Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allen always makes a good point about Lebron and eating right, working out, ice, massage, etc that players do now to take care of their bodies. My only "concern" of Lebron going forward as he ages is the mileage.
He's got 27,500 right now + 5,000 playoff minutes. 32,500 total. Two more years at around 4K per (reg season + playoff) = 40,000+ minutes at 30.
Ray Allen is at 47,000 at 36 for comparison of someone who has stayed healthy, played a lot of games, etc etc.
Bron could get past 50,000 minutes at 33, EASY.
Surely he takes care of himself, does what he needs to be right, no bad injuries in his career, all that, but that mileage is thru the damn roof, and has to be at least a little worrisome.
I'm not sayin he's breakin down anytime soon, but will he play his "glory" years like KG, Allen, Nash, Kidd etc at a high level while approaching 60,000+ minutes? :\
60K just looks funny. That is absurd. :lol:

Kobe's at 51,018...

Around 3500 each of the next 2 years.. Puts him at 58,000

Same point in their career Lebron is about a Season and a half of play time in minutes played ahead of Kobe.

Last edited:
This thing has legs...

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/lakers-374987-buss-free.html

EL SEGUNDO – I sat down with Lakers executive vice president Jim Buss on Wednesday for nearly an hour, and one of the clear revelations was just how excited Buss is about the Lakers contending for the NBA championship in 2014, not just this season and next.

"We purposely ended all contracts that year," Buss said. "I can't talk about Kobe (Bryant), but this is what he signed till. So basically we put everything to that, and we want to make a big splash in the free-agent market if we get to that spot. So we designed the contracts and the players and our future all around that."

That makes for a completely viable scenario wherein Bryant retires in 2014 – and LeBron James signs a free-agent contract to replace him on the Lakers' marquee.

One day after I spoke with Buss (longer profile piece coming in the Sunday paper), Miami-based writer and longtime LeBron tracker Brian Windhorst coincidentally was also looking ahead and reporting: "Several teams' executives have told ESPN.com they believe the Lakers are positioning themselves to make a run at LeBron James in 2014, when the Miami Heat star can choose to become a free agent."

No doubt.

Buss specifically did not mention anyone by name and wouldn't be allowed to because of NBA tampering rules. Yet if Bryant steps aside, the Lakers envision having a re-signed Dwight Howard with Steve Nash in the final year of his new contract and some new, incredibly potent blood.

"Yeah, depending on the free agents that year," Buss said. "We would basically, money-wise, be able to sign the top free agent – maybe even two. I don't know the numbers exactly, because we're not privy to what the cap is and how much room we have, but it's going to be close to two of the top free agents that year."

It's not just all eggs in James' basket, as other stars such as James' Miami teammates Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh and New York's Carmelo Anthony could be free agents in 2014. Other big-name players who could be unsigned then (besides Bryant and Pau Gasol) are Dirk Nowitzki, Amar'e Stoudemire, Paul Pierce, Tim Duncan, John Wall, Danny Granger, Luol Deng, Rudy Gay, Andre Iguodala, Monta Ellis and Andrea Bargnani.

The Lakers' scenario could be put on a hold a year also if James doesn't opt out of his Heat contract in 2014. He, Wade and Bosh all have opportunities to opt out in 2015 again before their contracts expire in 2016. Some potential 2015 free agents are Kevin Love, Rajon Rondo, Marc Gasol, LaMarcus Aldridge, Kyrie Irving, Tony Parker and Anthony.

If Bryant, then 36, is amenable to returning in 2014, the Lakers' changes could be put on hold a year for that reason, too. Or Bryant could return at a heavily discounted rate that might allow the Lakers still to sign James or another new star to team with Bryant, Howard and Nash.

The possibilities are enough to make a Lakers fan dizzy – even before possible champagne bottles are opened with Bryant, Gasol, Howard and Nash these upcoming two seasons.

Buss said it had been "a little scary" to contemplate beyond two seasons ... until the acquisition of Howard.

"Because if we don't win championships (in 2013 and '14), we basically failed," Buss said. "But with Dwight hopefully wanting to stay with the Lakers, we feel our horizon is bright."

Buss had his eye on James as far back in 2005, when the Lakers were structuring the payroll for the possibility that James, Yao Ming and Stoudemire would not re-sign with their teams before 2007 free agency. Those scenarios didn't come to pass, but the Lakers are the masters when it comes to figuring out ways to cycle and recycle toward titles.

The post-Kobe incarnation of the Lakers might be the slickest turn of them all.

The new collective bargaining agreement is largely meant to shut off the Lakers' flowing spigot. Off-the-charts luxury-tax penalties kick in come 2014 for clubs who've been taxpayers for three of the previous four years. The Lakers basically have no choice but to duck under the tax threshold in '14 and '15, theoretically meaning they shouldn't continue to contend with suddenly light payrolls.

But Buss and Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak are still ready and able to be the best. They should have a then-28-year-old Howard anchoring a suddenly low-payroll yet again high-expectation team in 2014.

"With Dwight Howard now, the future's so bright," Buss said. "If he re-signs with us, the future is so bright that now we can start looking into the three, four or five years from now and say, 'OK, we're again going toward championships.' "

Had the Lakers not traded Andrew Bynum for Howard, Buss said the same approach would've been in place by re-signing Bynum: "The plan was Andrew would carry us." Buss acknowledged, though, that the sun rising again in '14 isn't as cloudy with Bynum's clunky knee brace out of the picture.

Asked whether Howard's acquisition – pending him re-signing this summer – could be described as a "relief" for the future, Buss paused. He views it more as the Lakers doing what they do, preparing their chess moves well before their turns come up.

"It was a game plan, and to me, it came to fruition," Buss said. "So 'relief' might be a word, but more 'excitement.' I'm excited about the future – not only these two years, but moving forward. Very excited."

"I'm here," said James. "I'm preparing for the season. I'm preparing to defend our title. I understand it comes up because of who I am."

"They need to leave my teammate alone and go mess with somebody else," said Dwyane Wade. "He's going to be here. We're straight."

:nthat:

Jimmy Buss all but confirmed the Lake Show is targeting Lebron in '14

edit -got dammit presequel :lol:

Last edited:
Barring something catastrophic, I'm confident LeBron will still be one of the best players in the league in his early 30s.

"I'm here," said James. "I'm preparing for the season. I'm preparing to defend our title. I understand it comes up because of who I am."

"They need to leave my teammate alone and go mess with somebody else," said Dwyane Wade. "He's going to be here. We're straight."

"They need to leave my teammate alone and go mess with somebody else"? The guy who did the Decision? He kinda opened up the door for stuff like this himself... complete BS or not... I'm not gonna hate on their whole free agent media frenzy thing from 2010, but if they're gonna use the media like that, they should learn to take what comes with it

Last edited:
Clipper guy already shakin in his boots. :lol:

JD, I wasn't sayin he would decline early, just sayin that his minutes/games numbers are going to be staggering as he hits 32-33 etc. Something that should be at least monitored.

I've said for years (and others too I am sure) MJ got his last 3 because of the 18 months off. If he plays those 2 years, he's not winning in 97 or 98. That squad would have died. Especially Pip who was on fumes in 98.

Dr Buss won't be the only one targeting James :rofl:

yea most likely Bron won't be a Laker and they will end up re-signing Kobe and someone like Wall, Irving, Gay, Love, Aldridge to go with Dwight. people talk like the Lakers are lucky but they just have the best management in the NBA

I've said for years (and others too I am sure) MJ got his last 3 because of the 18 months off. If he plays those 2 years, he's not winning in 97 or 98. That squad would have died. Especially Pip who was on fumes in 98.

I'm not really sure if it's more or less difficult to be in shape, get out of shape, then get back in shape than it is to just keep playing without a break. Kobe never takes a day off and he still looks fresh. could go either way

Last edited:
Clipper guy already shakin in his boots. :lol:

JD, I wasn't sayin he would decline early, just sayin that his minutes/games numbers are going to be staggering as he hits 32-33 etc. Something that should be at least monitored.

That's essentially my concern as well. So many minutes, so much tread worn off. But if anyone can still play at the same level at that point it has to be him.

Jimmy Buss all but confirmed the Lake Show is targeting Lebron in '14
edit -got dammit presequel :lol:

Dr Buss won't be the only one targeting James :rofl:

The plan just sounds really general. It doesn't sound like Lebron or bust, although I'm sure Lebron would be target #1 when that summer rolls around.

It just boils down to Kobe's contract (which is half the cap) is over, so there was no reason to sign any other big contracts past it. They didn't extend Gasol and sign Artest, Blake, etc. to carry the team after Kobe, just along with him.

"They need to leave my teammate alone and go mess with somebody else"? The guy who did the Decision? He kinda opened up the door for stuff like this himself... complete BS or not... I'm not gonna hate on their whole free agent media frenzy thing from 2010, but if they're gonna use the media like that, they should learn to take what comes with it

They did the same thing with New York a good 2 years before The Decision.

Like Bron said...it's going to happen regardless because of who he is.

They did the same thing with New York a good 2 years before The Decision.
Like Bron said...it's going to happen regardless because of who he is.

True... but once he did the show he kinda gave up his rights to be butthurt about it

writers these days are already setting up, anticipating the next Decision, even if it's to stay in Miami. :smh: but we will be seeing this for two years now

Its absurd sure...but then you remember he is LeBron James. He is unlike any other athlete ever. He is a cyborg, so if anyone could do it, it will be him.
lebron is like magic johnson on steroids
Take it from me.... if he juiced Lebron would be on another level, like Dwight Howard sized . Dude right now looks as natty as can be.right now. 

^Meh, just delaying the inevitable for Irving

So basically, NT & ESPN have the Lakers 2015/16 roster looking like this:

Howard
Durant
Westbrook
Lebron
Kevin Love

Kyrie Irving

Correct?

Last edited:
^Meh, just delaying the inevitable for Irving

So basically, NT & ESPN have the Lakers 2015/16 roster looking like this:

Howard
Durant
Westbrook
Lebron
Kevin Love

Kyrie Irving

Correct?
Add OJ as the 7-9th man, Bynum will probably be back to come off the bench too. Phil Jackson, Fisher and Odom too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom