***Official Political Discussion Thread***

hmmm I dunno I get the sentiment... but seems like an odd thing to say in a purple trending red state

I have not been following the Dems primary in Florida but from the little I have seen, Val Demmings is 100% taking her Senate race seriously and is doing the best she can to win.

Crist seems like he really hates the Florida GOP. I mean he hated them a deacde ago when he left, but he really dislikes them now. And his campaign will mostly be about airing his grievances and not trying to win.

I will say it again. Florida would be better off if they elected the kinda corrupt dude who parties with meth head male prostitutes too much. He was clearly the best candidate Florida has had for a long while.

I wonder how much “added burden” will happen when boomer and Gen x dollars age out of the most active parts of the consumer base and all your left with are an increasing number of millennials and Gen z folks that can’t buy homes, barely afford rent, and can’t actively participate in the economy in ways everyone directly benefits from.

All those conservatives that work 200 hours a week at their blue collar jobs are going to be mighty disappointed when they have to sell their $90k pickups for penny’s on the dollar because even higher earning folk can’t afford sh*t.

Blue collar guys aren’t working 200 hours a week anymore either. The millennials/gen z in blue collar are the same as office ones.

We all no call no show when we’re tired or just flat out refuse to work and go home.

Construction industry doesn’t even know how to handle it. After 55 hours my check goes to taxes so I just leave. Let a salary supervisor scum finish the rest.

Christ, my fiance coworkers are already drinking the right wing spin and complaining that the student loan relief is going to be funded by tax payers :smh:

1661375367125.jpeg

i graduated dec 2019, right before COVID. I will be student loan debt-free:nthat:

If student debt relief were a giveaway to the wealthy, it would have been done years ago and people like Larry Summers would support it.

Does this do enough? Of course not, any society that has educational debt is a failed one. At the same time, look at all the constraints that Biden faced. Donors, conservatives, centrists, even a lot of older Democrats are opposed to any student debt relief. And yet, there will be debt relief as well as a much more realistic and humane repayment schedule.

If you want to live in a truly decent country, you’ll need a totally new system. But in the meanwhile, a Democratic politician did something quite good within the confines of a horrid system. Politicians like to get re-elected and it’s a good idea to vote for them in 2022 and let them know that helping a group that is disproportionately young and poor can benefit you politically. If you want our electoral politics to be less centered around “suburban” swing voters, then vote like those older, affluent voters do.

Christ, my fiance coworkers are already drinking the right wing spin and complaining that the student loan relief is going to be funded by tax payers :smh:

My girl telling me WaPo told her complete cancellation would raise inflation and got mad when I told her they’re a corporatist Bezos owned paper spitballing right wing talking points. She thinks I’m on some tinfoil hat ish now because the post and ny times are supposed to be lIbErAl.

My girl telling me WaPo told her complete cancellation would raise inflation and got mad when I told her they’re a corporatist Bezos owned paper spitballing right wing talking points. She thinks I’m on some tinfoil hat ish now because the post and ny times are supposed to be lIbErAl.

Whenever you give people more money without any corresponding increase in output, there could be an increase in inflation. When you print money to hire a lot more cops, give out PPP loans, spend even more money on military hardware, you could increase inflation.

So it’s hard to say that student debt relief will cause zero inflation. What’s important are two things.

One, will it cause a noticeable increase in inflation? Unlikely, because a lot of the money freed up by student debt relief will go into savings.

Two, is the modest cost worth it? Ultimately that’s subjective but I think it’s worth it, you think that’s the case, a lot of people think it’s the case.

Whether it’s student debt relief, climate change prevention, providing publicly funded healthcare, or any other program that helps marginalized people and working people, everything has some sort of cost and it’s best to avoid playing into the conservative line of argument that we shouldn’t do socially beneficial things just because it’s not totally without cost.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom