Official New York Giants 2013 Off-Season thread: (2014 schedule on page 87)

Will Hill likely 'done' with Giants as safety faces another drug-related suspension
BY RALPH VACCHIANO NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 10:12 AM A A A

SHARE THIS URL

New York Giants' Will Hill (25) runs into the end zone for a touchdown after intercepting Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford (9), background, during the fourth quarter of an NFL football game in Detroit, Sunday, Dec. 22, 2013. (AP Photo/Paul Sancya)
PAUL SANCYA/AP

Giants safety Will Hill has been on the run from drug trouble for years, but after his latest violation of the league's drug policy he may have run himself right out of the NFL.
Will Hill, the troubled but talented Giants safety, is facing a drug-related suspension for the third straight year -- and this time it will likely cost him his Giants career.
Hill, 24, failed a recent drug test, according to multiple NFL sources and both he and the Giants have been informed of the results. Hill is planning to appeal those results, one source added, in the hopes of avoiding what could be a six- or eight-game suspension.

Whether he wins the appeal or not, though, one team source added that the Giants are livid at Hill’s continued drug issues and he’s likely “done” with the team, whether he wins his appeal or not.

It’s unclear whether Hill’s latest violation was for a Performance Enhancing Drug – like it was in 2012 when he claimed he failed for taking Adderall – or for other drugs – like in 2013 when he admitted he had been smoking marijuana. It’s also unclear when he failed the test, and whether it was related to his arrest last December for not paying child support. The police report from that incident reportedly noted the smell of marijuana coming from his car.

If Hill’s failed test was for marijuana or another recreational drug – as some suspect – he could be in line for a suspension of six games. There was also a possibility, depending on the specifics, of a year-long suspension, depending on what stage of the drug program he's in under the NFL's substance abuse policy. But one team source insisted Hill's most recent violation would not qualify him for a suspension that long.

If he violated the PED policy again, his suspension would be for eight games.

The Giants are not allowed to comment on Hill’s latest trouble -- which was first reported by Fox Sports and the Newark Star-Ledger -- according to the rules of the NFL’s confidential drug policy. Neither Hill nor his agent could be immediately reached for comment.

None of this is surprising to anyone who has followed Hill’s troubled career, dating back to his days as a highly-touted high school star in New Jersey. His troubles followed him to the University of Florida and into the NFL draft where concerns about his character were so intense that he wasn’t drafted and then wasn’t even signed.
The Giants took a chance on him in 2012 and his talent made him a hidden gem, but he couldn’t stay out of trouble. He admittedly failed “a lot” of drug tests during his rookie season, and the next spring spent time in treatment centers in Boston and Parsippany, N.J., at the urging of the team. Several times coaches publicly expressed concern about Hill, though the team continued to stand by him.

After his suspension was announced last season, Hill said he spoke to Tom Coughlin – who admitted he was “disappointed” – and others in the Giants’ organization. “I talked to my team and they just told me to keep moving forward and keep being positive,” he said last summer. “Just don’t have any more mishaps.”
Now that he’s had another, it seems unlikely the team will stand by him again.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gi...sion-looms-blog-entry-1.1764559#ixzz2ziJ97Rc1

This is bad news. I thought he was a solid player and would have a big year. He's about to be cut from the team now.

Really excited about how this defense will look this season considering their strong play last season, plus with this new offensive line and depth at RB from week 1.

McAdoo will rejuvenate this Giants offense once again, Eli should bounce back with some much needed protection.

2014 schedule

Week 1: at Detroit Lions - Monday Night Football
Week 2: vs Arizona Cardinals
Week 3: vs Houston Texans
Week 4: at Washington ******** - Thursday Night Football
Week 5: vs Atlanta Falcons
Week 6: at Philadelphia Eagles - Sunday Night Football
Week 7: at Dallas Cowboys
Week 8: Bye
Week 9: vs Indianapolis Colts - Monday Night Football
Week 10: at Seattle Seahawks
Week 11: vs San Francisco 49ers
Week 12: vs Dallas Cowboys - Sunday Night Football
Week 13: at Jacksonville Jaguars
Week 14: at Tennessee Titans
Week 15: vs Washington ********
Week 16: at St. Louis Rams
Week 17: vs Philadelphia Eagles

2014 schedule

Week 1: at Detroit Lions - Monday Night Football
Week 2: vs Arizona Cardinals
Week 3: vs Houston Texans
Week 4: at Washington ******** - Thursday Night Football
Week 5: vs Atlanta Falcons
Week 6: at Philadelphia Eagles - Sunday Night Football
Week 7: at Dallas Cowboys
Week 8: Bye
Week 9: vs Indianapolis Colts - Monday Night Football
Week 10: at Seattle Seahawks
Week 11: vs San Francisco 49ers
Week 12: vs Dallas Cowboys - Sunday Night Football
Week 13: at Jacksonville Jaguars
Week 14: at Tennessee Titans
Week 15: vs Washington ********
Week 16: at St. Louis Rams
Week 17: vs Philadelphia Eagles

Very tough schedule especially first 12 weeks. 3 division road games in 4 games before the bye is nuts.

Nicks returns to NY week 9, Sea in their house and SF at home back to back....yuck

We better sweep every games starting in week 13

Lets hope we do work in the draft

difficult sure, brutal? meh.

I wouldn't want an easy schedule anyways, this kind of thing prepares you for the playoffs if you make it.

You just have to focus on winning the division.

Schedule isn't bad at all. I love the second half of it. Definitely not easy but not too bad.

So who you guys want in this draft? We're still missing a starter at TE, and have ?s at almost every spot:

OT: is Beatty done? If he continues to regress we can cut w/ minimal cap hit after this yr
DE: is JPP worth resigning, is Damontre good enough and ready to replace Tuck
WR: Can Randle be a 1? Does manningham/jernigan have enough to start?
C: Baas is gone, and the guy we signed isn't good
G: Snee retiring next year
DT: Hankins didn't play much last year, and there's not much depth behind him (Patterson and Kuhn)
RB: Is Wilson done, and do we really want Rashad Jennings as a feature back?
S: Rolle's contract over after this year, Stevie on a 1 year prove-it deal. Will Hill probably done here
CB: Will we resign Prince?
LB: Can easily upgrade at this position

Seems like if there's a year where we literally take best player available, this is it. I won't pretend to be a scout or avid college football fan, but from what I've read, I guess Lewan, Evans, Barr are game changing talents if they fall to 12. Rasheed Hageman kind of stands out too, so I'd be happy with any of those 4. I dont really think we use a TE enough to get first round value picking Ebron, and I'm not sure how good he even is, but that's just my thoughts.

Who will the Giants take at 12? A consensus is emerging among the nation's Mock Drafters. Here's a list ...
From selected Mock Drafts around the country (and the internet), here’s an updated look at the mockers' choices for the Giants' pick at 12th overall in the first round of the NFL Draft:

(Some interesting notes: 16 of 22 picked an offensive player. Eight of those 16 went for an offensive lineman. And 10 went for either Notre Dame OL Zack Martin (6) or North Carolina TE Eric Ebron (4):

Rob Rang, CBSsports.com – TE Eric Ebron, North Carolina

Dane Brugler, CBSsports.com – OL Zack Martin, Notre Dame

Pete Prisco, CBSsports.com – TE Eric Ebron, North Carolina

Pat Kirwan, CBSsports.com – OL Zack Martin, Notre Dame

Will Brinson, CBSsports.com – OL Zack Martin, Notre Dame

SBNation.com – OL Zack Martin, Notre Dame

Don Banks, SI.com – TE Eric Ebron, North Carolina

Chris Burke, SI.com – OL Taylor Lewan, Michigan

Doug Farrar, SI.com -- WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M

WalterFootball.com – OL Zack Martin, Notre Dame

Charlie Campbell, WalterFootball.com – OL Jake Matthews, Texas A&M

Bucky Brooks, NFL.com – DT Aaron Donald, Pittsburgh

Charles Davis, NFL.com – OL Zack Martin, Notre Dame

Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com – TE Eric Ebron, North Carolina

Brian Baldinger, NFL.com – LB C.J. Mosley, Alabama

Bryan Fischer, NFL.com – WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M;

Mike Huguenin, NFL.com – OT Taylor Lewan, Michigan

Chase Goodbread, NFL.com – CB Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State

Matt Smith, NFL.com – LB Anthony Barr, UCLA

Mel Kiper, ESPN – DT Aaron Donald, Pittsburgh

Todd McShay, ESPN -- WR Odell Beckham Jr., LSU

Cory Bonini, KFFL.com – S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Alabama

I think the only way the NYG go wrong with this pick is if they take a CB.

Any other position I'm okay with.

At this point I want Donald first, but if he's not there Ebron

Are the Giants still in the running for Hard Knocks? I understand some fans may want to stay as far away from that as possible but I would like to see the Jints on there.

Report: Giants thought likely to “seriously consider” Manziel if he slides to No. 12

Posted by Mike Wilkening on May 8, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
Johnny Manziel
AP

How about another light coat of mystery concerning where Johnny Manziel lands on Thursday night?

According to Jordan Raanan of NJ.com, the Giants, who select No. 12, could conceivably be in play for Manziel. Raanan, who cited a source “with knowledge of the team’s draft philosophy,” reported that the Giants “would seriously consider drafting” Manziel, the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner.

Of course, plenty of NFL Draft plans are considered and then scrapped. Given the Giants’ investment in Eli Manning and their needs at other positions, taking a quarterback 12th overall doesn’t seem likely.

The bigger issue for the Giants, though, is that the prospect of them selecting a quarterback early doesn’t seem completely illogical, given how poorly Manning played at times a season ago. Moreover, the 33-year-old Manning is signed for just two more seasons.

Back
Top Bottom