Official San Francisco 49ers Off-Season Thread (5-7): Let's get ready for the Draft!

I'm digging the Davis pick
happy.gif

Hopefully this means D Huard will get the AX.

As for the draft direction, we were 13th on total D last year and even w/ Martz we were 23rd on O, So anything they do to improve the offense is great with me.The D will be fine for another year as it is but the O needs help and they are getting it.

http://www.youtube.com/v/ivgcGCMt4Rs&hl=en&fs=1

im right there with you on the RB situation bright.
i would rather have them gone after jennings, but teams are passing up on him like crazy
eek.gif

...we even agreed to draft him in that mock draft
roll.gif

I know NTL damn
laugh.gif

Niners are almost up in 4 picks, I say they go for O-Line ................. if not a CB?

(ntl you ever get on the gaspari? how u like it)

49ers select: Bear Pascoe, and this actually makes sense.

I've been thinking about this because since the niners best blocking tight end left, Billy Bajema signed for the rams ... Bear provides:

Strengths:
Great height with a large frame and adequate bulk...Super tough...Has reliable hands...Excellent blocker both on the move and in-line...Runs with power afterthe catch...Smart...Good awareness...A hard worker.

Weaknesses:
Stiff and is not very athletic...Timed speed is well below average...Not very strong...Isn't a vertical threat and won't stretch thefield...Doesn't get much separation...Not very elusive...Poor leaper...Limited upside.

Still this draft really had me fooled, I thought they would focus on defense ... they only traded 1 defensive player ..

Originally Posted by 100PROOF

OK I'm confused, did we lose a TE to free agency? strange pick
ohwell.gif
Billy Bajema was our best blocking TE and he signed elsewhere.

Makes sense .... I mean the dudes name is Bear ....
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by bright nikes

49ers select: Bear Pascoe, and this actually makes sense.

I've been thinking about this because since the niners best blocking tight end left, Billy Bajema signed for the rams ... Bear provides:

Strengths:
Great height with a large frame and adequate bulk...Super tough...Has reliable hands...Excellent blocker both on the move and in-line...Runs with power after the catch...Smart...Good awareness...A hard worker.

Weaknesses:
Stiff and is not very athletic...Timed speed is well below average...Not very strong...Isn't a vertical threat and won't stretch the field...Doesn't get much separation...Not very elusive...Poor leaper...Limited upside.

Still this draft really had me fooled, I thought they would focus on defense ... they only traded 1 defensive player ..
nice thanks for the scouting report
pimp.gif

Not that bad of a pick. We still need a safety and offensive lineman though.

i'm still kinda irked by that coffee pick, i mean going into the draft didnt the niners wanna get a BIG physical back 220-230+

looking at clayton isnt he like 220lbs already, and now coffee who is barely 200lbs.

how is he suppose to absorb the hits that frank is suppose to get....still so many RB on the board, ok my vent is over.

Niners pickup Coye Francis please.....

I dont know if i like the nate davis pick. everywhere ive read before the draft they said he has a learning disability. Hopefully he can overcome that and dogood as a backup?

Nate Davis
Not only must Davis overcome his status as a third-year junior but also widespread concern about his ability to handle an NFL playbook. Davis has acknowledged that he is learning disabled, and so it was not a shock when he scored merely 11 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test.

"(Davis) has a Freeman arm and he was more accurate than Freeman," said Shemy Schembechler, a scout for the Washington ********. "I mean, he can throw it. But it will be a different learning process with him that some offensive coordinator is going to have to adjust to if he's going to play for you."

Originally Posted by OwensStr8Clownin

I dont know if i like the nate davis pick. everywhere ive read before the draft they said he has a learning disability. Hopefully he can overcome that and do good as a backup?

Nate Davis
Not only must Davis overcome his status as a third-year junior but also widespread concern about his ability to handle an NFL playbook. Davis has acknowledged that he is learning disabled, and so it was not a shock when he scored merely 11 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test.

"(Davis) has a Freeman arm and he was more accurate than Freeman," said Shemy Schembechler, a scout for the Washington ********. "I mean, he can throw it. But it will be a different learning process with him that some offensive coordinator is going to have to adjust to if he's going to play for you."

For the first time since the first selection of 2005, the 49ers have invested a draft pick in a quarterback.

The 49ers went with Ball Statequarterback Nate Davis in the fifth round with the No. 146 overall selection. Davis received a lot of exposure this season, as it seemed Ball State was alwayson prime-time TV on ESPN with those odd-ball weekday night games.

Davis(6-2, 224) was the Mid-American Conference Player of the Year. He threw for 3,591 yards with 26 touchdowns, eightinterceptions and a 64.3 completion percentage. As I recall, Davis would get the snap in the shotgun formation and never adjust the ball to grip the laces. Hewould just throw it. That shouldn't be an issue as he learns to take snaps behind center.

Davisbecomes the fourth quarterback on a 49ers' roster that includes Shaun Hill, Alex Smith (the top pick in 2005) andDamon Huard. He was selected because the 49ers believe he has a chance to develop into a good player in the future.

Davis was one of four quarterbacks in the draft to visit the 49ers' offices in Santa Clara. Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchezand Josh Freeman were the others.

Nate Davis said he believes the only difference between he and Matthew Stafford and Mark Sanchez is those guys went toGeorgia and USC, and he went Ball State (David Letterman's alma mater).

But the reason he said he wasavailable in the fifth round is because of a learning disability. Davis said he has a problem reading and writing. However, he said that does not translate tofootball. When he visited the 49ers, he stood in front of the grease board and was quizzed by 49ers quarterbacks coach Mike Johnson.

After that pick, Davis said hebelieved, "San Fran was the place for me." (It's also nice to hear him say "San Fran" instead of "Frisco.")

Davissaid he feels more comfortable throwing the ball without the laces. In high school he was a shot-gun quarterback andwould take a lot of three-step drops in which he didn't have time to adjust the ball in his hand.

For the naysayers
Yet, with all his natural ability and a relentless desire to maximize his football skills, Gore could have seen it all end after a record-setting high school career.

Gore was enrolled in special-education classes in English and math during his first two years at Coral Gables because of a learning disability, affecting his comprehension of written material.

If ND turns out to be the Gore version at QB then we'll all be happy, if not it was 5th rd comp pick

LT
74 Joe Staley

77 Jacob Bender

LG
64 David Baas
68 (Adam Snyder)

C
66 Eric Heitmann

65 Cody Wallace

RG
62 Chilo Rachal

69 Tony Wragge

RT
Marvel Smith

68 (Adam Snyder)

65 Barry Sims

We arent too bad at OL right now, we do need another though and another DL, and some players in the secondary preferably CB

Back
Top Bottom