Official San Francisco 49ers Off-Season Thread (5-7): Let's get ready for the Draft!

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

Any of you think that the Niners would actually consider bringing him back?
no, but i'd love it.
laugh.gif

ohwell.gif

it would sure shore up a need in our WR department, but Singletary vs Owens is probably not what management is looking to incite.
or then again, is it?

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

hell no..no TO

Haha, I know you're mad that Huard agreed to a contract today. LOL.

Nah, that should put him at 3rd after Hill at #2 and Alex at #1 once the season starts..

Owens might want to play for a guy like Singletary...Owens wants to win, and Singletary's that kind of coach...but who knows. I'd def. welcome himback, but that's cuz I liked him a lot when he was with us.

We have to make an offer to this man. TO under Singletary would be great...mike will put him in check. Now sign jeff, assuming both can move on....if not goafter vick...imagine...vick/Garcia, TO, gore, vd....

NT23 youre crazy if you think alex smith will be our #1 qb.

#1 shaun hill
#2 damon huard
#3 alex smith

frown.gif

Murph: You know what I want to do first, Scot, is ask a non-Kurt Warner question. And that's about Terrell Owens. He has been released by the Cowboys. And, it's out there. Are the 49ers going to be interested in contacting Terrell Owens?

McCloughan: I'll just say this: We knew there was a chance he might be released at some point. We've done all of the research we need to do. Again, we put a value on every prospect, free agency or the draft. It's not just what he does on the field. It's what he does off the field. How he fits in the locker room, how he fits Coach Singletary's vision. So, there's a value for him. Again, we don't close any doors. But there's a value for some players that's higher than others.

Mac: Speaking of fitting in, can you, in your head, imagine him and Singletary co-existing with their much different personalities?

McCloughan: Well, the thing about Coach Singletary, which is great, is that he's not afraid to say what's on his mind and be forceful about it. We're not afraid to take a so-called chance on players who might have some background issues. But we have to make sure it's the right fit at the right time for the team.

Murph: So the official statement from the 49ers, not closing the door?
McCloughan: Correct.

I think it's safe to say this team really has ZERO direction.

I can't wait to see how the draft goes.

laugh.gif

Damon Huard? What are the numbers on that contract?

Sounds like it could be a Hill/Huard duel at training camp. You can't say that Hill is so much better than Huard that they'll just outright name himthe starter.

I havent liked one thing that they have done in the off season so far.

If Owens goes to the Raiders, Oakland most likely won't draft Crabtree. I'm praying he falls to us...

For all the Shaun hill fans...

he had 2 starts at the end of 2007, vs a bad bengal team hopelessly out of the playoffs and playing out the season,

and a tampa team that pulled their starters and had nothing to play for because they clinced a playoff spot..

again the games were at the end of the 2007 season and rather meaningless, and certainly less meaningful than games at the start of a season, where a team is equal with all others and playing to make the playoffs or have a winning season...shaun hill has never started any games at the start of a season

in 2008, niners are 2-5 when he gets starting chances...

he has two wins vs a very bad rams team, one of the wins being a game he was awful for the most part, almost got pulled and wins it on a long pass to morgan that may very well have been intended for another receiver..

a win on the road vs bills (impressive ill grant you) but the offense did precious little...

a win vs jets who were in middle of a tailspin that eventually led to their coach being fired...

a win vs ********, the last game of season (a time when many players are looking to play out the season)...granted hill had nice final drive

arguably hill played better in the losses vs cardinals (very uneven performance--i think he had 5 turnovers--3 picks 2 fumbles if i recall correctly--but he did move the ball) cowboys and dolphins than he did versus rams (2nd game) and bills in wins

i look at the above and i am not ready to drink the shaun hill kool aid because he has a 7-3 record as a starter ...maybe singletary isnt either, explaining why he isnt proclaiming him a starter and was lunching with kurt warner

Got this from 49erswebzone you gotta admit the guys got a point

Now for all The Alex Smith fans

Alex Smith is due back from his honeymoon later this week, and at that point the 49ers' fuzzy quarterback situation should get into focus. With Smith on the far side of the world, contract negotiations have been difficult. When he gets back, there will be roughly two weeks to rework his contract before the 49ers hold their first minicamp. The 49ers will not allow Smith to participate in the camp under his current contract.

The first question is whether Smith, who had surgery in late October to have a nettlesome piece of bone removed from his shoulder, would be able to participate in the minicamp anyway. The answer is, yes. Smith's throwing arm was not yet back to normal when he left for his honeymoon, but it was progressing nicely. The 49ers have little doubt his throwing arm will be back to full strength. The fracture that occurred just before the season had nothing to do with the mechanics of his shoulder. Now that the offending piece of bone has been removed, Smith no longer has the pain he experienced last summer and his confidence has grown. Smith also has grown. I hear he's at 225 pounds.

Smith must rework his contract in order to remain with the 49ers. Both sides believe that will ultimately happen, but there is still enough doubt to make the 49ers uneasy. The 49ers would have liked to have had resolved Smith's contract by the start of free agency and before Smith left on his honeymoon. What kind of leverage does Smith, who hasn't played in a meaningful game for a year and a half, have? For one, the 49ers only have two quarterbacks - Shaun Hill and Damon Huard - who are certain to take part in the March minicamp, and recent actions suggest the 49ers don't have full confidence in Hill.

It's also likely that other teams would take a run at Smith if the 49ers are forced to release him. Which teams? This is purely a guess at this point, but Tampa Bay was interested in Smith in 2005 and they have plenty of questions at quarterback. Bill Parcells liked Smith coming out of college, and the Dolphins certainly have room for another QB. Scott Linehan knows Smith and tried to recruit him at Louisville. Linehan could use a quarterback or two in Detroit. (Rumor alert: I'm hearing that the reason Linehan turned down the 49ers' OC job was because he balked at the 49ers' insistence that he commit to multiple years).

And what about the 49ers' leverage? They've made no secret that they want Smith back, but Scot McCloughan also has said that he won't let Smith's contract override the best interest of the team. If the negotiations with Smith's agent drag on, look for the 49ers to bring in another veteran quarterback. The best one out there should be familiar to 49ers fans - Jeff Garcia. Garcia turned 39 last month, but he had a delayed start in the NFL and has played only 10 full seasons. He finished 2008 in Tampa Bay with a 90.2 passer rating, the third straight season he has been above 90 in that category. There also would be a nice bit of poetry in someone beginning and ending his career in the same spot.
-- Matt Barrows
Now thats what I'm talking about drop Smith, bring back Garcia, and draft a project QB

I still want T.O.
I agree that Hill's performances weren't exactly against top-flight competition but he's shown consistency moving the ball at least, and unless weget someone way better or Alex Smith or Huard clearly outperforms him in preseason, he should get a shot. He's definitely better served as a quality no. 2QB than a starting QB but given what we're trying to do on offense he might be good enough. We shall see though

Other than this debate on Shaun Hill...

I really like the fact that Dashon Goldson has been named a starter over Mark Roman. I love that.

[h2]Niners to look at CB Green[/h2]
from 49ers Blog and Q&A by Matt Barrows

The 49ers plan to kick the tires on Arizona cornerback Eric Green, a third-round draft pick of the Cardinals in 2005. Green is due into 49ers headquarters tomorrow, according to his agent. The Florida native visited the Dolphins Wednesday and the Titans today.

Green has had mixed results in Arizona. He started 11 games in 2007 and seemed to be securing himself as a permanent starter. Last season, however, he lost his starting job to rookie Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. Green attributed his struggles early in the season to nagging calf and knee injuries.

If the 49ers somehow landed Green, they would have one of the deepest cornerback corps of any team in the league. Nate Clements and Walt Harris are the starters. Shawntae Spencer has starting experience and Tarell Brown seemed to be progressing nicely late last season. The team also spent a third-round draft pick on Reggie Smith. Marcus Hudson, a sixth-round pick in 2006, was on the bubble last year and needs to make a splash this summer. He also could be moved to safety, where he practiced occasionally last year.

FA update: New Orleans, Green Bay, Chicago, Minnesota, New England, Carolina, Detroit, San Francisco and now ... Cincinnati. J.T. O'Sullivan is now the No. 2 for the Bengals, a good spot for him. The next time the 49ers play the Bengals is 2011 ...

-- Matt Barrows

im not sure how much longer walt can go, but i'd like to see brown replace him.

No, he really doesn't. I don't know how 49ers fans can come off complaining about Shaun Hill when he's been the only one that'sbeen able to win us football games for the last 5 seasons. None of the other QB's were able to win even so called "meaningless" games. I love howdesperate Hill haters are for excuses, "it was the end of the season so of course he was gonna play his heartout." Yeah, he only gave a %%!% at the end of the season
eyes.gif
Oh andhow he never started a season, that's not his fault that's Nolan and the rest of the managements fault. Shaun Hill is the best option we have andrather than complaining about it, we need to build around him and make ourselves at the very least playoff contenders.

Shaun Hill is the best option we have and rather than complaining about it, we need to build around him and make ourselves at the very least playoff contenders.
How about sign someone better? It is still free agency.

Originally Posted by BirdsIView

No, he really doesn't. I don't know how 49ers fans can come off complaining about Shaun Hill when he's been the only one that's been able to win us football games for the last 5 seasons. None of the other QB's were able to win even so called "meaningless" games. I love how desperate Hill haters are for excuses, "it was the end of the season so of course he was gonna play his heart out." Yeah, he only gave a %%!% at the end of the season
eyes.gif
Oh and how he never started a season, that's not his fault that's Nolan and the rest of the managements fault. Shaun Hill is the best option we have and rather than complaining about it, we need to build around him and make ourselves at the very least playoff contenders.

Clearly the writer does have a point, and his points have also been brought up and discussed by other analysts during the post season. Like Isaid before shaun hill is a great 2nd string qb at best. Im for giving smith another chance but if he doesnt play well, give him the jto treatment and starthill.

Back
Top Bottom