***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Transcript shows it actually in favor of Romney

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/wp/2012/10/16/fact-check-libya-attack/

How you got that from the transcript confuses me.....Mitt acted like it was a "gotcha" moment, it wasnt, its about the context he used, the president said:

"As Americans, let us never, ever forget that our freedom is only sustained because there are people who are willing to fight for it, to stand up for it, and in some cases, lay down their lives for it. Our country is only as strong as the character of our people and the service of those both civilian and military who represent us around the globe.

No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for. Today we mourn four more Americans who represent the very best of the United States of America. We will not waver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act. And make no mistake, justice will be done.".

...then later the administration said it was a terrorist attack, small technicality but the President was right there.

You don't need an education to be successful. Does it help? Yes. But it's not necessary.

There is this misconception that if you go to college and get that degree that you will be successful. And that just isn't the case.

All this does is put people in debt and fatten up the pockets of the lenders.

I'm not knocking an edcaution, I'm just saying that it isn't the end all be all.

Like my boss told me once there are for parts to a successful career. Education, Experience, Skills, Network. In time the importance of each will shift (some increasing, some decreasing) but Network is always at the top.

If all four are good you'll be fine. If you only got three then they better be great. You you only got two then they better be amazing. If you only got one your screwed, unless you are some sort of genius

Problem is that kids these days only focus on the Education and F themselves.

No.... The Words "acts of terror" is saying terrorism...
Grasping for straws

he was talking about acts of terror as a whole and in fact in the prior paragraphs he commented on 9/11/01. He did not call the act in libya terrorism

How you got that from the transcript confuses me.....Mitt acted like it was a "gotcha" moment, it wasnt, its about the context he used, the president said:
"As Americans, let us never, ever forget that our freedom is only sustained because there are people who are willing to fight for it, to stand up for it, and in some cases, lay down their lives for it. Our country is only as strong as the character of our people and the service of those both civilian and military who represent us around the globe.
No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for. Today we mourn four more Americans who represent the very best of the United States of America. We will not waver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act. And make no mistake, justice will be done.".
...then later the administration said it was a terrorist attack, small technicality but the President was right there.

But he did not call the attack in libya an act of terror if he did why did his press secretary and UN ambassador go on all the morning political talk shows calling it a protest

LOL they called it terror 2 weeks later

Last edited:

But he did not call the attack in libya an act of terror if he did why did his press secretary go on all the morning political talk shows calling it a protest

LOL they called it terror 2 weeks later

But the context is all that matters, you know what he meant he didn't mean 9/11 only. He said it very soon after the attacks happened, he was saying any acts of terror, including this most recent one....its a small thing but Mitt was acting like "AHA!!!" I caught you....when in reality if he read it he'd know that was not a "gotcha" moment whatsoever

Like?

EDIT: Tthis isn't about race but I want to know where the advantages are for us minorities?
This is from my personal experiences, not trying to generalize here.

-College acceptance. A lot more colleges are trying to have a more "mixed" student body.
-Jobs, especially in the sciences. I have a ton of female engineering friends who had no trouble finding internships/co ops in the last 2 years. Female engineers and female scientists are in high demand

Not right nor wrong, this is just what I have observed
You say as if there is no white privilege. As if there is absolutely no bias to those who govern acceptances at colleges and hiring workers.That isn't the case.

Not of them are bias but there are some who are. AA and other minority equality legislature is a check for those who are bias.

But the context is all that matters, you know what he meant he didn't mean 9/11 only. He said it very soon after the attacks happened, he was saying any acts of terror, including this most recent one....its a small thing but Mitt was acting like "AHA!!!" I caught you....when in reality if he read it he'd know that was not a "gotcha" moment whatsoever

Ive said multiple times that you can use a play on words for both sides so yes i agree with you it wasnt the real gotcha moment

You say as if there is no white privilege. As if there is absolutely no bias to those who govern acceptances at colleges and hiring workers.That isn't the case.
Not of them are bias but there are some who are. AA and other minority equality legislature is a check for those who are bias.

Come on now you cant be reasonable and not think that white people have vastly superior advantages to minorities as a whole

Sorry it didnt quote the whole conversation this was in response to the person stating that minorites had advantages

Last edited:
Never said there is no white privilege because there is PLENTY of that. I'm just tired of dudes acting like they are 100% completely oppressed due to their race which is down right not true. Like I said, there are areas in society where being a minority has it's advantages. And the two I listed I feel very strongly and confident with my answer

As a whole, yes white people are at an advantage. Yes, people of race and the female gender are generally at a disadvantage. But there are instances when it does have its advantages. 

And that is why I made sure I CLEARLY stated that my two points was NOT a generalization but an observation. Because I knew it would open up a whole can of worms lol

Last edited:

Come on now you cant be reasonable and not think that white people have vastly superior advantages to minorities as a whole
When did I say vastly or superior? People talk about AA like every single minority gets in no matter what their GPA is.

Son, you've been proven wrong throughout this thread and trying to nitpick. Your boy got his BS called out and you try to reach for every straw to prove your imaginary point.

When did I say vastly or superior? People talk about AA like every single minority gets in no matter what their GPA is.
Son, you've been proven wrong throughout this thread and trying to nitpick. Your boy got his BS called out and you try to reach for every straw to prove your imaginary point.

Reading is fundamental I was agreeing with you

Where was i proven wrong?

There are multiple other times where Obama was directly asked if it was an act of terrorism and he said we are still investigating

Last edited:

Never said there is no white privilege because there is PLENTY of that. I'm just tired of dudes acting like they are 100% completely oppressed due to their race which is down right not true. Like I said, there are areas in society where being a minority has it's advantages. And the two I listed I feel very strongly and confident with my answer

As a whole, yes white people are at an advantage. Yes, people of race and the female gender are generally at a disadvantage. But there are instances when it does have its advantages. 

And that is why I made sure I CLEARLY stated that my two points was NOT a generalization but an observation. Because I knew it would open up a whole can of worms lol
Can of worms it did open but you are aware of the disadvantages so I retract my statement towards you. Those who not upset me and I've met so many, might have jumped the gun.

100% oppression is laughable though even I will say no. But it's not a easy path either way and we both agree.

Sorry
miller-scott-awkward-dap.gif

Last edited:
You know who killed Romney tonight? The moderator when she mentioned Romney's lies regarding Libya.

Good performance by the President.

Also, Romney could have saved himself the uppercut had he not blamed Obama's campaign for his 47% **** up. They didn't make up the 47% thing, Romney was caught on tape saying it. It wasn't the administration twisting his words. It was how he truly feels about that 47%. No one is painting Romney any different than he has painted himself.

Also, I know it has been mentioned, but I love the fact that the President can't come across as an angry black man, yet Romney is able to, let's be honest, run over a moderator.

I hope women's rights get mentioned more in the next debate. I want Romney to be exposed on his weekly flip flopping in those regards.

Reading is fundamental I was agreeing with you

Where was i proven wrong?

There are multiple other times where Obama was directly asked if it was an act of terrorism and he said we are still investigating
LOL mis-read that
but

Its in the transcript.

It was a speech about the attack on Libya where he talks about 9/11 and refers to acts of terror. Does he have to say "the terrorist attack on Libya"

Why is Romney trying to slam this issue though? This is the nit picking and reaching I'm talking about.

Can of worms it did open but you are aware of the disadvantages so I retract my statement towards you. Those who not upset me and I've met so many, might have jumped the gun.
100% oppression is laughable though even I will say no. But it's not a easy path either way and we both agree.
Sorry
miller-scott-awkward-dap.gif
laugh.gif
 I'm Filipino and there have been times where it has been worst because of my race, and more often than others. But a lot of good has come to me because of my race.

LOL mis-read that
but
Its in the transcript.
It was a speech about the attack on Libya where he talks about 9/11 and refers to acts of terror. Does he have to say "the terrorist attack on Libya"
Why is Romney trying to slam this issue though? This is the nit picking and reaching I'm talking about.

I agree based on the transcript alone you can spin the comments both ways the issue arises when you look at Obamas statements at the UN on talk shows and statements by his UN ambassador and press secretary.

You know who killed Romney tonight? The moderator when she mentioned Romney's lies regarding Libya.

Good performance by the President.

Also, Romney could have saved himself the uppercut had he not blamed Obama's campaign for his 47% **** up. They didn't make up the 47% thing, Romney was caught on tape saying it. It wasn't the administration twisting his words. It was how he truly feels about that 47%. No one is painting Romney any different than he has painted himself.
 That's not true. He did say those 47% are reliant on government and think of themselves as victims, but it was clear he was talking about campaign strategy when he said he doesn't need to worry about them, yet it's been painted as him saying he doesn't care about the 47%. They use that truncated sound byte in attack ads and push the "rich guy who doesn't care about poor people" narrative.

Last edited:
I was just thinking, I actually wish the President WOULD have mentioned the 47% thing at a time when Romney could have responded. I wanted to hear him sidestep. I wanted to hear an apology or an excuse. That may have been more effective.

As a whole for me the debate was a toss up. Both sides came out strong. Obama ended with a great point and it always helps to get the last word

Its just funny how both sides are going to try to paint it as a clear win for their side.

That's not true. He did say those 47% are reliant on government and think of themselves as victims, but it was clear he was talking about campaign strategy when he said he doesn't need to worry about them, yet it's been painted as him saying he doesn't care about the 47%. They use that truncated sound byte in attack ads and push the "rich guy who doesn't care about poor people" narrative.

I don't see that as any different, to be honest. Saying people consider themselves as 'victims' is the most damning of what he said in any context.

Back
Top Bottom