OFFICIAL NEW YORK KNICKS OFFSEASON THREAD: TRAINING CAMP

Difference is Rose wasn't as realistic. I knew that, and it was a dream.

With LeBron, there are no ping pong balls.

It's NY, the Garden, and if we have the Cap room and the team is to his liking, and the Cavs have done nothing to better themselves....there is a goodchance he'll be coming.

It also would be different if Isiah were running things...but now with Walsh, all indications are that he's trying to free up as much $ as possible.

True, but I think he is going to have a harder time than we originally thought. Curry is immovable, Randolph has talent but teams are wary and Q rich, JeromeJames and Jared Jefferies are making too much money for any takers. I honestly hope we get Lebron but at this time we should be broadening our horizons and notputting all our eggs in one basket. If we can get a talented player we should go after him and not be wary because his contract runs past 2010(this does notapply to Barbosa, Diaw or Redd)

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

True, but I think he is going to have a harder time than we originally thought. Curry is immovable, Randolph has talent but teams are wary and Q rich, Jerome James and Jared Jefferies are making too much money for any takers. I honestly hope we get Lebron but at this time we should be broadening our horizons and not putting all our eggs in one basket. If we can get a talented player we should go after him and not be wary because his contract runs past 2010(this does not apply to Barbosa, Diaw or Redd)

Q and Big snacks will be off the books by the time Bron and co are free agents. We have less than 30 mil in contracts that extend that far. EVEN if thosebig contracts of Z-Bo and Curry aren't moved we could still afford Lebron

[h1]DRAFT: BE ON GUARD[/h1]
[h3]By LENN ROBBINS[/h3]
[img]http://www.nypost.com/seven/06222008/photos/spo091b.jpg[/img]

SIZING 'EM UP:The Nets could select 7-footer Brook Lopez from Stanford or Italian star Danilo Gallinari (above) in Thursday's NBA Draft.

[img]http://www.nypost.com/img/slideshow/slideshow_controls_previous.gif[/img][img]http://www.nypost.com/img/slideshow/slideshow_controls_play.gif[/img][img]http://www.nypost.com/img/slideshow/slideshow_controls_next.gif[/img]

June 22, 2008 -- They were the Knicks version of Bonnie and Clyde, a pair of basketball outlaws who swept through the five boroughs leaving New Yorkers witha basketball franchise bankrupt of pride.

Former GM Isiah Thomas, and his once pet project turned Stephen King mutant, point guard Stephon Marbury, left the Knicks with a 23-59 record lastseason.

Combined with the whimsical fate of ping-pong balls, the Knicks have the sixth pick in the upcoming draft. Six doesn't sound too bad until one remembersthat there are four, perhaps five, elite prospects in this draft.

Then again, if the Knicks want a replacement for Marbury, six isn't so bad when one considers that are there two elite point guards in this draft andthree others with potential.

Derrick Rose of Memphis, who was described by UCLA coach Ben Howland as the next Jason Kidd, likely will be Chicago's choice with the No.1 pick.

Jerryd Bayless of Arizona will not be far behind. Then there are three 'beauty-is-in-the-eye-of-the-beholder' point guards.

UCLA's Russell Westbrook, some believe, has the most upside. Leaving Westwood after his second season, the 6-foot-3 Westbrook was an excellent defenderin college and has terrific athleticism.

But Darren Collison was the lead guard at UCLA so Westbrook must prove he can run a team.

"When Darren and I were on the court, coach Howland said it was like having two point guards," Westbrook said after a recent workout with theKnicks.

Indiana's Eric Gordon seemingly got to the basket at will in college. He is a scorer/slasher, who, at 6-3, will have more trouble getting the shots hegot in college in the NBA.

D.J. Augustin of Texas is a true point guard. Augustin's problem is that he's 6-0, which means he can post up Nate Robinson, but no other NBA pointguards.

All five point guards could be drafted in the Top 10.

If Rose isn't the first player taken, Michael Beasley of Kansas State will be. Much like last year, when center Greg Oden and power forward Kevin Durantwent 1-2, this year's draft also focuses on two players - Rose and Beasley.

There isn't another NBA-ready power forward in this draft, though UCLA's Kevin Love is an intriguing talent. The free-spirited Love has 3-pointrange and was considered the nation's top prep player a year ago.

[h1]DONNIE, KNICKS ON THE CLOCK[/h1] [h2]WALSH LOOKS TO MAKE 'POINT' WITH NO. 6 PICK[/h2]
[h3]By MARC BERMAN[/h3]
[img]http://www.nypost.com/seven/06222008/photos/spo090a.jpg[/img]

Donnie Walsh

[img]http://www.nypost.com/img/slideshow/slideshow_controls_previous.gif[/img][img]http://www.nypost.com/img/slideshow/slideshow_controls_play.gif[/img][img]http://www.nypost.com/img/slideshow/slideshow_controls_next.gif[/img]

June 22, 2008 -- It is showtime for Donnie Walsh.

Walsh puts his big-time reputation and $5 million-a-year contract on the line, stepping to the plate at Thursday night's NBA Draft, trying to swat thekind of home run this Knicks franchise desperately needs.

Walsh hasn't had a lottery pick since 1997 - a credit to the consistency he built in Indiana across 22 drafts. But now he holds the No. 6 pick, theKnicks' future in his hands, looking to begin in one night a reversal of four-plus years of damage done by Isiah Thomas.

One year ago on draft night, Thomas sealed his fate by making what ultimately became his worst move - obtaining Zach Randolph's long-term contract thatnow Walsh tries to dispatch, if the club is to have a chance at getting under the salary cap in 2010.

Indications are Walsh and his new hire Mike D'Antoni want to come away from Thursday night with a point-guard-of-the-future, whether via trade (T.J.Ford and Leandro Barbosa are being heavily shopped) or from a collection of combo guards plentiful in the middle of the lottery.

During interviews, D'Antoni has told the guards who have worked out he's looking for "an engine" to run his high-powered attack.

If O.J. Mayo falls to six, the Knicks will not pass him up. He might be the most polished player in the draft.

Nevertheless, one person with knowledge of the Knicks' thinking believes the club's interest in Arizona point guard Jerryd Bayless is vastlyoverstated.

Bayless may not be there at six, but even if he is, Walsh and D'Antoni may take UCLA sophomore Russell Westbrook, or even Indiana's Eric Gordon. Agood defender with an unselfish way and explosive penetrator, the 6-foot-3 Westbrook is viewed as a potential facilitator at the point for many years.

Danilo Gallinari, the 19-year-old, 6-foot-10 forward from Italy, is the sexy pick and impressed in his Knicks workout with his size and strength. But the"Italian Stallion" may be too big a risk at 6 because he may be too raw. Ditto for the ultra talented LSU freshman Anthony Randolph, who may be tooraw.

However it goes, Walsh's first year as Knicks commando will be judged heavily on Thursday's events. The pick's performance in the Las Vegassummer-league in mid-July will be heavily scrutinized.

"There's a proud tradition of this franchise," Walsh said at the Orlando pre-draft camp in his last public comments. "Nobody likes theway things have gone. Everybody's committed to trying to turn it around. It isn't going to be turned around overnight."

The recent history of the sixth pick contains solid names - 2006 Rookie of the Year Brandon Roy, Chris Kaman, Josh Childress, Wally Szczerbiak, ShaneBattier and Antoine Walker.

So Walsh doesn't want to hear Thursday is a two-man draft with Derrick Rose and Michael Beasley. "Where did Brandon Roy go?" Walsh said."It was a one- or two-player draft then, too. He turned out to be rookie of the year."

The Knicks would get awfully lucky if Mayo fell to six. Despite scouts feeling he's close behind Beasley-Rose, Mayo agreed to work out for the Knicks.He played point guard in high school, shooting guard at USC and put on a shooting clinic during his Westchester workout.

"I think he's both, he can play both positions," Walsh said in Orlando. "I would consider him a really good basketball player who canplay either 1 or 2, which says he has point-guard skills. Not every guy who plays 2 has point-guard skills."

Walsh has made some strong picks - Rik Smits (No. 2, 1988), Reggie Miller (11, 1987) Antonio Davis (45th,), Al Harrington (25, 1998), Danny Granger (17,2005).

But he's also had his clunkers - George McCloud at 7 in 1989 over Tim Hardaway and Mookie Blaylock. That's when Walsh thought he could convertMcCloud into a point guard.

"Hardaway was the one I was looking at but I really thought George could play point guard," Walsh said last year on the Pacers' Web site."George was a good NBA player but that didn't turn out like I thought it would."

But he's also had his clunkers - George McCloud at 7 in 1989 over Tim Hardaway and Mookie Blaylock. That's when Walsh thought he could convert McCloud into a point guard.

"Hardaway was the one I was looking at but I really thought George could play point guard," Walsh said last year on the Pacers' Web site. "George was a good NBA player but that didn't turn out like I thought it would."

I always remember George McCloud as being a good 3 point shooter for a small forward for the nuggets and lakers
grin.gif
nerd.gif
...I never thought he would even be mistaken for a point guard
ohwell.gif

06b.jpg

[h2]Westbrook Won't Be Available At #11http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53114/20080621/westbrook_wont_be_available_at_#11/[/h2]
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53114/20080621/westbrook_wont_be_available_at_#11/
Jun 21, 2008 10:52 PM EST

ind_40.gif
UCLA guard Russell Westbrook has reportedly received a promise from a team selecting high in this Thursday's draft that he will not be on the board when the Pacers pick, according to The Indianapolis Star.

The Pacers have the eleventh pick and hoped that Westbrook would visit Indiana for a workout on Tuesday. However, he will reportedly not audition for the team because of the rumored "promise".

Via The Indianapolis Starhttp://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53114/20080621/westbrook_wont_be_available_at_#11/

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53114/20080621/westbrook_wont_be_available_at_#11/Indiana Pacers, NBA Draft

ny???
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Difference is Rose wasn't as realistic. I knew that, and it was a dream.

With LeBron, there are no ping pong balls.

It's NY, the Garden, and if we have the Cap room and the team is to his liking, and the Cavs have done nothing to better themselves....there is a good chance he'll be coming.

It also would be different if Isiah were running things...but now with Walsh, all indications are that he's trying to free up as much $ as possible.

The Nets are also trying to clear up cap space as well. And you guys know the deal with Jay-Z and LeBron.
Originally Posted by HarlemToTheBronx

Originally Posted by FlatbushKING

DJ Augustin workout w/ Trailblazers
D.J. Augustin looked great. He had his game going today, showing off just about everything that you'd like to see from an NBA point guard. He's 6-foot, but he's got good length and decent size in general. He shot the ball extremely well, going 38-of-50 during the 3-point shooting drill. His jumper is about as pretty as they come: smooth, compact and fluid. He went 9-for-10, 8-for-10 and 10-for-10 on the first three 3-point stations. He faded a little at the end, but that's to be expected after going full speed for an hour.

Augustin ran the pick and roll to near perfection. Super quick off the dribble. Displays a great pump fake that defenders bought just about every time. Pull up jumper was on the money (which obviously helps the pump fake). Knows what to do when he gets into the paint, be it finishing or finding the open man after drawing a defender. Likes to drive the lane and kick out to the open man on the perimeter. He also likes to cut and move without the ball. Adept at splitting double teams. He got to the basket numerous times by cutting in between two defenders

Man, I really want DJ.

The problem I have with him is that he is too under sized. This might cause a serious problem for us in the post, and a lot of mismatches coming our way.At this point (pun not intended) I'd rather take Westbrook over DJ.

1. Rose

2. Beasley

3. Lopez

4. Mayo

5. Love

6. Westbrook

Also, I have a feeling Crawford will get moved draft night, or someone is getting moved.

I still think the 1st 6 picks are in this order

1. Rose
2. Beasley
3. Lopez
4. Bayless
5. Love
6. Mayo

I'm still undecided as to who I want the Knicks to take, but I'm leaning towards Westbrook... assuming if Mayo is off the board.

I wouldn't be against DJ though.

Can anybody give me the cons to DJ Augustin aside from his size? I think he'd be a great fit for what we need.

EXCLUSIVE

[h1]MARBURY SPEAKS[/h1] [h2]STEPHON: ISIAH WANTED TO BUY ME OUT[/h2]
[h3]By MARC BERMAN[/h3]
[img]http://www.nypost.com/seven/06232008/photos/spo076b.jpg[/img]

BLAST FROM THE PAST:Stephon MarburyStephon Marbury
t.gif
said former KnicksNew York Knicks
t.gif
coach Isiah Thomas was looking to buy out his contract in November and that he never went AWOL.

exclusive.gif

June 23, 2008 --

Stephon Marbury is happy to look ahead to a Mike D'Antoni future, not an Isiah Thomas past. Marbury said he feels he has a new lease on his Knickscareer, even if president Donnie Walsh and coach D'Antoni may look for a point-guard-of-the-future during Thursday night's draft.

With one year left on his pact, Marbury is trying to rejuvenate his ankle and image this offseason. Marbury will practice with the Knicks' summer leagueteam in Las Vegas next month. He jogged the Hollywood Hills for a full month following Walsh's order to get in the best shape of his career.

Marbury is working out at the Knicks Westchester facility with an old Phoenix friend, former Suns assistant Phil Weber, now on D'Antoni's Knicksstaff.

Get More at Berman's Knicks Blog

"I'm full throttle," Marbury said.

Had Thomas stayed in power, Marbury said he knows his contract would have been bought out after the season. In an interview with The Post yesterday, Marburysaid his contract was nearly bought out in November amidst the Nov. 13 Phoenix fiasco, when Marbury left the Knicks reportedly because he wasn't going tostart anymore.

According to Marbury, Thomas did not just want him out of the starting lineup for Mardy CollinsMardy Collins
t.gif
in November, Thomas wanted him out of the organization and sent him home to have his contract boughtout. Marbury said he still doesn't know how things changed the next day, when summoned back to Phoenix, the talk of a buyout history.

"Going AWOL is something I never would do," Marbury told The Post. "I would never just get up and walk out on the team and say, 'Idon't want to play because I'm not going to start.'

"Why would I want to lose $250,000?" Marbury said. "The fans thought I just left the Knicks because Mardy was going to start over me. I wassent home for other reasons, not because I wasn't going to start. He wanted to go in a different direction. (Thomas) felt I wasn't going to get the jobdone."

Thomas fined Marbury but never commented on why Marbury left Phoenix, even after Marbury appealed the fine and said to The Post he was told to leave.

It's over now, and though Marbury still can't explain the sudden rift with Thomas, he's hoping a new regime will give him a chance to reverselast season's tragedy.

Three loved ones passed away - his aunt, Helen, his AAU coaching mentor, Lou "Mr. Lou" Williams, and his father, Don. "I had to mourn inpublic," Marbury said.

Marbury played just 24 games last season. His season was over in January after left ankle surgery. The 23-59 Knicks were not better without Marbury, but hestill became the poster boy for that record.

"People say I'm sulking on the bench because I have towel on my head," Marbury said. "I'm keeping my head warm. I've done itsince college. When we're losing, yes, I look mad. I am mad. I hate losing. You want me to be jumping up and down happy when we're losing?"

Marbury discounts claims he's not right for D'Antoni's system because he's 31 and Phoenix already traded him in January 2004.

"Mike didn't trade me," Marbury said. "He didn't have that power then. It's the way I play - up and down. Seven seconds or less.How can I not fit into that? You can push the ball. He's a guard's coach. I still have four, five years at a high level. I'm only 31, not41."

[email protected]

Originally Posted by NYK orange and blue

One year ago on draft night, Thomas sealed his fate by making what ultimately became his worst move - obtaining Zach Randolph's long-term contract that now Walsh tries to dispatch, if the club is to have a chance at getting under the salary cap in 2010.

eyes.gif
i could think of a few worse. Sure Z Bo sucks at certain aspects ofthe game but at least he still has somewhat skilled and is definitley more talented than Frye/bum Francis and we cleared Francis' contract as well. Sure itwas a bad move but i wouldnt say his worse. Aquiring Francis was definitley worse than trading him for Z Bo imo. And signing both the JJs were worse moves aswell... but #1 has GOT TO be the %@%%%$+ Curry trade, that is in my top 3 worst Knicks trades of all time. It probably goes the Ewing trade at 1, that at 2,and Spree for KVH at 3, but all are very close in order. Z Bo was a bad move, but not his worst... maybe his most untimely (Clyde Frazier word
laugh.gif
) since his job was on the line 110%.

Nevertheless, one person with knowledge of the Knicks' thinking believes the club's interest in Arizona point guard Jerryd Bayless is vastlyoverstated.
Bayless may not be there at six, but even if he is, Walsh and D'Antoni may take UCLA sophomore Russell Westbrook, or even Indiana's Eric Gordon. A good defender with an unselfish way and explosive penetrator, the 6-foot-3 Westbrook is viewed as a potential facilitator at the point for many years.
good i dont want Bayless. i dont think he could develop into a great PG besides his scoring which we dont need. And i would rather take a guy whocould effectively run the point and play great D like Westbrook or even DJ over another talented but undersized SG... dont matter though i hear he has prettymuch a guarentee from Seattle at 4.
Can anybody give me the cons to DJ Augustin aside from his size? I think he'd be a great fit for what we need.
I agree. DJ is soo talented and is such a great leader. sure size is a factor but people are making far too big of a deal about it. Size is suchan overated factor for a PG. DJ Augustine is vastly underated right now because of his size, but he does almost everything right on the court. After Rose he isprobably the best floor general out there, hes got a nice shot, he plays D, and he is a leader. I would not be upset at all even if we picked him at 6. He canplay i can give a #+$@ abput size, obviously it weigs in there but it shouldnt be enough to move a kid as talented as he is and as a PG out of the top 10 likesome scouts think so.

and about Mayo sure you can give that rundown with Rose, Beasley, Lopez, Bayless, Love, and than Mayo. I mean it is probably true. According to that we shouldget Mayo but as much as i want him i still doubt he comes to us. I can almost guarentee there will be trades amongst the top 5. I feel that Minny will tradedown their #3 pick to a team like the Clippers who want Mayo badly. I dont believe we have the resources or the cap room to trade up but LAC would. Minny wantsLopez but if they trade down they could still get him without picking at #3 if they moved down to LAs 7th pick. Yes if there is no trades Mayo will probablyfall to us but i think he will get picked right after Rose and Beasley because some team will trade up to get him. There is a very slim chance that he wouldfall all the way to 6 because the order will probably not remain as it is right now come Thursday.

^^Yeap...hit the nail right on the head. I doubt Mayo will still be there by #6. The Clippers have the resources, and personnel to trade all the way up to #3.Minnesota would still have an excellent chance at picking up Lopez at #7.

Look for the Clippers to move Mobley and Parker. They may even decided to move Maggette and Brand, because they have expiring contracts coming up.

I also expect other teams to try to trade up, the Knicks might end up moving Marbury draft night along with Crawford or Z-Bo.

And
smh.gif
at the dude for posting a NY Post article. You know that paper is filled with nothing, but lies.
laugh.gif

Not arguing or anything, but who do the Clippers have that the T'wolves could want? Outside of Al Thornton(who I would believe is untradeable) there isnobody to fit into Minny's rebuilding stage.

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

^^Yeap...hit the nail right on the head. I doubt Mayo will still be there by #6. The Clippers have the resources, and personnel to trade all the way up to #3. Minnesota would still have an excellent chance at picking up Lopez at #7.

Look for the Clippers to move Mobley and Parker. They may even decided to move Maggette and Brand, because they have expiring contracts coming up.

I also expect other teams to try to trade up, the Knicks might end up moving Marbury draft night along with Crawford or Z-Bo.

And
smh.gif
at the dude for posting a NY Post article. You know that paper is filled with nothing, but lies.
laugh.gif

i have been a loyal fan throughout all the garbage years...but i swear...if we do not let marbury's 20 mil come off the books at the end of this year imay thoroughly consider jumping ship.

I have faith in Walsh letting Steph's contract expire. There's no reason to think he'll do something Isiah-esque like trading him.

I think he knows we have to rebuild the right way.

Not arguing or anything, but who do the Clippers have that the T'wolves could want? Outside of Al Thornton(who I would believe is untradeable) there is nobody to fit into Minny's rebuilding stage.

The Clippers have a lot of expiring contracts that would intise the Wolves. Brand and Maggette both have expiring contracts.

Not arguing or anything, but who do the Clippers have that the T'wolves could want? Outside of Al Thornton(who I would believe is untradeable) there is nobody to fit into Minny's rebuilding stage.

The Clippers have a lot of expiring contracts that would intise the Wolves. Brand and Maggette both have expiring contracts.

word along with that #7 pick the Clips definitley got eough to move up to #3 especially since the guy Minny wants would be available at 7... but even if notthe Clips there are other teams as well and the Knicks would not trade up cause we dont have the resoruces and if we tried to we would probably have to addmore cap room with more bad contracts and still trade young players which would kill us for 2010... OJ isnt worth that much, if he falls to 6 he is a steal butthe Knicks cant move up.

also does anyone know the deal with buying out? Like if we bought Stephons contract out instead of trading him would his $/ still come all off the bookswhen we buy him out? Or do we stillhave to wait til his contract expires? Im confused on all that cause if we could just get the whole contract off the booksin 1 year we should try and buy out like 6 players
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by THE GR8

also does anyone know the deal with buying out? Like if we bought Stephons contract out instead of trading him would his $/ still come all off the books when we buy him out? Or do we stillhave to wait til his contract expires? Im confused on all that cause if we could just get the whole contract off the books in 1 year we should try and buy out like 6 players
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

^^if we do a buy out, his contract is still in the books and we would have to wait for it to expire. We're just paying for him to stay at home. I.E. SteveFrancis and Blazers.

When we traded him to the Blazers, they ended up buying him out. Although, his contract is still in the books.

smh.gif
at us for not keeping him. His contract ends next season.

And you really think Elton Brand will be traded? And I can't see them trading Maggette and having to take on a terrible contract like Marko Jaric or Antoine Walker.

Antoine Walker has a team option on his contract after this year...and Marco Jaric has 3 years left on his contract. The wolves also have a lot of close toending contracts.

Back
Top Bottom