Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
laugh.gif

If Seattle does get team next year it would only make sense to hire Nate McMillan to coach.
— Shaun Powell (@Powell2daPeople) January 9, 2013
tumblr_m6ha2uyfh71rwcc6bo1_400.gif

:rofl: feel bad for the Kings fans for first time. Without basketball, i don't know what else they would do up there.

:rofl:

Also the Maloofs have been trying to move the Kings for a while, Sonics moved because they just happened to get sold to a guy from OKC.  Had nothing to do with a lack of support/financial viability in Seattle, which is why it was such a ridiculous situation. 

Definitely have sympathy for Kings fans though.

roll.gif
feel bad for the Kings fans for first time. Without basketball, i don't know what else they would do up there.

roll.gif
Ay29K.jpg

real talk, I shed a single tear this morning when I read Woj's tweet
Ok, it was multiple tears
this is true.... 

I always joked with my friends that if the Kings ever relocated, so would I..... Long Beach here I come! (in the next 12 months or so 
laugh.gif
)

Last edited by a moderator:
:rofl: feel bad for the Kings fans for first time. Without basketball, i don't know what else they would do up there.

:rofl:
Ay29K.jpg

this is true.... 

I always joked with my friends that if the Kings ever relocated, so would I..... Long Beach here I come! (in the next 12 months or so :lol: )

with open arms bruh :pimp:

roll.gif
feel bad for the Kings fans for first time. Without basketball, i don't know what else they would do up there.

roll.gif
Ay29K.jpg

this is true.... 

I always joked with my friends that if the Kings ever relocated, so would I..... Long Beach here I come! (in the next 12 months or so 
laugh.gif
)
with open arms bruh
pimp.gif
I basically lived there last year. Mineaswell just be a full Lakers fan.

[h1] [/h1]
[h1]Kings to Seattle? NBA musical franchises takes another cruel twist[/h1]
By Ken Berger  | NBA Insider
January 9, 2013 4:05 pm ET
RENO, Nev. -- As the Maloof family reportedly closed in Wednesday on a deal to sell the Sacramento Kings to a Seattle group that wants to move the team to Key Arena as early as next season, the NBA's shameful game of musical franchises took perhaps its cruelest twist yet.

Cruel, because stakeholders in the two cities involved and NBA executives of the highest order still were unable to say -- hours after the report surfaced on Yahoo Sports  -- that a deal was in place or even close. Cruel, because Sacramento and some of the best fans in the NBA deserved better than this.

Better than having their team shipped to Seattle, even if it somehow would represent some cosmic justice for a city that lost the SuperSonics to Oklahoma City in much the same way. Better than being used as a collective negotiating pawn for the bumbling Maloofs to get the best deal for themselves.

The Yahoo report pointed out that no deal has been signed, and given the Maloofs' chronic waffling, no deal is done until it's signed. So as the city of Sacramento -- and fans who've inexplicably remained loyal to a team that's been run straight into the scorched Earth -- once again began the early stages of mourning, the unspoken backlash of a deal not yet finalized was this: It ain't over til it's over. Don't give up.

With all due respect and a keen understanding of what an NBA team means to a one-sport city, here's some tough-love advice for Sacramento: Give up. Bid the Kings and the Maloofs and the NBA good riddance. Empower your city officials to lawyer up and sue anyone who's breathing. But do not invest another dime of your money or ounce of your passion in a team that is, at the end of the day, little more than a dilapidated storefront for owners who could not get out of their own way -- who could not sell lemonade if spotted 100 acres of lemon trees and an endless supply of 100-degree days.

Sacramento, led by Mayor Kevin Johnson, stepped up with an arena deal that was more than fair, under which it would've been more than feasible for a competent owner to run a successful basketball franchise. The Maloofs embraced the deal, shed their tears, raised their arms in celebration with the mayor, and then decided it wasn't the best they could do. Local ownership groups stepped forward with credible offers to buy the team and keep it in Sacramento, and the Maloofs steadfastly refused to sell -- and even, unconscionably, proclaimed that they weren't selling or moving because they were "all about Sacramento."

Alas, an NBA team located in Sacramento is not worth nearly what an NBA team is worth in Seattle. Thus, the $500 million that Yahoo reported is the price the Seattle group of Chris Hansen and Steve Ballmer is discussing represents the price of an NBA team located in Seattle. It's what they call a "win-win" in sports, as in the owners win and the owners win.

The Maloofs, evidently, don't share the league's confidence that the new collective bargaining agreement and revenue-sharing plan will level the playing field for small markets. So in the end, the Maloofs served their purpose: losing ungodly sums of money on purpose for years to help bolster the league's case that a massive financial reset in their agreement with the players was needed, only to prove the other side's point by cashing in on all that equity when the dust settled.

If and when this deal to send the Kings to Seattle is finalized, the people of Sacramento should consider the Kings extinct as of today. Enough money and loyalty and sweat and emotion have been invested, spent and lost. No more.

It should surprise no one that this is where we are. Absent an arena deal they backed out of, the Maloofs basically had a two-year commitment from dwindling sponsors and partners to stay in Sacramento, and that commitment expires after this season. According to league sources familiar with the dynamics of the situation, the Maloofs knew that they could not keep the team in Sacramento and still own it beyond this season. The charade was over.

So the options were simple:

1) Move the team. But there were no viable options, given the family's suffering financial position and the debilitating expense of a relocation fee. One league source told CBSSports.com Wednesday that NBA officials viewed the Maloofs' flirtation with Virginia Beach as a "laughable" alternative.

2) Sell the team to investors committed to keeping it in Sacramento. The Maloofs were "all about Sacramento," after all), or ...

3) Sell it to someone who would move it somewhere else.

In the end, you simply have to follow the money. The Hansen-Ballmer group is proposing to pay a premium for an NBA team that will do business in Seattle. The $500 million figure represents a substantial premium to whatever the team was worth it stayed in Sacramento, no matter who owned it or where it played. So it goes.

"If money mattered to them," a league source said of the Maloofs, "the team was always going to go to Seattle. And money mattered to them."

As for Sacramento, money should matter to you now. So should your civic pride, and all you have invested emotionally in a team that should have given you a better outcome.

You should read the articles and listen to the commentators and feel awful for a while. You should feel cheated. You should be angry. But you should not invest another dime of your money or ounce of your passion in a team that, in the end, only represents two words on a term sheet.

You deserve better. But the Maloofs, the Kings and the NBA do not deserve you anymore. Move on with your heads high, and don't look back at the empty seats.

Today's news bought the Seattle trolls back en mass to the OKC message boards. They keep telling us how they drafted Durant, Ibaka, and Westbrook :lol:

Today's news bought the Seattle trolls back en mass to the OKC message boards. They keep telling us how they drafted Durant, Ibaka, and Westbrook
laugh.gif
They probably think they get the Thunder/Sonic back and yall get stuck with the Kings 
laugh.gif

Just came in to say, Grizzlies is getting a great hard working player back in Jared Dudley.  Michael Beasley will ruin your team, but Dudley plays every night and gives all he has.  Been a big Dudley fan ever since he came to Phoenix, and all my friends used to make fun of me on because he's my favorite Sun.  He's slow, not atheltic, and kinda of dorky, but he is a true professional and plays with a lot of emotion.  Dudley is all about team.  He's a player I'll miss and I wish him nothing but the best in Memphis.

Why I'm getting sentimental about this right now, because I know the deal will go through by tomorrow.  I will be watching my last Jared Dudley game as a Phoenix Suns tonight.  Hope he smacks KG.

wait what dudley for rudy...srs...did i miss something :nerd:

same talks as the last few days, doubt it happens but no one has say anything. A lot of people expect it NOT to go down and expect Rudy to get traded else where.

If Hanson agrees to $500 million, he is officially a bird. :x

Think of it like free agency. Was Roy Hibbert worth a max deal? No. But his market value was at max levels. The going rate for NBA teams has skyrocketed. There's a line of billionaires waiting to get in on the league. What a team is actually worth and what they can get on the market are two different things.

And, with Steve Ballmer on board, nobody can outbid Hansen's group.

The Kings moving to Seattle isn't bad on the fans.. The Kings barely have fans in the first place

Seattle > Sacramento
let me borrow 80 minutes of your time and watch this **** ****

I seen this when you posted it in this thread a few weeks ago

It still doesn't change the fact that the kings "fans" didn't care about the team after they got whack.. Then when they heard that the kings were probably gonna relocate, that's when they started to care again

Relocation is good

Nets used to play in jersey.. Took me over an hour to get to their games, now it takes me 30 - 45 mins to their games

I seen this when you posted it in this thread a few weeks ago

It still doesn't change the fact that the kings "fans" didn't care about the team after they got whack.. Then when they heard that the kings were probably gonna relocate, that's when they started to care again

Relocation is good

Nets used to play in jersey.. Took me over an hour to get to their games, now it takes me 30 - 45 mins to their games
Good looks mayne, glad you watched it; definitely a good watch.

Just bums me out it'll take me 11 hours and 49 minutes, 775 miles, to get to a Sonics/Kings game 
frown.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom