Official San Francisco 49ers Off-Season Thread (5-7): Let's get ready for the Draft!

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

some dude posted these on the niners forum..what do you guys think?
I think they should keep the helmets at they are

The Niners have classic uniforms, I hope the changes are minor.

Originally Posted by vctry20

Those unis are sick
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by vctry20

Those unis are sick
pimp.gif

Singletary gushes over TE Davis at Combine
By Dan Arkush
Feb. 25, 2009
No matter how hard he tries to avoid it, Niners head coach Mike Singletary is always going to come off as a bit intimidating. But at this year's Combine in Indianapolis, the Hall of Fame linebacker said he planned on being more of a father figure than a stern disciplinarian moving forward, with an emphasis on creating more of a family atmosphere among his players. With that in mind, PFW asked Singletary for an update on his relationship with TE Vernon Davis, whom he ordered off the field in his head-coaching debut last season after Davis was called for an ill-timed personal foul - and then dared to question the new head coach's decision. "Vernon is like my second son," Singletary told PFW with a genuine twinkle in his eye. "I felt that way when we had the incident to begin with. I love Vernon Davis, and I wish I had more (players) like him. He is just raw emotionally, and what you see is what you get. What he's feeling, you're gonna hear, and I love that about Vernon. I think as he continues to mature, he will become more and more special. I'm excited about him going forward, and you're going to be excited, too, after you see what he does."

[h4]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/49ers-working-to-restructure-Smith-s-contract?urn=nfl,144243[/h4]
[h4]49ers working to restructure Smith's contract[/h4]
It appears the San Francisco 49ers want Alex Smith back - if the price is right, of course. The San Francisco Chronicle reported the team is working with Smith on a contract that reflects his 2009 status as "a quarterback no longer considered the face of the franchise.''

Smith's current contract, from 2005, will pay him $9.625 million in base salary this year for a monster cap figure of $12,291,666.

"Discussions are ongoing," GM Scot McCloughan said. "We did draft him No. 1. He's been through a lot. He's learned from that. I still believe he's going to be a good quarterback in the NFL. We would welcome him back."

According to The Chronicle, Smith has said he is open to a restructured contract. Comments by McCloughan and coach Mike Singletary seem to indicate Smith will be a part of the 49ers this season. As well, new offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye reportedly faxed Smith the essentials of his playbook so he could study it in advance of spring meetings and minicamps.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/23/SPFB163BGV.DTL

I wish they would just wear the old ones. As far as Smith goes.....I havent seen a QB miss more open targets than he does. I know he didnt really get that fairof a chance, but he just isnt good.

alex smith will not amount to what he was picked as. it is time to move on. anyone who thinks otherwise is filled with delusions of grandeur and will notaccept that we drafted a bust with that pick.

^true but u cant say that hes had ZERO successes at the NFL level . . . there were bright spots under norv turners offense for alex
im not sayin he'll be a starting QB, but he can be a solid 2nd or 3rd stringer

Originally Posted by Poogibucker

^true but u cant say that hes had ZERO successes at the NFL level . . . there were bright spots under norv turners offense for alex
im not sayin he'll be a starting QB, but he can be a solid 2nd or 3rd stringer
yes, but as a 1st overall draft pick, he is a certified bust. that is my point. we are paying him money and investing time into not only a firstround, but first overall pick that "can be a solid 2nd or 3rd stringer"

how do you guys feel about rex grossman? he's bout to be released from the bears.

dude has a canon of an arm (even with the chicago winds), but he's too much a gun slinger and very turnover prone.

but, he wouldnt have the pressure like he did in chitown, and would compete with shaun hill & alex smith?

give him gore and another bruising back to keep the defense honest, could open some things up.

just a thought.

I always liked Grossman, i say we give it a shot... It wont hurt, cant be any worse than the way Aex Smith played...

Coles is an unrestricted free agent... What do you think about trying to get him, would it be worth it?

Shaun Hill gets no respect. Dude wins games and you guys are ready to give the reigns back to Alex %%@*%!% Smith and Rex Grossman? You've got to be kiddingme.

why are you always so angry?

If you kept up with this season thread, you'd know that their are plenty of shaun hill supporters (including myself), but when the organization (mike sing,mclough and co) have came out and stated shaun hill is not the starter and sing stated he will compete for a starting job and nothing is set in stone, thenyou'd think they'd bring someone in to compete with him.

I for one, believe shaun hill deserves a full year, if mike sing can get a full year of coaching, give a full year under center to Hill.

But dr. doogie, just relax man.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

If you kept up with this season thread, you'd know that their are plenty of shaun hill supporters (including myself), but when the organization (mike sing, mclough and co) have came out and stated shaun hill is not the starter and sing stated he will compete for a starting job and nothing is set in stone, then you'd think they'd bring someone in to compete with him.

I for one, believe shaun hill deserves a full year, if mike sing can get a full year of coaching, give a full year under center to Hill.

Lord knows I'm far from a Shaun hill fan but dudes does deserve to start this year....with that being said the team needs to drop A smith andpick up two more QB's in FA. If I had my choice it would be Grossman and Vick plus a draft a 3rd or 4th rd QB and start the season like this HILL/GROSSMANor VICK/ROOKIE

Originally Posted by ii FLaSh ii

I always liked Grossman, i say we give it a shot... It wont hurt, cant be any worse than the way Aex Smith played...

Coles is an unrestricted free agent... What do you think about trying to get him, would it be worth it?
maybe if we still had mike martz our OC. that would be a perfect fit...
but
mad.gif
we don't

I don't think Coles is worth it, it'd be nice to upgrade the WR corps, but depending at the cost. I'd still love to have Boldin but we knowit's not happening
frown.gif

You think I'm angry based on 3 short sentences? That "Dr. Doogie" thing is getting tired. And I don't even know what that means.

I just think it sends the wrong message to a player who for the last 2 years stepped in and won ball games. Having a QB competition is dumb. Whomever wins endsup losing. A number of guys will be taking snaps with the first team, and thus the familiarity component won't be reached for a while.

Originally Posted by Dr 715

You think I'm angry based on 3 short sentences? That "Dr. Doogie" thing is getting tired. And I don't even know what that means.

I just think it sends the wrong message to a player who for the last 2 years stepped in and won ball games. Having a QB competition is dumb. Whomever wins ends up losing. A number of guys will be taking snaps with the first team, and thus the familiarity component won't be reached for a while.

Hill can win games but I don't see him taking us far into the playoffs. Realistically we don't have a QB on our roster that can do that and wehaven't had one in a while. I cant believe people want Grossman. The QB who's thrown more interceptions than he has TDs in his career. HELL NO.

I just think it sends the wrong message to a player who for the last 2 years stepped in and won ball games. Having a QB competition is dumb. Whomever wins ends up losing. A number of guys will be taking snaps with the first team, and thus the familiarity component won't be reached for a while.

Hill can win games but I don't see him taking us far into the playoffs. Realistically we don't have a QB on our roster that can do that and we haven't had one in a while. I cant believe people want Grossman. The QB who's thrown more interceptions than he has TDs in his career. HELL NO.
right.

this is coming from a guy who WANTS alex smith (19td 31int in his career) to start for the nextseason.

Originally Posted by NothingToL0se

Hill can win games but I don't see him taking us far into the playoffs. Realistically we don't have a QB on our roster that can do that and we haven't had one in a while. I cant believe people want Grossman. The QB who's thrown more interceptions than he has TDs in his career. HELL NO.
right.

this is coming from a guy who WANTS alex smith (19td 31int in his career) to start for the next season.
That's because I think Alex in the right situation is better than Hill. I've already said we don't have a QB that would take usanywhere, so if we are in search of a new QB it better be a legit one not some trigger happy JTO clone.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

If you kept up with this season thread, you'd know that their are plenty of shaun hill supporters (including myself), but when the organization (mike sing, mclough and co) have came out and stated shaun hill is not the starter and sing stated he will compete for a starting job and nothing is set in stone, then you'd think they'd bring someone in to compete with him.

Get used to it. It's just how he posts. The Warrior thread guys know what I mean. Haha.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom