Official Pizza Appreciation!

A slice of combo or pepperoni pizza at the Costco food court is a small feast. Costco pizza is its own kind of pizza.

I used to think Costco pizza was great as a kid now as an adult it's trash :lol:
There’s facts behind everything tasting better in the 90’s and earlier compared to today. They used higher grades of meat and fresher ingredients in food and beverages. Even in soda, foreign drinks use cane sugar where it’s all concentrated syrup and carbonated water here in the US. Everything now is triple processed to maximize profit margins and you can taste it.

There’s facts behind everything tasting better in the 90’s and earlier compared to today. They used higher grades of meat and fresher ingredients in food and beverages. Even in soda, foreign drinks use cane sugar where it’s all concentrated syrup and carbonated water here in the US. Everything now is triple processed to maximize profit margins and you can taste it.
Yeah like someone else said about Pizza Hut back in the day... that **** was like an event. The pizza was god level

Even into the early 2000's it was still good, I remember they came out with their NY Style it was so good

**** tastes like cardboard sometimes now

I don't know if the marketing is what did it but the Big NY Pizza wasn't even that good from what I remember. It was AIGHT. Not on the level of the original pan style.

They went all out with The packaging though.

Well, no, the original pan pizza was just its own tier

The NY Style was just to change it up but I also noticed that diff Hut's went up and down in quality. I always made sure to order from one that just a little further away cuz they made it with more care

Dunno how pizza hut isn't bankrupt, barely any locations here. They have little locations inside a target and connected to a taco bell that only have breadsticks and plain or pepperoni small personal pizzas. I was sad AF when the location 5-6 minutes away closed. Used to beast on meat lovers pizza and breadsticks.

If you're ever in the Chicago area, here's a quick guide to some of my favorite places based on Pizza type.

Lou Malnati's - Deep Dish
I grew up on Lou Malnatis but there's no bias here. The sauce, the cheese, the crust all work together to create the perfect Chicago Deep Dish Pizza.
Tip: Throw in the extra change for the Butter Crust. The Fried Calamari is also worth a try.
IMG_20200822_175540__02.jpg

IMG_20200822_175721__01.jpg

Pequod's - Pan Pizza
Some may argue it's Chicago Deep Dish but it's more of a Pan Style Pizza. It's like a combo of Detroit Style and Deep Dish. The Focaccia like dough is thick and airy and has a delicious Caramelized Crust.
IMG_20201006_174941__01.jpg

Vito & Nick's - Chicago Tavern Style
Vito & Nick's has always been a Taven Style staple in Chicago. They started the Chicago Taven Style Pizza back in the 40's. Most Tavern Style Pizzas in the city have too thick of a doughy crust. I prefer their cracker thin crust. It looks unassuming, but it's all in the sauce & thin crust flavor with this one.
IMG_20201015_193530__01.jpg

Pizza Fried Chicken Ice Cream - #2 Tavern Style
This is a new spot that opened up in the Bridgeport area by a group of young, layed back folks that have gained a lot of momentum due to their attention to detail and quality ingredients. They don't mess around. The Taven style is cracker thin with exceptional char.
IMG_20211015_211535__02.jpg

IMG_20211015_211923.jpg

Pizza Fried Chicken Ice Cream - Sicilian
Not too many Sicilian joints in Chicago. PFCI takes the cake regardless. The dough is perfectly airy & yet crunchy and the sauce & toppings complement that with just the right balance.
IMG_20211015_211412__01.jpg

Union Squared - Detroit Style
More & more Detroit Style spots are starting to pop up around the city. This would have never been acceptable in the 80's or 90's lol. So far my top pick is Union Squared. Light, fluffy, great sauce, and the caramelized crusts hits.
IMG_20210612_205758__02.jpg

IMG_20210612_205812__02.jpg

Jimmy's Pizza Cafe - New York Style
More NY Pizza spots are popping up in Chicago as well. I've tried most & so far Jimmy's holds the crown. Owners are from New York and have made a name for themselves here with their NY pies. If the Foster spot is too far North, they just purchased a building in Wrigglyville but the opening date is still unknown.
IMG_20201128_184703__01.jpg

IMG_20200821_214601__05.jpg

Spacca Napoli - Neapolitan
I've been on a Neapolitan run for the past year. I still have a couple more places to try but Spacca Napoli is at the top of the heap. If you find yourself here your going to want to try the Pistachio Pizza. It's more of a low key choice but the flavors are life changing.
IMG_20211003_170538__01.jpg

IMG_20211003_171303__01.jpg

Last edited:
Good breakdown walkingBred walkingBred

Pizza Fried Chicken Ice Cream :lol: - Wild name there

I had lou malnati's a few times when I was out there, I've had to ask them to reduce the amount of cheese because it overtakes the rest of the "toppings." I find that to be true whenever I get deep dish anywhere.

If you're ever in the Chicago area, here's a quick guide to some of my favorite places based on Pizza type.

Lou Malnati's - Deep Dish
I grew up on Lou Malnatis but there's no bias here. The sauce, the cheese, the crust all work together to create the perfect Chicago Deep Dish Pizza.
Tip: Throw in the extra change for the Butter Crust. The Fried Calamari is also worth a try.
IMG_20200822_175540__02.jpg

IMG_20200822_175721__01.jpg

Pequod's - Pan Pizza
Some may argue it's Chicago Deep Dish but it's more of a Pan Style Pizza. It's like a combo of Detroit Style and Deep Dish. The Focaccia like dough is thick and airy and has a delicious Caramelized Crust.
IMG_20201006_174941__01.jpg

Vito & Nick's - Chicago Tavern Style
Vito & Nick's has always been a Taven Style staple in Chicago. They started the Chicago Taven Style Pizza back in the 40's. Most Tavern Style Pizzas in the city have too thick of a doughy crust. I prefer their cracker thin crust. It looks unassuming, but it's all in the sauce & thin crust flavor with this one.
IMG_20201015_193530__01.jpg

Pizza Fried Chicken Ice Cream - #2 Tavern Style
This is a new spot that opened up in the Bridgeport area by a group of young, layed back folks that have gained a lot of momentum due to their attention to detail and quality ingredients. They don't mess around. The Taven style is cracker thin with exceptional char.
IMG_20211015_211535__02.jpg

IMG_20211015_211923.jpg

Pizza Fried Chicken Ice Cream - Sicilian
Not too many Sicilian joints in Chicago. PFCI takes the cake regardless. The dough is perfectly airy & yet crunchy and the sauce & toppings complement that with just the right balance.
IMG_20211015_211412__01.jpg

Union Squared - Detroit Style
More & more Detroit Style spots are starting to pop up around the city. This would have never been acceptable in the 80's or 90's lol. So far my top pick is Union Squared. Light, fluffy, great sauce, and the caramelized crusts hits.
IMG_20210612_205758__02.jpg

IMG_20210612_205812__02.jpg

Jimmy's Pizza Cafe - New York Style
More NY Pizza spots are popping up in Chicago as well. I've tried most & so far Jimmy's holds the crown. Owners are from New York and have made a name for themselves here with their NY pies. If the Foster spot is too far North, they just purchased a building in Wrigglyville but the opening date is still unknown.
IMG_20201128_184703__01.jpg

IMG_20200821_214601__05.jpg

Spacca Napoli - Neapolitan
I've been on a Neapolitan run for the past year. I still have a couple more places to try but Spacca Napoli is at the top of the heap. If you find yourself here your going to want to try the Pistachio Pizza. It's more of a low key choice but the flavors are life changing.
IMG_20211003_170538__01.jpg

IMG_20211003_171303__01.jpg
What do locals think of Lou Malnati's & Giordano's? When I went to Chi I was told by some they are "tourist trap" pizzas & locals don't pay em no mind. Than I had an equal amount of locals say you can't come to Chi & not try both, they also swore it to be top 10 Chicago deep dish pizza. I guess because they're corporate & retail pizza many don't like em but for what it's worth we tried both & both were bangin *** pizza especially Lou Malnati's. Peaquod's wait wasn't worth the hype to me. The product was good but would never wait for that pizza ever again. It was too doughy for me. You ever been to Epic Burger?

What do locals think of Lou Malnati's & Giordano's? When I went to Chi I was told by some they are "tourist trap" pizzas & locals don't pay em no mind. Than I had an equal amount of locals say you can't come to Chi & not try both, they also swore it to be top 10 Chicago deep dish pizza. I guess because they're corporate & retail pizza many don't like em but for what it's worth we tried both & both were bangin *** pizza especially Lou Malnati's. Peaquod's wait wasn't worth the hype to me. The product was good but would never wait for that pizza ever again. It was too doughy for me. You ever been to Epic Burger?
I'd say out of towners should always try the Deep Dish. At least to see if they even like it. Disregard those folks saying to pass on it. I know a few. They're just used to having it. I mentioned something about this in another post a while ago.
I prefer Lou Malnati's. Crust is crispier, taste better, plus I grew up on it. If you're in Chicago next time I'd recommend you try their thin crust tavern style. Everyone talks about Chicago deep dish, but thin crust tavern style is a Chicago staple. Believe it or not, most Chicagoans order thin crust tavern style at most local pizza joints. Deep dish is more for an event or occasion meal. Tavern style is more common for drinking or watching football or parties. Their fried calamari is fire as well.

I haven't been to Epic Burger yet.

Last edited:
I don't know if the marketing is what did it but the Big NY Pizza wasn't even that good from what I remember. It was AIGHT. Not on the level of the original pan style.

They went all out with The packaging though.

The Big New Yorker was the idea of future Nintendo head Reggie Fils-Aimé.

Holy ****tttttttttt at Lou Malnati's. I NEED
Get it! You won't be disappointed.
I'd say out of towners should always try the Deep Dish. At least to see if they even like it. Disregard those folks saying to pass on it. I know a few. They're just used to having it. I mentioned something about this in another post a while ago.

I haven't been to Epic Burger yet.
Def try Epic Burger when you get the chance. It really is EPIC lol. Try it & report back 👍

Local place square cuts their pizza. A family member of mine does not like the crust. I love the crust. So instead of taking the middle pieces with no crust, they eat the outer slices and then throw away the crust. Makes my blood boil each time.
Is that by any chance from Beau Jo's in Denver? That crust looks very familiar.

As a NY'er I salute Chicago & their pizza culture. Most NY'ers never ever use a fork & knife to eat their pizza(myself included) but Chicago's deep dish there's just no other way to eat it. I tried eating it normally by folding it first but there was no way that was happening. Them deep dish slices are too thick, too full & too heavy to be folded. Folding it just resulted in a big hot mess. I absolutely love Chicago. A city so full of vibes, history, cuisine, culture. You name it Chicago has it. Bang Bang Pies was the best food spot I tried there. Can't wait to go back.

Dunno how pizza hut isn't bankrupt, barely any locations here. They have little locations inside a target and connected to a taco bell that only have breadsticks and plain or pepperoni small personal pizzas. I was sad AF when the location 5-6 minutes away closed. Used to beast on meat lovers pizza and breadsticks.

It’s owned by YUM - which is at an all time high

George and Nick's Pizza and Steakhouse Centerville IA. A lot of Greek pizza joints in the southern part of the state.
Interesting 🤔. In Denver they have some called "boulder pies" which is basically bolder sized crusts due to Colorado having a lot of bolders & a town named Boulder. The crust looks identical to the pic you posted. If I'm ever in IA I'll try to rmbr the spots you mentioned 👍

Lou’s chicago classic.

The goat of deep, pause

Born and raised in Chicago.

Also go to the south loop location

Actually just go and eat it fresh

Back
Top Bottom