Official San Francisco 49ers Off-Season Thread (5-7): Let's get ready for the Draft!

Originally Posted by dland24

At what point are we just going to give Shaun Hill the chance to be our starter? I realize he isnt what most teams look for in their QB, but hasnt he done enough to at least earn the chance? If I am Shaun Hill, I would be PISSED at the fact that he isnt the QB to begin with, let alone hearing all this Kurt Warner talk.
Shaun Hill is lucky he got paid last offseason, he has no right to be pissed. Kurt warner is flat out a better QB then hill thats not up fordebate. If the 9ers cut him right now would anybody else in the league start him? Singletary, McCloughan, and even Jed York have their jobs on the line, and I dont blame them forgetting a better option at QB then a career backup.

I hope they sign Warner and cut Smith
laugh.gif

Warner with this offensive line = disaster

His old $!+ will only last 3 games.

From the offseason thread, apparently we're in discussion with the Browns about Braylon Edwards. hmm

^ Gotta get that done!

Even if they're young, I feel pretty good about Staley and Rachal. Maybe throw Andre Smith into that mix?

No on Andre Smith, I don't care how much potential he has - the dude has a brain of a child.

As far as Braylon, eh I guess - I really want Shaun Rodgers from that team (he asked to be released).

I wonder if the niners are interested in Jason Taylor? Injuries might be catching up to him.

*please no warner, please!*

I'm still scratching my head on Brandon Jones, especially for the $ he signed for.

No on Andre Smith, I don't care how much potential he has - the dude has a brain of a child.
We're talking about the NFL here. I don't know how you can say that when Frank Gore is our best player (bless him and his learningdisability). Brains do not always equal success, and vice versa, word to Alex Smith's wonderlic score (sorry NT23)

It's not too complicated with Coach Singletary...You hit em in the mouth, and win forever.

If we do get warner, that hightens the chance they trade for edwards. Like whats been posted on blogs and articles, the 49ers personnel and play calling isgoing to change if we get warner.

Originally Posted by Burn916

We're talking about the NFL here. I don't know how you can say that when Frank Gore is our best player (bless him and his learning disability). Brains do not always equal success, and vice versa, word to Alex Smith's wonderlic score (sorry NT23)

It's not too complicated with Coach Singletary...You hit em in the mouth, and win forever.

I'm sorry, i didn't really be specific. I was referring to Andre's "character" Character can never be changed, he was brought up this wayand he'll always live by it. His character issues alone, has made him go from a top 3 pick to maybe even mid-late 1st round just because of his characterissues. that's a red flag alone for teams to pass on him.

word to mike beasley?

in any case,
martz, warner, bruce + possible top flight WR woulda been nuts...

sad days.

With the money Warner wants, I say give to someone else can be a long term player... No way we will do something in 2 years... Still need some development... Ithink B Jones will be productive this year... He is a solid receiver...

i wonder what martz is up too?

it makes no sense how they let him go so soon, and yet the 49ers are in deep talks into the QB martz made.

bring martz back!

i have a feeling raye's offense will be very predictable. Jim Hostler like... Ok, no one will suck as much as hostler but they can come close to it
sick.gif

Taylor would help 49ers' pass rush
March 3, 2009 12:03 AM
Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

The 49ers' pursuit of Kurt Warner obscured another potential free-agent storyline for San Francisco. The team needs a pass rusher, and Jason Taylor is suddenly available.

Taylor will have other options. He's played his entire career on the East Coast. He's leaving the ******** in part because he didn't want to spend his offseasons away from his family in Florida.

Taylor might not be willing to consider a job on the West Coast, but if the 49ers can score a visit with Warner, perhaps anything is possible. Should the 49ers make a run at Taylor? He might be able to help in a situational role.

Ehhh... I'd take him if he was willing to sign for a discount (which won't happen).

hostler did name raye as one of his mentors.

we're in for another long season.

sick.gif

Here's a pretty good list of who's left out there:

Top Free Agents Left on the open Market:

QB Kurt Warner(Cardinals)
QB Jeff Garcia(Buccaneers)
QB Byron Leftwhich(Steelers)

RB Rudi Johnson(Lions)
RB Cedric Benson(Bengals)
RB Domonic Rhodes(Colts)
RB LaMont Jordan(Patriots)
RB Deuce McAllister(Saints)
RB Ahman Green(Texans)
RB Warrick Dunn(Buccaneers)
RB Nick Goings(Panthers)

FB Terrelle Smith(Cardinals)
FB Lorenzo Neal(Ravens)
FB Heath Evans(Patriots)
FB Justin Griffith(Raiders)
FB Leonard Weaver(Seahawks)

WR Marvin Harrison(Colts)
WR Devery Henderson(Saints)
WR Shaun McDonald(Lions)
WR Amani Toomer(Giants)
WR Ike Hilliard(Buccaneers)
WR Joey Galloway(Buccaneers)
WR Ronald Curry(Raiders)
WR Marty Booker(Bears)
WR D.J. Hackett(Panthers)
WR Laverneues Coles(Jets)
WR Drew Bennett(Rams)
WR Hank Baskett(Eagles)

TE Owen Daniels(Texans)
TE L.J. Smith(Eagles)

C Matt Birk(Vikings)

OG Edwin Mulitalo(Lions)
OG Kendall Simmons(Steelers)
OG Jahri Evans(Saints)
OG Mark Setterstorm(Rams)
OG Mike Goff(Chargers)
OG Richie Incognito(Rams)

OT Jon Runyan(Eagles)
OT William Thomas(Eagles)
OT Khalif Barnes(Jaguars)
OT Tyson Clabo(Falcons)
OT Harvey Dahl(Falcons)
OT Donald Penn(Buccaneers)

DE Jason Taylor(********)
DE Vonnie Holiday(Dolphins)
DE Demetric Evans(********)
DE Marques Douglas(Ravens)
DE Bertrand Berry(Cardinals)
DE Kevin Carter(Buccaneers)
DE Kalimba Edwards(Raiders)
DE Anthony Weaver(Texans)
DE John Engelberger(Broncos)
DE Igor Olshansky(Chargers)

DT La'Roi Glover(Rams)
DT Mike Wright(Patriots)
DT Shaun Cody(Lions)
DT John Thornton(Bengals)
DT Darwin Walker(Panthers)
DT Dewayne Robertson(Broncos)

OLB Cato June(Buccaneers)
OLB James Farrior(Steelers)
OLB Willie McGinnest(Browns)
OLB Mike Peterson(Jaguars)

MLB Ray Lewis(Ravens)
MLB Marcus Washington(********)
MLB Donnie Edwards(Chiefs)
MLB Derrick Brooks(Buccaneers)

CB Bryant McFadden(Steelers)
CB Stanley Wilson(Lions)
CB Kevin Dockery(Giants)
CB Jamar Fletcher(Texans)
CB Phillip Buchanon(Buccaneers)
CB Drayton Florence(Jaguars)
CB Sam Madison(Giants)
CB Dre' Bly(Broncos)
CB Chris McAllister(Ravens)
CB Patrick Surtain(Chiefs)
CB David Barrett(Jets)
CB Shawn Springs(********)
CB R.W. McQuarters(Giants)

FS James Butler(Giants)
FS Jarad Page(Chiefs)
FS Josh Bullocks(Saints)

SS Jermaine Phillips(Buccaneers)
SS Sean Jones(Browns)
SS Corey Chavous(Rams)
SS Lawyer Milloy(Falcons)
SS Mike Brown(Bears)
SS Darren Sharper(Vikings)
SS Brandon McGowan(Bears)
SS Dawan Landry(Ravens)
SS Gerald Sensabaugh(Jaguars)

I'm seriously still confused about that Brandon Jones signing
mad.gif

Why aren't the Niners considering Paul Runyan? Or even Harvey Dahl? They are solid O-line players.

There are a couple of solid DE in FA as well...

You aren't the only one puzzled by the Brandon Jones signing...

Sign Chris McAllister!

This might not be such a slam dunk for the Cardinals, after all.

The 49ers offered more money than the two-year, $23 million counter-proposal Warner's agent, Mark Bartelstein, took back to the Cardinals. Bartelstein says the deal contains $12 million in guarantees.

However, Kent Somers, a well-respected reporter who covers the Cardinals for the Arizona Republic, sheds more light on the deal. He cites a source who says Bartelstein was not counting the $7 million salary in the first year of the deal as guaranteed. Therefore, the Cardinals are being asked to guarantee $19 million on the two-year deal.

It's doubtful the Cardinals will agree to that proposal.

--To his credit, Shaun Hill said he is not getting caught up in all the talk about Warner. He said he is not sensitive to the fact the 49ers are pursuing another quarterback. He told me he can't control what's happening, so there's no use in letting it bother him. Coach Mike Singletary has stated repeatedly this offseason that he expects Hill and Alex Smith to take part in an offseason quarterback competition.

--******** free-agent defensive end Demetric Evans is currently visiting the 49ers' facility. It's a good bet that he will sign a deal with the club, perhaps as early as this afternoon.

--The 49ers appear to have some interest in signing free-agent Jason Taylor, whom the ******** released last week. Taylor declined to agree to take part in the ********' offseason program because he wanted to spend more time with his family. There is also some talk that Taylor might retire. Taylor will be 35 when the season begins. He has 12 years of NFL experience. He did not miss a game for eight consecutive seasons before last season, when he played 13 games. His 3.5 sacks with the ******** was the second-fewest for a season in his career.

--Contrary to some reports, the 49ers do not appear to be pursuing defensive end Marques Douglas, who did a good job with the team in his three seasons with the 49ers. The 49ers did not make a push to re-sign Douglas when he hit the free-agent market at the end of last season. The Ravens recently released Douglas after one season.

I don't know about the jason talyor thing but it might be worth a shot at least it wouldnt cost the 9ersany draft picks to see if he has anything left.

Though the Kurt Warner camp apparently is trying to get the Arizona Cardinals to think that the 49ers offered the free-agent quarterback considerably more than the amount the Cards have put on the table (aided by John Clayton of ESPN, who seems to be pushing whatever Mark Bartelstein is feeding him, and Mark Schlereth and Marcellus Wiley of ESPN's NFL Live, whose pro-Warner monologues merit them a piece of Bartelstein's fee), a league source tells us that the 49ers ultimately made "no real offer" to Warner.

We're not sure what that means, but we'll infer that it means the 49ers didn't offer anything significantly more than what the Cardinals already have on the table, since it's clear that if all things are equal Warner will stay in Arizona.

Meanwhile, for a guy who is trying to get market value, there still isn't much of a market for his services. Maybe being in his late 30s and having one of the best wideouts in a generation catching Kurt's passes is making people realize that there's still a gap between Warner and the truly elite NFL quarterbacks.

Though the Kurt Warner camp apparently is trying to get the Arizona Cardinals to think that the 49ers offered the free-agent quarterback considerably more than the amount the Cards have put on the table (aided by John Clayton of ESPN, who seems to be pushing whatever Mark Bartelstein is feeding him, and Mark Schlereth and Marcellus Wiley of ESPN's NFL Live, whose pro-Warner monologues merit them a piece of Bartelstein's fee), a league source tells us that the 49ers ultimately made "no real offer" to Warner.

We're not sure what that means, but we'll infer that it means the 49ers didn't offer anything significantly more than what the Cardinals already have on the table, since it's clear that if all things are equal Warner will stay in Arizona.

Meanwhile, for a guy who is trying to get market value, there still isn't much of a market for his services. Maybe being in his late 30s and having one of the best wideouts in a generation catching Kurt's passes is making people realize that there's still a gap between Warner and the truly elite NFL quarterbacks.

Pretty weak if true,
f4c251ce24ba7af448b2d8e7fe85f0b59840654.gif
I had read they offered a goodamount better then the cards 20 mil.

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

Kurt Warner is gonna stay in AZ
pimp.gif

Shaun Hill in '09

Kurt Warner was just using us as leverage, although the Niners said they never made an offer - I think they did
laugh.gif

It's time to get serious, alot of quality FA out there that we can use.

Let's goooo!

I have no problem with the Niners not signing Warner. We dont have the weapons, OLine or offensive coordinator to make him worth the money we would have paidhim.

Again, I dont understand why the Shaun Hill hasnt done enough to outright EARN the starting position. Also, yesterday Tolbert brought up some good points aboutdrafting a quarterback. If Stafford falls to us, and our brain trust really believe he is going to be great, we shouldnt let the Alex Smith mistake prevent usfrom drafting him. He also brought up a good point about the "good QBs can be found in later rounds" argument. Look at last years playoffs and lookat the Qbs in it. How many of them werent top picks? Just because there was a gem found in the late rounds with Brady, doesnt mean he is the model. Most greatquarterbacks were top picks. Period.

49ers on the verge of signing Damon Huard
roll.gif

I understand bringing in a veteran QB, but i hope Shaun Hill makes a case for him to win the starting job.

I getcha dland if a QB falls into our laps, but man that 10th pick is so valuable, i really want someone who'd be nfl ready and be ready to contribute tothis team.

btw, manny is back
smile.gif

pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom