OFFICIAL NHL PLAYOFFS THREAD.... BLACKHAWKS WIN STANLEY CUP

Originally Posted by dmxfury

If you show up with anything American-esque in Montreal, you're getting mean mugged.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but what is with Montreal vs. the U.S?  I don't see the hate from any other Canadian city like I do with Montreal?  What are they so mad at us about?  If I should know, I apologize, because I love Canada as a country but Montreal and their antics gets very old

The French-Canadian hatred of the English has roots in the perceived historical domination of the English over the French in North America. This has resulted in a long-standing conflict in Canada between the French and English speaking populations in Canada over linguistic issues. The conflict famously reached its zenith in 1995 when a secession referendum in Quebec was narrowly defeated (50.4% No : 49.6% Yes). However, Quebec's "beef " with America mostly has to do with the "cultural division of labour" maintained by the English elite (British & American), resulting in broad economic and political inequality in Quebec. This is known as "elite accomodation" in Quebec and lasted roughly 150 years, ending in the 1950s.

How does this relate to hockey? The principle institution of "domination" was the feudal/senorial land system, which required "les habitants" to pay rent to land senors. Les Habitants, of course, is the Canadiens nickname and the team has since come to represent a form of French nationalism. This is evident the strong French-Canadian presence on the team both historically and currently. For example, in the Original Six era the Canadiens had first crack at francophone players; or now, Canadiens fans refuse to allow the team to hire a non-francophone coach. It's also why they cheer "Ole Ole Ole" during games. The outward sense of French nationalism that pervades the province's sports culture manifests when the Habs face American teams, who are ostensibly viewed as the "English enemy." This is particularly evident in the playoffs when fans often boo the Star Spangled Banner. In fact, I can't remember a year they haven't done it.

The French.
laugh.gif

I think that was the only time I actually appreciated ANYTHING Boston
laugh.gif

What can i say....great season but making the playoffs was by far not the biggest accomplishment of this team.
pimp.gif

the handshake and skate after the series is by far the coolest thing i have ever seen in sports
pimp.gif

i feel terrible for doan not being able to play but it happens and we will be back.
pimp.gif

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOUR GUYS TEAMS
pimp.gif

and finally.....
Spoiler [+]
WE HAVE AN OWNER NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by True Blues

Originally Posted by dmxfury

If you show up with anything American-esque in Montreal, you're getting mean mugged.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but what is with Montreal vs. the U.S?  I don't see the hate from any other Canadian city like I do with Montreal?  What are they so mad at us about?  If I should know, I apologize, because I love Canada as a country but Montreal and their antics gets very old

The French-Canadian hatred of the English has roots in the perceived historical domination of the English over the French in North America. This has resulted in a long-standing conflict in Canada between the French and English speaking populations in Canada over linguistic issues. The conflict famously reached its zenith in 1995 when a secession referendum in Quebec was narrowly defeated (50.4% No : 49.6% Yes). However, Quebec's "beef " with America mostly has to do with the "cultural division of labour" maintained by the English elite (British & American), resulting in broad economic and political inequality in Quebec. This is known as "elite accomodation" in Quebec and lasted roughly 150 years, ending in the 1950s.

How does this relate to hockey? The principle institution of "domination" was the feudal/senorial land system, which required "les habitants" to pay rent to land senors. Les Habitants, of course, is the Canadiens nickname and the team has since come to represent a form of French nationalism. This is evident the strong French-Canadian presence on the team both historically and currently. For example, in the Original Six era the Canadiens had first crack at francophone players; or now, Canadiens fans refuse to allow the team to hire a non-francophone coach. It's also why they cheer "Ole Ole Ole" during games. The outward sense of French nationalism that pervades the province's sports culture manifests when the Habs face American teams, who are ostensibly viewed as the "English enemy." This is particularly evident in the playoffs when fans often boo the Star Spangled Banner. In fact, I can't remember a year they haven't done it.

Thanks for that information True Blues, I love learning stuff like that.

Originally Posted by GingersAintBad

IDK why but I bet for some reason you didnt have that sig when the season started did you?
laugh.gif

I'd bet the HOUSE that Phoenix does not make the post season next year. That's the one team when I look up and down both conference standings that screams out to me "one year fluke."

laugh.gif
@ gingers calling out the lone coyote fan...it's easier to keep track in this thread with there only being like 10 hockey fans on the board

^ word. i think it was more a joke than anything serious. no worries. besides, it's not like it was a caps sig or something
laugh.gif

EEntegRa wrote:
the red wings are scary. hope the sharks can eliminate them.
I have an eerie feeling that the Red Wings are going to win the whole thing. Nobody in the West is going to stop them. Who in the East can? Pittsburgh may be the defending champs, but they aren't as good as they were last year.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

EEntegRa wrote:
I have an eerie feeling that the Red Wings are going to win the whole thing. Nobody in the West is going to stop them. Who in the East can? Pittsburgh may be the defending champs, but they aren't as good as they were last year.

I think we our going to take them out i got faith in my hawks

Originally Posted by primetime21

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

EEntegRa wrote:

I think we our going to take them out i got faith in my hawks

Take off those blinders primetime. As much as I would love for you to be right, logic won't allow me to sign off on your notion. The Red Wings would make Niemi look like Huet and Huet look like empty net. Detroit has basically been steam rolling everyone since the Olympic break. I am surprised the Yotes took them to 7.

From all of the crap I have been reading in blogs and message boards today, you'd think Montreal already won game 7. I am confident that we come out very aggressive and attack early and often. Caps 6 - Canadiens 1.

hoping for a miracle that the canadians pull the upset.

w/ carter, gagne, and laperriere out that's our best chance to advance.

i just can't do it...i can't root for the habs. it doesn't help that i love AO as a player. ugh...FML
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom