OFFICIAL NFL Discussion Thread: 2015-16 Season - Congrats to the Denver Broncos and their fans! SB 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cc4QUJXUsAEKG2H.jpg
Back when he was shoving his butt in women's faces.

Kinda glad Peyton retired, didn't want to see him stink up one more season
One of the greatest QBs in NFL history that's for sure though

Peyton is the most intelligent and cerebral quarterback I have ever seen, which I think was to his detriment. He organized and ran an offense on every play on a very large majority of the all the snaps he took. It's hard to imagine we'll ever see someone like him again. If you respect greatness and its different variations, you respect Peyton and what and how he did it.

Peyton is the most intelligent and cerebral quarterback I have ever seen, which I think was to his detriment. He organized and ran an offense on every play on a very large majority of the all the snaps he took. It's hard to imagine we'll ever see someone like him again. If you respect greatness and its different variations, you respect Peyton and what and how he did it.
He got Tony Dungy in the HOF :lol: That alone deserves praise

Random thought,

Am I the only person that gets upset when people comment on NFL salaries when it's obvious they aren't paying attention to salary cap space or just the nature NFL contracts in general today?

I saw someone post that the Ravens can't compete because of Joe Flacco's contract.

Is Joe Flacco overpaid? Sure but his cap number wasn't even big until 2014 and when you a look at that cap number in comparison to the average NFL starting quarterback its not unreasonable at all.

Then you look what players have actually left Balitmore in free agency and what good free agents that actually have left their teams have signed for then it becomes pretty apparent that Joe Flacco's contract literally has nothing to do with the Ravens ability to compete.

The fact that people think Osweiler getting 15 million a year is unreasonable actually irks me.

Used to.

I think I mentioned this before, but it's hard to talk about your love of football with old folks because a large majority scoff at the money aspect of the game today. I believe those elders that usually say that though, are those that were never interested in football anyway and because loving football is the cool thing to do right now, that's their excuse (Only my experience). I digress, but my point is that I learned on my own long ago that the NFL (and other professional sports leagues for that matter) is their own entity and players get paid whatever the hell the NFL (own entity) market decides their value is.

Further, I never got too involved with how contracts worked because of what I just alluded to. I figured it just is what it is, but when we all learned of Colin Kaepernick's contract a few years ago, I was astonished. It wasn't necessarily the monetary value, but the player that value was assigned to. At that point, it wasn't until @dland24, I believe, that spoke on how his particular contract worked and I again realized how arbitrary NFL money is. Since then, whenever someone signs a "large" contract in the NFL, it means nothing to me. Unless it's guaranteed, dude can get cut the next season after signing and get nothing of that "large" salary.

Synopsis:

Old fans are ignorant of the game today and I was ignorant of the contracts of today until I learned. Not ignorant no more and each announcement of a big-time contract means little to me since most of the money isn't guaranteed.

Last edited:
He got Tony Dungy in the HOF :lol: That alone deserves praise

The HOF isn't what I want it to be, but nobody cares about that.:lol:

Dungy is great in my book though. Only cause I knew of him in my younger days when he was a great D-coordinator for the Vikes in the 90's, so naturally I followed him when he moved on to HC of the Bucs (Denny Green has an underappreciated coaching tree btw).

I was an undersized Q and had to do my own recruiting for college, so outside of what the highlight tape I put together of what I could do on the field (humblebrag), I had to interview of sorts, to get colleges interested and one of things I'd hit on was how I wanted understand the game like Dungy. He was a college Q that played DB in the NFL and had a crazy understanding of how it all worked. I believe his quarterback days made him that much better as a coach, evidenced by the defenses he ran. I find it equally astounding how in Indy, they rarely had a top tier defense, which plays to my point of Manning being a do-it-all, know-it-all guy. He was basically the offensive coordinator when Caldwell took over and that started under Dungy.

Peyton retiring.

Additional all time greats Brady, Eli, Ben, Drew, Hasselbeck, Phillip, Carson, and Tony won't be far behind.

mean.gif

Last edited:
I felt like the Colts spent a lot high draft picks on offense to help Peyton.

I could be wrong though.

You're probably right. If not, I'm sure NT will correct us. :lol:

It's interesting to me, though. A game-manager quarterback is frowned upon highly, though I think it's to a lesser degree now, but I feel that if Dungy took to his strong point that made him so great in the first place, Indy could have had at least one more ring. In hindsight, surrounding a great quarterback like with how Peyton was great, with a great defense relieves a ton of burden of having him needing to do-it-all.

Denver's defense gets mot the credit, deservedly, for this latest Super Bowl, but you still need to be competent on offense and obviously Peyton will make any offense competent. Now apply that to a prime Peyton and with an very good defense, how does he not win at least one more? Crazy.

Another note: I've been watching for the past 3 years (not that I'd miss it anyway) of Manning vs. Brady thinking it'll be the last and I'm grateful that I had a keen eye on even the latest matchup and then to see Manning in the SB one more time...and win it. This is why we watch even the most mundane of sporting events -- just in the case you happen to witness the capturing of greatness (also why I never leave a live game early, if I'm there).

Explained this to my wife as we were driving listening to the Belmont. Way out in the boonies with spotty reception hearing "American Pharoah has done it!" I said, "this is why..."

I'm talkative this morning. :lol:

Last edited:
finally, Peyton. good riddance. don't let the door hit you in the as...

nah...thanks for years of amazing QB'ing and years of rivalry games that have been fun to watch. hats off and respect to a great career :pimp:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom