OFFICIAL NFL Discussion Thread: 2015-16 Season - Congrats to the Denver Broncos and their fans! SB 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get how they mortgaged the future...they spread the picks over 3 years...so they only lose 1 pick in each next 2 years...yea it's a first but you have other picks...people over exaggerating here...no certainty that pick next year they get let's say in high teens would be very impactfull either...

fully agree with CP. there is NO need to trade away the next two or three drafts to gamble on QB's that are far from a sure bet. even if you have a sure bet, i dunno if price is worth it. because at the end of the day, you never even know if they are a sure bet :lol:
100% agree with this. There's not telling where a franchise QB can come from.

Damn Eagles mortgaged their future

Eagles have 20 picks in the next 3 drafts.. The standard is 21

7 picks this year.. 7 next year as of now.. 6 in 2018 as of now

And that's factoring in the 2nd that got traded for Bradford

Last edited:
I don't get how they mortgaged the future...they spread the picks over 3 years...so they only lose 1 pick in each next 2 years...yea it's a first but you have other picks...people over exaggerating here...no certainty that pick next year they get let's say in high teens would be very impactfull either...

Fair enough, this isn't as bad as other trades we've seen

But still a big haul by Ckeveland. Going to need the Browns to brown

fully agree with CP. there is NO need to trade away the next two or three drafts to gamble on QB's that are far from a sure bet. even if you have a sure bet, i dunno if price is worth it. because at the end of the day, you never even know if they are a sure bet :lol:

Draft picks in general aren't a sure bet though.

Teams that draft well can acquire good players in any round and teams that don't can have a ton of picks and do nothing.

I'm not saying the Rams or Eagles are doing the right thing but this groupthink statement that they are mortgaing the future and are doomed to failure doesn't have historical precedent

The likelihood that they would keep all those picks, draft good players with most of them and find a good quarterback that isn't taken at rhe the top of the draft is just as unlikely that Goff or Wentz become elite quarterbacks.

Last edited:

Eagles have picked in the top 10 once in the last 15 years, lane Johnson in 2013

Even this year, our pick was 13 based on record

Yes Watson is better and would have gone 1st in this draft.. But guess what, whoever ends up at that spot next year ain't trading it

Exactly....Philly hardly ever picks in top 10...this was only chance to get a potential franchise qb so early...gotta go for it...they aren't getting lucky enough to move up in draft like they did this year...I think both teams did good...doesn't mean the pick will workout but let's be honest safe doesn't win superbowls...

Teams that draft well can acquire good players in any round and teams that don't can have a ton of picks and do nothing.

this is why you don't give away picks all willy nilly though. you need multiple picks to hit on a portion of them. give em away and lower your the number you hit on

Last edited:
100% agree with this. There's not telling where a franchise QB can come from.

Watch Connor Cook in the 4th or whatever end up being the best QB in this draft.

Last edited:
Anyone arguing what the Rams and Eagles did is blind to reality.

Reality is they are high profile cities where the GMs have to win instantly, or so they feel based on media.

Horrible moves regardless of the outcome structurally but clicks > all

this is why you don't give away picks all willy nilly though. you need multiple picks to hit on a portion of them. give em away and lower your the number you hit on

Quarterbacks have a higher positional value than any other position in football though.

A top borderline probowl 7-12 quarterback is worth more to a football team than 3 or 4 borderline probowl position players.

Joe Thomas is the best left tackle in football

Joe Haden is borderline elite

Alex Mack was a top 3 Center.

The Cleveland Browns where still a dumpster fire.

Last edited:

Quarterbacks have a higher positional value than any other position in football though.

A top borderline probowl 7-12 quarterback is worth more to a football team than 3 or 4 borderline probowl position players.

for sure. but we've seen top QBs come from from anywhere in the draft. probably more often than not, later in the draft

when i say "later"...i mean outside of the top 10 picks

Last edited:

for sure. but we've seen top QBs come from from anywhere in the draft. probably more often than not, later in the draft

when i say "later"...i mean outside of the top 10 picks

Yes we have but if you want to win a Super Bowl that is not likely based on historical precedent.

^ how many top 10? i clarified that i meant outside of top 10 as in "later"

and what the ****...Dilfer was a 1st round pick?!? i totally missed that

Last edited:

Agreed.

It would be interesting to know the percentages on successful QBs taken 1st overall, top 5, top 10, first round and then the rest.

Edit: successful meaning winning record as just a base stat line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those number one quarterbacks have been to been to 21 Super Bowls combined.

Not to mention other productive quarterbacks who were picked top half of the first round...Kelly, Roesthlisberger, McNair, Griese, McNabb, Rivers, Ryan, Stafford, Palmer, Vick, Collins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom