Official San Francisco 49ers Off-Season Thread (5-7): Let's get ready for the Draft!

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Originally Posted by Dr 715

You think I'm angry based on 3 short sentences? That "Dr. Doogie" thing is getting tired. And I don't even know what that means.

I just think it sends the wrong message to a player who for the last 2 years stepped in and won ball games. Having a QB competition is dumb. Whomever wins ends up losing. A number of guys will be taking snaps with the first team, and thus the familiarity component won't be reached for a while.

Hill can win games but I don't see him taking us far into the playoffs. Realistically we don't have a QB on our roster that can do that and we haven't had one in a while. I cant believe people want Grossman. The QB who's thrown more interceptions than he has TDs in his career. HELL NO.
Grossman sucks, I dont want him on this team.
Im glad Alex is getting another chance, hes had the worst scenarios and luck with trying to live up to being the #1 pick. Injuries, lack of talent in the WRcorp, and a new OC/playbook every year really brought him down and hasnt really gave him a good oppurtunity to grow.

Bright.....I typically agree with stuff you say on NT.....but even bringing up the idea of Rex Grossman to the niners almost made me throw up. And it alsokinda put it in perspective. *thinking....wow are we really that bad where we are even thinking about Rex?!?*

Oh yeah bright....um......Manny comin up North?
nerd.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by NothingToL0se

Originally Posted by Dr 715

You think I'm angry based on 3 short sentences? That "Dr. Doogie" thing is getting tired. And I don't even know what that means.

I just think it sends the wrong message to a player who for the last 2 years stepped in and won ball games. Having a QB competition is dumb. Whomever wins ends up losing. A number of guys will be taking snaps with the first team, and thus the familiarity component won't be reached for a while.

Hill can win games but I don't see him taking us far into the playoffs. Realistically we don't have a QB on our roster that can do that and we haven't had one in a while. I cant believe people want Grossman. The QB who's thrown more interceptions than he has TDs in his career. HELL NO.
right.

this is coming from a guy who WANTS alex smith (19td 31int in his career) to start for the next season.
That's because I think Alex in the right situation is better than Hill. I've already said we don't have a QB that would take us anywhere, so if we are in search of a new QB it better be a legit one not some trigger happy JTO clone.

No head coach likes calling Hill the starter before the season(Singletary now and Nolan before) because he is not a good practice player and he doesn'tgive off the impression that he works hard every day. If hill changed his work ethic slightly and sucked up to Singletary a little bit, his job would be lockedup. Hill can win games, we have seen it time and time again. He is consistent, and he needs to be given a chance. Last year should have been his year fromstart to finish.

Originally Posted by thaSOLEful1

anyone know what FA niners are eying?

I think Bright Nikes posted the 9ers potential f/a plans a few pages back.
you could also check here

I also read that the 9ers are interested in re-acquiring Moran Norris

When interviewed live on ESPN, Houshmandzadeh stated that he does not yet know where he will be traveling tonight and is waiting to hear from his agent in the next few minutes. When asked which teams he would be interested in going to, San Francisco was not one of the teams mentioned. However, he did not yet know which teams his agent has spoken with.

Originally Posted by ady2glude707

When interviewed live on ESPN, Houshmandzadeh stated that he does not yet know where he will be traveling tonight and is waiting to hear from his agent in the next few minutes. When asked which teams he would be interested in going to, San Francisco was not one of the teams mentioned. However, he did not yet know which teams his agent has spoken with.

I'm pretty sure TJ is gonna sign elsewhere.

That's because I think Alex in the right situation is better than Hill
Not a chance in hell champ. Alex Smith throws 5 yard route passes into the ground, and he can't win games, you can't say the same inregards to Hill.

I'm pretty sure TJ is gonna sign elsewhere.

Great, I don't want that bum on our team, TJ is trash.

Originally Posted by dland24

Bright.....I typically agree with stuff you say on NT.....but even bringing up the idea of Rex Grossman to the niners almost made me throw up. And it also kinda put it in perspective. *thinking....wow are we really that bad where we are even thinking about Rex?!?*

Oh yeah bright....um......Manny comin up North?
nerd.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

laugh.gif
dland, it was just a thought. i'll still stick by it though. as far as manny, i hope the giants would come out of the bushes and throw an offer on thetable - if they can surpass $25M yr and increase the years, i will give the giants an enormous amount of props. but till then - he's still welcome inmanny-wood
devil.gif

FA Updates:
While San Francisco 49ers G.M. Scot McCloughan said on Thursday that the 49ers would not be busy in free agency, the team was obviously busy making some calls late Thursday and early Friday.

WR Brandon Jones

According to Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com, the 49ers will be hosting free agent wide receiver Brandon Jones on Friday (Titans). Wide receiver is a need for the team as Isaac Bruce ponders retirement and Bryant Johnson is receiving interest in free agency. Jones had 41 receptions for 449 yards and one touchdown last year for the Titans.

DE Demetric Evans

The 49ers are interested in free agent defensive end Demetric Evans (********) and have scheduled a visit with him in Santa Clara. Evans made 11 starts last season for the ******** and had 33 tackles and 3.5 sacks. He has 147 tackles and 13 sacks in seven NFL seasons.

FB Moran Norris

The 49ers are working to sign free agent fullback Moran Norris (Lions). Norris started 8 games for the Lions last season. 49ers fans remember him well because he played for the 49ers in 2006 and 2007.

DE Chris Canty

According to Albert Breer of SportingNews.com and Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean, free agent defensive end Chris Canty will visit the Washington ******** on Friday, Tennessee Titans on Saturday, Seattle Seahawks on Monday, and San Francisco 49ers at some point thereafter.

Canty started 48 straight games for the Cowboys during the last three seasons. He had 3 sacks in 2008.

DT Ronald Fields

It looks as though the 49ers may lose defensive lineman Ronald Fields. Fields has offers on the table from the Rams and the Broncos. Fields is expected to visit Denver this weekend or Monday.

QB Alex Smith

49ers quarterback Alex Smith has been asked to take a paycut to reduce his nearly $12.3 million in cap space. If Smith refuses, he'll likely be waived.
Niners target WR's, DL on first day of FA

On the first full day of free agency, the 49ers appear to be focusing on the defensive line and on receiver. Several reports have the 49ers scheduling a visit next week with Dallas defensive end Chris Canty, who is ideal for the 3-4 system the 49ers play. With Canty at end, the 49ers likely would slide either Isaac Sopoaga or Kentwan Balmer to nose tackle,. However, before Canty gets to San Francisco, he will visit the ********, Titans and Seahawks, all of whom have been aggressive early on.

FoxSports reports that Titans receiver Brandon Jones has planned a visit. Jones is an ex- Oklahoma Sooner who stands 6-1 and weighs 212 pounds. He's also young, 26, though he's started 27 games over a four-year stint in Tennessee. Last year, Jones caught 41 passes for 449 yards and a touchdown.

******** defensive end Demetric Evans is also planning a visit. This has been a 49ers strategy over the years: Target a team with little cap space and take advatnatge of the quality players they cut. That's what San Francisco did when it acquired CB Walt Harris a few years ago. Evans is 6-4, 287 and would be 30 before the season began. He's be a cheaper version of Canty.

Also, former 49ers fullback and friend of Frank Gore's, Moran Norris is scheduled for a visit. If Norris signs, it ought to cushion the blow when the 49ers inform Gore that he might be sharing carries this season.

Meanwhile, as reported last night 49ers are saying they are NOT one of the team's making a run at Cincinnati's T.J. Houshmandzadeh, who is the top receiver on the market. Houshmandzadeh was on NFL Live and listed the Seahawks, Eagles, Vikings and Giants as teams he'd like to play for in 2009.

8:21 a.m.: Brandon Jones is, indeed, scheduled to visit the 49ers. That has been confirmed. However, the 49ers have not (yet) arranged visits with Demetric Evans or Moran Norris.

8:28 a.m.: It should be added that Jones is visiting the 49ers today. This is, obviously, a sure sign the 49ers want to sign this guy. I don't think they've had a player in for a first-day visit and allowed him to leave without a contract.

8:57 a.m. The 49ers just agreed to terms to bring Allen Rossum back for another season. No word yet on the details of the deal. Rossum had one of the highest punt and kick-off return averages this season.

[h2]http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/real_scouts/entry/view/17559/niners_sign_moran_norris[/h2]
[h2]Niners Sign Moran Norris[/h2]
Friday, February 27, 2009

Posted By Mike Florio 1:02 PM

The San Francisco 49ers have agreed to terms with free-agent fullback Moran Norris, a league source tells PFT.

Per the source, Norris signed a three-year, $5 million contract, with $1.5 million guaranteed.

Norris was actually cut by the 49ers last August, and then signed with the Lions.

The move suggests that perhaps former Niners coach Mike Nolan didn't like Norris, and that G.M. Scot McCloughan did.

He also has played for the Saints and Texans as part of a nine-year career.

glad to have him back, even though he should have never been cut in the first place

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/020178.html
Niners agree to two-year deal with Spikes

3:26 p.m. Alex Marvez of Foxsports.com reports that the 49ers have agreed to terms with inside linebacker Takeo Spikes on a two-year contract. Spikes had an excellent season in 2008, finishing second on the team in tackles and pairing well with youngster Patrick Willis. Immediately after the season ended, Spikes spoke glowingly of Willis and the 49ers and said he wanted to return in 2009. The 49ers have not groomed any young players to play the "ted" linebacker spot Spikes played in 2008.

Spikes, 32, joined the team midway through training camp last year and signed a one-year deal. The 49ers also have agreed to terms with return man Allen Rossum and former fullback Moran Norris.

2:12 p.m. The 49ers are showing interest in another defensive end -- Kenny Peterson, who was drafted by the Packers in 2003 and who spent the last three years in Denver. Peterson, 30, seems to be similar in build, experience, etc. to Demetric Evans. Peterson, 6-3, 300 lbs., started one game for the Broncos last year as a DT in Denver's 4-3 scheme and had three sacks.

Source: Warner looks at options
ESPN.com news services

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Kurt Warner's agent declined to say whether his client had scheduled visits with any other teams now that the Arizona Cardinals quarterbackhas become a free agent.

"I really don't want to get into the specifics with that," Mark Bartelstein said. "Obviously, people are calling."

Warner's agent has had in-depth conversations with San Francisco 49ers officials, a source told Len Pasquarelli of ESPN.com.

Warner became a free agent Friday after he and the Cardinals failed to reach a deal on a new contract. The 37-year-old quarterback has made it clear that hewants to remain in Arizona for what probably would be the final two years of his career.

Bartelstein said he and the Cardinals continue to talk.

"Nothing's changed other than free agency has started," he said Friday evening. "It's an hour-by-hour situation is the best way I canput it."

Bartelstein said Warner deserves a salary to match his status after leading the unheralded Cardinals to the Super Bowl last season. The agent said that wouldbe an average of the top five paid players at his position, about $14.5 million.

But Warner's age -- he will be 38 when next season starts -- could hold down any interest in him and lower the amount he will be paid.

If he can't strike a deal in Arizona, Warner could end up playing against the Cardinals twice annually. The 49ers play in the NFC West, as do theCardinals.

The 49ers' woes at quarterback were thought to have been resolved when the team selected Alex Smith with the first overall pick in the 2005 draft. Butbecause of ineffectiveness and injuries, including a shoulder injury that required surgery last year, Smith's future in San Francisco is shaky.

San Francisco would likely have to pay Warner more than the $10 million to $12 million per year its offering. If Warner accepted an offer from the 49ers,economics along with the team's spotty quarterback play, would dictate that he go to the Bay Area as the starter.

The 49ers have used eight different starting quarterbacks the past three seasons, and landing Warner, even at his age, would provide much-needed stability atthe position.

Not sure about this but do like the Spikes and Rossum resigning

Warner would be real, real good, but he's only good for one or two more years, and given we want a "run-first" type offense we don't need aQB like him (as we should spend that money elsewhere). All we need is a QB that makes good throws and moves the chains, ala Shaun Hill.

i agree i not really to hype to get warner especially at the price he is asking. If they still had martz i could see why they are interested but personallywould rather spend that money getting some o line and pass rushing help

Back
Top Bottom