen. A good offensive team will take those short passes and move down
little by little. We need to bring the blitz a lot more often. With the sweet linebackers we have we shouldn't be hesitant.

[h1]49ers waive injured RB Clayton[/h1]
By JANIE McCAULEY, AP Sports Writer

Sunday, August 16, 2009

(08-16) 18:21 PDT San Francisco (AP) --

The San Francisco 49ers waived running back Thomas Clayton on Sunday, two days after he sustained a serious knee injury in the fourth quarter of Friday night's 17-16 preseason win over the Denver Broncos.

Clayton tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee and will be out for the season. 49ers spokesman Bob Lange said Clayton would have surgery.

The Niners needed the roster spot and signed rookie fullback Bill Rentmeester to replace Clayton. Rentmeester was released by the Chargers on Aug. 5 after signing with San Diego as an undrafted free agent on May 1. If another team doesn't claim Clayton, he stays with the 49ers and would be placed on injured reserve.

"It's always unfortunate when you lose anyone that's trying to make a football team," coach Mike Singletary told reporters after a walkthrough Sunday. "He's just a guy that really works hard. He gives you everything that he has on every down and we know that he had high hopes of being part of the team. When someone like that goes down, it's always a difficult thing to see. So, we'll just have to rehabilitate the knee and go from there."

Clayton was tripped up by Denver cornerback Jack Williams and awkwardly twisted his knee. He was down for several minutes before being carted off the field. Clayton raised his left finger to the fans, grimacing in pain.

Clayton, who was in the running to make the roster as a backup to Frank Gore, was the 49ers' sixth-round draft pick in 2007 and spent most of his first two seasons on the practice squad before being active for the final two games in 2008.

Singletary said the Niners will let Clayton get healthy before deciding whether to bring him back. Clayton should generate plenty of interest elsewhere, too.

"It's hard to miss him," Singletary said. "When you look at him, he's the kind of guy that everything that he's doing you know that he's going as fast as he can go, he's going as hard as he can go and he's just one of those guys that when you look on him on film, you know that you're going to get everything that he has on every play. Every team is looking for somebody that will do that."

Also, Singletary said fullback Zak Keasey would likely miss 8 to 10 weeks after breaking his arm Friday.

Linebacker Patrick Willis participated in the walkthrough, his first work since injuring his ankle on the first day of training camp. His first full practice back will be Monday. Tight end Delanie Walker, nursing a concussion, also is set to return Monday.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/08/16/sports/s163731D05.DTL

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Originally Posted by Deuce King

well, not everyone is committed.
nerd.gif
Your right about that, there is 1 fraud in our circle, but at least that person have been spotted and duly noted. Looking forward to the game tonight. Does anyone else feel like me when I say that I can honestly care less at this point in time if the 49ers sign Crabtree??

Pretty much, I always thought he was an overrated receiver. Him demanding an unreasonable amount of money when he didn't even participate in an OTA is ridiculous.

I agree. Finally both you and I are back on the same page NikeTalker23, glad to see it champ.

Can someone PS a niners pic with black alternate unis and the red top/white pants back in the deion days?

i am very excited about this years team
pimp.gif

was at the preseason game, 1st time at candlestick park..def. going to some regular season games

BEAR PASCOE WILL BE A FORCE, believe that..

Originally Posted by Andrew630

Can someone PS a niners pic with black alternate unis and the red top/white pants back in the deion days?
23h58nk.jpg

heres a quick one i just did...coulda spent more time on the pants...they look
sick.gif

but i like the overall concept if the niners did have those unis

theres an Autographed patrick willis jersey on ebay for only 150, im very tempted in buying it

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

hey guys, do the customizable jerseys that are 99.99 have screen printed number/name or sewn?

http://www.nflshop.com/pr...ex.jsp?productId=3555025

its stiched...but only the borders of the numbers and names...its a swingman type for football jerseys...theyre better than the screen printed but im not gonnaspend 100 on a swingman

niners are destroying the raiders today @ napa
pimp.gif

as they should
pimp.gif

^^
Good looks, i want a jersey with my last name on it, but done want to spend the near 300 for the Authentic joint.

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

hey guys, do the customizable jerseys that are 99.99 have screen printed number/name or sewn?

http://www.nflshop.com/pr...ex.jsp?productId=3555025

its stiched...but only the borders of the numbers and names...its a swingman type for football jerseys...theyre better than the screen printed but im not gonna spend 100 on a swingman

niners are destroying the raiders today @ napa
pimp.gif
as they should
pimp.gif

t'was a good pickup.
pimp.gif

bryant young was my favorite player growing up. so unheralded, yet a steady all-pro.

WHEN ARE WE GONNA GET PASS RUSH LIKE THAT AGAIN??!?!

[h5]August 18, 2009[/h5]
Just another practice? Not to Frank Gore

The biggest hit of training camp was delivered today. But it didn't come in a team situation between the Raiders and 49ers and it wasn't given by defensive player. Instead, the blow came courtesy of Frank Gore during a pass-blocking drill when he absolutely leveled Ricky Brown, an outside linebacker and one of the better pass rushers on the Raiders. Gore, who's about 5-9, 215 pounds, put the 6-2, 235-pound Brown on his back.

To say that Gore was excited for today's morning practice would be like saying the Grand Canyon is kinda deep. Remember, he was held out of Friday's game against the Broncos, so today's scrimmage was in effect his preseason opener. After decking Brown, Gore did the same to linebacker Kirk Morrison, who is not exactly a scrub. His third opponent was going to be David Nixon, a slightly built rookie out of BYU. When running backs coach Tom Rathman saw that matchup, however, he pulled Gore out and put in someone who wasn't as lathered up. Nixon ought to send Rathman a thank-you note.

Afterward Mike Singletary joked that he told Gore he'd have to make him watch the rest of the practice from the team bus. "He did a nice job," Singletary said. "Frank is a guy - he gets excited about what he's doing, and to me, his heart and his emotion and his enthusiasm is what this game is all about." Gore, for his part, said he was merely trying to satisfy position coach Rathman, who is constantly harping on pass-blocking technique. Gore said he thought the drill actually favors the linebackers, who are both bigger and can get running starts. "I think it's a linebacker's drill," he said. "Because in a game you can (undercut) them. You can mess with their heads."

Gore's back-up, Glen Coffee, did well in the drill, though not as well as Gore. Rookies Kory Sheets, Brit Miller and Bill Rentmeester, however, struggled.

Shaun Hill looked sharp during 11 on 11 drills. Alex Smith was less so. Hill, who ran the first-team offense and mostly faced the Raiders' first-team defense, finished the morning session 12 of 14. One of those incompletions came when he spiked the ball during a two-minute drill. In that drill, Hill drove his team to the opposition 33 yard line, giving Joe Nedney a chance for a 51-yarder. It hit the left upright. Hill threw a deep ball to Vernon Davis that Davis caught over the shoulder (yes, you read that correctly) in front of safety Jerome Boyd. He also hooked up with Micheal Spurlock on a deep pass.

Smith was not as sharp Tuesday. He finished the morning 7 of 13. He also set up a long Nedney field goal - it went wide right - off the 2-minute drill, but the drive was not as fluid as Hill's. In fact, he targeted Glen Coffee on short passes on the first five snaps of the drive and netted only 15 yards. To be fair, a nice downfield pass to Arnaz Battle on the sixth play should have been hauled in by the receiver.

There were no fights during the morning session, a departure from last year's meeting between the teams. Singletary said he told his players not to fight. And yet ... "I cannot guarantee that it will stay that way (peaceful)," Singletary said. "But this morning I needed to see that. I wanted us to understand that ... we didn't come here to fight. We didn't come here for all the other things. We've got too much work to do and we're not good enough for that. But at the same time our guys will take care of themselves. And they will respond. I gave them permission to make sure that they take care of themselves and each other."

Speaking of fighting ... in case you're interested about the ongoing, in-house Raiders drama, coach Tom Cable said "nothing happened" regarding his alleged punch of a defensive assistant. The x-rays from the local hospital suggest something happened. ...
-- Matt Barrows
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2009/08/just-another-pr.html

Back
Top Bottom