Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually got curious and looked that up, heres an article.
[h2]All Ball Fave Five: Most Traded Players In NBA History[/h2]
September 18, 2012  ·  7:59PM

by Micah Hart

You may have noticed it’s the offseason, which means we have plenty of time to sit around and think about many of the things that make it fun to be an NBA fan. Here at All Ball, we’ll be passing the time until the start of the season with a new series, the Fave Five. Each week we’ll count down a list of the five best, or worst … somethings. We’ll try to get creative with it. Plus we’re taking requests! If you have a suggestion for a Fave Five post, give us a shout and you may see it appear in this space over the next several weeks.

Earlier this offseason, you may recall a certain four-team trade that sent Dwight Howard to the Lakers, Andrew Bynum to the Sixers and Andre Iguodala to the Nuggets. Those guys were certainly the A-listers in the deal, but several others (12 in total) changed teams, including Al Harrington, who moved from Denver to Orlando.

For Harrington, this was nothing new. Big Al has had to pack his bags at a moment’s notice several times along his NBA journey so far; the trade to Orlando constituted the fifth time in his 14-year career he’s been dealt.

Five trades for one guy. That seems like a lot. But is it?

Not really. The NBA trades players at almost a fantasy-league level. Contenders trade to add that last piece for a championship run. Also-rans trade to bottom out and start from scratch. The Timberwolves trade because it’s Tuesday, and hey, why not. It’s the trading-est league in professional sports, and I don’t think it’s particularly close either.

In league history, there have been seven players to be traded seven or more times. In this week’s Fave Five Seven, we take a look at them.

Jim Jackson

To me, Jim Jackson is the absolute epitome of the kind of player who gets traded a lot in the NBA. He was clearly a talented guy (drafted No. 4 overall in the 1992 Draft), and his scoring skills made him a coveted asset throughout his career. But often times Jackson failed to provide much else for a team, and soon he’d be dangled again as bait for the next team looking to shore up its offense.

Career trades: Seven. Dallas to New Jersey, New Jersey to Philadelphia, Portland to Atlanta, Atlanta to Cleveland, Houston to New Orleans, New Orleans to Phoenix

Most famous deals: Jackson came into the league with the Mavericks, and for a time there was real optimism about the team’s future with the “Three Js” — Jason (Kidd), Jamal (Mashburn), and Jackson. But in-fighting famously led Dallas to blow up the team, and after shipping Kidd to Phoenix and Mashburn to Miami, the Mavs traded Jackson to New Jersey in a gigantic, nine-player deal at the 1997 trade deadline that netted Shawn Bradley. Four months later, at the ’97 Draft, the Nets then turned around and dealt Jackson to the Sixers in an eight-player deal that netted (no pun intended) No. 2 pick Keith Van Horn.

Sam Cassell

I like to think teams traded for Sam just because they enjoyed his dancing talents. Almost all of Cassell’s career changes of uniform involved trades; the only time he ever changed teams as a free agent was when he signed with the Celtics at the tail end of his career after being waived by the Clippers. Naturally, Boston would trade him a year later to Sacramento.

Career trades: Seven. Houston to Phoenix, Phoenix to Dallas, Dallas to New Jersey, New Jersey to Milwaukee, Milwaukee to Minnesota, Minnesota to L.A. Clippers, Boston to Sacramento

Most famous deals: Early in his career, Cassell was involved in some pretty big trades involving some pretty big names. Drafted by the Rockets in 1993, Sam was traded three years later, in August of 1996, to Phoenix as part of the package that brought Charles Barkley to Houston for one last (failed) run at a championship. In December of the same year, Cassell was then rerouted to Dallas with Michael Finley in the previously mentioned Jason Kidd trade. To cap off his busy stretch, less than two months later Cassell went with Jackson to New Jersey in the also-previously mentioned Mavs-Nets trade (there is a LOT of overlap amongst the most-traded players).

trans.gif

Otis Thorpe

When I think of hard-working, no nonsense NBA players, for some reason Thorpe is one of the first guys that comes to mind.

Career trades: Seven. Sacramento to Houston, Houston to Portland, Portland to Detroit, Detroit to Vancouver, Vancouver to Sacramento, Sacramento to Washington, Miami to Charlotte.

Most famous deals: Man, I thought Cassell was in some important deals, but check out the franchise-altering trades Thorpe was a part of. In 1995, Thorpe went to Portland in the trade that brought Clyde Drexler to Houston, a deal that helped the Rockets win their second straight title. In 1997, the Pistons sent Thorpe to the Grizzlies in a seemingly minor deal for a first-round pick. That pick would turn out to be one of the most famous picks in history however, as thanks to the Grizzlies ineptitude it turned out to be the No. 2 pick in 2003, which Detroit used to select Dwyane Wade Carmelo Anthony Chris Bosh Zarko Cabarkapa Darko Milicic. Finally, in 1998, Thorpe went from the Kings to the Wizards along with Mitch Richmond for Chris Webber, a deal that set the formerly floundering franchise on a course to Western Conference stardom if not quite championship level.

Joe Smith

The only No. 1 pick on the list. In that context, I suppose you’d have to find his career a disappointment, but the guy did play 16 years in the league. Pretty hard to do that if you don’t bring something to the table.

Career trades: Seven. Golden State to Philadelphia, Minnesota to Milwaukee, Milwaukee to Denver, Denver to Philadelphia, Chicago to Cleveland, Cleveland to Oklahoma City, New Jersey to L.A. Lakers

Most famous deals: For such a high-profile guy, Smith was never really part of any trades I’d consider blockbusters. He was part of two deals that helped build LeBron James‘ supporting cast in Cleveland, going to the Cavs at the 2008 deadline in a three-team deal that brought in Wally Szczerbiak, Delonte West, and Ben Wallace, and then departed later that summer in another three-team swap that sent him to OKC and brought Mo Williams to Cleveland. Additionally, Smith was traded for Jim Jackson (Warriors-Sixers in 1998), and for Sam Cassell (Milwaukee-Minnesota, 2003).

Don MacLean

The two top names on this list are people that often come to mind when thinking of players who got moved around a lot, but I would never have thought MacLean would have even had the opportunity to be traded as many times as he was.

Career trades: Eight. Detroit to L.A. Clippers, Clippers to Washington, Washington to Denver, Philadelphia to New Jersey, New Jersey to Seattle, Seattle to Orlando, Orlando to Houston, Miami to Toronto

Most famous deals: Most of MacLean’s deals were of the minor variety, but he was involved in the three-team, 10-player trade in August of 1999 that sent Steve Francis from Vancouver to Houston. The former Most Improved Player Award winner was also part of the Van Horn deal that sent Jim Jackson to Philly, and, in the fading twilight of his career, was part of a trade in October of 2001 involving the next member on our list.

Billy Owens

Oh Billy, Billy Billy. How you tantalized with your talents, ever since you were co-MVP of the McDonald’s All-Star game with Alonzo Mourning in 1988. And yet despite a very promising college career and being drafted No. 3 overall in 1991, Owens never quite found that level of success in the NBA, even after a First-Team All-Rookie showing in 1991-92.

Career trades: EightSacramento to Golden State, Golden State to Miami, Miami to Sacramento, Seattle to Orlando, Orlando to Philadelphia, Philadelphia to Golden State, Golden State to Milwaukee, Milwaukee to Detroit.

Most famous deals: Owens was drafted No. 3 overall by the Kings in 1991, but a protracted holdout led the team to the deal him to Golden State for Mitch Richmond, thereby ending the run of Run TMC. Yoko. Was dealt with MacLean from Seattle to Orlando in 1999, kicking off a ridiculous 14-month span that saw Owens traded five times. Dig this slate, from his Basketball Reference page:
June 30, 1999: Traded by the Seattle SuperSonics with Dale Ellis, Don MacLean and Corey Maggette to the Orlando Magic for Horace Grant, a 2000 2nd round draft pick and a 2001 2nd round draft pick.

Aug. 13, 1999: Traded by the Orlando Magic to the Philadelphia 76ers for Harvey Grant and Anthony Parker.

Feb. 16, 2000: As part of a 3-team trade, traded by the Philadelphia 76ers with Larry Hughes to the Golden State Warriors; the Chicago Bulls traded Toni Kukoc to the Philadelphia 76ers; the Golden State Warriors traded John Starks and a 2000 1st round draft pick (Chris Mihm) to the Chicago Bulls; and the Philadelphia 76ers traded Bruce Bowen to the Chicago Bulls.

June 27, 2000: As part of a 3-team trade, traded by the Golden State Warriors with Jason Caffey to the Milwaukee Bucks; the Cleveland Cavaliers traded Bob Sura to the Golden State Warriors; the Milwaukee Bucks traded J.R. Reid and Robert Traylor to the Cleveland Cavaliers; and the Milwaukee Bucks traded Vinny Del Negro to the Golden State Warriors.

Aug. 22, 2000: Traded by the Milwaukee Bucks to the Detroit Pistons for Lindsey Hunter.
Man I hope he got to keep his frequent flier miles.

Chris Gatling

When I first thought about making this list, I naturally assumed Gatling would be the anchor. What NBA team in the 1990s didn’t trade for Gatling at one time or another? So imagine my surprise to see he was only been traded eight times.

Career trades: Eight. Golden State to Miami, Dallas to New Jersey, New Jersey to Milwaukee, Milwaukee to Orlando, Orlando to Denver, Denver to Miami, Miami to Cleveland, Cleveland to Miami

Most famous deals: Gatling went from Golden State to Miami alongside Tim Hardaway in 1996, went with Cassell and Jackson to the Nets in the much previously mentioned Nets-Mavs soiree, tag-teamed with Cassell again on the way to Milwaukee in the deal that sent Stephon Marbury to New Jersey, and made his third trip to Miami in 2001 in the MacLean deal.

Bonus trade: Gatling was actually included in nine trades if you consider that the pick used to select him in the 1991 draft was shipped from Philadelphia to Golden State in 1990 for Manute Bol.

Much love to Justin Kimbrell for the research assist in putting this one together.

Seen something that belongs on All Ball? Let us know via email or Twitter.

Clippers can't beat the Thunder in a 7 game series though, let's be real here.
I'm a big fan of their team, chris paul is the best PG, their bench is deep and they play great D but they do not match up well with the Thunder at all.

We beat them 3/4 games in the regular season last year and that was w/ Harden. Our team gained valuable playoff experience since then and you already know about that ether bench. KD/Russy can't play all 48 min and Ibaka/Perkins are not a real threat to our bigs especially when they start hacking away plus by the time we see them in the postseason Billups and G Hill will be there(even more weapons). We not scared of anyone in the Western Conf. ANYONE. Banners won't help teams beat us just in case you plan to go that route.

BTW breakdown the matchups when you get a chance please bruh (just curious).

Last edited:
now that the season is about 1/3 im considering getting nba league pass broadband for a few teams
just curious, how fast of a connection do i need to be able to stream the game without connection issues. my dsl at home isnt too fast. then again, i can just stick with the bad quality live streams that i can get for free >D

Wade lulz.

Seriously, Wade will be one player that I'll never mention or remember once he's retired. I literally have no respect, or appreciation for him. He'll just fade into oblivion in my eyes. Cant wait.

I agree. I have to believe something is in the works in terms of a change right now. We are severly lacking in depth. KD for example played 49 minutes last night out of 53. Our depth sucks too, especially everyone who is a holdover from last yr's bench mob. Turns out they only looked good because James made them look so. The Clippers are FAR deeper. Worst teams in the NBA are deeper, just not as top heavy. Speaking of which, Elias Sports Bureau on last night's game
From Elias: “Kevin Durant, Serge Ibaka and Russell Westbrook dominated their areas of expertise in the boxscore of the Thunder’s 111-105 overtime victory over the Mavericks. Durant had 40 points, Ibaka collected 17 rebounds and Westbrook contributed 10 assists; no teammate had more than half as many points, rebounds or assists, respectively. It marked only the second game in NBA history – and the first resulting in a victory – in which three different players reached those statistical levels – that is, one scored 40-or-more points, a second had 17-or-more rebounds, and a third had 10-or-more assists – while no teammate contributed more than half as many points, rebounds or assists. On Dec. 4, 2004, the Knicks, then coached by Lenny Wilkens, dropped a 107-101 decision to the Bobcats (then a first-year expansion team) in Charlotte; Jamal Crawford scored 41 points, Nazr Mohammed had 17 rebounds and Stephon Marbury had 11 assists, but no other Knicks player had half as many in any of those categories.”
You saw how Miami defends us though, just double team Russ/KD aggressively up top and force the ball down to Perkins to make a play and just let Perk and Serge **** up trying ot make "basketball plays." This bum *** ***** threw a PASS off the front of the rim for a turnover twice. He was 0 for 6 last night by the way and pouted like a ***** on a play when he went up for a rebound and Serge skied over him and grabbed it. He's so holding this team back, or Brooks insistance on playing him so damn much although props for FINALLY going small last night with the KD/Serge 4-5 combo. Why he won't do it against Miami though where it makes more sense, don't know.
But right now, I think the Clippers could take us out in a series. It'd go 7 probably either way, but some of our weaknesses (turnovers, bad shots) play right into their strength of getting into the open floor. At the same time, we have shown the ability to slow down Cp3 before both with WB and Thabo has gotten in his *** before too. Shut Blake down before too simply by prerotating pick and rolls
Here's an ESPN Insider article on just this topic (OKC vs LAC) by the way
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/PerDiem-121227/nba-three-reasons-clippers-better-thunder
Agree with everything. I saw perk sitting on the bench the whole 4th quarter pouting and not cheering at all. Clips are really really good but I still think we'd take them right now in 7.

Side note: Russ improved a lot over the off season in terms of passing and being better all around but what the hell happened to his mid range J? He improved his 3pt shooting but damn his pull up jumper is off right now.

On his transition pull ups, he's not jumping straight up and down on them as much. And his at the rim percentage is way down as well but that has as much to do with the fact he doesn't get calls at all any more unless he is murdered. I had a breakdown on his shooting %s last yr to this yr, I'll see if I can find it,

But here's more proof or Perk's uselessness

In about 42 minutes of floortime, the lineup of Westbrook, Martin, Thabo, Durant and Collison average 135.3 points per 100 possessions

In 464 minutes, the starters have a net efficiency of 4.9 (105.4 offensive to 100.4 defensive).

In 22 minutes, 127 points per 100, but 109.8 points allowed per 100 with Westbrook, Martin, Thabo, Durant, Perkins

The Thunder have established themselves as the league’s most efficient offensive team, so they don’t spend a lot of time contemplating wholesale change or worrying about an identity crisis. But the data continue to show that when Kevin Durant takes the floor with one big man — and this season it doesn’t matter who that big man is — the Thunder put up ridiculous numbers and suffer no ill effects defensively. Overall this season, when Durant is at the power forward, Oklahoma City’s net rating per 48 minutes is 24.9. That means they score 118.3 points and give up only 93.4. Piques your curiosity, doesn’t it?

Last edited:
What the hell... Melo's not playing tonight?? I really wanted to see him play in person 
frown.gif

I hope the Knicks get fined $250,000

On his transition pull ups, he's not jumping straight up and down on them as much. And his at the rim percentage is way down as well but that has as much to do with the fact he doesn't get calls at all any more unless he is murdered. I had a breakdown on his shooting %s last yr to this yr, I'll see if I can find it,

But here's more proof or Perk's uselessness

In about 42 minutes of floortime, the lineup of Westbrook, Martin, Thabo, Durant and Collison average 135.3 points per 100 possessions

In 464 minutes, the starters have a net efficiency of 4.9 (105.4 offensive to 100.4 defensive).

In 22 minutes, 127 points per 100, but 109.8 points allowed per 100 with Westbrook, Martin, Thabo, Durant, Perkins

The Thunder have established themselves as the league’s most efficient offensive team, so they don’t spend a lot of time contemplating wholesale change or worrying about an identity crisis. But the data continue to show that when Kevin Durant takes the floor with one big man — and this season it doesn’t matter who that big man is — the Thunder put up ridiculous numbers and suffer no ill effects defensively. Overall this season, when Durant is at the power forward, Oklahoma City’s net rating per 48 minutes is 24.9. That means they score 118.3 points and give up only 93.4. Piques your curiosity, doesn’t it?

Sounds good.

What the hell... Melo's not playing tonight?? I really wanted to see him play in person 
frown.gif

WTF.

Man, this some bull****
laugh.gif
mean.gif
Actually I think I saw him play a few years ago when he was with the Nuggets 
ohwell.gif
 I can't remember, I'll have to check the boxscore 

EDIT: I forgot you were going to the game tonight 
roll.gif
roll.gif

No Tyreke and probably no Cousins either 
laugh.gif
 hopefully you get to witness tons of Jimmer tonight tho!

Last edited by a moderator:
What the hell... Melo's not playing tonight?? I really wanted to see him play in person :frown:

WTF.

Man, this some bull**** :lol: :smh:
Actually I think I saw him play a few years ago when he was with the Nuggets :\  I can't remember, I'll have to check the boxscore 

EDIT: I forgot you were going to the game tonight :rofl: :rofl:

No Tyreke and probably no Cousins either :lol:  hopefully you get to witness tons of Jimmer tonight tho!

Just for that, I'm going to wear my 2009 championship t-shirt.

I was just gonna ask too 
laugh.gif
 if you were gonna wear Lakers gear or not. Luckily 99% of Kings fans are pretty chill. I am the 1% that would give you **** about it 
laugh.gif

I genuinely get my jimmies slightly ruffled when I see Lakers gear at a Kings game. I am guilty of doing that when I would go to Clippers games tho 
roll.gif
 but when they got good I finally just started rocking my old Quentin Richardson swingman from back in the day 
nthat.gif

cp3 dont have to be a systems player
cp3 is a better shooter
hes quicker, smarter and his fourth quarters are amazing when he gets to play
only thing i cant stand is his flopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom