***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Modern voter suppression traces back to the Southern Strategy.

The targets of those efforts are primarily black Americans, which points to 2 clear intertwined motives. Race and the fact that black Americans largely vote Democratic. An additional factor is the target’s susceptibility to such efforts.

Minority groups in general are the key targets but Republican legislatures benefit the most from specifically targeting black voters.

In the multitude of court rulings and consent decrees rebuking the GOP for such efforts, the primary target is virtually guaranteed to be black Americans.

Due to the voting patterns of minority groups, Democrats would primarily hurt their own electoral chances by engaging in the same practices. What they can do is engage in political gerrymandering, though they do so on a much smaller scale than their Republican counterparts.

The modern United States of America traces back to the The Atlantic slave trade. And systematic and systemic oppression of people that look like me.

None of that is disputed, by me.

giphy.gif

The modern United States of America traces back to the The Atlantic slave trade. And systematic and systemic oppression of people that look like me.

None of that is disputed, by me.
Slavery is what built the US, literally.

My point about modern voter suppression efforts is that Republican political strategists in the Nixon era devised a very specific electoral strategy centered around white identity politics, flaring up racial tensions and voter suppression primarily targeting minority groups. They dubbed it the Southern Strategy, based on the idea that attempts to gain more than a small percentage of the black vote were a lost cause and that therefore, the strategy should focus on consolidating the white vote, particularly in the south.

Due to evolving demographics over time, voter suppression efforts became became an increasingly key component of Republicans' electoral strategies. In the digital age, those efforts also became increasingly efficient due to a much better capacity to collect data on the targeted groups and decades of experimentation to maximize effectiveness.

Last edited:
good to know that the problems faced by black people are not your problem since

I also did not say that.

Every person in the United States of America cannot vote, in US elections, for various reasons.

But black people in America can vote.

I didn’t say anything was not my problem. You are creating a false narrative.

Funny how discussions about restricting the non-white (specifically Black) vote NEVER seem to happen when a Democrat political strategist dies.

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth, and you think we don't see it.

I feel like this should be a way bigger story. I haven’t heard anything about this.

Okay, I'll concede the point. I just want to add one important qualification. You originally made a claim about change over time (ie. the same-ness of Bernie's support among non-white voters). You then provided a poll that did not demonstrate this; it measured the extent to which Democratic voters were leaning one way or the other. After I replied, you (rightly) explained that I was comparing apples to oranges. But even then you did not provide any evidence in support of your point about change/time. You mostly provided some conjectures.

I don't want to quibble (especially given that this post is likely to drop off the table. Hell, the exchange already seems so long ago). I've already learned something new (that undecided non-white voters are leaning more towards Bernie than others. Time for me to knock on doors :nthat:).
Conjecture :lol:

Ok my dude.

For years now have Bernie supporters in here been trying to say I either make up stuff about Sanders or are operating on false or incomplete info, so it is whatever to me.

You know you could look up 2016 for yourself, but here is a jumping off point, knock yourself my g....

https://www.cnn.com/election/2016/primaries/polls/al/Dem

Back
Top Bottom