**OFFICIAL NBA MOST VALUABLE PLAYER (MVP) THREAD**

Originally Posted by BullsRepeat3Peat

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

Scoop hit the nail on the head (waits for BullsRepeat to come in and refute this)
laugh.gif

I just want to see what you guys say when Kobe does win the award this season.

Probably accuse some of the voters for unwillingly picking Kobe or some $+*!
smh.gif

If Kobe does win MVP this season.
Watch out.This this thread will explode and surpass the Official Laker Season thread and put the last Official: Lakers@ Warriors game thread to shame in less than 48 hours.

^ ya there's always gonna be haters, but some people act like it's a "me against the world mentality" with Kobe
laugh.gif

I still say he will deservingly win it this year, and if he does, then that should be it. But instead like you said, there will probably be a bunch of uselessarguments going back and forth. From what I've seen the Kobe stans will try to convince the haters to turn into stans and vice versa.

but for what? If he deservingly wins this year, what's the point of all the useless arguments? It's not as if every media analyst is ZoDogg
laugh.gif

I'm sure he prefers a championship anyways
pimp.gif

BullsRepeat3Peat wrote:

I'm sure he prefers a championship anyways
pimp.gif

as do i and other Laker fans
pimp.gif

Give the MVP to Chris Paul. He deserves it for carrying and leading his overachieving team. I just want another banner hanging in the Staples Center.

true,

but what about what Kobe has done? how many injuries have the Lakers had all season? people have been bouncing in and out of the line up, and they stillmanaged to be a high seed most of the season.

I think Kobe is just as deserving as Paul.

Take a look at the leading scorers right now, look across the whole line. Amare is absolutely beasting this year (even with a subpar 6 week start). Maybe thisyr he wont finish top 3, but next yr Id put him as a front runner for it. Hes finally playing like he did before the surgeries. Not sure I have seen thisdominant of a force down low since the guy who sits next to him on the bench was in his prime

Originally Posted by LIVE FOR KICKZ

Take a look at the leading scorers right now, look across the whole line. Amare is absolutely beasting this year (even with a subpar 6 week start). Maybe this yr he wont finish top 3, but next yr Id put him as a front runner for it. Hes finally playing like he did before the surgeries. Not sure I have seen this dominant of a force down low since the guy who sits next to him on the bench was in his prime

I agree.

Dude is straight beasting right now.
pimp.gif

[h1]Kobe Bryant, Chris Paul in a duel for MVP[/h1]
template_bas

template_bas

A survey of basketball beat writers shows that the award is a two-man race between the Lakers and New Orleans stars

By Mark Heisler / On the NBA
April 9, 2008
Lakerdom, behind the scenes...

Over the weekend, I asked 21 NBA writers from 19 cities and two websites for their first, second and third MVP picks for this season, and the result was...

Too close to call.

The Lakers' Kobe Bryant, named by all 21, had 10 first-place votes, eight seconds and three thirds.

New Orleans' Chris Paul, named by all 21, had 8-9-4.

Boston's Kevin Garnett was a distant third, named on 15 ballots with 2-3-10.

Only four players were named, the last being LeBron James of Cleveland, who made six ballots and got 1-1-4.

This is like polling for the Pennsylvania primary, interesting but almost as far out. The primary is April 22. The MVP race will go right down to the league's deadline for submitting ballots, after the NBA regular season ends April 16.

Two voters who had Bryant first and Paul second joked about changing their mind hourly. Both said they'll go with Paul if his Hornets finish No. 1 in the Western Conference.

This is only a test of general sentiment. With more and more newspapers withdrawing from the process (as The Times has), only six writers in this poll have actual votes.

(For what it's worth, three of those had Paul first and three had Bryant first.)

What this does suggest is it's a two-man race.

Garnett galvanized the Celtics, who weren't even a consensus pick to win the East. However, his candidacy is undercut by missing nine games but even more by playing alongside two stars, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen.

I'm surprised to see James run this well. As good as he is, he's not generally considered the game's best player -- that would be Bryant -- and his Cavaliers are fourth in the East, 19 1/2 games out of first.

"If it stopped the way it is, I think Chris Paul has been outstanding and his team has been the top of the charts," said two-time MVP Steve Nash.

"It's the team, your impact on your team and what you do overall. Let's face it, he has been unbelievable. His scoring, his assisting, he's a leader in steals. He shoots a good percentage. He put his team on his back in the fourth quarter. That's what it's about. He doesn't have the players around him that Kobe has."

[email protected]
Link:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-spw-heisler9apr09,1,256793.story

The Lakers' Kobe Bryant, named by all 21, had 10 first-place votes, eight seconds and three thirds.

like I said Kobe's gonna win this
pimp.gif

but it will definitely be close

give it to paul... kobe will be heated come playoff time...
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Championship's more important.

Originally Posted by BullsRepeat3Peat

like I said Kobe's gonna win this
pimp.gif

but it will definitely be close

I think a lot of those votes could change friday....

That lakers hornets game is big!

I think I am going to try go. I need to see the MVP's duel it out.

Originally Posted by NobleKane

Just make it co mvp to shut everyone up.
92.7% of Laker Nation would still complain.
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

But seriously, it's all about who's team finishes higher.

The same people knocking Lebron for being in the discussion/getting it, point to his team's record and knock it. Which is fine.

But then you have to grasp that if CP3 finishes higher than the Lakers, then you can't knock the people who vote for him/him getting it, if he does. Itjust makes sense.

Finally, perhaps even more important then who's MVP for Lakers fans, is to just win and try and get the #2 seed.

As it is, at #3, facing off against the Suns is definitely not a good look for the Lake Show.

Better off facing the Mavericks. Or Rockets, if they fall.

Originally Posted by franchise3

laugh.gif
nerd.gif

The same people knocking Lebron for being in the discussion/getting it, point to his team's record and knock it. Which is fine.

But then you have to grasp that if CP3 finishes higher than the Lakers, then you can't knock the people who vote for him/him getting it, if he does. It just makes sense.

Finally, perhaps even more important then who's MVP for Lakers fans, is to just win and try and get the #2 seed.

As it is, at #3, facing off against the Suns is definitely not a good look for the Lake Show.

Nash didn't have the best record in the west when he won. Garnett probably isn't getting it this year, why is Paul the MVP if he finishes one gameahead of the Lakers? I don't get that.

Co MVP is like kissing your sister. Tie anything always sucks.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by franchise3

laugh.gif
nerd.gif

But then you have to grasp that if CP3 finishes higher than the Lakers, then you can't knock the people who vote for him/him getting it, if he does. It just makes sense.

Nash didn't have the best record in the west when he won. Garnett probably isn't getting it this year, why is Paul the MVP if he finishes one game ahead of the Lakers? I don't get that.

Co MVP is like kissing your sister. Tie anything always sucks.
laugh.gif

The reason i believe it's different is because Paul was JUST like Nash where NO ONE expected them to be THAT high, and # freaking 1, at that. If itwere a team like the Spurs at that # 1 seed and the Lakers at # 2 or 3, i'm sure Kobe would get it no problem. Paul should get MVP if he's # 1 becausehis team is # 1 in the West without a GREAT cast AND hes' about to lead the league in TWO categories i believe, assists and steals, correct me if i'mwrong on that. THAT'S why i feel he will get it if they stay # 1.

Because they're both deserving, and both can make solid cases.

It's THAT close.

It's not like if CP3 gets it, Kobe is getting robbed, or Kobe gets it, CP3 is getting robbed.

Gotta use something as a tie breaker, and team success plays a part in determining the MVP.

If the Hornets finish one game higher, IMO, give it to CP3.

Nevermind the whole, 'injuries Lakers had to deal with logic.'

That's living in a woulda coulda shoulda type world.

Like someone said, Nash won it w/o being the top seed, so I still don't get why if the Hornets finish .5 games ahead of the Lakers, that is the done-dadaof CP3 getting it over Kobe. In a conference race where seeds 1-6 are separated by 2.5 games, if you are in the top 3, the order really shouldn't matter.

Why are so many people worried about it?

I could care less if paul wins it. You can't say he shouldn't in it. You just can't.

Just like you can't say kobe shouldn't win it.

Either way I am happy. Hell KG could win it and I will be happy.

I am worried about this laker team getting to the finals so kobe can get a finals MVP.

That's what matters to me.

Like someone said, Nash won it w/o being the top seed, so I still don't get why if the Hornets finish .5 games ahead of the Lakers, that is the done-dada of CP3 getting it over Kobe. In a conference race where seeds 1-6 are separated by 2.5 games, if you are in the top 3, the order really shouldn't matter.
If the hornets finish a half game ahead of the lakers I think the NBA has bigger problems to worry about

Originally Posted by LIVE FOR KICKZ

Like someone said, Nash won it w/o being the top seed, so I still don't get why if the Hornets finish .5 games ahead of the Lakers, that is the done-dada of CP3 getting it over Kobe. In a conference race where seeds 1-6 are separated by 2.5 games, if you are in the top 3, the order really shouldn't matter.
If the hornets finish a half game ahead of the lakers I think the NBA has bigger problems to worry about

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I'm sure he meant 1 game.
laugh.gif

man dont be coming here saying kobes team was injured. injuries are a part of the game. you cant give someone the mvp trophy just for that reason. nobody expected new orleans to be a contender let alone be in the playoffs. what they have done is crazy and paul deserves it. if they finish with a better record you have to give it to the guy.
my thoughts exactly. To be honest I really didnt think N.O. had a chance to make the playoffs before the season started. CP3 is nasty, he reallydeserves the MVP trophy.

Originally Posted by solesavage

man dont be coming here saying kobes team was injured. injuries are a part of the game. you cant give someone the mvp trophy just for that reason. nobody expected new orleans to be a contender let alone be in the playoffs. what they have done is crazy and paul deserves it. if they finish with a better record you have to give it to the guy.
my thoughts exactly. To be honest I really didnt think N.O. had a chance to make the playoffs before the season started. CP3 is nasty, he really deserves the MVP trophy.

and why did you think they didn't have a chance? they only finished 3 games out last year with peja gone for most of the year and david west missinghalf of the season. injuries are a part of the game, but kobe hasn't let his team falter b/c of it like the hornets did last year.

Back
Top Bottom