Official San Francisco 49ers Off-Season Thread (5-7): Let's get ready for the Draft!

The 49ers have picked in six rounds. Why haven't they picked an outside linebacker? Why haven't they picked an offensive tackle?

Well, the 49ers had the chance to pick an offensive tackle that could have filled that need. With two picks in front of them in the first round, the 49ers had decided on either receiver Michael Crabtree or tackles Eugene Monroe and Michael Oher.

The Jaguars took Monroe at No. 8, and the Packers selected B.J. Raji with the ninth pick. The 49ers didn't have to give it much thought before selecting Crabtree over Oher.

When asked if the 49ers thought about moving back into the first round to select the dropping Oher, Singletary said they were unable to do it. "It would've cleaned us out on the back end," he said.

Singletary said the 49ers opted against selecting a tackle or an outside linebacker in the five rounds after that because they did not see anyone at those positions that would've served as an upgrade. So the 49ers selected players they deemed as better fits at running back (Glen Coffee), inside linebacker (Scott McKillop), quarterback (Nate Davis) and tight end (Bear Pascoe).

Singletary said the team would look at the board and either the players at OLB or OT that they may have wanted had already been selected. The players available "did not fit into what we're doing," he said.

So the 49ers have Parys Haralson and Manny Lawson at outside linebacker. Behind those player is not a lot of depth.

Said Singletary, "I'm confident somehow, someway, we'll get what we need."

Thank you
smile.gif
but Cook was still available

i made this post in the uniform changes thread too, but I figured I'd post here too

I was really excited to see the niners go back to the old jerseys, and I have to say I'm really disappointed. It comes down to 3 things (this will seemreally anal to most people, but I'm overly picky about aesthetics). here's a comparison, the '08 alternate is what I was hoping for, it's aperfect replica of the old montana era jerseys

classic jerseys
topper-montana.jpg

'08 alternates
lrg-326-lawsonsingletaryduckett.jpg

comparison
16i7ia0.jpg

1. the helmet logo didn't go back to the old one

1000.gif

999.gif

the old version is so much cleaner, the extra gold circle and the diagonal shadow on the sf clutter it

2. tv numbers on top of the shoulder instead of on the upper arm. if this was the only change, it wouldn't be that bad, but I don't know why theymessed with it all

3. 49ers wordmark on the chest. It's hard for me to explain why I detest wordmarks on the front of jerseys. When I look at a football jersey I don'twant to see words on the front, I should already know which team it is. It's as if the jersey is dumbed down, or the organization is overmarketing itself .The browns have a wordmark on their regular jerseys, but not on their alternate throwbacks, and to me it makes a huge difference in the cleanliness of thejersey. Also, just the overall font looks bad, I don't like the underlining at all
p5898998dt.jpg

these may all seem like small points (and of course, they are), but it bothers me that they couldn't have just gone full time with the '08 alternates,which are basically perfect duplicates of the old jerseys. Instead, they messed with a good thing and made small changes, all for the worse (I just noticed, nostripes on the socks = boo)

what could have been
willisx-large.jpg

Good post - FlashEightZero.
I woulda preferred they just stick with the 08 alt. too. But they wanted to add a modern twist to it and I think the uni's came out pretty clean. I stillhave my gripes mainly the 'wordmark'
sick.gif
I just think its way better than the jersey's we had before.

Any stores discounting the 80's replica jersey's for the current players?

I know my brother has a Pat Willis or Frank Gore one.

do we all agree that there were some quality backs left in the later rounds?

i mean, we didnt draft an OLB or DE (we need some more depth there), no CB or Oline man
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

im sure theyre gonna be on the phones a lot of free agents gonna be called in.

overall this draft was focused on our offense which was ranked 23rd overall.

the real work begins now finding the RFA.

i guess coffee had some amazing workout for the niners which made them pick him.

he's just not the "bruising" back they preached to us before the draft ....

i expect an open competetion between hill, smith, davis, huard ... would love for someone to take davis under their wing (huard aint that dude).

i like the ricky-jean pickup especially this late.

crabtree back all that talk up and put on the field.

overall i give the niners a C+ ... (the + comes for the future 1st rounder from carolina).

other than that, it seems like once crabtree fell to them the whole board got *+@%%* up.

they went away with NEED and went solely on building the offense up, i guess 2010 will be the defense - and have an imprint of mike singletary.

let's get trent dilfer back to mentor nate davis, he did a helluva job with alex smith
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
, why not do it again????

smh.gif

2009 49ers Draft Picks

[table][tr][td]Rd[/td] [td]Sel[/td] [td]Ovr[/td] [td]Player[/td] [td]Pos[/td] [td]School[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]Michael Crabtree[/td] [td]WR[/td] [td]Texas Tech[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]74[/td] [td]Glen Coffee[/td] [td]RB[/td] [td]Alabama[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]146[/td] [td]Scott McKillop[/td] [td]ILB[/td] [td]Pittsburgh[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5[/td] [td]35[/td] [td]171[/td] [td]Nate Davis[/td] [td]QB[/td] [td]Ball State[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]184[/td] [td]Bear Pascoe[/td] [td]TE[/td] [td]Fresno State[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]219[/td] [td]Curtis Taylor[/td] [td]S[/td] [td]LSU[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [td]35[/td] [td]244[/td] [td]Ricky Jean-Francois[/td] [td]DT[/td] [td]LSU[/td] [/tr][/table]

View the 49ers' picks from your iPhone or mobile browser!

Round: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

2009 49ers Rookies
[table][tr][td]Round 1, Pick 10: Michael Crabtree
Position: WR
Class: Sophomore
College: Texas Tech
Conference: Big 12
Height: 6-2
Weight: 215
40 Time: 4.58
NFL.com Bio
[/td] [td]
picks-mcrabtree.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Round 3, Pick 10: Glen Coffee
Position: RB
Class: Junior
College: Alabama
Conference: SEC
Height: 6-0
Weight: 209
40 Time: 4.62
NFL.com Bio
[/td] [td]
picks-gcoffee.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Round 5, Pick 10: Scott McKillop
Position: ILB
Class: Senior
College: Pittsburgh
Conference: Big East
Height: 6-1
Weight: 244
40 Time: 4.73
NFL.com Bio
[/td] [td]
picks-smckillon.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Round 5, Pick 35: Nate Davis
Position: QB
College: Ball State
Conference: MAC
Height: 6-1
Weight: 226
40 Time: 4.97
NFL.com Bio
[/td] [td]
picks-ndavis.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Round 6, Pick 11: Bear Pascoe
Position: TE
College: Fresno State
Conference: WAC
Height: 6-5
Weight: 251
40 Time: 4.94
NFL.com Bio
[/td] [td]
picks-bprascoe.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Round 7, Pick 10: Curtis Taylor
Position: S
College: LSU
Height: 6-2
Weight: 209
40 Time: 4.55
NFL.com Bio
[/td] [td]
picks-ctaylor.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Round 7, Pick 35: Ricky Jean-Francois
Position: DT
College: LSU
Height: 6-3
Weight: 295
40 Time: 4.96
NFL.com Bio
[/td] [td]
picks-rjean-francois.gif
[/td] [/tr][/table]

He was a FA and signed with the Rams, he was our best blocking TE.

Anyways, add the 49er signings:

49ers
DE Pannel Egboh (Stanford)
CB Jahi Word-Daniels (Georgia Tech)
RB Kory Sheets (Purdue)

Haven't been on NT this weekend and check this thread yet but....How many y'all like Crabtree now?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ii FLaSh ii

p5898918reg.jpg

p5898964reg.jpg
Nice, unlike you guys I actually like the Coffee pick-up, I watched him in the Crimson Tide games a few times and he seems consistant and talentedenough to be a productive NFL running back.

Back
Top Bottom