***Official Political Discussion Thread***

The 22 year old in 2020, who wisely incurred debt to get a marketable electrical engineering degree, may get a 90k job offer from Raytheon but will get laid off in 2022 when the DoD budget gets cut.

Sure but then he should be able to find a job in commercial at commercial supplier/subcontractor for commercial airplanes since that industry is cyclical. Also - I think you’re misinterpreting how the DoD budget would affect said engineer. If Raytheon already has a contract in place, he’d be fine through non-recurring product development, production support and then there’s always going to be sustainment. He wouldn’t take the hit until later when the trickle down effect of fewer air and space contracts hits the industry. The private sector of that industry also tends to eliminate workforce by enticing the older folks to leave first so they can keep the youth (labor is also cheaper).

Sure but then he should be able to find a job in commercial at commercial supplier/subcontractor for commercial airplanes since that industry is cyclical. Also - I think you’re misinterpreting how the DoD budget would affect said engineer. If Raytheon already has a contract in place, he’d be fine through non-recurring product development, production support and then there’s always going to be sustainment. He wouldn’t take the hit until later when the trickle down effect of fewer air and space contracts hits the industry. The private sector of that industry also tends to eliminate workforce by enticing the older folks to leave first so they can keep the youth (labor is also cheaper).

Forgive me, I teach elementary economics, in both a classroom and at cocktail parties, I describe issues in very, very simple terms. You are right, it's not like contractors will be up and running one day and will shut down the next.

The broader point is that STEM fields of study are not inherently valuable and liberal arts are not inherently useless. There is more than some infallible market clearly and perpetually rendering judgement on what is good and what is bad. There are elements of sociology and public policy which play a role in setting wages.

Forgive me, I teach elementary economics, in both a classroom and at cocktail parties, I describe issues in very, very simple terms. You are right, it's not like contractors will be up and running one day and will shut down the next.

The broader point is that STEM fields of study are not inherently valuable and liberal arts are not inherently useless. There is more than some infallible market clearly and perpetually rendering judgement on what is good and what is bad. There are elements of sociology and public policy which play a role in setting wages.

Would it be more accurate to say perpetually rendering judgement on what’s valuable and what’s not valuable as opposed to what is good and what is bad? I could be misinterpreting your statement, though. I do agree that sociology and public policy t do play a role in setting wages. I truly do waffle back and forth on this topic. I do what I can to promote STEM and then let the chips fall where they may.

there are definitely some fields and skills that translate and generalize better than others. or, to be more broad, there are fields where those that make it through are likely to be better at other things as well, on average (due to selection bias).

that said, I can see rex's point.

I think the standout programmer will always do well but your run-of-the-mill computer scientist, while they can make 6 figures now, will be eventually replaced by robots as easily as a truck driver or assembly line worker.

it's also not too far-fetched to imagine a future where all the stem jobs are done by machines and computers and instead the most sought after human worker is the formerly starving artist and other arts degrees.

it's also not too far-fetched to imagine a future where all the stem jobs are done by machines and computers

While I’m a firm believer in automation (not necessarily AI), I think the human will always have a role albeit reduced (which I believe is your point) but really can’t gauge by how much. I know they are trying to automate manufacturing but the problem with that has been scale. Sure you can do it for something like a drone or a car but as the product gets larger and larger they’ve been running into more problems. It’s like the Bloomberg and farming thing. People might think they’re just drilling holes but the precision with which they perform said operations is insane so programming robots and machines to that is going to take a long time (at scale).

ff4faivr1oi41.jpg

So relevant given the trip to India right now :lol:,Modi did his homework

2020 not 2016. You ain’t even read the damn article :lol:

Calm down, goofy.

Funny how when Bernie is in the show, the Russian influences are low...

but when Hill-dawg is running, da Russians are the most capable techies in the world.. enough to shift a global super powers election.

So da Russians just decided to stop meddling ? They’re not doing anything to keep their “guy” in power?

:rolleyes :rolleyes

Calm down, goofy.

but when Hill-dawg is running, da Russians are the most capable techies in the world.. enough to shift a global super powers election.

So da Russians just decided to stop meddling ? They’re not doing anything to keep their “guy” in power?

That’s not what the article says either that there are operating to interfere the exact same as before but maybe with different motives as they are saying they don’t have the evidence yet to know their motive
The US intelligence community has assessed that Russia is interfering in the 2020 election and has separately assessed that Russia views Trump as a leader they can work with. But the US does not have evidence that Russia's interference this cycle is aimed at reelecting Trump, the officials said.

The article is not saying that there are interfering less this time but they will be interfering again but maybe for a different goal because “the US does not have evidence that Russia’s interference this cycle is aimed at re-electing Donald Trump”

We believe that when a company is not effectively addressing a material issue, its directors should be held accountable. Last year BlackRock voted against or withheld votes from 4,800 directors at 2,700 different companies. Where we feel companies and boards are not producing effective sustainability disclosures or implementing frameworks for managing these issues, we will hold board members accountable. Given the groundwork we have already laid engaging on disclosure, and the growing investment risks surrounding sustainability, we will be increasingly disposed to vote against management and board directors when companies are not making sufficient progress on sustainability-related disclosures and the business practices and plans underlying them

This made my day. One of the largest funds in the world is now threatening corporate boards by telling them they will withdraw funds from their company and vote against them on board matters if they don't take sufficient action on climate change.

I was wondering why companies like Delta, Microsoft, and Amazon suddenly came out with climate plans. This is likely why. This fellas is definable progress.

Calm down, goofy.

You do realize this is a GOP-controlled narrative so you’re comparing apples and oranges.

2016: Hillary and the Democrats saying Russians interfered for Trump with strong evidence backing said claim and Trump denying/ignoring it. Dems persist.

2020: Trump and GOP saying Russians interfered on behalf of Bernie and Bernie says he doesn’t want their help and they shouldn’t be involved in our elections. GOP walks back claims.

Do you see the difference?

Seeing some Natsec voices bring up an old Bern interview from his Senate campaign in 1974 where he called for the abolishment of the CIA like that wouldn't be a popular proposition with a lot of folks is :lol:

Only people I've ever seen stan the CIA irl are either actual natsec/defense industry employees or 'law and order' types who would likely never vote Dem regardless...

Calm down, goofy.

You can't be this loud, proud, and low information.

Do better my dude

Calm down, goofy.

I don't even know how you're concocting this sloppily thought out theory based on the information that is out there. And you're essentially calling our intelligence agencies liars, much like Trump himself does. Do better, man.

Never knew Sanders tried to primary Obama in 2011.

"The low point between the two men was a 2013 meeting with other Democratic senators. Obama had just put a chained Consumer Price Index in his budget, a proposal that would cut Social Security benefits by tying them to the rate of inflation. Many Senate Democrats were angry about it. But when they arrived for the meeting, it was Sanders who bubbled up, ripping into Obama for giving in to Republicans and not understanding the impact of the cuts."

“I don’t need a lecture,” Obama told him, according to several senators who attended the meeting.

Sanders proceeded to give him one anyway. A number of the senators there were struck by what they told me seemed like a lack of respect.

“Obama fairly forcefully pushed back and said, ‘That’s just not right—that’s not a vision that’s enactable or possible,’” one senator in the room recalled, asking for anonymity to discuss the private meeting. “‘You’re acting like I’m the enemy.’ Obama was trying to say, ‘I hear you that you want this revolution, but explain to me, how’s this going to happen? Look at the current makeup of the Senate and the House. How am I supposed to lead?’” Obama said, in this senator’s memory. The conversation quickly got testy. “It seemed the match of someone who prided himself on his cool intellect and removed analysis versus someone who was convinced with absolute ferocity with the rightness of his worldview and is not given to accepting anything from those who don’t agree with it.”

The author of that story backpedaled on that story hours after posting :lol:

He might've been deadset against any sort of Social Security cuts but I highly doubt a primary challenge was ever an actual possibility or serious thought back then and apparently so does Harry Reid :lol:

Before Bernie supporters flip out. Know that Bernie denies parts of that article, and says he never seriously considered primarying Obama.

But it is no secret that Bams and Bernie had dust ups.

Back
Top Bottom