***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Joey is our best candidate and I don’t care how old he is. Kam is well able to fill in. Biden being old and white and not from California helps us in the general election. Same people saying he’s too old would be the same ones complaining if we ran someone else out that there and lose.
It's always the same thing. hIlArY iS a BaD cAnDiDaTe. bIdEn Is A bAd CaNdiDaTe. kErRy Is A bAd CaNdIdAtE.

Obama is the only modern Democrat that wasnt called a bad candidate and he's a once in a lifetime politician.

If Biden loses to Trump its not because he's old or a bad option. It's because the GOP has been mobilizing voter suppression forces to break the rules and steal another election.

Kinda sad if he's still the best candidate.
Nobody said he was the best Democrat. But he's the best Democrat against Trump. Checks the same demographic boxes and the GQP can't try to leverage quiet-bigots on culture war ****. Biden isn't gay, a woman, a person of color, or a Californian. He's clean. In 2028 we'll get new blood and the leftists can (hopefully) shine.

There’s a couple alternatives running. None that would win.

I think they should still have debates in the name of democracy.

This is the fundamental difference between the bad guys and the good guys. We have to stop focusing on candidates and trying to find someone better when the bad guys run terrible candidates and it still takes triple OT to beat them while they win local and state elections without any plans that will actually help people. We are literally battling against facism right now. If the person is running as a Dem I will vote and continue to vote with the same enthusiasm that I had when voting for Obama. We can’t afford not to take this approach. Women’s healthcare rights, lgbtq rights, trans rights and civil rights are under attack and only one party is trying to stop them. Look at Joey’s record. Dude has been one of the most successful presidents and advocates of progressive policies that we’ve ever seen. He is doing so without the house and a senate that has two DINOs wrecking things. What would your ideal candidate do that Joey hasn’t done or isn’t trying to do? Climate change, abortion rights, civil rights?

My beefs with joe Biden are;
Over 600 dollar Venmo tax, that’s moronic and I can’t believe it’s real.

His framing of the rail strike he broke.

Overall he’s been better than I thought he would be for a 100 year old dude who can’t really talk.

I like his buy American and bring manufacturing back approach.

Coming over the top on the conclusions of a study without specific analytical basis is an abuse of title and authority. This is malfeasance, and he should be stripped of his licensing.

And then these people have the gall to question scientific expertise.
I learned yesterday that Florida is the epicenter of fake nursing diplomas.

That might explain the - lack of - integrity of their surgeon general.

My beefs with joe Biden are;
Over 600 dollar Venmo tax, that’s moronic and I can’t believe it’s real.

His framing of the rail strike he broke.

Overall he’s been better than I thought he would be for a 100 year old dude who can’t really talk.

I like his buy American and bring manufacturing back approach.

But income is income and by definition should be taxed. Just because the rules were late to be initiated doesn’t mean they were correct. You aren’t getting taxed on friends who refund you for a split restaurant bill.

I have a friend who works in an advertising company and he got mad because they added a specific tax that internet advertising was not having to pay for decades and now did (according to him). I’m like the internet is no longer an emerging tech so it should be taxed and regulated just like tv and radio advertising. Of course people will be mad because the status quo changed.

In Illinois, Democrats said more than 70% of school-board candidates it had endorsed won their races, often defeating the kinds of anti-LGBTQ+ culture-warrior candidates who have taken control of school boards across the country.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/apr/20/book-bans-us-public-schools-increase-pen-america
Republican-backed candidates in Wisconsin also fared poorly. Moms for Liberty, a rightwing group linked to wealthy Republican donors which has been behind book-banning campaigns in the US, said only eight of its endorsed candidates won election to school boards, and other conservative groups also reported disappointing performances.

The results come as education and free-speech organizations have warned of a new surge in book bans in public schools in America. Over the past two years, conservatives in US states have removed hundreds of books from school classrooms and libraries. The targeted books have largely been texts that address race and LGBTQ+ issues, or are written by people of color or LGBTQ+ authors.

But income is income and by definition should be taxed. Just because the rules were late to be initiated doesn’t mean they were correct. You aren’t getting taxed on friends who refund you for a split restaurant bill.

I have a friend who works in an advertising company and he got mad because they added a specific tax that internet advertising was not having to pay for decades and now did (according to him). I’m like the internet is no longer an emerging tech so it should be taxed and regulated just like tv and radio advertising. Of course people will be mad because the status quo changed.
I try to have conversations about the change with people and it usually goes nowhere

Everyone sees it as a tax increase when in reality what happened it that people are being cut off from a tax avoidance vehicle they got used to.

I get it sucks, but were technically legally required to do it this whole time

My main grievance with this is that it is gonna be a major hassle for people to do, especially in the first couple years, and I don't think enough is being done to educate the public on it. I think it was smart for the IRS to delayed it for one year, hopefully they roll out tools to make it easier on folk to calculate what they owe. There will need to be some leeway for folk in the first couple of years.

Last edited:

The state’s department of agriculture laid out the dress policy in a 13 April memo, which was first reported by the Texas Observer.

The memo says that “Western business attire” is appropriate and lays out acceptable business casual items.

“For men, business attire includes a long-sleeved dress shirt, tie, and sport coat worn with trousers and dress shoes or boots,” it says. “For women, business attire includes tailored pantsuits, business-like dresses, coordinated dressy separates worn with or without a blazer, and conservative, closed-toe shoes or boots.”

It prohibits women from wearing clothing that allows for “excessive cleavage” as well as skirts that are shorter than four inches from the knees. It also bans certain footwear – Crocs, slippers and slides are all not allowed. Also not allowed are neon and fluorescent hair colors as well as lip and other facial piercings. Clothing that is “too tight or too revealing” is also not allowed.

lol.

It’s not all income though, what if I buy lunch for 5 of my co workers because it’s easier to put it on one card and they just Venmo me, which actually happens a lot because skymiles.

I know we haven’t been taxed yet but how are they going to differentiate? Not all online transactions are income.

Overall it’s just petty, the whole message is close the loopholes for the 1% not tax regular people for every petty thing.

I’m sorry that new $600 tax threshold is dumb and there is no way y’all will ever convince me otherwise.

Now when I want to sell a few shoes a year to clean out my closet I gotta try to move them in person. It’s dumb.

What was wrong with the old $20,000 threshold?
Dude if you sell a few shoes to clean out your closet that $600 means you will probably owe a little extra dollars in taxes, and if you are selling them at a lost, none.

You are probably doing more work trying to dodge the $600 threshold than if you just filled out the forms.

It’s not all income though, what if I buy lunch for 5 of my co workers because it’s easier to put it on one card and they just Venmo me, which actually happens a lot because skymiles.

I know we haven’t been taxed yet but how are they going to differentiate? Not all online transactions are income.
You don't pay taxes on that

Overall it’s just petty, the whole message is close the loopholes for the 1% not tax regular people for every petty thing.

The tax law already exist

They just lowered the threshold so people could avoid it less

Biden increased taxes on the rich too

Dude if you sell a few shoes to clean out your closet that $600 means you will probably owe a little extra dollars in taxes, and if you are selling them at a lost, none.

You are probably doing more work trying to dodge the $600 threshold than if you just filled out the forms.

So I have to now keep the receipt of every shoe I buy? What if I get the shoe for retail can I say I paid the resell price on it?

So I have to now keep the receipt of every shoe I buy?
If you plan to resell it, that would be smart.

You can just take a pic of the receipt and save it to the cloud

What if I get the shoe for retail can I say I paid the resell price on it?

If you want to lie on your taxes, that is between you and the IRS.

But for some reason, I doubt they will be going after people for receipts/paperwork/proof like that.

I’m sorry that new $600 tax threshold is dumb and there is no way y’all will ever convince me otherwise.

Now when I want to sell a few shoes a year to clean out my closet I gotta try to move them in person. It’s dumb.

What was wrong with the old $20,000 threshold?

If you sell them below what you paid you can take that loss to offset any profits on the sale. So it evens out. It’s literally catching things up to the modern marketplace. Income is income, it’s just the rules.

Back
Top Bottom