Official PC thread.

Didn't know there was so much AMD/ATI hate in here.  AMD is better than Nvidia in the Price vs Performance category in all benchmarks.  Getting rid of a 6970 for  a 580 is $100+ in cost difference for a couple fps. 

Plus, being able to run 3 screens off 1 card is
pimp.gif

Check the sig rig.  Eyefinity ftw.  Crossfire 6970s kills everything on max settings.

Originally Posted by bbllplaya23

Can anyone recommend me a desktop for my parents? It'll mainly be used for internet/email, just basic stuff (no gaming or anything). Just need a tower, looking to spend between $300-$400 if possible. I need something reliable though. Thanks guys.

lulz @ asking after black Friday. You'd be better off building one.
AMD/ATI
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by bbllplaya23

Can anyone recommend me a desktop for my parents? It'll mainly be used for internet/email, just basic stuff (no gaming or anything). Just need a tower, looking to spend between $300-$400 if possible. I need something reliable though. Thanks guys.

lulz @ asking after black Friday. You'd be better off building one.
AMD/ATI
pimp.gif

I got a question guys, how is it to mod a laptop? Just received the asus a53e-h91. I'm looking to change the processor into an i5. Possible, or can the motherboard/power supply? not be able to run this?!

Another question, anyone know a good place to sell their old laptops & desktops to? Ebay and Craigslist seem to be the common route, but any suggestions? Thanks.

I got a question guys, how is it to mod a laptop? Just received the asus a53e-h91. I'm looking to change the processor into an i5. Possible, or can the motherboard/power supply? not be able to run this?!

Another question, anyone know a good place to sell their old laptops & desktops to? Ebay and Craigslist seem to be the common route, but any suggestions? Thanks.

It's very hard/ damn near impossible to change the CPU in most laptops, only thing you can really upgrade are the ram and hard drive.

It's very hard/ damn near impossible to change the CPU in most laptops, only thing you can really upgrade are the ram and hard drive.

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Damn that's exactly what i'm trying to avoid. What does a cable card do that a TV tuner won't?

i think the cablecard is required if you want the tv guide & access to anything other than local channels & hd channels.
Although you probably want to wait for someone with more knowledge than me to post before giving up, as i only know a little
ohwell.gif

Damn that's exactly what i'm trying to avoid. What does a cable card do that a TV tuner won't?

i think the cablecard is required if you want the tv guide & access to anything other than local channels & hd channels.
Although you probably want to wait for someone with more knowledge than me to post before giving up, as i only know a little
ohwell.gif

Radeon HD 7000 is presented in London on December 5

We have waited long for the first graphics cards built on 28nm, and now have the first tasks appeared on AMD's HD 7000-series. The series to be unveiled in London on December 5 and all we need to know about AMD's latest graphics cards that are not yet launched it should talk about.

According to sources at NordicHardware is the moment we have all been waiting for, about to happen. The first generation of graphics cards built on 28nm to announcement during an event in London on December 5 and it is clear that AMD was first again with the latest manufacturing technology. There is no launch it comes on without an event for the media to take note of what is to come from AMD.

28nm GPUs will offer many surprises and have a much greater focus on GPGPU functionality than before, suggesting that it is GCN architecture, which stands in the spotlight. GCN will be the first all-new graphics architecture since the HD 2000 series and should bring AMD's graphics cards in line with NVIDIA in terms of GPGPU functionality, if not higher.

Radeon HD 7000 is presented in London on December 5

We have waited long for the first graphics cards built on 28nm, and now have the first tasks appeared on AMD's HD 7000-series. The series to be unveiled in London on December 5 and all we need to know about AMD's latest graphics cards that are not yet launched it should talk about.

According to sources at NordicHardware is the moment we have all been waiting for, about to happen. The first generation of graphics cards built on 28nm to announcement during an event in London on December 5 and it is clear that AMD was first again with the latest manufacturing technology. There is no launch it comes on without an event for the media to take note of what is to come from AMD.

28nm GPUs will offer many surprises and have a much greater focus on GPGPU functionality than before, suggesting that it is GCN architecture, which stands in the spotlight. GCN will be the first all-new graphics architecture since the HD 2000 series and should bring AMD's graphics cards in line with NVIDIA in terms of GPGPU functionality, if not higher.

I don't mind having to buy one, I just don't want to rent it. Reason why I'm lookign to build is so I don't have to rent a box from my cable company

So if I were to get a cablecard would I even still need a TV tuner card? Is there any other place I can read into this at?

I just read into it a little, and looks like I'm goign to need to get a cablecard. Not even worth it anymore

I don't mind having to buy one, I just don't want to rent it. Reason why I'm lookign to build is so I don't have to rent a box from my cable company

So if I were to get a cablecard would I even still need a TV tuner card? Is there any other place I can read into this at?

I just read into it a little, and looks like I'm goign to need to get a cablecard. Not even worth it anymore

you dont need a regular tv tuner if you get a cablecard but you'll need a cablecard tuner which are quite expensive from what i've seen.
a example of one:
Ceton InfiniTV 4 Quad-tuner Card

some info links:
Link 1
Link 2

just try goolging htpc cablecard and/or going on forums like tomshardware, etc and try to more info

you dont need a regular tv tuner if you get a cablecard but you'll need a cablecard tuner which are quite expensive from what i've seen.
a example of one:
Ceton InfiniTV 4 Quad-tuner Card

some info links:
Link 1
Link 2

just try goolging htpc cablecard and/or going on forums like tomshardware, etc and try to more info

yeah I don't want to have to go through the cable company at all. Doesn't look like there's any other way though

yeah I don't want to have to go through the cable company at all. Doesn't look like there's any other way though

TV tuners are outdated since most cable companies got rid of their analog channels and went fully digital.
To get the same programming as your cablebox you need to rent a cablecard from your provider, prices are between 1.99 - 3.99 per cablecard.

I'd reccomend a silicondust HDhomerun prime.

It will be able to record 3 streams at once, with 1 for viewing only. It's a network tuner so you just connect it your your router and your Windows media center enabled pc will see the network tuner.

http://www.newegg.com/Pro...mp;Tpk=hdhomerun%20prime

The network tuner are great for htpc's and is a better & cheaper way to have a DVR than renting it from your cable provider. The HDhomerun prime came out around august so its still a new product, it took forever to be approved by Cablelabs. 

I dont own one yet, but will soon buy one.

TV tuners are outdated since most cable companies got rid of their analog channels and went fully digital.
To get the same programming as your cablebox you need to rent a cablecard from your provider, prices are between 1.99 - 3.99 per cablecard.

I'd reccomend a silicondust HDhomerun prime.

It will be able to record 3 streams at once, with 1 for viewing only. It's a network tuner so you just connect it your your router and your Windows media center enabled pc will see the network tuner.

http://www.newegg.com/Pro...mp;Tpk=hdhomerun%20prime

The network tuner are great for htpc's and is a better & cheaper way to have a DVR than renting it from your cable provider. The HDhomerun prime came out around august so its still a new product, it took forever to be approved by Cablelabs. 

I dont own one yet, but will soon buy one.

Back
Top Bottom