OFFICIAL NEW YORK KNICKS OFFSEASON THREAD: TRAINING CAMP

Originally Posted by petermans

why did isiah trade ariza
smh.gif

I forgot who we got in return.

I wish I could go, but I don't think I could justify the flight from Florida just for the draft
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Big J 33

I wish I could go, but I don't think I could justify the flight from Florida just for the draft
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I've been going to the draft every year since it startedand I'm surprised as to how many people are actually from out of town and not from NY... a few years ago, I remember seeing these Boston Celtic fans comein a group of 10...oddly enough, they were all wearing Bird jerseys
eek.gif
roll.gif

^ I would... if I had the $$$ or wasn't working.

I will be going up at the end of summer though to catch a Yankee and Mets game... so I got that going for me
laugh.gif

Can I be a 75% NJ and a 25% NY fan?

I'm not really a fan but I do root for NY, do you guys accept me?
laugh.gif

I want to put some of my Fanhood into NY.

Man, I've been thinking of going to the draft myself, but IDK if i can handle myself if the Knicks made a wrong move and I go ahead and flip out onsomeone.

Originally Posted by Not a sneak

Uh oh,

Seeing THE GR8 is like going to see Oz.
laugh.gif

Hopefully my fanhood will be accepted.

THE GR8? But nobody can see THE GR8! Nobody's ever seen THE GR8!!!!

^^
laugh.gif

[h1]CHARLIE HAS DOUBLE VISION[/h1] [h2]WARD NOW TWO-SPORT COACH[/h2]
[h3]By MARK HALE[/h3]
[img]http://www.nypost.com/seven/06152008/photos/sports087a.jpg[/img]

GOOD MENTOR: Former KnicksNew York Knicks
t.gif
guard Charlie Ward, who is head coach of the Westbury Christian football team in Houston, is also the assistant coach of the school's basketball team.

June 15, 2008 -- Charlie Ward's tenure with the Knicks lasted almost a decade, and in 1999, the point guard led Jeff Van Gundy's underdogs to theNBA Finals, where they lost in five games to the Spurs.

Despite the disappointment in the Finals, it was a good career for Ward in New York, following a brilliant one at Florida State. How brilliant? Ward, whoplayed football and baskeball with the Seminoles, was one of the best college athletes of the 1990s, winning a national football championship and a HeismanTrophy in 1993. The Florida State basketball coaching staff called him Saint Charlie.

At a school in Houston, Saint Charlie has become Coach Ward.

Today, Ward has a new job, one that's got him back in school and back in football. Early this year, Ward was named head coach of the varsity footballteam at Westbury Christian School, and when he mans the sidelines for his first game on Aug. 29, Ward will be involved in his own version of Friday NightLights.

No more NBA or NCAA. Now Ward's league is TAPPS - Texas Association of Private Parochial Schools. And it's not Madison Square Garden, theWorld's Most Famous Arena. It's Fun Stadium, a venue with an estimated capacity of 1,500.

"But it has a lot of room," Ward told The Post. "It has stands. But then it has a lot of room on the side if you need."

Ward coaching at the pre-kindergarten-through-12 school in Houston came about because of a meeting in the 2007 NBA playoffs. Westbury Christian's formerassistant basketball coach Gersson Rosas is currently a Rockets employee, and at the time, Ward was a Rockets assistant coach. Rosas invited Greg Glenn, whowas working for Westbury (he's now its executive director), to a Rockets game and Glenn was told at halftime that Ward wanted to meet him. They did soafter the game, and according to Glenn, Ward told him he had heard good things about Westbury.

The next day, Ward dropped by Westbury. In August, he began working there.

"It basically came down to family lifestyle," said Ward, who turns 38 in October. "We were in the process of wanting to be stable, and one ofthe ways to be stable or have some stability is to be in a situation where you're comfortable with administration and comfortable being yourself.That's something that Westbury Christian has offered me the opportunity to do."

Glenn said Ward told him he "was tired of getting on planes and being gone all over the place."

So the former Knick and Seminole ended up as an assistant basketball coach, while also working with the football team.

"I told him that all of our Heisman Trophy winners had to go out and help with football," Glenn said.

The team needs it. It's not like Ward's taking over the YankeesNew York Yankees
t.gif
or Lakers, perennial winners. Westbury Christian will be entering its 11th season of football.Total playoff berths? One. Last year? The Wildcats were winless.

As a head coach, Ward has developed his own style. One of the things Ward does is hand his team a word of the day. He gives the players a word such as"commitment" or "purpose," and according to junior Kohlton Fry, the players are supposed to keep that word in their heads on the field.

"The word of the day really centers me and brings me back," fellow junior Jared Jernigan said.

Ward's done other things, too. He's had practices where everyone on the team learned every position, not just his own. He calls his program a"football ministry."

Pat Kennedy, Ward's former basketball coach at Florida State, talks about how Ward "led by great example" in addition to "greatpresence."

Van Gundy went from coaching Ward to coaching with him. Ward was his assistant for two years in Houston, and Van Gundy said he was impressed withhis coaching ability.

"[He was] a tremendous mentor to particularly the younger player who maybe was not as quite stable."

It remains to be seen whether Ward can turn the Westbury Christian Wildcats around. That mission starts on Aug. 29, Game 1 against Kipp Academy.

[email protected]

Originally Posted by Not a sneak

Uh oh,

Seeing THE GR8 is like going to see Oz.
laugh.gif

Hopefully my fanhood will be accepted.

.......................... NAHHHHHHHH

76535512e12fae23cbe216d85626757295c2d93.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
at the pics

and just for the sake of the argument... Not a seak were you a swamprat pre 2000? Because that is also a big time determing factor. Because im not acceptingany frontrunning mother !*%$!! who turns his back on his team to go to another team on the rise back into that team. A real fan sticks with his team no matterwhat and than when the good times do come (i really have no %!$!%+% clue when that will be) it will make it all the sweeter.

But for real i was watching the finals last night and i really thought for the first time in a while i was just like oh my god will the Knicks EVER be backin this any time soon during my lifetime
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
mad.gif

not looking forward to teh draft bc Mayo and Bayless will probably be gone
smh.gif

btw, just throwing it out there, but u think the Knicks would ever consider getting Shaun Livingston? He was one of my favorite up and coming players before hedestroyed his knee, i figure if they were willing to give a multi-year mid-level contract to Jerome James and Jared Jefferies, why not take a chance?...

The clippers declined his 5.8 option, and probably won't give him a multi-year contract...why not give a 2 year mid-level deal to a 22 year old who was apass-first PG w/ great defensive skills...they've thrown away money in a worse way before^

lol, my bad, i don't reallly check NT that often, i see that now^...

just thought it made sense bc i can't see the team spending that 5 mil on anything else worthwhile, and it can't hurt to give a contract as long as itdoesn't affect 2010

Back
Top Bottom