***Official Political Discussion Thread***

How Sway????

“We need a president who knows how cities run,” Turner said. “It’s why I’m proud to endorse Mike for president, and I look forward to sending him to Washington in November.”

"As mayor, Mike Bloomberg embraced New York’s diversity and made smart investments that brought better infrastructure and greater opportunity. We need a president who will help create economic opportunity in neighborhoods that have historically been overlooked. Mike Bloomberg knows cities can go farther when leaders are responsive to concerns. We cannot allow American cities to be divided into haves and have nots. We must do the hard work of overhauling our nation’s infrastructure so citizens can go about their lives more efficiently.”

- Mayor Sylvester Turner

Harvey_Tale_of_Two_Politicians_79374.jpg-50b15_c0-0-2400-1399_s885x516.jpg

The endorsement comes as Bloomberg is scheduled to be in Houston on Thursday night to launch a new initiative called Mike for Black America, which is supposed to help address issues important to the black community and boost voter turnout. Bloomberg is announcing that program just after 8 p.m. at the Buffalo Soldiers National Museum at 3816 Caroline St.

Last edited:
Don't know if posted, but hope more states take part

"The National Popular Vote Interstate Compact will guarantee the Presidency to the candidate who receives the most popular votes across all 50 states and the District of Columbia. The Compact ensures that every vote, in every state, will matter in every presidential election. The Compact is a state-based approach that preserves the Electoral College, state control of elections, and the power of the states to control how the President is elected.

The National Popular Vote bill has been enacted by 16 jurisdictions possessing 196 electoral votes, including 4 small states (DE, HI, RI, VT), 8 medium-sized states (CO, CT, MD, MA, NJ, NM, OR, WA), 3 big states (CA, IL, NY), and the District of Columbia. The bill will take effect when enacted by states with 74 more electoral votes. The bill has passed at least one chamber in 9 additional states with 88 more electoral votes (AR, AZ, ME, MI, MN, NC, NV, OK, VA). A total of 3,408 state legislators from all 50 states have endorsed it.

The shortcomings of the current system of electing the President stem from “winner-take-all” laws that have been enacted by state legislatures in 48 states. These laws award all of a state’s electoral votes to the candidate receiving the most popular votes in each state.

Because of these state winner-take-all statutes, presidential candidates have no reason to pay attention to the issues of concern to voters in states where the statewide outcome is a foregone conclusion. In 2012, as shown on the map, all of the 253 general-election campaign events were in just 12 states, and two-thirds were in just 4 states (Ohio, Florida, Virginia, and Iowa). Thirty-eight states were completely ignored."

It is. He said all Bahamians aren’t black so it was confusing to me. He didn’t say I’m black. You’ve said it. And I have no issue with that.

On numerous separate occasions I have specifically said I am black and/or a Bahamian

I even explained how I found out just how black I was when I went to boarding school in Jacksonville for high school

which also reminds me the circumstances that made me point out why I told you specifically that I went to high school and college in Florida

you tried to tell me that I don’t know about the south in America

as I’ve explained to dwalk31 dwalk31 many times

while the Bahamas is overwhelmingly black, being that over 70% of our population is black

we do have many Bahamians who are not black, we also have far too many who deny that they are black

I have no idea what this has to do with the discussion.

I’m not calling you white. Or anything else. When I suggested it, I said my bad and now I’m operating as you being a black man from the Bahamas.

What’s the issue?

To try and make this synonymous with someone saying they are going to still call me white, after I said I’m black, is laughable.

And, if it was done by someone on the other side of the aisle would get treated much differently.

I suspect a lot of other conservatives avoid this thread because of these antics.

Unlike them, I don’t think it’s a good idea to submit to censorship to avoid difficult conversations. I take no issue with not having the most popular opinion in this thread.

Here’s the thing. On forums around America this same energy is given to conservatives. Banning from threads, calling people deplorable, black people white, etc. But that doesn’t keep them from voting in November.

Perhaps, if those in here truly feel strongly about their political stances, that would be enough without the name-calling and other nonsense that is probably a huge reason why Hillary lost. Just my .02.

On numerous separate occasions I have specifically said I am black and/or a Bahamian

I even explained how I found out just how black I was when I went to boarding school in Jacksonville for high school

which also reminds me the circumstances that made me point out why I told you specifically that I went to high school and college in Florida

you tried to tell me that I don’t know about the south in America

Dude, what’s the issue? I said my bad because I didn’t remember that convo that feels like it was over a year ago. I’m reminded now.

Also re: Jacksonville Florida, most people don’t really include Florida in the Deep South discussion despite it being technically a southern state.

Florida’s culture is quite a bit different than say Ga, Al, and Ms.

But even when you told me that, I said my bad. It’s like you’re acting like I’m calling you white or saying you’re lying or something. I’m not.

He don't believe you're black. He can speak for himself.

And, as I said, that’s a very different scenario than me saying my bad to someone after I implied they were white.

A different scenario that is treated much differently in here, ostensibly because of the side of the aisle he falls on.

If, say, I did it... it’d be page upon page asking that I be banned. And talks of how it drags down the very very serious nature of the memes in this thread.

Comical.

And, as I said, that’s a very different scenario than me saying my bad to someone after I implied they were white.

A different scenario that is treated much differently in here, ostensibly because of the side of the aisle he falls on.

If, say, I did it... it’d be page upon page asking that I be banned. And talks of how it drags down the very very serious nature of the memes in this thread.

Comical.
Yikes

I
White Supremacist Groups Expand Propaganda Efforts, Report Finds
They have a renewed emphasis on spreading their message through pamphlets and stickers, often on college campuses, as large public protests diminish.

merlin_164864619_77ea96d0-fda1-49de-87d3-0d625761468e-articleLarge.jpg

Syracuse University students staged sit-ins in response to racist incidents on campus last year, including vandalism and reports of slurs.

Syracuse University students staged sit-ins in response to racist incidents on campus last year, including vandalism and reports of slurs.Credit...Carolyn Thompson/Associated Press
Adeel Hassan
By Adeel Hassan
  • Feb. 12, 2020
They are a staple of any college campus: leaflets, posters and stickers promoting clubs, meetings and parties.
From afar, they look innocuous — and most are. But upon closer inspection, a growing number are promoting white supremacist propaganda such as “America Is Not for Sale,” “One Nation Against Invasion” and “Reclaim America.”
The distribution of such propaganda on college and university campuses nearly doubled last year, to 630 reported incidents from 320 in 2018, the Anti-Defamation League documented in a report released Wednesday. There were 410 reported incidents in the fall semester, it said, more than double any previous college term since the organization began its tally in 2016.
The Anti-Defamation League attributed part of the increase to greater vigilance from those reporting the propaganda.

“This is all about optics and entry points to a broader white supremacist movement,” said Oren Segal, vice president of the Anti-Defamation League’s Center on Extremism. “We need to understand that there is a connection, ideologically, from a piece of propaganda on these campuses to an attack in our communities.”

The proliferation of propaganda can be traced to the white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Va., in 2017 that turned deadly when a man drove into a crowd of counterprotesters, said Brian Levin, the director of the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University, San Bernardino.
“After Charlottesville, white supremacist organizations were left reeling and splintered organizationally by adverse publicity, doxxing and legal woes,” Mr. Levin said. He added, “Pamphlets and stickers represent the biggest little bang for the buck, enabling them to stir the pot somewhat, but with little risk of arrest.”

While a few alt-right groups still publicly protest, he said, most have increased their internet activity; others have shifted underground, using smaller encrypted online platforms.
Mr. Levin said the propaganda intertwined hard-core racism with wedge issues like immigration to appeal to disenfranchised white people, particularly on school campuses.

The Anti-Defamation League data shows that white supremacist propaganda is growing across the country, not only on college campuses. A total of 2,713 cases, an average of more than seven per day, were reported nationwide last year, compared with 1,214 in 2018. The highest activity was reported in California, Texas and New York. But every state except Hawaii reported at least one incident.
Two-thirds of the incidents were attributed to the Texas-based Patriot Front, whose missives — like “Not Stolen Conquered” — are dressed up in red, white and blue and reflect the belief that their ancestors conquered America and granted it to them alone. The Patriot Front, the American Identity Movement and the New Jersey European Heritage Association were responsible for approximately 90 percent of the activity, the report said.
Over a 48-hour span in Chicago in late September and early October, the Patriot Front barraged Wilbur Wright College, Moody Bible Institute and Northeastern Illinois University with messages, according to the Anti-Defamation League’s data.
“In some ways, it’s one of the most basic forms of spreading hateful narratives and spreading anxiety in communities,” said Mr. Segal of the Anti-Defamation League. “Fundamentally, these are violent extremist movements. That’s why we feel that it’s important to document this. The stakes are too high.”

The F.B.I. director, Christopher Wray, told the House Judiciary Committee last week that violent extremists motivated by race were now considered a “national threat priority” equivalent to foreign terrorist organizations such as ISIS.
Extremist groups are doubling down to amplify their public activities, which are happening less frequently, Mr. Segal said. A flier posted on an online forum can resonate with some people, he said, motivating them to post physical propaganda in their community that spreads hateful narratives and anxiety.
“Their ideas are seeping in,” he said.

Appreciate Keeping up with the comedy brehs. I’m in riviera maya Mexico for my honeymoon and it’s making for some good reading pool side.

on a side note, as Dems narrow down the candidates this whole race is starting to feel more and more about what white people want. Buttigieg hasn’t given me any Indication that he’s going to surround himself with a cabinet that’s gonna get work done for black people and people of color

Back
Top Bottom