Official NBA OFF-SEASON Thread - 2011: Free Agency Dec. 9th

In his two seasons as head coach of the Wolves, Kurt Rambis compiled a 32-132 record.
laugh.gif

Wrap up of the U19 tourney

As the lone college hoops writer in Riga, it's my responsibility to share with you the good, the bad and the weird from the U19s, so herewith are 19 observations:

1. When I covered the NBA draft a few weeks ago, there was some surprise over the fact that the Cavs took Texas' Tristan Thompson at No. 4 -- mostly because every mock draft had Valanciunas in that spot, not because the assembled press strongly believed the 6-foot-11 Lithuanian was the better player. I've seen Thompson in person and on TV many times, and like him despite his offensive limitations, but after seeing Valanciunas' final five games here, I think the Cavs will deeply regret passing on him due to the year remaining on his Euro contract, and the Timberwolves and Jazz may as well. Raptors assistant GMs Maurizio Gherardini and Marc Eversley, whose team landed Valanciunas at No. 5, were in the building for the U19s, and his total dominance had to reassure them they made the right selection.

After posting stellar per-minute numbers in Euroleague, he averaged 23.0 points and 13.9 boards in the tournament, including 30 and 15 against the U.S., and 36 and 8 against Serbia in the final game. His player efficiency rating (29.0, on a pace-adjusted, per-28-minute formula) blew away the rest of the field. He's the opposite of a soft Euro big man -- "he never stops battling on the inside," one NBA scout said -- and he knocked down 81.1 percent of his free throws after drawing constant whistles. He also followed up his "I have not so strong body" gem-quote from the draft with one in the post-tourney press conference, when asked if he would now turn his focus toward his potential career in the NBA.

"Right now," Valanciunas said, "I focus on celebrating."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...9.thoughts.FIBA.U19s/index.html#ixzz1Rvqsq7No

Wrap up of the U19 tourney

As the lone college hoops writer in Riga, it's my responsibility to share with you the good, the bad and the weird from the U19s, so herewith are 19 observations:

1. When I covered the NBA draft a few weeks ago, there was some surprise over the fact that the Cavs took Texas' Tristan Thompson at No. 4 -- mostly because every mock draft had Valanciunas in that spot, not because the assembled press strongly believed the 6-foot-11 Lithuanian was the better player. I've seen Thompson in person and on TV many times, and like him despite his offensive limitations, but after seeing Valanciunas' final five games here, I think the Cavs will deeply regret passing on him due to the year remaining on his Euro contract, and the Timberwolves and Jazz may as well. Raptors assistant GMs Maurizio Gherardini and Marc Eversley, whose team landed Valanciunas at No. 5, were in the building for the U19s, and his total dominance had to reassure them they made the right selection.

After posting stellar per-minute numbers in Euroleague, he averaged 23.0 points and 13.9 boards in the tournament, including 30 and 15 against the U.S., and 36 and 8 against Serbia in the final game. His player efficiency rating (29.0, on a pace-adjusted, per-28-minute formula) blew away the rest of the field. He's the opposite of a soft Euro big man -- "he never stops battling on the inside," one NBA scout said -- and he knocked down 81.1 percent of his free throws after drawing constant whistles. He also followed up his "I have not so strong body" gem-quote from the draft with one in the post-tourney press conference, when asked if he would now turn his focus toward his potential career in the NBA.

"Right now," Valanciunas said, "I focus on celebrating."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...9.thoughts.FIBA.U19s/index.html#ixzz1Rvqsq7No

Kahn kept mentioning "uptempo" during his presser so of course it leads to:
@STEIN_LINE_HQ Name to watch in Wolves search: Don Nelson. ESPN.com sources say he's not only open to return to coaching but intrigued by 'Sota roster
Kill yourself Anthony Randolph.
laugh.gif

Kahn kept mentioning "uptempo" during his presser so of course it leads to:
@STEIN_LINE_HQ Name to watch in Wolves search: Don Nelson. ESPN.com sources say he's not only open to return to coaching but intrigued by 'Sota roster
Kill yourself Anthony Randolph.
laugh.gif

wow wolves fans gonna wanna kill themselves if nelly gets ahold of that team...

devin george about to get a call real quick...

wow wolves fans gonna wanna kill themselves if nelly gets ahold of that team...

devin george about to get a call real quick...

laugh.gif
@ throwing away the triangle for a completely defenseless team. I guess Kahn just wants a team that can bring some excitement during the games despite losing at a high level.

Rose is never gonna be able to carry that team by himself. No matter what he does shut in his house all summer.

laugh.gif
@ throwing away the triangle for a completely defenseless team. I guess Kahn just wants a team that can bring some excitement during the games despite losing at a high level.

Rose is never gonna be able to carry that team by himself. No matter what he does shut in his house all summer.

Back
Top Bottom