OFFICIAL NEW YORK KNICKS OFFSEASON THREAD: TRAINING CAMP

I'll be content with OJ, Bayless or...

This Randolph can play

This story ran in the first two print editions of The Post today but did not get in late, pulled by Lakers game story. Here it is.

By MARC BERMAN

ORLANDO - There's another 6-10, small-forward, teenaged prodigy born in Europe on the Knicks' radar. And it's not the Italian Stallion, DinoGallinari.

During media availability yesterday for lottery hopefuls, LSU freshman Anthony Randolph said he believes the Knicks, Charlotte and Milwaukee have shown themost interest in him of the lottery clubs. Like Gallinari, Randolph can play power forward and small forward but is more athletic than Gallinari and blocksshots, a big priority for Knicks president Donnie Walsh.
Randolph said he's already scheduled a workout with the Knicks in June. Randolph grew up in Dallas but was born in Germany. Randolph averaged 15.6 pointsand 8.5 rebounds and 2.3 blocks. "I would love to play for New York,'' Randolph said. " A great city, fans are great down there and to beable to play under a coach (Mike D'Antoni) that would be a strength because he likes to play up and down and that's the game I'm most accustomedto.''

Randolph is late on the lottery scene. "I've been underestimated my whole life,'' Randolph said.

Told the Knicks were last in shotblocking, Randolph said, "I'm going to raise it up and make it higher.''

Walsh would love to draft a point guard but has to decide if Jerryd Bayless is a playmaker the club needs. The Arizona guard said he grew up watching MikeD'Antoni's offense and Steve Nash has showed him "tricks.''

And I commented on this before...

If Walsh was callin the shots in Pacers drafts..

- Al Harrington, Bender, Granger, Shawne Williams...

All rangy, athletic guys and excluding Granger drafted based off of potential.

Randolph fits that mold.

HTTB/NYK Orange and Blue ,am I still pessimistic??
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

i wouldnt mind Randolph but he might be high for a # 6.

Tim Thomas
KVH
Jeffries

if we draft him, son BETTER pay off down the line

I'd just be concerned if he can handle NY. Kid is shy and wasn't sure if he was ready for the NBA life.

Give me Mayo, Bayless or DeAndre Jordan. If the T'wolves take Lopez at 3 and the Sonics take Mayo at 4 the Knicks will get Bayless at 6. That's what weneed.

^^i dont want Bayless give me Mayo. im hoping Seattle will take Bayless at 4. Than Memphis will take a big man or something at 5 cause they wont take a guardafter drafting conley last year. Than we get Mayo. If not than we should either trade the pick or draft DJ Augustine if he is not considered such a reach. Iwould not be opposed to trading the pick if Mayo is gone. i do not want Bayless and i would rather clear some cap space and maybe get an impact playing veteranwhile clearing up some cap as well. Or maybe trade down, clear up cap so we get some later picks as well.

[h1]KNICKS: Eddy moving his feet[/h1]BY ALAN HAHN | [email protected] June 1, 2008
[h4]Article tools[/h4]

Run, Eddy, run!

Knicks center Eddy Curry, who had season-ending knee surgery March 17, has been cleared to begin his offseason workout program this week. And the 6-11, 290-pound Curry, who is back working out at Tim Grover's Attack Athletics facility in Chicago, can expect a full regimen of wind sprints to prepare Big Eddy for new coach Mike D'Antoni's up-tempo system.

D'Antoni, who had to incorporate the equally lumbering Shaquille O'Neal in his run-and-gun style with the Phoenix Suns, said he hopes to utilize Curry a great deal in the game plan next season. And it's up to Grover to get Curry prepared for it.

"It's never that he can't, it's does he want to?" said Grover, who has worked with Curry since he entered the NBA out of high school in 2001 and is fully aware of Curry's issues with putting in the work.

Quentin Richardson also is working out at Attack, and Grover said Richardson is drawing from his season with D'Antoni and the Suns in 2004-05. Richardson, who is working out with Dwyane Wade and draft prospect O.J. Mayo, is focusing most on his speed on the wings and getting to the corners for catch-and-shoot three-pointers.

Curry, who suffered torn cartilage, can begin non-contact drills - running and jumping - this week. He hopes to rebound from a forgettable follow-up to a breakthrough 2006-07 season in which he averaged 19.5 points and 7.0 rebounds per game.

He entered training camp announcing he was 20 pounds lighter, but by midseason it was apparent that the girth was back and his confidence was gone after major chemistry issues on the court with Zach Randolph. Isiah Thomas started benching Curry late in games and said Curry was not suited for the new style of the NBA game.

D'Antoni doesn't believe that. Neither does Grover. In the D'Antoni system, the big man usually follows the break and can be an outlet for a mid-range jumper, something Curry insists he has in his repertoire, though Thomas never tried to utilize it. D'Antoni also is sure to incorporate a lot of the pick-and-roll plays that Curry and Jamal Crawford turned into alley-oops.

All the D'Antoni system calls for from Curry is to remain in constant motion. "If he does," Grover said, "then he'll get baskets very easy."

Notes & quotes: Mayo expects to get an invitation from the Knicks, who will begin player workouts Wednesday. UCLA forward Kevin Love already has a workout scheduled with the Knicks and Italian prospect Danilo Gallinari will come to the United States June 10 to begin working out with teams, including the Knicks. Donnie Walsh said he likely will bring in about 15 players during the next few weeks leading up to the June 26 draft. Expect a wide range of names on the invite list, including some players who might not even reach the sixth overall pick . . . A league executive responded to a story in Saturday's Newsday that said NBA executives don't believe Stephon Marbury has trade value, even with his expiring contract. "He has value, but it is limited," the executive said. "Could you convince somebody to suffer through a year of paying 'Starbury' in order to have financial freedom? The problem for the Knicks is that they wouldn't want to take on players that would be on the books in 2010."

^^Curry is a !#$#$. Get rid of him, he is TRASH. He cannot follow the break cause he cant move, he cant take shots from the mid range if he gets it and if hegets it from behind he doesnt have the athletisism or skill like amare does to take it to the hoop for a slam. He is a cancer to this team and will hurt ourstyle of play offensively and especially defensively. Trade his #@* ASAP

Originally Posted by THE GR8

^^i dont want Bayless give me Mayo. im hoping Seattle will take Bayless at 4. Than Memphis will take a big man or something at 5 cause they wont take a guard after drafting conley last year. Than we get Mayo. If not than we should either trade the pick or draft DJ Augustine if he is not considered such a reach. I would not be opposed to trading the pick if Mayo is gone. i do not want Bayless and i would rather clear some cap space and maybe get an impact playing veteran while clearing up some cap as well. Or maybe trade down, clear up cap so we get some later picks as well.
Just curious, why no Bayless?

^^Right now we are looking to get a new look for a franchise. i do not want our first pick on our new look team to be another scoring PG and one with terriblepassing vision. He cannot get his team into the game and although he may be a good player some day i do not want to start our team around him at the point.Arizona was far more talented than the way they played last year. Part of the reason was because Bayless cant play a team style and guys like ChaseBuddinger's production dropped a whole lot with him running the point. We just got done with Marbury and i would rather trade the pick to clear cap spaceor get a player that is talented and can fit in right away with this team over Baryless but not Mayo. or trade down and get multiple picks and get a PG thatcan play a team game and has everythinng we want in a PG right now like DJ augustine.

^^Right now we are looking to get a new look for a franchise. i do not want our first pick on our new look team to be another scoring PG and one with terrible passing vision. He cannot get his team into the game and although he may be a good player some day i do not want to start our team around him at the point. Arizona was far more talented than the way they played last year. Part of the reason was because Bayless cant play a team style and guys like Chase Buddinger's production dropped a whole lot with him running the point. We just got done with Marbury and i would rather trade the pick to clear cap space or get a player that is talented and can fit in right away with this team over Baryless but not Mayo. or trade down and get multiple picks and get a PG that can play a team game and has everythinng we want in a PG right now like DJ augustine.

I disagree that Bayless was to blame for Arizona's short comings. He carried that team in many games, the real cancer to that team was KevinO'neill. Buddinger's production dropped because he's your typical stand still shooter. Of course that's easy to say in hindsight, but nobodyrespected O'neill on that team and he lost the players, thus the underachieving. Also Zona has been underachieving for the past few seasons, before Baylesseven got there.

Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

^
happy.gif

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
@ the thought of Curry taking midrange shots

word. I remember last year and even before whenever he got the ball more than 5 ft from the hoop he just looked like what the +!@! am i supposed to do? Hecant shoot so that was a no. He cant dribble and take it in. and he has 0 awareness or passing skills. He just kind of chucked it up and i know yall rememmbersome of bis shots this year, like off the glass no rim
sick.gif

and no im not saying Bayless was to blame for Arizonas struggles but i am saying he didnt help. yes he carried them but as a scorer io know he can score buthis game is not diverse. It really is not even close to diverse as Marburys and look how he turned out. i mean although Marbury was always a scoring PG i thinkhe had a more dicverse scoring game than Bayless and was way better at taking it to the rim, and although you can consider him a ball hog at his prime therreis no doubting that he was a TREMENDOUS passer and had phenominal vsion, he was always dishing out SICK passes and averaging 8+ apg on the regular. he hadgreat 0assing skills and awareness which is 2 areas where Baylesss lacks.

Again im not saying Bayless will be bad. I am saying that i do not want him at the point when we starting a new team. If it came down to it where he wasavailable at 6 and OJ wasnt i would rather treade the pick and either clear cap space and get later picks so we can get DJ Augustine and a second rounder or 2or trade it for a guy who can help us rightaway a guy like Barbosa and still sstick a bad contract in there. I think those are both FAR better options thandrafting Bayless. Than again if Miami wants Mayo bad we can possibly make a deal and trade up to get Beasley...
smokin.gif

^^I think OJ could mold into a PG. i think his overall skills are way better than Bayless. He is better at taking it in, and i think his passing vision andcourt awareness are better than Bayless but he is like Marbury in that he just doesnt pass that much. I think Mayo can be molded into a very good PG and i justdont think Bayless has that skill set that OJ does. i dont even think hes close. OJ is just too much skill to pass up at #6, not to mention he is a WAYYYbetter defender.

^ I think he would be SG too.

^^I think OJ could mold into a PG. i think his overall skills are way better than Bayless. He is better at taking it in, and i think his passing vision and court awareness are better than Bayless but he is like Marbury in that he just doesnt pass that much. I think Mayo can be molded into a very good PG and i just dont think Bayless has that skill set that OJ does. i dont even think hes close. OJ is just too much skill to pass up at #6, not to mention he is a WAYYY better defender.

Yea but I don't think there's any way OJ is available at #6 that's why IMO I'm ok with Bayless I've always liked the kid and I thinkhe'd be a great pick.

Yeah, my opinion of the guy is he is a SG through and through

I think Bayless attacks the rim better. OJ has a more well rounded game right now, but Bayless has more potential IMO.

I'd be pleased with either at 6, really.

Bayless is a lock at #4 to seattle. Honestly if Mayo isn't there I think we should move down and nab Augustin and pick up something else along the way.

Originally Posted by worldbeefreeg

Bayless is a lock at #4 to seattle. Honestly if Mayo isn't there I think we should move down and nab Augustin and pick up something else along the way.

we on the same page my brotha
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom