***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Ninja really just can't admit to being wrong 
roll.gif

He
Hold up. Isn't you guys election in like 2 more years?

So he was too lazy to learn French to become PM? :lol:

Famb could be fluent by the end of the year if he took it seriously

He's lazy and not very smart...Plus you gotta campaign in Quebec during the lead up and if his french was shaky that would just be an embarrassing L waiting to happen.

Remember when they said Trump was for the working class/blue collar folks

I remember

If you have worked the type of jobs that put you in constant contact with the well heeled (think high end retail, valet, livery), you know that many of them would rather not have to deal with the leeches - you.

The problem is, those jobs simply don't't exist in small town/rural America, and the rich, urban-gated-community-living conservatives can go down there every election season and lie to them about how much they will work for the poor and working class by cutting their - the wealthy's - taxes.
It's the US equivalent of African politicians going around villages every election season with goats and cows, talking about "vote for me, and there'll be more" knowing full well that they won't be around until their term is over and they need your votes again.

He
Hold up. Isn't you guys election in like 2 more years?

So he was too lazy to learn French to become PM? :lol:

Famb could be fluent by the end of the year if he took it seriously

He's lazy and not very smart...Plus you gotta campaign in Quebec during the lead up and if his french was shaky that would just be an embarrassing L waiting to happen.

I can understand. Back on my island their is a secondary French Patois language. Like 50% of the island is bilingual, 45 percent speaking just English and 5 percent speak only the Patois (this adds to 100 Ninja). So politicians that don't know Patois are forced to learn it to campaign.

And when it comes time to deliver a campaign speech the entire island be looking for dudes to goof so we can clown them

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/04/05/public-school-dinners-pantries/70389176/

The classroom has become a dining room as more children attending public schools live in poverty. More than half of students in public schools — 51% — were in low-income families in 2013, according to a study by the Southern Education Foundation.
The number of low-income children in public schools has been persistent and steadily rising over the past several decades. In 1989, 32% of children in public schools lived in poverty, the foundation says.

More than a third of teachers, 37%, buy food more than once a month for students, according to a 2015 report by advocacy group No Kid Hungry. On average, teachers spend $35 a month to keep food in their classrooms for hungry children.

Remember when they said Trump was for the working class/blue collar folks

I remember

If you have worked the type of jobs that put you in constant contact with the well heeled (think high end retail, valet, livery), you know that many of them would rather not have to deal with the leeches - you.

The problem is, those jobs simply don't't exist in small town/rural America, and the rich, urban-gated-community-living conservatives can go down there every election season and lie to them about how much they will work for the poor and working class by cutting their - the wealthy's - taxes.
It's the US equivalent of African politicians going around villages every election season with goats and cows, talking about "vote for me, and there'll be more" knowing full well that they won't be around until their term is over and they need your votes again.

And rinse and repeat, the sheep will keep following that technique.

He
How is the language barrier in Canada? I hope it's not as awful as our language barrier in Belgium.

We technically have 3 native languages though the German speaking part of Belgium is pretty tiny. They do have their own German-speaking government.

The northern part of Belgium (where I live) is called Flanders and Dutch is the native language. The southern part is called Wallonia and French is the native language. The German speaking parts are located in the south as well. Brussels is kind of on the border between north and south and is mostly French-speaking. Dutch doesn't get you very far there.

The problem is that here in Flanders, learning French is mandatory and generally starts from the 4th or 5th grade. Depending on which study subject (think of it like "picking a major") you pick for the 7th grade and up, most students have German class too. As an example, for most of my highschool tenure I had 4 to 5 hours of Dutch class per week, 3 to 4 hours of French, 2 to 3 hours of English and 1 hour of German a week. I also took 1 year of Latin.

Generally when you graduate highschool in Flanders you should at least be competent if not fluent at French and you will probably speak some basic to decent German too.

The problem of the language barrier comes from our education policy on language, or rather lack thereof. Because Dutch, our native language in Flanders, is not taught mandatory in Wallonia.

In fact, most southerners don't speak Dutch at all. Zero. Even most of the southern politicians in our federal government can't speak Dutch, though the more high profile politicians are generally bilingual like our prime minister. However I've been to parliament a few times and figuratively speaking, half the chamber is filled with politicians wearing earpieces or headphones because they can't understand what the Flemish politicians are saying. I found it a pretty sad sight and it baffles me that this language barrier has existed from the day I was born with little to no change today.

While we learn French up here, not everyone can be a fluent French speaker and many people's French drastically weakens after completing education because it's never really used in Flanders outside of your education and certain jobs. I graduated from highschool as a pretty fluent French speaker but as I chose to go for a nursing bachelor's degree I've never really had to use my French since graduating. As a result, my French is far from what it used to be.

Whenever I'm in Brussels or Wallonia I just use English instead of French as it's practically my second native language and therefore more convenient.

I believe that this language barrier is one of the main contributors to our deeply flawed government and communication between the 3 language districts.

On top of that, our government system is also extremely complicated.

Belgium has 11 provinces, each with their own provincial government. The towns/cities have municipal or city governments.

But the 3 language districts also have their own government.

I live in the province of East-Flanders in a small rural town so we have a municipal government, the provincial government of East-Flanders and the Flemish government that covers all of Flanders. Then there's also the federal government.

Brussels has their own government because it's essentially right on the border between the Dutch and French speaking parts of the country. Brussels is bilingual but overwhelmingly French-speaking.

Wallonia has the Wallonian government that covers the French speaking part of the country, which is most of the south. However there is also a German district government, which covers the German speaking areas in the south.

When you add all of those together and consider that the south generally doesn't learn our native language, you can probably imagine what kind of effect that has on the country, our government and communication between the various governments, districts, ...

Especially on the border between north and south you can literally go from a Dutch speaking block to a French speaking block around the corner that doesn't understand a word of what you're saying and vice versa.

Do y'all in Canada mandatorily learn both sides' native language?

Last edited:
Seeing all the hypocrisy and lunacy from trump and his people, I can only think of Westworld:

These violent delights have violent ends. :\

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/330592-house-gop-health-bill-changes-exempt-members-of-congress

And now the scramble begins to try and explain this tremendously stupid move.

A new amendment to the House Republicans' ObamaCare replacement bill exempts members of Congress and their staff from its effects. 

The new changes  to the bill would allow states to apply for waivers for certain ObamaCare provisions, such as a ban on insurers charging premiums based on a customer's health and the requirement that insurers' basic health plans cover certain services, like prescription drugs and mental health. 

The GOP amendment exempts members of Congress and their staffs to ensure that they will still be protected by those ObamaCare provisions. 

The exemption was flagged by  health law professor Tim Jost. 

Democrats quickly jumped on the development, arguing that Republicans are willing to take away protections for the general public, but not themselves. 
"The best evidence yet that the new GOP repeal plan is a disaster for people’s health care is that the GOP exempted members of Congress from living under it,” said Leslie Dach, director of the Protect Our Care Campaign, one of the main groups fighting repeal. 
Rep. Thomas MacArthur (R-N.J.) is working with GOP leadership to get rid of the language, according to a GOP aide. MacArthur helped craft the new compromise with Rep. Mark Meadows (R-N.C.), the leader of the House Freedom Caucus.

"Congressman MacArthur does not believe Members of Congress or their staff should receive special treatment and is working with House Leadership to make absolutely clear that Members of Congress and staff are subject to the same rules, provisions, and protections as all other Americans," said Camille Gallow, a spokeswoman for MacArthur.

Separately, a GOP aide said separate legislation would be introduced to fix the language, which the aide said was added by the Senate Budget Committee. 

Senate GOP sources, though, disputed that statement, and said it was not the Senate Budget Committee that added the language. 

The MacArthur-Meadows language is helping to woo some conservatives, who argue that the ObamaCare regulations are driving up premium costs and note that high-risk pools would be able to fill the gap. 

However, many Republican moderates remain opposed to the bill. 

A Washington Post/ABC News poll this  week found that 70 percent of the public wants pre-existing condition protections to apply nationwide and not be up to each state. 

this is a cot damn shame...

and republicans will still ride for these same people. smh...they don't even care.

Da Don has made America Da Coal capital of Da world B. He has improved our standing in Da world. Once Barson gets HUD popping with Da Coal. AMAZING.

He
I'll answer what little I can and Osh can fill in or correct with what he knows.

Been to multiple parts of Canada multiple times due to having lots of family up north and never heard or read French outside of Quebec. 
Don't even really need to speak it inside if you're just visiting, there's plenty english around, although knowing some french definitely helps me.

To live there though you HAVE to speak functional french. It's a basic requirement for survival. All my fam who live there speak it fluently.

But I also have fam outside Quebec who I'm not sure if they even know enough to read a children's book 
laugh.gif

What the 9th Circuit got to do with sanctuary cities ruling? I can't keep up with this 4800D Chess strategy 

Don't get down on yourself B. No one can truly follow Da chess Da Don plays, just be confident that he knows what he's doing and he's looking out for everyone B.

Back
Top Bottom