Official NBA ELITE 11 Thread Vol. Authentic Presentation :

Easily the most impressive clip I have seen thus far. Even though there hasn't been much info put out from either brand. We need more non-steal turnovers in basketball games. Nice to see this was included.

concords
pimp.gif

nice going EA.
All I wanted was Jam, not some lame #*! sim game. Now I know who EA suckers into buying their +@+* games. and dudes
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
about getting a stripped down version of Jam too? Well done, EA

[h1]
[h1]NBA Elite 11: Become Legendary Preview[/h1][h2]Build your meek rookie into an NBA icon in EA Sports' new career mode. First video included.[/h2][h2]August 10, 2010

NBA Elite 11 seems to be turning into one giant risk for EA Sports. Of course, when your basketball series is struggling to gain mass market appeal the way NBA Live was, you pretty much have to throw the kitchen sink at the problem. And so EA is doing exactly that with an entirely new name, a new control scheme that uses the right stick for functions once commanded by buttons, and a fresh career mode that's putting a different spin on the feature that so many games have tried.

I've already
talked about the standard gameplay at length, both at E3 and after. Now it's time to dive into the new Become Legendary Mode, which is NBA Elite 11's take on the classic career. I recently spent some time up at EA's studio in Vancouver and got a first-hand demo of the new mode.

As you'd expect, you begin by creating your player. Height and weight play a role in your original rating and how you'll progress over time with some attributes being more affected than others. Once you're done outfitting your player with new shoes (the list of available shoes will grow as you earn popularity and sponsorship deals), arm bands and hairstyles, it's time to play your first game and enter the draft. No matter how you perform in your intro contest, you'll get drafted in the first round. Your first time on the court is more of a tutorial than anything.

As you progress, you need to keep four pillars of Become Legendary in mind with every action that you make. First and foremost is your grade for each game. It's out of ten and it's based on your offensive, defensive and team play production in each contest. Elite's AI gives you constant feedback for your actions so you have an idea where you stand.

The biggest, and in my eyes, the most exciting deviation from standard career mode fare is DNA Stats Levels. These are earned by developing your tendencies in-game. If you dish out ten assists, your passing DNA Stat Level will rise. This aims to open up gameplay significantly so that you can make your center into an assist-man if you sculpt him properly instead of having to complete pre-determined goals.

The final two pillars that you need to worry through the 23 levels of Become Legendary are the number of games you've played and the amount of award points that you accrue through your career. You gain award points by winning championships, earning accolades like first-team All-NBA, Defensive Player of the Year, scoring or rebounding title and pretty much any other achievement you can think of. Of course, there are also single-game accomplishments such as getting a comeback win, or earning a triple-double. Finally, there are Jordan Brand milestones that have you follow in the footsteps of Michael Jordan himself and equal some of his greatest performances for even more experience points.

It's a real bummer that EA Sports integrated Jordan (his brand, not the man himself) so heavily into Become Legendary. You enter into the Jordan Draft Showcase to earn your draft position, there are 23 levels to attain throughout your career (Jordan's number was 23) and there are the aforementioned Jordan Milestones. It seems like NBA Elite 11 is dangling the carrot of playing as (or, at the very least, against) Michael Jordan in front of your face throughout Become Legendary, yet you have to buy the competing product (NBA 2K11) to actually play as him for yourself.

In an effort to stop players from quitting out and restarting games when their created player doesn't perform all that well, EA Sports has developed something called setbacks and bounce backs. Setbacks happen whenever you turn in a crappy performance in any of the three (offense, defense, team play) main categories. When that happens, your next game will feature a bounce back objective which you'll get a nice XP bonus for completing.

EA Sports has built Become Legendary to escalate in difficulty as your player levels up, but I'm a bit worried that gamers will be discouraged and not finish it. See, each game has matchup objectives where you need to out-play someone on the opposing team. If you're a level 10 player and you get beat by a player that's worse than you, you take an XP hit. If you're a level 16 player, you need to out-play the other team's best player and win the game in order to see an XP bonus.

When you start Become Legendary, all you're expected to do is win the game. I'm all for ramping up the challenge, I just hope that I won't be an underpowered level 16 player who has to beat Lebron or Kobe night in and night out. I guess now it's up to EA Sports to properly balance the mode so my fear is never realized.

Become Legendary has some very cool ideas behind it, namely the DNA Stat Levels which should provide for a very organic system of progression. Obviously, Become Legendary's success is hinged largely on the mode's ability to provide fun gameplay, which, in my time with the controller in my hand, is still up in the air. Still, there's no denying that the mode has promise. Now if only they could end it with some sort of Michael Jordan boss battle, then I'd be truly happy.

For more on NBA Elite 11 on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, stay tuned to IGN as its October 5 release date approaches.
[/h2]

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/111/1111562p1.html
[/h1]

Post Play Blog
Aug 12, 2010
I’m going to talk about post play and what it entails this year. I’ll start off by informing you all that Brady Chen (our Software Engineer who owned post play) myself and the rest of the development team heard all of your requests and suggestions for post play. Your feedback drove a good portion of the design this year. However we also had some firm design goals which had to be incorporated in to the post play design.

We’ve been talking about Hands-On Control™ for months now and we’ll continue to do so because we truly believe that this innovation is a game changer. Countless reviewers, community members, NBA players, entertainers and play testers have been hands-on with NBA ELITE for the last 4 months – they all absolutely love the feel and control. Making it feel great has been top priority. I repeat, making it feel great has been top priority. No more canned sequences (which get repetitive and have limited outcomes). No long, drawn out multi-player scenarios in which players slide into (or out of) position in order for a great looking sequence or moment to happen. We don’t want to create the awesome looking sequences for you through any sort of player manipulation. We want you guys to create the sequences with the tools we give you and the new physics technology which we have incorporated into NBA ELITE. All in all, the control is great and it looks and feels fantastic.

With that in mind, here are some of the details about post play which have people impressed and excited about it:

Intuitive Controls – Basketball is a complex sport but a basketball video game does not need to be. From day 1, we’ve been communicating that the left side of the controller controls your feet, the right side your hands and the face buttons your CPU teammates. We’ve heard beginners say time and time again, “NBA ELITE is so easy to pick up and playâ€

Wow, they finally fixed that plastic looking effect on the players. They need to quit teasing us and just release a full gallery.

Originally Posted by NobleKane

im buying elite for nba jam. if elite sucks best believe im trading that sucker in
You ain't just whistlin dixie...

If Elite improves on Live 10 I'll be very happy with it. I honestly had more fun playing Live than I did 2k.

Originally Posted by jamergrady

2k>>>> NBA Elite
The !+*# look soo #+%$%%% fake.�
laugh.gif
�look at ray ray slide his feet and glitch to keep up with kobe. %+*! outta here

[table][tr][/tr][/table]
Look at Ray Allen slide literally from the free throw line to the hoop. What happened to footplanting? Did it get overshadowed by "Real Time Physics"?

Kind of...yeah.

Still working on that, but like I said in another post, the physics is currently fighting with foot planting.

Still working to get the animation side to catch up with the physics fast enough so foot planting can do its job. It's working great in some cases, still looks pretty bad in other cases.

I'm confident we'll improve it by the time we release the game.

Just so you know, by prioritizing the physics over the animation, you always get a consistent feel to the game, and the defender feels like a real physical presence when playing. You really have to work hard to break him down.

Unfortunately you can't really feel that from a video. But you can see the sliding.

We're working on the sliding...but we're absolutely thrilled with the way the game plays right now.

I think we chose the right priority, and now we're just cleaning up the loose ends.

FYI, The Elite demo will feature the Become Legendary Mode.

Back
Top Bottom